Ping I500, IBlades or I230 replacing I20 iron set

Pokerilluminati

Looking for advice on the 3 ping iron models above. Currently an 8 HC gaming Ping I20s 4-S with AWS with steel shafts.

I have played the G10 & 20 and found then to be clunky and unable to dial in distances.

What I like about the I20 is that I can go 4-S and keep all of the irons the same style and not have to buy a (clunky) sand wedge. At this moment, I am good with picking up some wedges to compliment the set.

Distance control and feel are most important to me.

Thanks for your advice and feedback

You will be waiting several years for the i230's. :taunt:

If you are comfortable with the i20's and just want to update, the i210's would be a very worthy choice, with progressive offset and to me, better looking and better feel.

iBlades will be a bit more demanding, but still playable.

Really need to hit the i500's before you lock in on them - appears to be a love / hate. Many players are preferring the feel of the i210's over them.

I’m in the same place right now. Trying to decide between the same 3 iron models. I’m playing 919 Tours and they are awesome...just a little more demanding than I need right now.

I would prob go i210 if I were you. Line progression from the 20s. The i500s are nice, just seem like the long irons would be harder to hit.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I wish Ping made a matching SW (54*) for the i210s. I would probably still get a set of Gs but I too prefer the same set club through the SW.

Obviously, this probably isn't too popular of a choice so I can see what Ping doesn't do it. That being said, I can't imagine they sell a lot of G series LWs either...

I made this very switch 2 years ago from the i20 to the iBlade. Mild difference in forgiveness but turf interaction of the blade was markedly improved and would attribute that to different soles of the clubs.  I definitely like the blade more because of this. 

Playing partner of mine has the 210s and loves those too.  Think they’d be a solid middle ground between i20 and the iBlade.  

Good of luck and don’t think you’d go wrong with either of those. 

I went from TM 790's to the i500. The Ping i500 are butter. Can't recommend them enough. Really nice ball flight, no shooters like the 790's, the i500's launch higher and stop on the greens. I've had 0 gapping issues from the pw to my 50, 54, and 58 either. Long irons are easy to hit and launch well too. Great sticks. Just make sure you get the right shaft. I went with the PXLZ 5.5 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions.   Just returned from the range today and hit the I210 & I500 with a launch monitor. I hit the standard demo club black dot (forgot to check shaft.)

I210 

distance was equal to my current Ping I20.  Soft feel off the face and mishits were a club length short. 

Avg distance on 25 balls 156 yards

I500

higher launching irons than the I210.  The ball just seemed to carry forever.

Feel was slightly firmer than the I210.

Distance was nuts for me averaging 167.  I believe this is due to the face construction and stronger loft of 2.5 degrees.

Curious to see if the ping rep has a 4iron to try. If they are 1/2 as high as the 7 iron, there is a chance I add a 3 iron to the set.

Meeting with a Ping fitter at a local demo day this Saturday outside in Chicagoland to get a fitting.  Will give it some thought and demo again the following Saturday and make a purchase.

current distances all stiff shafts

Driver tour edge xcg5 12 degree  240 carry

3 Metal xcg5 220 carry

5 Metal xcg5 200 carry

4 iron 185

5 iron 175

6 iron 165

7 iron 155

8 iron 145

9 iron 135

P 125

U 115

S 105

L/SW garbage inside 100 lol

shakey said:
I’m in the same place right now. Trying to decide between the same 3 iron models. I’m playing 919 Tours and they are awesome...just a little more demanding than I need right now.

I would prob go i210 if I were you. Line progression from the 20s. The i500s are nice, just seem like the long irons would be harder to hit.

Negative . I500 long irons are crazy easy to hit.   I find that people that dig a little more like the I500.  I can't even hit the 210, too much bounce . Shaft plays a role in 500 and the ball.  I don't spend alot of time on the range but on the course they feel great . I don't find them much different than my S55 . 

Now ..I don't have distance issues with them . I'm pin high ALOT .  Even slight mishits, still fly .  Like all pings, mishit feels horrid . But that's how you know . You almost feel nothing with a solid strike, kind of a dead thud.  My playing partners know when I smoke one, the sound is pure in my mind. Different, but pure . I do use lighter shafts, 110s, and go a little heavier than stock SW, so mine have a little more filling for swing weight .  

One other thing, if I had to do it again I'd power spec PW -8 then bend them weak to even out the Gap .15 yd gaps for me on those then smooth 10 on up.  Get two clubs over my S55, whilst stronger by a few degrees (about 1 of those clubs) but super easy.  Dropped the hybrid, throw the 3.   

Also skipped the AW . Similar to readon above, the PW is a little clubky for me, I bent it strong for gapping, but that adds offset . Uncool . Going the other way with power spec might have been a clearer path .

Not much to help your choice, but they are darn beautiful clubs . 

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

WarEagle, can you lay out the distances your hitting each iron nd what wedges your hitting?  I am also concerned with the gapping in distances.  I have nevwe been a long hitter and the I500 have such a towering ball flight that i am enjoying on the range.   Will let you know what shafts they put me on after saturdaus 1st fitting.  Hoping the AWT as have worked well with the I20s.

The Glide 2.0 wedges are a good complement to the i210s - similar look and feel. Lots of choices for loft and bounce/grind as well.

I much preferred the feel of the i210 over the i500, but YMMV. I need to hit the i500 again as my swing has improved/changed quite a bit the last few month working with an instructor.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

> @Pokerilluminati said:

> WarEagle, can you lay out the distances your hitting each iron nd what wedges your hitting?  I am also concerned with the gapping in distances.  I have nevwe been a long hitter and the I500 have such a towering ball flight that i am enjoying on the range.   Will let you know what shafts they put me on after saturdaus 1st fitting.  Hoping the AWT as have worked well with the I20s.

Sure.

PW - 150

9i - 160

8i- 170

7i-180

6i-190

5i-200

4i-210

3i-220 230 tee'd

SS - 105 or a tick higher with driver. 6i it's like 86-88. Very high smash in all clubs. I had to bend the PW, 9, 8 almost a degree strong to close the gaps. It was a big gap after 8 to 7, 15 yds. So I strengthened the loft to add about 5 yds each to close it. Also had 5 and 9 that the lie was off, and it made a huge difference, if you have one that doesn't fly.

Use a 46* , 52, 58. consistent scoring clubs. Edel. I500 PW is 45*, but you get close to 10 yards from a normal (previously S55 PW - also 46*)

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Finally hit the i500’s and I was pleasantly surprised. Based on all the forum chatter about how harsh and clicky they are I wasn’t hopeful. That was not at all the case for me, they felt great on the screws. I liked them a lot! BB

• Like 1

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

> @Crankenstein said:

> So is it safe to say the 500s require a steeper AOA, given their higher VCOG, whereas the 210s can be swept? I don’t take a divot and am contemplating which to buy...

The i210 has a ton of bounce though so I don't know if I'd call it a "sweeper" club. It's a great club. I preferred the feel, look, and performance of the i210 over i500.

Been at the range for the last 2hrs hitting both I500 and I210. Taking a breather and crushing a portillos big beef, chocolate cake shake, jumbo dog along with a diet soda as i type. Keto will have to wait while i bing eat over this decision.

I500 with project x shaft ball goes a mile, clanky, could see issues with distance control. A full club length further today with the callaway range balls.

I210

Softer feel than 500s. Distance the same as I20s.

Headed back in 15 min to try some different shaft combinations.

Have a 1hr fitting lesson tomorrow at 5pm cst then pulling the trigger.

Any shaft reccomendations?

Was able to test out a number of shafts today. Was able to narrow it down to the DG210 and Modus stiff shaft. Really loving the penatrating ball flight with the the ball checking up on the greens. Fitting with PGA pro tomorrow and then placing order. Looking like I210 standard loft with the Modus stiff shafts. Will be ordering 2 Glide 2.0 wedges as well after speaking with fitter to determine lofts 54/58 or 55/60.

I have the Ping S55 irons, Z-Z65 and cushion insert. The I210 is the same basic design with a little bigger head and more forgiveness. Great club.

Which Modus Iron? You want to go with a slightly lighter shaft than the standard DG 124 gram shaft.

The stock Ping shafts have always been good, the AWT, Z-Z65, slightly lighter weight 105-110 grams. You can't go wrong with them. Make sure you get the cushion insert, it helps dampen the vibration ( saves the joints over time) and provide a softer feel.