Exotics range, quality and opinions

rkelso184rkelso184 Members Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey all, just wondering if there is some feedback on the Exotics gear in general. I have done a search and read plenty of small reviews including the Q&A but just wondering how everyone's gear has held up, any warranty issues? Is the gear still as good as it was? What are you playing and whos place in the bag it took. Just after honest opinions and how many clubs people tried but actually bought.

Also anyone gaming there improvement irons what would you say they are equal to look wise? Hoping to get a good look this week at the gear and my ego is saying "stick with a big brand" but my game is saying "help me anyway you can and stop being a bit#h"

Thanks in advance.

Driver - G410 Evenflow Black 70S
4W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
6W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
4H - JPX900 Fuji Pro 73HS
5 to P - P790 1" Over KBS Tour S
50-54-58 - MD4 Black DGS200 TI 
P - Spider X 35"
Ball - Chrome Soft

Comments

• Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,538 ✭✭

Can’t go wrong with Tour Edge Exotics fairway woods, hybrids, or the CBX Iron Wood. I haven’t tried the new driver yet.

• md1mmd1m Members Posts: 791 ✭✭

See if you can find a demo day and try them out against yours. If I can arrange to take a club out for a test drive on the course I'll let you know how that goes.

Clubs are fluid
  • lenman73lenman73 Members Posts: 811 ✭✭

As someone who has owned their stuff for years, from blades to game improvement irons and a driver, fairway wood and hybrid, it has all been top notch. I even have a putter now. I have no problem bagging their clubs.

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭

First, a little background on Tour Edge. Then, onto remarks on clubs.

TE was founded in 1986 in Batavia, IL (western Chicagoland) by former tour pro David Glod who is owner, president and chief designer. Glod's goal was to produce quality golf clubs for the average golfer.

The past few years Glod also has been an executive with the Web.com Tour. He served for a year as Web.Com president, before shifting in February to senior VP for global development.

TE started with the lower-cost Bazooka golf clubs line. (I played the useful low-profile Bazooka Beta-Ti 3W and 5W from 2002-2008). In 2006, TE launched the upscale Exotics clubs line, gaining notice in FWs for using early cupface technology, and combo brazing to bond titanium to steel while minimizing dead weight. This came in part as a counterattack against hybrid-era proclamations that the fairway wood was dead. The Exotics fairway woods started pushing the established brands for distance and playability, and have developed a cult following among golfers in the Midwest. The FWs and hybrids could be quite expensive, but the other clubs tended to undercut more big-name brands.

TE offers three product lines:
    * Exotics. Offers higher-end clubs: Drivers, FWs, hybrids, irons and wedges. Offering the popular EXS Driver for $299. EXS irons 5-PW start at $499. The Exotics line was augmented in 2018 with the CBX line, for competition golfers both pro and amateur. The CBX FW and hybrids have made a big splash on the Champions (Senior) Tour. CBX hybrids are billed as left-proof for those who have hook problems with hybrids. CBX Blade and Forged iron sets start at $1,000.
    * Hot Launch. These are mid-level clubs designed for the recreational golfers. Can be bought individually or as complete set for about $550. TE now pushing out full-scale Hot Launch fitting kits to its dealers.
    * Bazooka. Provides boxed sets to golfers. Can also buy Bazooka driver separately for $119.

For details: https://touredge.com/

Quality: Offers a lifetime guarantee if you buy TE clubs.
    Pro Staffers: Breaking with a longtime tradition, TE has hired Champions Tour players such as Tom Lehman and Scott McCarron as staffers. https://touredge.com/services/tournews.asp
    Glod: He still shows up on occasion at golf expos and demo days to push the TE products.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,649 ✭✭

tour ex9 3 wood was very reliable (and long) for me

Yadi for President
  • Ghost_OrchidGhost_Orchid Golf Junkie Members Posts: 2,066 ✭✭

I've only owned the 3W and 5W. Started with CB1, then upgraded to CB2, now have a CB3 5W and a 14.5* CB Pro 3W. Have never had any quality issues with any of my TE woods. Every season I try to replace them with a different brand (Nike, Srixon, TM, Callaway), the TEEs flat out perform. You can't go wrong with TEE woods.

• ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,838 ✭✭

CBX fairway and hybrid are 💲. I've hit the EXS driver and hybrid (Sim) and like them both quite a bit. EXS fairway looks great but have not hit it yet.

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,281 ✭✭

I have an XCG7 Beta driver and e8 beta 12* fairway wood. (the 12* was an experiment, due to my swingspeed being unchanged at 43" compared to 44" or 44.5")

Really excellent sticks. The driver was (still is) long, and lower spin than anything else I had. It was the first driver I had trouble keeping in the air, and I used to play a 7* SMT, LOL. It might be only marginally higher spin than the SLDR.

The e8 beta is quite long itself, and just spun too much to use as a driver replacement for me. I found off a tee that I'd get hurt in headwinds. Otherwise it was a worthy driver replacement. I found I could even hit it off the deck reasonably well.

One excellent thing about TEE sticks, they are using real deal shafts. The XCG7 Beta had a made for Black Tie, but the Rogue Silver in the e8 beta is real deal. There are also Diamanas offered, Kuro Kage TiNi shafts, and so on. It's a good deal buying new, but if you buy a used stick, it becomes an excellent deal. Imagine paying under $100 for a club with a real Rogue Silver or D+ 80. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • bjmdobjmdo SCMembers Posts: 259 ✭✭

I have had numerous products over the years. I have found their products to have incredibly tight tolerances and quality.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5 with Graphite Design AD-TP 6X
    Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with Fujikura Pro 2.0 7X
    Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD HY 85X
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 5-PW with KBS C-taper Lite X-flex, hard-stepped 1x
    Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron NP2
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
  • LONGBALL777LONGBALL777 Members Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have the original TEE Hybrid from 2006 in my bag and it's NEVER coming out. My favorite club. Need I say more?

• towncryertowncryer Members Posts: 398 ✭✭
    edited Mar 24, 2019 3:07pm #12

I work in a golf shop that carries Exotics. While I don't play any Exotics equipment myself, I can say that I've not seen issues with quality. Additionally, we have a playability guarantee at our shop that's 20 days and you get 80% back in store credit for all brands except Tour Edge/Exotics...that's 30 days and 100% back. I've never seen someone bring back an Exotics wood/fw/hybrid within 30 days after actually playing it and seeing it do its thing outside.

Irons...we don't do nearly as much in irons for TE/Exotics. They have a GREAT looking blade and players' cavity that we don't carry in fitting heads (even thought I wish we would). I'd love to have the players who come in looking at big OEM blades and CBs hit the Exotics stuff and see what they think. I've hit both when our rep brought all his gear for a demo day, and I really liked them.

As far as game improvement irons go, we have a tough time getting Exotics in the hands of people in that category. They see the adverts for the big boys, and that's typically all they're interested in. I've even had people bristle when I suggest a brand they've never heard of because they think I'm either forcing them into something I'll make a big commission on OR that I'm not taking them seriously financially and so I'm suggesting a less expensive brand.

G400 10.5 w/ Tour 65x
    915 2h Diamana D+
    PING iBlade 3-PW DGS400
    SM7 52, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
    Vice Pro Plus LIME!!!!
  • duffer18duffer18 Members Posts: 351 ✭✭

I've had Exotics fairways and hybrids. Have not found a driver that fits. Right now I have an Exotics EX10 beta 4 fairway--it's a great club. It beat out a Callaway Rogue 4 wood. I went for a fitting recently at a high end place, and the guy told me not not bother trying to replace it. I'm a hacker, about a 14 hi, 67 years old, 90-93 swing speed, and the EX 10 is the most reliable club in my bag--goes long and mostly straight every time.

• PokerilluminatiPokerilluminati Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

I have the xcg6 driver, 3 &5 Metal and have been extremely hPpy. Went to a demo day and hit the new EXS yesterday. Placing order this next weekend for the 10.5 driver, 3 & 5 Metal. Was quoted a price of $250 for the driver and $190 for the 3 & 5 metals.

The reason for the upgrade is the adjustable settings and new technology.

• tbonetwtbonetw Members Posts: 383 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 9:09am #15

I have the CBX 3 wood and 18* hybrid. Love them both. Relatively forgiving. They look great, feel great and they flat out go. I've owned the original CB1, the E8 Beta and now the CBX. I tried the hybrid and it was good enough to kick my 8 year old Adams out of the bag.
    The EXS I found to be very forgiving and easy to launch. It also seemed a little draw biased as everything was turning over, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for most people.
    I would at least give them a shot. I have a friend who is TEE through the bag and he loves all of them. He plays one of their GI sets from several years ago. I find all the equipment now to be really good from nearly every brand, with a few standouts in each category. As for fairway woods I find the Exotics fairway woods to be just slightly a cut above everyone else, as Adams was with hybrids for years.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Hzrdus Smoke
    TEE CBX 15* Hzrdus Black
    TEE CBX 18* Hzrdus Black
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hm Pro KBS C-taper lite 
    Titleist SM6 50*,54*,60**
    Wilson Infinite West Loop
    Snell MTB X
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy Lefty Boomers Posts: 677 ✭✭

Exotics clubs are very good quality, if something fits your needs -I would not hesitate to pull the trigger.
    Have had a broad range of their product over the years...XCG 3 woods, hybrids, Had a full set of their XCG irons for about 4 years - but not the right shaft for me. Had a driver. Currently have an EX-10 3 wood. Great stuff and excellent customer service.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (15) - Exotics EX10 Aldila Rougue Silver 70 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
  • jsnolandjsnoland Members Posts: 156 ✭✭

Have been using the CBX 13.5 for about a year now, and I can't find anything that comes close to knocking it out of the bag. And when I did have an with a rattling sound in the head, I sent it back under the warranty and had a no-questions-asked replacement in my hands within a week. Haven't really hit any of the other clubs they offer, but the CBX has been great.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5 (set to C1), HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5
    3W - Tour Edge Exotics CBX 13.5*, HZRDUS Black 75g 6.5
    2I - TaylorMade P790 UDI 17*, HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    4I - PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Tour, Project X LZ 6.0 120
    Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy Forged (50.10, 54.10, 58.08), DG Tour Issue
    Putter - TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Center Shaft
    TaylorMade TP5x
  • mcd22mcd22 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭

I was also curious about their game improvement irons, and I found on their website where you can order an EXS 7 iron for about fifty bucks. I play Epon 702 but was struggling, the EXS 7 iron is really more like a six iron in loft. I really like the EXS on the range. My miss this year anyway seems to be out towards the toe, with my Epon I feel like I lose way more distance on those mis-strikes than on the EXS. The EXS are high and long for me. In looks I think they are not terribly different from one of the Callaway or Taylormade game improvement irons. I think it looks nice, of course I bought Epon and 95% of the people who look in my bag have no idea who that is and assume it is some kind of knock off. If I can't get my ball striking more consistent, I will definitely consider the Exotics.

• ballzoballzo Members Posts: 637 ✭✭

I've had multiple sets of both TE drivers and fairways over the last 5+ years. Good stuff IMO.

Tour Edge XCG6 9*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff 42.75in
    Sonartec MD 17* Fujikura Banzai stiff
    Sonartec MD 21* Fujikura Banzai stiff
    Sonartec MD 25* Fujikura Banzai stiff
    MacGregor Pro-C 5-P S300
    Scratch Golf JLM-SND 52*, JLM-SFU 58*
    Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar
    Titleist NXT Tour S
  • pakpak Members Posts: 134 ✭✭

I just put an Exotics EXS 3 wood in the bag. It is as good as any I have tried. I'm not sure how much I like about them marketing as a value based product line, but I do like their fairway woods.

• Indygolfer85Indygolfer85 Members Posts: 215 ✭✭

@pak said:
    I just put an Exotics EXS 3 wood in the bag. It is as good as any I have tried. I'm not sure how much I like about them marketing as a value based product line, but I do like their fairway woods.

What shaft are you gaming? I’ve found their stock options to be lacking

Callaway Rogue SZ 9* GD AD IZ 
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 14* Tensei Blue 
    TEE XCG 6 19* Ozik 
    Wilson Staff V6 4-G PX6.0
    Callaway MD Forged 55* PX6.0
    Callaway PM 2.0 60* PX5.5
    Putter: Odyssey Rossie White Hot Pro
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,281 ✭✭

@Indygolfer85 said:

@pak said:

Starting with the E8 Beta, their shafts have been real deal Rogues, Diamanas, etc.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • MooJerseyMooJersey Members Posts: 443 ✭✭

I currently play the Tour Edge EX10 beta in a 3 wood. Took the place of a Callaway Steelhead 4 wood. I love this club and I will be very hesitant to give it up. I thought about purchasing a back up as well. Thing is solid and long for me. I play it off the tee, from the fairway, and rough punch outs. Great club...

Cobra F8+ Driver - EvenFlow Blue
    TEE EX10 Beta 3W - HZRDUS Red
    Cobra F8 3H, 4H, 5H (stock Aldila Rogue)
    Titleist 718 AP2 6-PW, AMT Black
    Vokey SM7 50-12F
    Vokey SM7 56-14F
    Odyssey Works 2-Ball
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,455 ✭✭

Sill bag my CB2 15 degree 3 metal that I got new when they 1st came out. After about 8 years, my shaft eventually wore out from bag rubbing and they replaced the shaft per the lifetime guarantee. I did have to send in the club and they reshafted it.

• slide13slide13 Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭
    edited Apr 19, 2019 4:57pm #25

Last year I picked up a TEE EX10 Beta strong 3 wood at 13*. I used it for my minimal setup as my main club off the tee (no driver) and as a fairway wood and it was amazing!! Really long off the tee, as long as my driver basically, and surprisingly easy to hit off the fairway as well. Very forgiving and probably up there as one of my favorite clubs of all time.

I say "was" because during my last round of last season it was very wet and I slipped during my swing and managed to shank one of the toe edge of the club (not the toe side of the face but way off onto the crown of the club on the toe edge). Put a huge dent in it. No fault of the club, would have happened to any club I'm quite sure. It actually still plays just fine for now, just not sure how long I trust it to hold together.

So, I went looking for a replacement and couldn't find an identically shafted 13* but did find a 15* version in the same specs otherwise so I snapped it up quick.

Basically, so happy with my TEE EX10 Beta that I bought it twice.

oh....and if you're wondering why it's not in my WITB below....still need to get a midsize grip installed on it before I can put it into play.

Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • pakpak Members Posts: 134 ✭✭

@Indygolfer85 said:

@pak said:

I went with the standard Tensei Blue CK 60 in the 17 degree 3 wood. It's supposed to be an original rather than a "made for" shaft. I've only had it out for 1 range session and liked the ball flight better than last year's EX10 with the Tour AD shaft.

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,435 ✭✭

only club i gamed for some time was the XCG7 Beta 3w...thing was a friggin cannon. i honestly would've taken them a bit more seriously but i just never grabbed them when getting fit - mostly b/c the demo kit for them was sparse at best. i loved the look of their blades they had at PGA superstore.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set +1/D) / DF 70TX tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• WoodridgeWoodridge Earl of Aberdovey ChicagolandMembers Posts: 1,895 ✭✭

I bought a Ex10 hybrid a couple of years ago and liked it enough that I purchased a 2nd refurbished one directly from Tour Edge. I specifically asked to demo their driver when I was fitted recently. It didn't give me the best numbers, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be the best for you. A buddy who doesn't play much owns a set of their bazooka irons and hybrids. They are great clubs for the money and he's very happy with them.

Callaway Epic Flash 12* Accra FX 2.0 140 M2
    Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 3 hybrid
    XXIO9 4 hybrid
    XXIO9 5 hybrid
    Tour Edge Exotics EX10 6 hybrid
    PXG 0311, Accra i70, 7-G
    Vokey 56
    Epon Copper 208KGX 58 bent to 60
    Ping Redwood ZB 33" w/Flatso 1.0 Counterweight grip

"Let's take a drive, and run with the dogs tonight in Suburbia"