Exotics range, quality and opinions

rkelso184

Hey all, just wondering if there is some feedback on the Exotics gear in general. I have done a search and read plenty of small reviews including the Q&A but just wondering how everyone's gear has held up, any warranty issues? Is the gear still as good as it was? What are you playing and whos place in the bag it took. Just after honest opinions and how many clubs people tried but actually bought.

Also anyone gaming there improvement irons what would you say they are equal to look wise? Hoping to get a good look this week at the gear and my ego is saying "stick with a big brand" but my game is saying "help me anyway you can and stop being a bit#h"

Thanks in advance.

First, a little background on Tour Edge. Then, onto remarks on clubs.

TE was founded in 1986 in Batavia, IL (western Chicagoland) by former tour pro David Glod who is owner, president and chief designer. Glod's goal was to produce quality golf clubs for the average golfer.

The past few years Glod also has been an executive with the Web.com Tour. He served for a year as Web.Com president, before shifting in February to senior VP for global development.

TE started with the lower-cost Bazooka golf clubs line. (I played the useful low-profile Bazooka Beta-Ti 3W and 5W from 2002-2008). In 2006, TE launched the upscale Exotics clubs line, gaining notice in FWs for using early cupface technology, and combo brazing to bond titanium to steel while minimizing dead weight. This came in part as a counterattack against hybrid-era proclamations that the fairway wood was dead. The Exotics fairway woods started pushing the established brands for distance and playability, and have developed a cult following among golfers in the Midwest. The FWs and hybrids could be quite expensive, but the other clubs tended to undercut more big-name brands.

aybsyr950y6y.png

**TE offers three product lines:**

* Exotics. Offers higher-end clubs: Drivers, FWs, hybrids, irons and wedges. Offering the popular EXS Driver for $299. EXS irons 5-PW start at $499. The Exotics line was augmented in 2018 with the CBX line, for competition golfers both pro and amateur. The CBX FW and hybrids have made a big splash on the Champions (Senior) Tour. CBX hybrids are billed as _left-proof_ for those who have hook problems with hybrids. CBX Blade and Forged iron sets start at $1,000.

* Hot Launch. These are mid-level clubs designed for the recreational golfers. Can be bought individually or as complete set for about $550. TE now pushing out full-scale Hot Launch fitting kits to its dealers.

* Bazooka. Provides boxed sets to golfers. Can also buy Bazooka driver separately for $119.

For details: [https://touredge.com/](https://www.touredge.com/ "https://touredge.com/")

------------------

**Quality:** Offers a lifetime guarantee if you buy TE clubs.

**Pro Staffers:** Breaking with a longtime tradition, TE has hired Champions Tour players such as Tom Lehman and Scott McCarron as staffers. [https://touredge.com/services/tournews.asp](https://www.touredge.com/services/tournews.asp "https://touredge.com/services/tournews.asp")

**Glod:** He still shows up on occasion at golf expos and demo days to push the TE products.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I've only owned the 3W and 5W. Started with CB1, then upgraded to CB2, now have a CB3 5W and a 14.5* CB Pro 3W. Have never had any quality issues with any of my TE woods. Every season I try to replace them with a different brand (Nike, Srixon, TM, Callaway), the TEEs flat out perform. You can't go wrong with TEE woods.

I have an XCG7 Beta driver and e8 beta 12* fairway wood. (the 12* was an experiment, due to my swingspeed being unchanged at 43" compared to 44" or 44.5")

Really excellent sticks. The driver was (still is) long, and lower spin than anything else I had. It was the first driver I had trouble keeping in the air, and I used to play a 7* SMT, LOL. It might be only marginally higher spin than the SLDR.

The e8 beta is quite long itself, and just spun too much to use as a driver replacement *for me*. I found off a tee that I'd get hurt in headwinds. Otherwise it was a worthy driver replacement. I found I could even hit it off the deck reasonably well.

One excellent thing about TEE sticks, they are using real deal shafts. The XCG7 Beta had a made for Black Tie, but the Rogue Silver in the e8 beta is real deal. There are also Diamanas offered, Kuro Kage TiNi shafts, and so on. It's a good deal buying new, but if you buy a used stick, it becomes an excellent deal. Imagine paying under $100 for a club with a real Rogue Silver or D+ 80. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have had numerous products over the years. I have found their products to have incredibly tight tolerances and quality.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I work in a golf shop that carries Exotics. While I don't play any Exotics equipment myself, I can say that I've not seen issues with quality. Additionally, we have a playability guarantee at our shop that's 20 days and you get 80% back in store credit for all brands except Tour Edge/Exotics...that's 30 days and 100% back. I've never seen someone bring back an Exotics wood/fw/hybrid within 30 days after actually playing it and seeing it do its thing outside.

Irons...we don't do nearly as much in irons for TE/Exotics. They have a GREAT looking blade and players' cavity that we don't carry in fitting heads (even thought I wish we would). I'd love to have the players who come in looking at big OEM blades and CBs hit the Exotics stuff and see what they think. I've hit both when our rep brought all his gear for a demo day, and I really liked them.

As far as game improvement irons go, we have a tough time getting Exotics in the hands of people in that category. They see the adverts for the big boys, and that's typically all they're interested in. I've even had people bristle when I suggest a brand they've never heard of because they think I'm either forcing them into something I'll make a big commission on OR that I'm not taking them seriously financially and so I'm suggesting a less expensive brand.

• Like 1

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

I've had Exotics fairways and hybrids. Have not found a driver that fits. Right now I have an Exotics EX10 beta 4 fairway--it's a great club. It beat out a Callaway Rogue 4 wood. I went for a fitting recently at a high end place, and the guy told me not not bother trying to replace it. I'm a hacker, about a 14 hi, 67 years old, 90-93 swing speed, and the EX 10 is the most reliable club in my bag--goes long and mostly straight every time.

I have the xcg6 driver, 3 &5 Metal and have been extremely hPpy. Went to a demo day and hit the new EXS yesterday. Placing order this next weekend for the 10.5 driver, 3 & 5 Metal. Was quoted a price of $250 for the driver and $190 for the 3 & 5 metals.

The reason for the upgrade is the adjustable settings and new technology.

I have the CBX 3 wood and 18* hybrid. Love them both. Relatively forgiving. They look great, feel great and they flat out go. I've owned the original CB1, the E8 Beta and now the CBX. I tried the hybrid and it was good enough to kick my 8 year old Adams out of the bag.

The EXS I found to be very forgiving and easy to launch. It also seemed a little draw biased as everything was turning over, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for most people.

I would at least give them a shot. I have a friend who is TEE through the bag and he loves all of them. He plays one of their GI sets from several years ago. I find all the equipment now to be really good from nearly every brand, with a few standouts in each category. As for fairway woods I find the Exotics fairway woods to be just slightly a cut above everyone else, as Adams was with hybrids for years.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

Exotics clubs are very good quality, if something fits your needs -I would not hesitate to pull the trigger.

Have had a broad range of their product over the years...XCG 3 woods, hybrids, Had a full set of their XCG irons for about 4 years - but not the right shaft for me. Had a driver. Currently have an EX-10 3 wood. Great stuff and excellent customer service.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Have been using the CBX 13.5 for about a year now, and I can't find anything that comes close to knocking it out of the bag. And when I did have an with a rattling sound in the head, I sent it back under the warranty and had a no-questions-asked replacement in my hands within a week. Haven't really hit any of the other clubs they offer, but the CBX has been great.

I was also curious about their game improvement irons, and I found on their website where you can order an EXS 7 iron for about fifty bucks. I play Epon 702 but was struggling, the EXS 7 iron is really more like a six iron in loft. I really like the EXS on the range. My miss this year anyway seems to be out towards the toe, with my Epon I feel like I lose way more distance on those mis-strikes than on the EXS. The EXS are high and long for me. In looks I think they are not terribly different from one of the Callaway or Taylormade game improvement irons. I think it looks nice, of course I bought Epon and 95% of the people who look in my bag have no idea who that is and assume it is some kind of knock off. If I can't get my ball striking more consistent, I will definitely consider the Exotics.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had multiple sets of both TE drivers and fairways over the last 5+ years. Good stuff IMO.

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.12 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

> @pak said:

> I just put an Exotics EXS 3 wood in the bag. It is as good as any I have tried. I'm not sure how much I like about them marketing as a value based product line, but I do like their fairway woods.

What shaft are you gaming? I’ve found their stock options to be lacking

Titleist TSR2+ 12.75*
Ping G425 19.5*

Titleist TS2 4h 22*
Ping i210 5-PW
Vokey SM8 52*/58*
Ping Prime Tyne
Titleist Pro V1

> @Indygolfer85 said:

> > @pak said:

> > I just put an Exotics EXS 3 wood in the bag. It is as good as any I have tried. I'm not sure how much I like about them marketing as a value based product line, but I do like their fairway woods.

>

> What shaft are you gaming? I’ve found their stock options to be lacking

Starting with the E8 Beta, their shafts have been real deal Rogues, Diamanas, etc.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I currently play the Tour Edge EX10 beta in a 3 wood. Took the place of a Callaway Steelhead 4 wood. I love this club and I will be very hesitant to give it up. I thought about purchasing a back up as well. Thing is solid and long for me. I play it off the tee, from the fairway, and rough punch outs. Great club...

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

Last year I picked up a TEE EX10 Beta strong 3 wood at 13*. I used it for my minimal setup as my main club off the tee (no driver) and as a fairway wood and it was amazing!! Really long off the tee, as long as my driver basically, and surprisingly easy to hit off the fairway as well. Very forgiving and probably up there as one of my favorite clubs of all time.

I say "was" because during my last round of last season it was very wet and I slipped during my swing and managed to shank one of the toe edge of the club (not the toe side of the face but way off onto the crown of the club on the toe edge). Put a huge dent in it. No fault of the club, would have happened to any club I'm quite sure. It actually still plays just fine for now, just not sure how long I trust it to hold together.

So, I went looking for a replacement and couldn't find an identically shafted 13* but did find a 15* version in the same specs otherwise so I snapped it up quick.

Basically, so happy with my TEE EX10 Beta that I bought it twice.

oh....and if you're wondering why it's not in my WITB below....still need to get a midsize grip installed on it before I can put it into play.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

> @Indygolfer85 said:

> > @pak said:

> > I just put an Exotics EXS 3 wood in the bag. It is as good as any I have tried. I'm not sure how much I like about them marketing as a value based product line, but I do like their fairway woods.

>

> What shaft are you gaming? I’ve found their stock options to be lacking

I went with the standard Tensei Blue CK 60 in the 17 degree 3 wood. It's supposed to be an original rather than a "made for" shaft. I've only had it out for 1 range session and liked the ball flight better than last year's EX10 with the Tour AD shaft.

only club i gamed for some time was the XCG7 Beta 3w...thing was a friggin cannon. i honestly would've taken them a bit more seriously but i just never grabbed them when getting fit - mostly b/c the demo kit for them was sparse at best. i loved the look of their blades they had at PGA superstore.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I bought a Ex10 hybrid a couple of years ago and liked it enough that I purchased a 2nd refurbished one directly from Tour Edge. I specifically asked to demo their driver when I was fitted recently. It didn't give me the best numbers, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be the best for you. A buddy who doesn't play much owns a set of their bazooka irons and hybrids. They are great clubs for the money and he's very happy with them.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff D9 forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

• 1 year later...

I've played nothing but exotics fw's since their inception. I still remember having to change from the 15* CB1 to a 16.5* because it was too long, literally 10 yards behind my driver at the time and that was off the deck. I still play an xcg3 and have a CB5 as well. I've yet to find any fw I like better. I love the lifetime warranty and their quality is top notch. I also have a David Glod milled putter that holds it's own with my Byron, Giannini, Slighter. If you haven't at least tried their product you are missing out.

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3