2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The Honesty of Golfers

Well, I was a little bummed out on Saturday after discovering that I left my R61 Sandy Andy at the course after a nice morning round with Baloo. So I quickly called the course and let the pro know about it.

He knew exactly what the club was (he is older) and said he would watch for it.

I haven't left a club on the course for years, maybe decades, aside from the occasional heave into the woods or nearby pond for especially offensive ones. To leave a Sandy Andy behind..... How could I?

Well, thanks to the honesty of golfers the story has a happy ending. I called today and someone turned it in shortly after I called about it. I pick it up tomorrow after work. Woo hoo!

Just glad there are honest golfers in the world.

Of course my story is nothing compared to this:

https://golfweek.com/2018/08/08/wrong-tommy-fleetwood-gets-british-open-payout-of-154000-he-does-self-report-the-error/

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I turned in a sweet Eye 2 SW a few weeks ago.

I was proud of myself. ;)

Glad you also encountered an honest golfer. It used to be the norm but now, not so much sadly.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Some years ago I leaned my Cleveland low-bounce sand wedge against the fence on the 12th tee and forgot to put it back into my bag only realising what I'd done when I had to play a bunker shot on the 13th.

We were being followed by a pair of scruffy individuals and I crossed over and asked if they had seen my wedge,I got mumbled denials and a refusal to make eye contact and I said to my pal that I would bet one of them had it in his bag.

I reported the loss to the then professional and asked him to keep an eye out for it.

Couple of weeks or so later I was mooching round the shop and had a look in his 2nd hand club bin.

Amazing!

There in the bin was a Cleveland 900 low bounce 56 sand wedge just like the one I'd misplaced and at a bargain price!

It did find it's way back into my bag,at no cost.

I would have looked in their bags myself to make sure they hadn't 'accidentally picked it up.'

Glad to hear it was found though

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 3 weeks later...

Some years ago I leaned my Cleveland low-bounce sand wedge against the fence on the 12th tee and forgot to put it back into my bag only realising what I'd done when I had to play a bunker shot on the 13th.

We were being followed by a pair of scruffy individuals and I crossed over and asked if they had seen my wedge,I got mumbled denials and a refusal to make eye contact and I said to my pal that I would bet one of them had it in his bag.

This was the fate of my 1957 Hogan Precision 9 iron several years ago. Unfortunately, I never got it back. But, enter Teevons to save the day.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

I found myself recently, on the other end of the stick, fortunately for me, a couple of weeks ago.

I had picked up a semi-modern set of Japanese Bridgestones at a Play-it-Again about six months ago. Note: Easiest to hit irons I have ever had in my hands.

Modern lofts, so I was needing something to “fill the gap” between the PW and my 56. As luck and da bay would have it, a matching gap wedge was up for auction. I purchased it, from The Land of the Rising Sun.

I left it at an out of town tournament I played in. Didn’t realize it for a couple of days. Called the course and it had been turned in. Now, that could be because the finder wasn’t familiar with the brand, but, I, rather like to think more on the optimistic side, and, hold to the thought it was found by an honest golfer.

In a somewhat ironic twist, two weeks later when Baloo and I went back to the same course, I found a very nice modern Ping 8 iron on 12 next to the green. My first thought was, "Oh, here is a pitch and run guy...". So I stuck it in my bag intending to turn it in. Perhaps this was a test...

Two holes later we saw the group in front of us and were close enough for me to inquire about the lost club. One of the group was very grateful that I found it since he was using a borrowed set of clubs. As I returned to our fairway, I heard the man tell his group, "We don't have to tell Rich about this, right...?"

I'd like to think that most golfers are honest enough not to keep a found club, but rather turn it in at the clubhouse. It happened quite regularly at the nine hole course I used to work at. If I happened to be lucky enough to have an idea who a found club might belong to they were always so grateful to have them returned. A little good karma never hurt anybody!

Still, it is surprising at the number of clubs that never get claimed by the end of the year. Some get recycled into rental sets if there's a need for a specific club. Others may get picked over by staff with the balance getting sent to Goodwill. I know that the clubhouse manager takes a couple of boxes of lost and found along with a couple of bundles of clubs out for donation every year.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I found myself recently, on the other end of the stick, fortunately for me, a couple of weeks ago.

I had picked up a semi-modern set of Japanese Bridgestones at a Play-it-Again about six months ago. Note: Easiest to hit irons I have ever had in my hands.

Modern lofts, so I was needing something to "fill the gap" between the PW and my 56. As luck and da bay would have it, a matching gap wedge was up for auction. I purchased it, from The Land of the Rising Sun.

I left it at an out of town tournament I played in. Didn't realize it for a couple of days. Called the course and it had been turned in. Now, that could be because the finder wasn't familiar with the brand, but, I, rather like to think more on the optimistic side, and, hold to the thought it was found by an honest golfer.

Maybe the irony of a missing gap wedge was too much to bear for the finder.

Modern lofts, so I was needing something to "fill the gap" between the PW and my 56. As luck and da bay would have it, a matching gap wedge was up for auction. I purchased it, from The Land of the Rising Sun.

I left it at an out of town tournament I played in. Didn't realize it for a couple of days. Called the course and it had been turned in. Now, that could be because the finder wasn't familiar with the brand, but, I, rather like to think more on the optimistic side, and, hold to the thought it was found by an honest golfer.

You wouldn't know it by watching the news on TV (or anything else on television or the big screen) but there is still WAY more good folks than bad.

Turn off the boob tube, put a smile on your face and get out and mingle with your fellow humans.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

This was the fate of my 1957 Hogan Precision 9 iron several years ago. Unfortunately, I never got it back. But, enter Teevons to save the day.

Tim saved my day too (what a guy) I found a set of Hogan Grinds in the bins one day. The 8 iron was missing but Tim had one matching shaft and all he sent it to me. Later on I found a set of 54 Precisions in the bins missing the 8 iron (it is a conspiracy). Super Dan just happened to have one that matched and he sent it to me. So many great members on here

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I'd like to think that most golfers are honest enough not to keep a found club, but rather turn it in at the clubhouse. It happened quite regularly at the nine hole course I used to work at. If I happened to be lucky enough to have an idea who a found club might belong to they were always so grateful to have them returned. A little good karma never hurt anybody!

Still, it is surprising at the number of clubs that never get claimed by the end of the year. Some get recycled into rental sets if there's a need for a specific club. Others may get picked over by staff with the balance getting sent to Goodwill. I know that the clubhouse manager takes a couple of boxes of lost and found along with a couple of bundles of clubs out for donation every year.

We get that a lot around here in this tourist area. Most folks lose a club and when they get home and sober up have no idea what course they left it at. Most courses here if they have address label on them will contact the customer and UPS it back free of charge. A lot of unclaimed clubs get donated to the First Tee here. Some of them get scrapped especially older non conforming ones and if they are Cleveland 588s Vokeys or Wilson JPs guess who pounces when they hit the yard?

You wouldn't know it by watching the news on TV (or anything else on television or the big screen) but there is still WAY more good folks than bad.

Turn off the boob tube, put a smile on your face and get out and mingle with your fellow humans.

I do not watch the news or regular TV other than the Golf Channel or Jimmy Swaggert----- For good folks I come on here in this section or over In the Clubhouse Grill section of the 19th hole---- I also go over on MGS some same name same avatar

• 6 months later...

> @"BIG STU" said:

> scomac2002 wrote:

>

>

>

> I'd like to think that most golfers are honest enough not to keep a found club, but rather turn it in at the clubhouse. It happened quite regularly at the nine hole course I used to work at. If I happened to be lucky enough to have an idea who a found club might belong to they were always so grateful to have them returned. A little good karma never hurt anybody!

>

>

>

> Still, it is surprising at the number of clubs that never get claimed by the end of the year. Some get recycled into rental sets if there's a need for a specific club. Others may get picked over by staff with the balance getting sent to Goodwill. I know that the clubhouse manager takes a couple of boxes of lost and found along with a couple of bundles of clubs out for donation every year.

>

>

>

>

> We get that a lot around here in this tourist area. Most folks lose a club and when they get home and sober up have no idea what course they left it at. Most courses here if they have address label on them will contact the customer and UPS it back free of charge. A lot of unclaimed clubs get donated to the First Tee here. Some of them get scrapped especially older non conforming ones and if they are Cleveland 588s Vokeys or Wilson JPs guess who pounces when they hit the yard?

I have found many clubs, a staff bag, wallets, a couple range finders - always turned them in. I believe karma is a real thing; but I turn them in because I'd want my stuff turned in if I ever lost anything. The only thing I don't retrieve is the socks I see on the side of the road. I figure if they wanted to escape and got that far, I shouldn't interfere

I play mainly in Vets comps and it’s not unusual to be picking up clubs around the green and returning to the owner up ahead except for once where in walking past the ladies tee there was a driver and wood ,both with broken shafts laying on ground . We left them there and did not enquire with the ladies foursome ahead if anyone left a club or two behind.