Mizuno FanBoy... P790 Replacement

Marc21Golf

My girlfriend and I recently moved in together... and she brought up the fact that every sports equipment and all my tennis shoes are Mizuno brand. So i'm thinking to myself... I should get Mizuno Irons! I currently have in the bag P790's. I picked up two Mizuno CLK hybrids (3 and 4) a few weeks ago at the local golf show, got them for a really good price I coudln't say no to. So i'm looking to get rid of my 4-A P790 and get something in the 5-A in Mizuno.

I'm going to get fit for a set of Mizuno's but I don't know which one. With the 919's being out for a little bit now, any thoughts on what compares to the 790's? I recent hit the 919 forged, MMC and the MP18's, I love the look and the feel of them, but honestly i'm not good enough to play them. I'm a 12 hdcp and according to trackman I carry the MMC 6 iron 153 on average. I know it's due to the lofts, so I like the extra "distance" the P790's give me.

What I love the most about the MMC and the MP18's was the smaller head shape and smaller heal to toe length, makes me feel there is less room to miss and I hit a majority of them out of the center, more often that I do with my P790. Bigger club face = more room to miss the middle, is that a thing? lol

So long story short, anyone out there game the P790 and switched to a mizuno iron, or have something to compare? I know most of you will probably say to go try them all and I've tried some, but not all yet. That is coming this week with snow melting and a little warmer weather. For someone like me, is the MMC/Blade out of the question? Can I get them bent to stronger lofts to maybe help with some distance gapping?

I recently sold off my 790s after falling in love with my MMC/SC combo set. I didn’t lose anything with my the MMC vs the 790s and gained much more consistency with the short iron SC irons.

If you’re worried about losing a distance, check out the 919 Hot Metal Pros. You get the face tech of the Hot Metal with a more player-like appearance. They’re basically a forgiving iron in a players package, similar to the 790s.

• Like 1

919 hot metal pro or hot metal, if distance is really something you’re looking for.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

919 Forged. They are a wonderful balance of playability, power, good looks and forged feel.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Just gone from P790 to HMPro, distance virtually the same but the Mizzy is more forgiving. The 919 forged are around half a club shorter than the P790 and like you I just did not want to give up those yards.

HMPro all day long....

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R[/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R[/color][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][color=#a9a9a9]Callaway Epic Heaven Wood [/color][/size][/font][color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Diamana green R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon ZU65 5 [/size][/font][/color][color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Mizuno S18 50/55/60[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A9A9A9][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Bettinardi Studio Stock 3 [/size][/font][/color]

If you want the newest, check out the HM Pro's.  If a year or so older try the Fli-Hi 4, 5 and 6 and the MMC in the 7-pw.  Similar handicap as you and that's what I played and loved all of last year.  

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, MMT 105S

Cleveland RTX 6, 60 mid, Tour Rack Raw,Nippon Modus wedge 115

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

Just got fit into JPX 919 Forged.  I've tried a lot of clubs in demo over the last couple of years, including some good sessions with 790.  760 was on my short list.  But Mizuno won the day, and felt good, too.  MP 18 MMC were also good, but i have a toe miss, so that little bit longer blade and weight out on the toe with JPX 919 could make a difference on that particular miss.

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

Thanks for all the responses!

Update:  I went and hit more mizuno irons.  I REALLY like the MMC/SC combo, in terms of size of the head and the look of it at address.  Again, to me:  smaller head means less room to miss and I during my session, i hit more out of the middle with these than I did my P790 and the HM PRO.  

I REALLY like the performance with the HM PRO, in terms of yards and it fit the gap with my hybrids better than the MMC/SC combo. 

I'm guessing the consistency on course would be better w/ an MMC/SC Combo.  I'm still torn between which irons to get... more hitting sessions to come in the near future!

Thanks for all the responses!

Update:  I went and hit more mizuno irons.  I REALLY like the MMC/SC combo, in terms of size of the head and the look of it at address.  Again, to me:  smaller head means less room to miss and I during my session, i hit more out of the middle with these than I did my P790 and the HM PRO.  

I REALLY like the performance with the HM PRO, in terms of yards and it fit the gap with my hybrids better than the MMC/SC combo. 

I'm guessing the consistency on course would be better w/ an MMC/SC Combo.  I'm still torn between which irons to get... more hitting sessions to come in the near future!

You may want then to consider yardages at the course/s you normally play.  If you're comfortable with the distance the MMC/SC combo gives you wherever you play, should be an easy call.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Update again.

Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?

I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.

Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try

~~JPX 919 Tour~~

JPX 919 Forged

JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

~~JPX MP18~~

JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

> @Marc21Golf said:

> Update again.

> Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?

> I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.

> Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try

> ~~JPX 919 Tour~~

> JPX 919 Forged

> JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

> ~~JPX MP18~~

> JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

> @Marc21Golf said:

> Update again.

> Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?

> I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.

> Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try

> ~~JPX 919 Tour~~

> JPX 919 Forged

> JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

> ~~JPX MP18~~

> JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

Gonna have to go back a generation to MP-25. MP-5/MP-25 imo were much better than current mp-18 line. Understand your a fanboy but if you want to find a special iron the Srixon z785.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

> @jcorna01 said:

> > @Marc21Golf said:

> > Update again.

> > Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?

> > I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.

> > Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try

> > ~~JPX 919 Tour~~

> > JPX 919 Forged

> > JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

> > ~~JPX MP18~~

> > JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

>

> I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

Tigers fan eh? Where are you doing your fitting? I'm also in Michigan. Let me know how your fitting goes and if you recommend their services!

> @Marc21Golf said:

> > @jcorna01 said:

> > > @Marc21Golf said:

> > > Update again.

> > > Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?

> > > I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.

> > > Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try

> > > ~~JPX 919 Tour~~

> > > JPX 919 Forged

> > > JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

> > > ~~JPX MP18~~

> > > JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

> >

> > I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

>

> Tigers fan eh? Where are you doing your fitting? I'm also in Michigan. Let me know how your fitting goes and if you recommend their services!

Yes...tough times for Tiger fans. I'm going to Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor/Ypsi.

> @LaymanM said:

> > @Marc21Golf said:

> > Update again.

> > Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?

> > I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.

> > Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try

> > ~~JPX 919 Tour~~

> > JPX 919 Forged

> > JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

> > ~~JPX MP18~~

> > JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

>

> Gonna have to go back a generation to MP-25. MP-5/MP-25 imo were much better than current mp-18 line. Understand your a fanboy but if you want to find a special iron the Srixon z785.

I'm not familiar with the mp-5/mp-25. Are their MMC > @jcorna01 said:

> > @Marc21Golf said:

> > > @jcorna01 said:

> > > > @Marc21Golf said:

> > > > Update again.

> > > > Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?

> > > > I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.

> > > > Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try

> > > > ~~JPX 919 Tour~~

> > > > JPX 919 Forged

> > > > JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

> > > > ~~JPX MP18~~

> > > > JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

> > >

> > > I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

> >

> > Tigers fan eh? Where are you doing your fitting? I'm also in Michigan. Let me know how your fitting goes and if you recommend their services!

>

> Yes...tough times for Tiger fans. I'm going to Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor/Ypsi.

I live in ypsi, but prefer carl's in plymouth usually. Let me know how your fitting goes when you're finished. i'm going to schedule a fitting soon after I hit the clubs a few more times!

Here is a recommendation that is a blast from the past.

The MP H5 irons are a hollow body iron, like your P790's. They would be more forgiving, and easier to hit higher than most of the Mizuno irons that you are considering. You mentioned that you MMC 6-iron distance is 153 - sort of like what I hit in my old AP1 6-iron. At our club head speed and handicap, I would recommend playing a semi-distance iron that is also forgiving.

Find an old set of MP H5's and re-shaft to your shaft of choice.

A few years ago, the great Jack Nicklaus was playing them in his longer irons along with Miura's in his short irons.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I just made this change. I went from the 790’s and wanted to get some Mizuno Irons. I hit all the MP-18 line. Went from a C-Taper 120 shaft to a nippon 950t shaft with the MP-18 SC head. It just felt effortless. The yardages were about 3 yds difference and the small head helped. I’ve got a smoother swing and pretty consistent. They should be in this week can’t wait to get them on the course.

> @jcorna01 said:

> > @Marc21Golf said:

> > > @jcorna01 said:

> > > > @Marc21Golf said:

> > > > Update again.

> > > > Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?

> > > > I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.

> > > > Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try

> > > > ~~JPX 919 Tour~~

> > > > JPX 919 Forged

> > > > JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

> > > > ~~JPX MP18~~

> > > > JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

> > >

> > > I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

> >

> > Tigers fan eh? Where are you doing your fitting? I'm also in Michigan. Let me know how your fitting goes and if you recommend their services!

>

> Yes...tough times for Tiger fans. I'm going to Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor/Ypsi.

Are you doing a Basixx or Maxx fitting? Just curious

> @Marc21Golf said:

> > @jcorna01 said:

> > > @Marc21Golf said:

> > > > @jcorna01 said:

> > > > > @Marc21Golf said:

> > > > > Update again.

> > > > > Went back and hit all the clubs again. Is there a club in the MP line or any other line offered that is comparable to the 919 Forged that I could try? That would offer me the same forgiveness?

> > > > > I'm rulling out the MP18 and the 919 Tours, although I love the head size/shape, i definitely want/need some help for off centered strikes. Im afraid i'll regret my purchase because they aren't forgiving at all lol.

> > > > > Still on the list unless theres more out there you reccomend to try

> > > > > ~~JPX 919 Tour~~

> > > > > JPX 919 Forged

> > > > > JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro

> > > > > ~~JPX MP18~~

> > > > > JPX MP18 MMC / SC Combo?

> > > >

> > > > I think MMC would be the closest to the forged from Mizuno. I'm a similar HC to you and i'm going to hit the Hot Metal Pro's and 919 forged during my fitting on Friday. Only serious non-Mizuno contender is Srixon at this point but i'm also intrigued by the G410's,

> > >

> > > Tigers fan eh? Where are you doing your fitting? I'm also in Michigan. Let me know how your fitting goes and if you recommend their services!

> >

> > Yes...tough times for Tiger fans. I'm going to Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor/Ypsi.

>

> Are you doing a Basixx or Maxx fitting? Just curious

I'm doing the Maxx.