2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What’s Replacing Your Ping G400 Max for 2019?

G-Bone

For those of you who played G400 Max last season and have dropped It for something shiny and new in 2019... what was it... what new driver beat out your trusty Max?

For me so far the only thing to come close on Trackman has been TaylorMade M5... but not close enough to unseat the Max just yet.

Curious who’s made the switch and to what.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I let the Cobra f9 battle the GMax. The f9 lost badly. The GMax also beat out a regular g400 when I originally bought it. I attempted to let the rogue challenge it but the one I bought was cracked so I sent back to Callaway pre-owned without hitting it.

Finally I tried one last club. After 2 rounds I can say that the GMax may have met it's match. For me the g400 LST has better feel and slightly more distance. However, a bad swing is more apt to snap hook. The GMax seems to hold off the snap hook due to toe hits much better. Going to continue the testing but I really like the LST. I will keep both driver no matter who becomes primary.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

You may be able to find a driver that produces lower spin and the occasional higher ball speed on certain strikes, but the GMax is so consistent in ball speed across the face, and so stable on mishits, that it's tough to find an overall better performer once you've got your specs dialed-in. I've got an F9 that is a really good fit also, and "best for best" it is longer than the Max, but if I had to play in a match for my life tomorrow, I'd put the Max back in the bag.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I have an m5 and gmax. I hit them 4 times side by side on the course in testing. In testing I hit the m5 straighter and at least 15 yards longer on those 4 holes. One hole the m5 was 34 paces longer.

The next day I gamed the m5, and hit three balls in the water and three out of bounds. I have more testing to do. I think I'd like a 10.5 m5 head instead of the 9* and that might help. I do have an accra tz6 75 stiff and heavier weight in the gmax and it's like swinging a 2x4 piece of wood and an tensei orange for it.

I have a fitting scheduled for Wednesday, hope to hit the m5, gmax, flash, g410.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I looked really hard at the Max when testing drivers recently, but ended up ordering a G410 to replace my M6 (which was a beast in the simulator, but not so much in real world). The G410 carries about 10 yds longer than the TM due to better launch and spin numbers.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Once you go Max you never go Bax

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 Driver 10.5* Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 15* Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 21* Evenflow Riptide 70 6.0

Srixon ZX Utility 23* Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX Hybrid 25* Evenflow Riptide 80 6.0

Srixon ZX7 6-P Modus 120s

Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52*,56*,60* Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. Golf B.2 LAGP TPZ ONE35

Srixon Z-Star

I had the G400 Max all last season. I am not nearly as enchanted with it as others. I don't jump around a lot on drivers so I tried to make it work. Tried several shafts and settings but never got comfortable. I think I made a mistake getting the 10.5 head. I have had one good demo session with a TS3 and I sold the G400 Max head immediately. I had been in a 913D3 prior to the G400 and it just felt great to be hitting a Titleist again.

Titleist TSI2 9.0 Tensei 1k White 50 TX
Ping G430 Max 3w Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 19 Hybrid Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist TSI2 4 Hybrid Tenseit White 90x
Titleist T200 5 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist T100S 6-PW PX 6.5

Vokey SM8 49 PX 6.5 SM8 54 PX 6.5
Taylormade Hi toe 60 KBS tour V 115
Toulon Atlanta 35"

> @dpb5031 said:

> You may be able to find a driver that produces lower spin and the occasional higher ball speed on certain strikes, but the GMax is so consistent in ball speed across the face, and so stable on mishits, that it's tough to find an overall better performer once you've got your specs dialed-in. I've got an F9 that is a really good fit also, and "best for best" it is longer than the Max, but if I had to play in a match for my life tomorrow, I'd put the Max back in the bag.

This is basically what I found with M5. On the best of best shots, M5 has more ball speed and slightly more distance. However, when I hit 10 shots with each side by side, Max beat M5 average for distance and dispersion.

M5 had lower launch and higher spin than Max, with higher club head and ball speed. I will continue to mess around with M5 hosel placement, weight placement, and shaft combos to see if there is a more winning package than my dialed in Max.

For discussion's sake, I have also hit G410, F9, M6, TS3 and Epic Flash with none being better for me than Max.

• Like 1

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

> @swizbeatz said:

> Probably the 410 if anything. I’ve been messing around with an M5 and I like the Max more.

G410 didn't perform for me. Good news is everything I hear about G410 LST coming at the end of June is great; supposedly the lowest spinning most forgiving driver head combo Ping has ever made... look forward to giving it a go.

Looks like we will see a G410 Max in the fall too... so that could be interesting.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Made a shaft change as well as a different loft G400 Max head and it started to come alive yesterday. Tinkered with an F9 over the last couple months and while a touch longer than both my M5 and the G400 Max, I just didn't think I would get along with it long-term. M5 has been really good every time I've had it out so far, and then yesterday it finally cost me a few strokes. It is still the front-runner for now, but the G400 Max was pretty much right there with it. Last hole was a reachable par 5 and hit one ball with each and the M5 may have gotten it by 5 yards at most, but the Max swing was a just a tiny bit of a wipe which I expected to be further back than 5 yards to be honest.

410 seems to be 50/50 on being amazing for some and not even in the discussion for others. Strange results so far as Ping drivers are usually pretty consistent across the user base. Still have a couple left to try, but M5 and G400 Max are both phenomenal.

• Like 1

The 410 plus set to draw is a pretty long setup for me. Cuts spin and strong flight. I like the head shape and matte paint. Maybe I am just used to Ping but I think the 410 looks sharp.

I am gaming the G400 w Tour shaft, which was longer for me than the MAX. The 410 and F9 look good from address to me. I am gaming the F9 3W and the ball feels so good off the face that I took a look at the driver. It I do change drivers, however, it would be difficult to move from Ping. It was the move to Ping that really put me in much better position off the tee more consistently. Yes, fixing a sequencing flaw under the eye of an excellent teaching pro was happening at the same time and was the key to getting me back on track, but that said, the Ping is definitely easier for me to put in the fairway vs other heads.

I probably can hit a few drivers a bit longer but some of those are experiments (the M1 440, for example) did not work. Not going for M5. Do like the look of the M6. Reports are it is quite forgiving.

The golf stat I focus on is greens in regulation and which driver puts me in best position to do well in that category. Pitching out of the trees will not help GIR!

The Titleist drivers (D2/TS2/TS3) also were strong on producing a tight dispersion. One of those, the F9, 410 plus, M6 and Mizzy ST190 (their best in years) would be my contenders. Not in any hurry.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Nothing. I'm driving it straighter and hitting more fairways than I ever have. The more confident I get with it, the harder I'm hitting and the further it's going all while being just dumb consistent and dependable. I wish I could change the sound of it to sound like the dull thud of the old M2 but that's a small thing to me.

I tried the Max ( two different heads) last year in a few shafts that fit me well and got rid of them pretty quickly. I really wanted to make it work, even if it cost me a few yards. But my M3 and the LST were better.

While being fit in late October, we tried it again with another shaft and a new head that was digitally lofted and I saw how impressive the right head and shaft could be. Even then I was cautious about going down that road again. For a month or so all I thought about is how easy it was to hit that day and eventually decided to give it another shot. It'll take something really special to replace this set up. I'm done for a while.

> @toc said:

> M5 for me, longer and way better feel/sound

Sound and feel are the main reason I wanted F9 or M5 to work for me lol... two of the best sounding/feeling drivers I have hit in a long time.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

So far so good with the Max. I love to tinker but the Max is really good. I have a Rogue 125 in mine and I am really happy.

G430 Max 9 Degrees Accra FX 3.0

G430 LST 3 Wood Ventus Red 6S

Cobra TEC 3 and 4 Hybrid MitsubishiMMT Stiff

JPX Forged 5-G Steelfiber 95R

Callaway Jaws 54m and 58z

Mizuno OMOI #5

> @Wooderson said:

> I let the Cobra f9 battle the GMax. The f9 lost badly. The GMax also beat out a regular g400 when I originally bought it. I attempted to let the rogue challenge it but the one I bought was cracked so I sent back to Callaway pre-owned without hitting it.

>

> Finally I tried one last club. After 2 rounds I can say that the GMax may have met it's match. For me the g400 LST has better feel and slightly more distance. However, a bad swing is more apt to snap hook. The GMax seems to hold off the snap hook due to toe hits much better. Going to continue the testing but I really like the LST. I will keep both driver no matter who becomes primary.

I have a G400Max and really like the looks of it, but it was quite spinny and the sound was LOUD! I bought a used LST head on eBay and man... the LST head is amazing. It's forgiving (while not quite as forgiving as the Max) but it sounds completely different than the Max (in a good way). Ball flight is more penetrating and carry is much better than the Max with the same shaft. I love the slightly smaller head too. Something about smaller heads just seem to fit me better than the giant ones.

Was fit into the G400Max, and it has made my driver the most consistent club in the bag. Not even going to look at other options for the foreseeable future (heresy I know ). I will however work in my new F9 3W and see how that plays.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Going to skip this year’s offerings. Going to be all over the inevitable G420, though. I’d preorder it now, if they’d let me.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft