Completed Bag Anxiety Issue

SoloShot84

With my repeatable swing, I find my bag is complete for my highcap game and just have to work on game itself not the bag. However, I feel more anxious ever that I should change something from my bag setting but cannot find any pitfalls in my bag.

for my bag setup:

Driver: Cobra F8+ ADIZ gives me enough distance with little curve here and there but straight enough not to lose a single ball this season. (230-250yd)

3wood: M2 ADDI is only for mid range tee shots. used 1-2 times per round but enough to keep a spot in my bag (220-230yd)

3hybrid: JPX900 just perfect for laying up on par 5 or long par 3. easy to hit off turf and never pulled on tee shots (215yd)

3UDI: 18* with inch short ADDI gives most accurate 200yd tee shot. just dead straight. (200yd)

Srixon z565/765 (5 - P): recently, I really wanted to replace them but have failed many times. my game most suffers from 200 - 100 range but I know that it is me but irons. (115 - 190)

MD3 50/56/60: 50* is just automatic 100yd with full swing and 75yd with 3/4. 56* flys 85yd on full and 50ish on half. My short game within 25yd costs me most of my strokes but that is only when I miss fire my approach to green. so, cant really blame my wedges for not covering my iron game.

SC Newport: always been blade type putter and can't really get myself love with other type in look department. I am such a visual person.

**_Am I finally cured? or cursed?_**

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not losing a single ball all season with a driver?!!

I don’t even think Fred Funk can claim that unless your season is 3 rounds max, and even that’s a risky proposition... Hope you didn’t just jinx yourself!

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S))

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 17* (stock HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

RTX ZipCore 52* Mid (DG Tour Issue)

SM9 58-10S (DG)

HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
Eleven CS

Any urethane “X” ball

> @95124hacker said:

> Not losing a single ball all season with a driver?!!

> I don’t even think Fred Funk can claim that unless your season is 3 rounds max, and even that’s a risky proposition... Hope you didn’t just jinx yourself!

7 Rounds played so far this year and none lost by driver.

lost couple by some wild iron shots though

> @SoloShot84 said:

> With my repeatable swing, **I find my bag is complete for my highcap game** and just have to work on game itself not the bag. However, I feel more anxious ever that I should change something from my bag setting but cannot find any pitfalls in my bag.

>

> for my bag setup:

> Driver: Cobra F8+ ADIZ gives me enough distance with little curve here and there but straight enough not to lose a single ball this season. (230-250yd)

> 3wood: M2 ADDI is only for mid range tee shots. used 1-2 times per round but enough to keep a spot in my bag (220-230yd)

> 3hybrid: JPX900 just perfect for laying up on par 5 or long par 3. easy to hit off turf and never pulled on tee shots (215yd)

> 3UDI: 18* with inch short ADDI gives most accurate 200yd tee shot. just dead straight. (200yd)

> Srixon z565/765 (5 - P): recently, I really wanted to replace them but have failed many times. my game most suffers from 200 - 100 range but I know that it is me but irons. (115 - 190)

> MD3 50/56/60: 50* is just automatic 100yd with full swing and 75yd with 3/4. 56* flys 85yd on full and 50ish on half. My short game within 25yd costs me most of my strokes but that is only when I miss fire my approach to green. so, cant really blame my wedges for not covering my iron game.

> SC Newport: always been blade type putter and can't really get myself love with other type in look department. I am such a visual person.

>

> **_Am I finally cured? or cursed?_**

Just to be clear, when you say "I find my bag is complete for my highcap game", does that mean you're a high handicapper (if so, what is it ?) or does that mean you're a better player who often plays against higher handicappers ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I am a high handicapper. Shooting around 90-94> @nsxguy said:

> > @SoloShot84 said:

> > With my repeatable swing, **I find my bag is complete for my highcap game** and just have to work on game itself not the bag. However, I feel more anxious ever that I should change something from my bag setting but cannot find any pitfalls in my bag.

> >

> > for my bag setup:

> > Driver: Cobra F8+ ADIZ gives me enough distance with little curve here and there but straight enough not to lose a single ball this season. (230-250yd)

> > 3wood: M2 ADDI is only for mid range tee shots. used 1-2 times per round but enough to keep a spot in my bag (220-230yd)

> > 3hybrid: JPX900 just perfect for laying up on par 5 or long par 3. easy to hit off turf and never pulled on tee shots (215yd)

> > 3UDI: 18* with inch short ADDI gives most accurate 200yd tee shot. just dead straight. (200yd)

> > Srixon z565/765 (5 - P): recently, I really wanted to replace them but have failed many times. my game most suffers from 200 - 100 range but I know that it is me but irons. (115 - 190)

> > MD3 50/56/60: 50* is just automatic 100yd with full swing and 75yd with 3/4. 56* flys 85yd on full and 50ish on half. My short game within 25yd costs me most of my strokes but that is only when I miss fire my approach to green. so, cant really blame my wedges for not covering my iron game.

> > SC Newport: always been blade type putter and can't really get myself love with other type in look department. I am such a visual person.

> >

> > **_Am I finally cured? or cursed?_**

>

> Just to be clear, when you say "I find my bag is complete for my highcap game", does that mean you're a high handicapper (if so, what is it ?) or does that mean you're a better player who often plays against higher handicappers ?

>

If it works don't change it and just because you don't hit your 3wd alot in a round doesn't mean that you should remove it from the bag! I would only consider removing it if you had to because you have too many clubs in the bag.

Some people think that if you don't hit a club alot throughout the round then it is not worth having in the bag and should be replace with something else, which is wrong!

Not to put ideas in your head, but you might think about 4H, 5H, and/or 6H and ditch the longer irons. If you hit your 3H straight/consistent, odds are you would hit the other hybrids well.

The Y chromosome is linked to Long Iron Attachment Syndrome though, so YMMV.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

> @nostatic said:

> Not to put ideas in your head, but you might think about 4H, 5H, and/or 6H and ditch the longer irons. If you hit your 3H straight/consistent, odds are you would hit the other hybrids well.

>

> The Y chromosome is linked to Long Iron Attachment Syndrome though, so YMMV.

man... I have 4H in place 3UDI switching but 5H/6H are going to take lots of gut

I really don't agree re: 5 and 6 hybrids. Maybe 4 but he already has a near GI 4 iron. I find hybrids really weird to use once they've got a lot of loft on the. I'd not mess around with the bag too much. What about your iron shots are you finding difficult? What is your miss? Were you fit for those?

I find it really suspicious that on the one hand you describe all your clubs as being pretty dad gum automatic but yet you seem to doubt them as a whole. Something tells me you're not so automatic, especially if you're out there playing bogey-golf shooting low-90s.

If I was driving it well enough that I could theoretically use the same ball for 7 rounds, I would expect myself to hit ~50% of my GIR (maybe more).

Yet when you look at players that shoot in the low-90s, they hit maybe 25% of their GIR, So I think that's the problem. I'd be disappointed with my approach shots if I was getting good looks and only converting 25% of the time.

That said, if you are indeed hitting 7-8 GIR per round and yet you're still shooting 90+ then your putting might just suck out loud. As we know from WRX, there are lots of golfers who practice their long game but still shoot bogey-golf because they refuse to practice putting.

Figure out what's driving your scores up and it may lead to a better understanding of why you're not as confident in your clubs as you imagine. Then again, there's no better cure for bag anxiety than hitting good shots! Sometimes it's not the clubs at all. ;)

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @balls_deep said:

> I really don't agree re: 5 and 6 hybrids. Maybe 4 but he already has a near GI 4 iron. I find hybrids really weird to use once they've got a lot of loft on the. I'd not mess around with the bag too much. What about your iron shots are you finding difficult? What is your miss? Were you fit for those?

Yeah I prefer 3UDI over 4H because of occasional pull. my iron miss are pushes and that usually short side me from green to recover. i was not fitted for the irons as they are standard LLL

> @MelloYello said:

> I find it really suspicious that on the one hand you describe all your clubs as being pretty dad gum automatic but yet you seem to doubt them as a whole. Something tells me you're not so automatic, especially if you're out there playing bogey-golf shooting low-90s.

>

> If I was driving it well enough that I could theoretically use the same ball for 7 rounds, I would expect myself to hit ~50% of my GIR (maybe more).

>

> Yet when you look at players that shoot in the low-90s, they hit maybe 25% of their GIR, So I think that's the problem. I'd be disappointed with my approach shots if I was getting good looks and only converting 25% of the time.

>

> That said, if you are indeed hitting 7-8 GIR per round and yet you're still shooting 90+ then your putting might just suck out loud. As we know from WRX, there are lots of golfers who practice their long game but still shoot bogey-golf because they refuse to practice putting.

>

> Figure out what's driving your scores up and it may lead to a better understanding of why you're not as confident in your clubs as you imagine. Then again, there's no better cure for bag anxiety than hitting good shots! Sometimes it's not the clubs at all. ;)

you observed right. like I mentioned in OP, I suffer from approach with inaccurate irons from 200-120 in.

I really wanted to replace my irons but I failed. and they are pretty damn accurate off tee on par 3s.

so, I guess it is really me not hitting them well off turf

I don't want to get into the whole player iron/blade/GI thing here because it really releases the hounds at times, but I would say if you're going to look at anything it would be 1. Getting your irons fitted and 2. Tons of short game practice.

If you're shooting over 90 consistently, I don't really see any advantage in using clubs that are meant to work the ball if you're missing a lot of greens. As @MelloYello said, if you're genuinely not losing tee balls and they're mostly a reasonable distance out there, you're losing a lot of strokes on approaches. If I miss, I hit a shot that is a "smart miss" most of the time which doesn't leave me shortsided. You say your lose strokes from around 25 yards and that could be because those chips and pitches you're forcing yourself to hit are low percentage. You need an iron that goes high and straight. I'd literally be looking towards Ping G series or the like so that you can make the game a bit more boring. High straight iron shots are all you need to break 90. If you get stuck behind a tree just punch it back into the fairway. If you're playing bogey golf you don't need to be hitting 30 yard hooks around trees at the green. I'd highly recommend going to a good fitter and trying some different clubs that give you good distance, spin, height, angle of descent, and dispersion. Could make a difference.

> @SoloShot84 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > I really don't agree re: 5 and 6 hybrids. Maybe 4 but he already has a near GI 4 iron. I find hybrids really weird to use once they've got a lot of loft on the. I'd not mess around with the bag too much. What about your iron shots are you finding difficult? What is your miss? Were you fit for those?

>

> Yeah I prefer 3UDI over 4H because of occasional pull. my iron miss are pushes and that usually short side me from green to recover. i was not fitted for the irons as they are standard LLL

Fitting is nice but it's not going to make a big difference unless you need clubs that are far from standard LLL. I assume you're about average height?

If that's the case, just work on your swing. The best players only make equipment changes when they're in control of their swing. They don't try to improve their flaws through bag changes. Keep that in mind and just go figure it out. I think your bag looks fine.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @SoloShot84 said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > I really don't agree re: 5 and 6 hybrids. Maybe 4 but he already has a near GI 4 iron. I find hybrids really weird to use once they've got a lot of loft on the. I'd not mess around with the bag too much. What about your iron shots are you finding difficult? What is your miss? Were you fit for those?

> >

> > Yeah I prefer 3UDI over 4H because of occasional pull. my iron miss are pushes and that usually short side me from green to recover. i was not fitted for the irons as they are standard LLL

>

> Fitting is nice but it's not going to make a big difference unless you need clubs that are far from standard LLL. I assume you're about average height?

>

> If that's the case, just work on your swing. The best players only make equipment changes when they're in control of their swing. They don't try to improve their flaws through bag changes. Keep that in mind and just go figure it out. I think your bag looks fine.

True but if he just grabbed them off BST or something they might not be the best clubs for his swing. I've hit irons before that just flat out make my swing feel weird. Best to test.

> @balls_deep said:

> True but if he just grabbed them off BST or something they might not be the best clubs for his swing. I've hit irons before that just flat out make my swing feel weird. Best to test.

Yeah, I'm going by what I'm reading. He described himself as a high-handicapper whose missed approaches are pushes that miss the green entirely. If he's consistently missing greens with his mid- and short-irons he needs to go get that figured out.

In these cases I try to go one step beyond (despite being in the equipment forum) and simply push people to avoid talking about equipment altogether until they get some control over their game. Maybe he gets a fitting down the road but if he's struggling with his basic iron swing he's got to get that sorted for a fitting to even mean anything anyway.

With all that being said, shooting 90 ain't really that bad and doesn't necessarily constitute a "high-handicapper." He's really probably like a 15-handicap who's lucky enough not to be losing strokes off the tee. If that's the case he's just got to take control of his approach game and he'll be a 10 or 12 pretty quick.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @SoloShot84 said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > I really don't agree re: 5 and 6 hybrids. Maybe 4 but he already has a near GI 4 iron. I find hybrids really weird to use once they've got a lot of loft on the. I'd not mess around with the bag too much. What about your iron shots are you finding difficult? What is your miss? Were you fit for those?

> >

> > Yeah I prefer 3UDI over 4H because of occasional pull. my iron miss are pushes and that usually short side me from green to recover. i was not fitted for the irons as they are standard LLL

>

> Fitting is nice but it's not going to make a big difference unless you need clubs that are far from standard LLL. I assume you're about average height?

>

> If that's the case, just work on your swing. The best players only make equipment changes when they're in control of their swing. They don't try to improve their flaws through bag changes. Keep that in mind and just go figure it out. I think your bag looks fine.

yeah 5'10" avg. I will pay more close attention to my swing. Thanks!

Sounds like me a few years ago. It's completely a**-backwards, but I felt like my bag had to be "locked in" before I could work on my game. It is a disease :smile:

Anyways, once you are in a comfortable spot equipment-wise (and it sounds like you are), you can focus on breaking 90 consistently. For me that took 2 things: keeping the ball in play, and fine tuning my short game. You've got the first part down, now get out there and practice nothing but putting, chipping, and wedges until you you have another breakthrough in your handicap.

After that, the reward is that you are now good enough to optimize your game a little bit more through equipment! You will be a little more wizened about your own faults and inconsistencies at that point, and have a better idea of where you are losing strokes

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
UW 17* Smoke 70s

Fli-Hi 19* Smoke 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

If you have doubts that the irons are the right fit for you then I'd take them to a reputable club builder and get the lofts and lies checked on them - anywhere decent will be able to put you through a fitting at the same time, then adjust the ones you have accordingly.

I had to go to a couple of places to find somewhere that wasn't trying to sell me some hideous set of massively offset Pings, but I asked at a club I joined as a Twilight Member and they were superb - no hard sell and did the entire exercise for free (as by luck I'd bought a second hand set off the Internet that fit perfectly) - I was that impressed I sent my Wedges in to get regripped and ended up buying an 818 H2 from them.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Chip n runs to 25 metres.Practice that and make it Automatic like the 50 wedge. Thats my Tip.Great Bag.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Chip n runs to 25 metres.Practice that and make it Automatic like the 50 wedge. Thats my Tip.Great Bag.

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip

> @LaymanM said:

> 4 wood and 4 hybrid if you want to tinker. My guess is you are pretty weak from 160-220 yards off the deck. Rarely hitting GIR or close to pin.

so I have 4 hybrid on bench that sometimes replaces 3UDI. I certainly show weakness from 160-220 but I rarely hit anything to green from that distance though.

I usually play 6500yd course