Blades and graphite shafts

jsmil4901

Anybody out there playing blades with graphite shafts? I really like the looks of blades, and I currently play recoil graphite shafts in my irons and they perform well for me. Currently playing CF16. My handicap is 9. I love the look of the new Callaway blade and I'm wondering how they may perform with graphite. I have not seen many people who play graphite shafts and blades, so is there a reason for this? Are blades deigned to play with heavier steel shafts and would graphite cause swing weight problems? Thanks in advance.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5, set at 9.5 stock R-flex
Taylormade M2 3 wood R-flex stock shaft.
Tour Edge Exotic EX9 hybrids, 2 and 5 Recoil R-flex shaft.
Taylormade P790 5-PW Modus 105 R-flex shafts
Titleist Vokey 50,54 and 58 wedges
Odyssey 2 ball.

I used to have a set of MP68’s with the matrix Ozik program shafts in them, loved them and played some great golf with them.

Couple of swing changes made me see my launch and spin climb so have gone back to steel in my blades now (all three sets ?)

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

I am going down this road now. I think that with graphite being 100g plus range there is no reason not to. I have wanted to do this for a while cause of back issues but deep down I don’t think graphite is going to do all that much compared to rotational changes, but truly if it is 15% better on my back that would be worth it to me.

I have the heads for this already and am looking at shafts now, and I want to be able to go in the 90s with this set. I am a Little SW concerned, you can’t just jam weight in graphite shafts. Not a big hole at bottom and nothing past the hosel or could have problems. I am one to not care at all about lead tape....however, I really want this to be a vanity set of sorts since it is a project, I may even copper plate them. My gamers I don’t even clean.

I just got a cb set with recoil 110 f4 prototypes as part of my graphite experiment and so far I am enamored with them. I think they feel way better than the steelfiber I have hit at store and I am not sure what is head and what is shaft as the set is out of my normal zone, but the recoils feel very very very good to me. I had program 130s in x flex a long time ago and hated those, but I think that is cause graphite in real stiff flexes feels dead and hard.

Oh yeah, I don’t think you see graphite in blades cause:

1. Blades guys are generally old school and would scoff at graphite dispersion, despite advances.

2. Blades guys have swingspeed and probably grew up on DG and heavy shafts. I have hit shafts at the store and I can handle the 95 I think with practice, but it is crazy how you lose all sense of the club when you try light shafts, and I only play 115/120 steel mostly. Really under that 95 gets weird when used to even 115 steel.

3. Graphite has come a long way (recoils great example) in wieght without feeling dead and boardy at weight and flex. But really, how many tech enthusiasts that want to adopt graphite want to do so with blades? Not a popular combo. Anyone embracing graphite probably thinks playing blades is archaic.

4. Price price price. Good graphite is stupid expensive. In fact it is really almost unjustifiable. That said, all golf stuff is a premium, but still. I am looking $300-$400 for used shafts, not even 3-p....nippon makes really good steel for a lot less. And anyone buying new graphite shafts is over $700. There is lots of cheap graphite, but good iron graphite is not cheap, and hard to justify against good steel.

> @jsmil4901 said:

> Anybody out there playing blades with graphite shafts? I really like the looks of blades, and I currently play recoil graphite shafts in my irons and they perform well for me. Currently playing CF16. My handicap is 9. I love the look of the new Callaway blade and I'm wondering how they may perform with graphite. I have not seen many people who play graphite shafts and blades, so is there a reason for this? Are blades deigned to play with heavier steel shafts and would graphite cause swing weight problems? Thanks in advance.

There are heavier graphite options out there, you get get the steelfiber in 125g. Graphite is going to be the future of iron shafts... eventually. Its going to take some time, but you can do so much more with graphite, dial in each individual flight characteristic and spins without changing feel or weight. Its old school and easier to make adjustments with the steel in irons. If youre spending the cash on a new set of blade with aftermarket graphite iron shafts you need to get fit.

A friend of mine put a graphite in a set of Cleveland blades when I was in high school. They were sooo fun to play with.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I use graphite in blades, but it does take a little of the "thrill of the blade" away. The graphite mutes the feel of every shot, so that pure blade-feel of a dead solid perfect strike feels almost the same as missing the sweet spot by half an inch. EVERY shot feels like a pured blade, instead of just the pured ones. I love the feel, but it's like winning the lottery every day as opposed to one a lifetime. Since a cast cavity back feels great with a graphite shaft, the thrill of the pure-blade-strike isn't as unique as when you play a harsh steel shaft. Some folks might forego the miniscule difference in feel between blade and cavity-back (both with graphite shafts) to get the extra forgiveness of the GI club. In short, there just isn't as big a difference in feel between cast/forged or blade/cb when they all have graphite shafts.

Since I started playing Recoil's a few years back steel shafts feel harsh to me. I keep trying to use steel but always come running back to the graphites.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I built up 2 sets of irons this year, one of which was a set of used Scott SG-03 heads that I fitted with Recoil Proto 110's. I love the feel of graphite in blades. I can feel every missed shot the same as I could with steel. However, I think they are more forgiving to my joints/body on mis hits. I have spent the entire winter on a net/mat set up and have had 0 pain in any of my joints. I went through 8 sets of irons last year, I haven't even looked at other options since I started hitting these (well besides NCW, I can still dream).

I will say though that if it weren't for the weight of these new graphite shafts that I don't think this would be an option for me. I tried a set of cobra forged tec last year that had recoil 760's in them and I lost all sense of where my club head was. The Scotts i'm playing now have a SW range from a D8-PW to a D3.5-4i.

Everyone has their own views/feelings on things. If I were you I would buy a used head/iron off ebay, shaft it with a recoil and give it a test, you'll know in your first few swings if it's for your or not.

As a Christmas gift, I received the Ben Hogan Ft Worth Black irons and Equalizer wedges, both with Recoil graphite shafts. It's my first time using graphite and courses have been closed for much of the time since then, but my early results are promising. I have a rather damaged right arm after surgeries that ended my baseball days, and the graphite seems like just the ticket to get rid of some of the jarring impact.

I built MP-5's with old Grafalloy Pro Logics last year. I have J40s with Steelfibers at my shore house. I dig graphite.

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

Lots of recoil proto love here. I wonder if I am overthinking another kind for my project set.....

I am worried about muted feel ruining the blade fun but at same time the forged cbs I have with recoil, while way deader, you can tell where you miss and they are a lot more feedback than like the Calloway cast I tried at store with steelfiber. I think as long as feedback is discerninable, that is most important.

So are recoils like the “it” graphite? I thought it was steelfiber, but I find the recoils better and sorta stunned at the overwhelming choice of them on this thread...

I built a set of Golden Ram TW276 with Aldila NV105 shafts. Used them for a few months during 2017. Only switched away from them because I got the idea I should give steel a try again, and only because of the weight; I've long been a heavy shaft guy. I had some adjustments dropping to 105g from 130g. LOL

The shafts perform great. I didn't have any spin issues, wind play improved compared to the Precision shafts that were previously in that set. I felt like I gained a bit of distance with the NV's, and 2018's steel shafted play showed me the graphites were great at eliminating the little aches one gets from playing golf in your mid 50s; those aches showed up again last year, while being absent at the end of 2017.

I have RIP Tour 115s that I may use in another set of Rams, or maybe Mizunos. If I can stop the paralysis by analysis fueled indecision, and just pick one of the sets, that is.

There's nothing particular about blades that makes them any different in the question of graphite shafts vs steel shafts. Verplank played Golfsmith blades with UST Tour Weight shafts for years.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I just built a combo set of Callaway TA blade PW-7i and 07 X Forged 6i-4i with Recoil 100 (non Proto). I don’t really have the game for the blades anymore, but love the feel and ballflight. Best part is that before I built them, by the time I finished my warmup with my i20 PX combo, my elbow would be killing me. I played 3 days in a row with the new set and have minimal pain. I’m thinking about pulling the blades and finishing the set of 07 XForged instead.

I currently game Mizuno MP 29’s with Matrix Program 130’s. They are a fantastic shaft and I love the combo. Built these myself as I do all the clubs in my bag. They are getting harder to find though. No longer in production. They were a true attempt at high launch heavy is graphite. I believe the uncut weight is 115 grams. They are heavily counterbalance though and swingweighting is a pain. I just used lead tape. I get a nice hugh launch. No balooning. It is a very low torque shaft and extremely stable. Very easy to knock down a ball. I like the white color too. I can honestly say I didn’t have much issue making the switch from steel ( KBS tours). Elbows just couldnt hang anymore cause I tried Project X and while I lived the ballflight the PX were not kind to my jounts even with dampening.

Give the blade/ graphites a try. We need more OEMs to introduce heavier shafts IMO.

> @NRJyzr said:

> There's nothing particular about blades that makes them any different in the question of graphite shafts vs steel shafts.

>

Agree. For some reason a lot of people think that certain heads are best mated with some particular shaft but thats a fallacy for the most part.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @Nessism said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > There's nothing particular about blades that makes them any different in the question of graphite shafts vs steel shafts.

> >

>

> Agree. For some reason a lot of people think that certain heads are best mated with some particular shaft but thats a fallacy for the most part.

Maybe outdated thinking is a more apt descriptor? Blades are smaller heads. If mishit they will create more twist/torque on the shaft. Old graphite iron shafts were not as strong, ie old ones had higher torque, than today's do.

But I have seen many times over the years when a certain "combo" is touted highly. It's usually for 1 of 2 reasons. 1st, someone wants to sell product so they promote the "end all be all longest driver combo ever" kind of thing (Think Cobra L4V or 282 Superquad, etc.) Or 2nd, its just a decent club with a suits-the-masses middle ground shaft. Like a mid kick, mid spin shaft in a moderately forgiving head. Think of the R7 TP Quad / Speeder 757, or the Titleist w/ Diamana Blueboard, or the Callaway w/ Rogue. All just forgiving (for the time) heads with a user friendly shaft that is not on any extreme end of a spectrum for weight, flex, kickpoint, torque, tip stiffness, counter balance, etc..

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

My gorgeous Mizuno MP-32s were even nicer thru the ball and turf in graphite vs. steel! I changed out their stock TT DG R300 shafts after massive lead elbow issues. Graphite is **one** of the saviors to elbow issues happening from overuse via golf swings/divots.

Recoils 125 F4 were in them the past 3 seasons and they seemed the same for my game compared to the steel they replaced despite a drop of 5G/shaft. Reminds me,.....they've been over at a local Golf Consignment Store the past month and could be gone with my store credit awaiting me ;) .

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

I've enjoyed playing Blades for many years. I still have and play my custom MacGregor 1025 butter knives. Even had a short stint where I played tour weighted graphite shafts but never thought of putting the two together. Graphite shaft tips tend not to be low torque or stiff enough, like steel, plus back then it was near impossible to get quality heavy graphite shafts without spending a Kings Ransom. Additionally, blades rely upon the tip of the shaft to work the ball which is a core reason for choosing Blades. Graphite can cause SW issues and today many iron heads are light. B)

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I'm currently trying Recoil 110's w/Cobra Fly-Z Plus. I also own a set of Fly-Z Plus w/KBS Tour 120's. So far, I really like the Recoils. I've had no issue flighting the ball and can tell where impact is on the club face. I did need to add a little bit of lead tape to the cavities to get the swing weight where it is is with the steel shafts.

If I decide to stay with Recoils, I'll probably reshaft my other set and and have them blueprinted properly.

Titleist TSi2 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Titleist TS3 Graphite Design Tour AD DI
Yonex ezone CB 501 MCC MMT 105S
54* Cobra Snakebite MCC MMT 105S
58* Cobra Snakebite MCC MMT 105S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Blades with graphite = awesome. My s55 with Fuji MCI 100's are amazing

Lots of graphite offerings past 100g nowadays to suit faster swingers and minimize wear on hands and elbows

Currently playing Aldila Pro 105x in some Raptures - it is literally cheating. Don't tell other golfers please

I also have a set of Fuji MCI 120x shafts to put in another set of blades as well

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Anyone ever hit GD ad iron shafts?

I am so tore up on this project set, I wonder if 95 is too light but I want this to be a fun non gamer set. Literally everything from GD I have hit has been good. Have a Di in my hybrid and MT in 3 wood and have had success in past with them in drivers. BUT never hear anything on their iron shafts? Anyone?

Also looking at MCI and roddio. I am really pleased with th recoil 110 protos but I need different for different sake for this novelty

Set. I may also reshaft my mp14s if I can find a good enough deal on something....going ALL graphite but the gamers for now, but if the experiments work, I am going to do it.

> @Bigmean said:

> Anyone ever hit GD ad iron shafts?

>

> I am so tore up on this project set, I wonder if 95 is too light but I want this to be a fun non gamer set. Literally everything from GD I have hit has been good. Have a Di in my hybrid and MT in 3 wood and have had success in past with them in drivers. BUT never hear anything on their iron shafts? Anyone?

>

> Also looking at MCI and roddio. I am really pleased with th recoil 110 protos but I need different for different sake for this novelty

> Set. I may also reshaft my mp14s if I can find a good enough deal on something....going ALL graphite but the gamers for now, but if the experiments work, I am going to do it.

>

>

NV105, perhaps? :)

Unless you don't like DG. They're kind of "DG-like"

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have MP4s with Program 130s, MP5s with RIP Tour 115s and MP69s With RIP Tour 115s and am about to shaft up my MP14s with Fujis. Love all of them and they look & play great. The shafts have to match you, not the clubhead. Not to mention that it takes care of all the pain I used to deal with. I've played SF, Recoil Protos, RIPs, Programs and as long as you get the weight that suits your swing, your good to go.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize