Mizuno MP-67

These are the best clubs I've ever played! Switching back from a couple of years with cavities, I feel I need no more forgiveness than the MP-67 give me, probably because of the outstanding sole grind. They just keep delivering powerful, accurate and efficient shots for me. Played blades most of my life, mostly Mizuno, so I really feel at home, but these are better than anything I've played before. Soft but tough, if you know what I mean. Looks great, of course, but performance is key, and these clubs have it all. The only downside is that I now really feel the bag is set, and I don't know what else I need to look for. Guess I can always add new putters... :man_in_love:

/Toby

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have gamed these irons for 2 years now, and I plan on gaming them until their grooves wear out. In that time my index has gone from a 17 down to an 11 and it is still dropping. At first these irons were so tough and I could not hit the 3i and 4i, but I stuck with them because there was no better feeling when I did hit them pure. As my ballstriking improved from sheer practice and playing (no lessons), my love and appreciation for them grew. Their feedback has taught me how to work the ball and what it means to have a consistent swing. I am addicted now to their feel and look forward to the next chance I can hit one, from a fairway approach in particular.

I also have a backup set of MP-60s. I play both the same and prefer the 67s. Their workability and control outweighs any loss of forgiveness.

For those that have issue with their distance, just get their lofts adjusted. They are half a club short because they have traditional lofts. Mine match my MP-60s and now all distances are equal club for club.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

My Mizuno rep said to expect something this fall.

Looking at the pics of the proto heads, it looks like we may be getting a very nice muscleback head this fall.

I absolutely love my 67's. I got them for the lower traj and reduced spin, especially in the lofted irons. It's

been two years now with these heads and could see myself playing them for another two years, but, I like

keeping an eye on the new stuff. I would think we should be hearing a lot more on these protos very soon.

As the MP37s are getting tired a new set of irons has to be found.

I found a demo 67 6 iron with the identical shaft to my 37s and hit them side by side. No question about it, the 37 is more solid; a thick meaty smack rather than the subdued thump of the 67.

Are there any MP37 guys out there who found a suitable replacement that is just as solid?

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried these out side by side with MP62's with a view to upgrading my worn MP32's and am still shocked at the results.

The MP-67's are as easy to hit as the 62's, but feel softer with unbelievable distance control. They are a club shorter though. I personally thought the top line of the 62's was a little thick. Anyone else think this or am I just being stupid and picky??

I tried both with DG and PX shafts.

I always disliked the PX and always potrayed them as just "trendy", but the 6.5 really worked for me in the 67's.

Just ordered a set of 67's with PX 6.5 and can't wait for them to come

Milo,

when you get your hands on the new 68's, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

They're being assembled a few miles from where I sit and I can't get my hands on them yet. I'm hoping they are finally a head that goes back to the 37/33 quality because the ones since then have lacked a certain something.

Once they are issued to the Omega Tour guys I will be able to put a set in the bag and report back to WRX members.

• 2 weeks later...
Milo,

when you get your hands on the new 68's, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

They're being assembled a few miles from where I sit and I can't get my hands on them yet. I'm hoping they are finally a head that goes back to the 37/33 quality because the ones since then have lacked a certain something.

Once they are issued to the Omega Tour guys I will be able to put a set in the bag and report back to WRX members.

Great...I look forward to reading your thoughts.

I've been in the 67's since they came out. I've tried several different sets (62's, Cally XForged, etc.), but I keep coming back to my 67's and swear I hit them better. Great looking and feeling iron.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got the last set Edwin Watts had on Sunday nite of the Masters. Waited three weeks for them to get here to England...and wow what a set of irons. I have a set of MP57s back in the states, but I didn't think I could get them here in one piece. So I brought my backup set and that was an error in judgement. I hadn't played them in about 18 months, so it was a very frustrating experience. Sold them to a co-worker and got the 67s. First thing i did was install sensicore inserts and regrip with golf pride new decade blue/black midsize grips. The irons are std lenght/lie/loft which fit perfectly. Mizunos tend to lie a degree flatter than everybody else, so that was and added bonus that I didn't have to bend them. Shaved 5 strokes of my score the first two rounds I played, immediately hitting more greens in regulation. Within 10 days I broke 80 for the first time here in England, having been stuck in the mid to low 80s since i got here. The feel is superb, and all you have to do is just think about what shot you want to hit, and it happens. Hitting a Nicklaus type high fade is a piece of cake, so is a grip it and rip it baby draw. To tell the truth I'm not sure I don't like these better than the 57s, which have the exact same set up as far as shaft/grip/loft/lie. Like a few other members on here I wasn't impressed with the 68s or the 62/63s. These i really like, and within a month or so I'll be ready for a rematch with The Grove in Hertfordhshire.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a day of testing here are my first impressions:

Initially moving from my old GI irons to the 67's I noticed several things right away.

1: What you put in you get out with these clubs.

2. Mishitting shots is VERY clear and hitting a ball off the toe is almost as bad as topping/shanking a shot. Mis-hits lose distance dramatically, even hitting a shot thin loses about a club of distance.

3. The sole grind on the clubs are really not designed for diggers.

Look: As expected the look of these irons is second to none. At address you have a very thin top-line, small head and very little offset.
Most notable striking for me is the chrome finish on these which is absolutely beautiful.

Feel: The first swing I had with these clubs I hit one pure in the center of the club-face and I almost felt as if I hadn't even hit a ball.
When you hit the very small sweet-spot, you are rewarded with a great feeling.

Forgiveness: This is probably the least forgiving of blades I've ever hit in the last 5-10 years. As noted above, slight mis-hits are severely punished.

Workability: After trying to work shots with my old GI Irons and really struggling, working shots with these is great and the ability to control trajectory is almost un-rivaled among other blade manufacturers.

Final Thoughts:

I'm glad I made the jump to these, even if I probably am not the best candidate to use these clubs. I would say if you are interested in making the plunge to blades the most noticeable difference is that whatever energy, and what kind of swing you put on the ball always yields what kind of results you are going to get. No hiding!

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I bought a set of used MP-67s today, 3-P with S300s, standard length and lie. They were only 100 Euros (126 USD) os I had to take them as they were in a good shape.

Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow and I can take them out for a walk. :)

I've previously owned a set of Titleist MB 710s and MP-62s, so it will be interesting to see how these compare to them. Currently I'm playing with Srixon I-506.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

It did rain today but that didn't stop us from playing 14 holes today. And man are these clubs good? We didn't even go to the range before the round as it was raining but it wasn't a problem, even though I expected it to be.

Oh, that feeling when you get it just right. Also they have a great feeling in chipping, I chipped one in already and got a couple of others with the exact distance.

I did blade one shot quite badly and my ring finger went numb for quite a while (it was +7 celsius, windy and raining). Bad shots really do hurt, at least in cold conditions :D But still, I think I'm falling in love.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

• 9 months later...

[quote name='Milo' timestamp='1244720115' post='1748916']
As the MP37s are getting tired a new set of irons has to be found.

I found a demo 67 6 iron with the identical shaft to my 37s and hit them side by side. No question about it, the 37 is more solid; a thick meaty smack rather than the subdued thump of the 67.

Are there any MP37 guys out there who found a suitable replacement that is just as solid?
[/quote]

I agree 100%. First thing I noticed was that the 37 felt more solid and smoother. It really isn't even close either. 67 feels ok, just not as good as the 37. Same shafts. I just assume the carbon steel is different.

Bridgestone J33R 10.5 Pro Force V2
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3wd 15* stock shaft
Ping i20 Hybrid 20* stock TFC
Mizuno MP 67 4-PW DG S300
Mizuno MP T11 50,56, 60 wedges
Original Rossa Spider

• 4 months later...

These sticks look like the mp 32 from the top while the sweet spot is closer to the hosel. The mp67 promotes a high ball flight but are extremely accurate.

R15 tp fubuki 63x x shaft
Titleist 910fd proforce V2 66 gram x
Ping I25 hybrid 22
Titleist Ap2 pX 6.5 5-pw
Titleist sm4 54 58 kbs hi rev
Nike method core 12 w

• 7 months later...

pwmartin it is good to keep the love alive for MP-67s. You brought me back down memory lane with this post, so thank you. Mine are still in my bag and still my gamers after 7 years. I just read my post from 5 years ago and I feel the exact same way now as I did then.

Recently I have hit them side by side with some MP-4s at a demo range and although the MP-4s were a continuation of that same sweet buttery Mizzy feel, they didn't feel any better than the 67s. They were longer by about 5 yards but that was due to 1 degree stronger loft.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

• 6 months later...

I'm a high handicapper and shot the lowest round of my life with MP 67s in the bag. I also shot several of the worst rounds of my life with MP 67s in the bag. Probably one of the most underrated Mizuno irons.

PXG 0811X gen1 driver 10.5* Veylix Rome 688 stiff

PXG 0341 gen1 3 wood 15* Veylix Rome 888 stiff

PXG 0317 gen1 3 hybrid 19* Veylix Rome 988 stiff

PXG 0317 gen1 5 hybrid 25* Veylix Rome 988 stiff

Edel Variable Length irons 27*, 34* & 41* Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Edel Signature wedges 49* & 57* Nippon Modus3 115 wedge

Edel EAS 2.0 putter

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life,

Just wanted to share my experience (have been around a 2 hcp for 10 or so years):

I bought the MP67's with ProjectX 6.0's back in 2007. I played them up until 2015 and switched to 714 AP2's with DG X100's. Feel wise there were big differences. At the time I was into the trend of get the AP2's! Everyone else plays them! Sure they fly far. But they also fly HIGH even with DG x100 shafts. Late last season I had the urge to get back into blades for whatever reason. Something in me just wanted to go back and hit my mizunos. So I dug them out of my closet (almost pulled my 905R back out with them) and switched them with my AP2's. I am back in love with hitting blades. I have regained the work ability and trajectory control. It's like golf christmas for me again. My scores have improved slightly on average since switching back to my old mp67's due to the uncanny ability to control distance with ultra precision with the blades.

Now back to present day:

I have been testing with Callaway Apex MB '18's and Titleist MB 718's but have not had a chance to hit Mizuno MP-18 yet. I am looking to get into 1 of the 3 this season. The MP-67's served me well but it is time for something new.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5*, Diamana D+ 72 X-FLex Titleist 915 FD 15* 3 Wood, Diamana D+ 80 X-Flex Titleist 712U 3 iron, X100 Mizuno MP-67 4-PW, Project X 6.0 Vokey SM6, S400, 50F, 54S, 58K Scotty Cameron TEI3 Newport 2 Longneck