2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

A Second Bandon Trip Report from March 13-17

155 Funson

I didn’t want to hijack Stevo85’s Bandon Trip Report thread from the same exact dates and I apologize if this is repetitive, but I had to get my thoughts on my first ever Bandon Dunes trip out.

Let me start by saying that I came into this fully expecting a trip to Bandon to be once in a lifetime given it’s not easy or cheap to get there from Michigan. I left the trip knowing that I will absolutely come back one day, Bandon really is that good. I had what I thought was unreasonably high expectations of what to expect and yet I walked away completely blown away beyond my wildest imaginations. Pictures, yardage books, and dreams don’t do this place justice.

There were 8 of us, all first timers, coming in from Michigan at various times. 4 arrived last Tuesday and hung out in Eugene for the night before making the drive Wednesday. The remaining 4 of us including myself arrived midday Wednesday in Eugene and got a rental for the drive to the resort. Our itinerary consisted of the following:

Wednesday: Fly into Eugene, drive to resort, range/Shorty’s/Punchbowl

Thursday: Pac AM, Trails PM

Friday: Old Mac AM, Bandon PM

Saturday: Pac mid AM, Bandon front 9 PM (was supposed to be Preserve)

We decided to book two group caddies for our first four rounds to assist with suggested lines off the tee, course strategy, and green reading. At a cost of $40 per man per round, I would say for your first time through a course this was more than worth it. We had one excellent caddie named Robin who I would highly recommend if anyone is looking to request a specific caddie. He was a good player himself (sub 3 handicap) and nailed 99% of the green reads. He had some entertaining stories but knew when it wasn’t the time to jump into the conversation, and had no problem being blunt with the situations we had at hand. Our other caddie was just OK, so I will leave him unnamed. We also each rented a rikshaw as opposed to carrying, and I never thought this was a burden even with some steep climbs or narrow trails. They are $5 per day as once you pay once it is good for the rest of the rounds that day. This I was unaware of until our first round. We played from the green tees every round based on the recommendations on here and that was the right play, we never felt that it was too short or that we weren’t being challenged.

**Wednesday:** I’ve never personally been to Oregon or the pacific northwest before this trip and I have to say, what a beautiful state Oregon is at least from the parts we saw. The two-lane highway through the evergreen trees, rivers, and state park definitely made the two-and-a-half-hour drive fly by and helped build the excitement for our arrival. We landed around 1:00 PM in Eugene, and with construction and one quick pit stop for food, arrived at Bandon around 4:00. We quickly checked in at the main lodge where our rooms were also located, and I grabbed my sticks from guest services as I used ship sticks. I haven’t ever flown with my clubs and did not have a travel bag and fortunately had no issues using ship sticks for the first time. As Stevo85 mentioned on his first day, one of the guys in my group also bumped into DMK and had a short chat with him on the changes happening at Bandon. That was a cool and unexpected moment. Once we got settled, we grabbed our clubs and headed to the range to get a few swings in and get a feel for the tight lies that I had kept reading about. Temps were low 50s with sunshine, coming from Michigan this was summer weather! After we were all loose and comfortable, we headed to get a round in at Shorty’s. Due to the closure of the Preserve, Shorty’s was open the entire week (normally closed Wednesday’s when we were there). What a great way to start the trip, there’s some fun shots out there and it’s that much more enjoyable being able to play with a large group. I quickly learned to put the wedges away and start hitting some knock down shots into the greens. Once we wrapped that up, we had a little bit of daylight left so we decided to go putt a few holes at the Punchbowl. What an adventure that is. A definite must for large groups. Once the sun went down and we could no longer see our putts, we headed to McKee’s to make our dinner reservation. Based on all of the WRX information I consumed, I decided to book reservations at McKee’s every night as our group was trying to be budget conscious and isn’t exactly looking for the fine dining options at other places. I got the meatloaf even with some of the recent negative reviews, and it was pretty good but for me it is still just meat loaf. Couple pints of Guinness and I was more than ready to call it a night.

**Thursday:** We started with breakfast burritos at Pac Grill, perfect amount to get some food in the system. We were scheduled to be the first two foursomes off at Pac Dunes as the sun was rising, however as my buddy was warming up on the putting green before the rest of the group arrived, he was approached by a man who asked if he minded if he and his group teed off in front of us. My buddy had done about as much research as I had, and almost immediately realized that this man was Mike Keiser. Obviously, we had no issues with this. He had a fivesome with a power cart for one of the gentlemen, and once they were off, they had a steady hole plus gap on us. Definition of ready golf! It was funny to hear the starter and one of our caddies try to be nonchalant about who was playing in front of us as if we were not aware that the owner and visionary of Bandon Dunes had just asked for permission to play ahead of us. With a flip of the tee, I was chosen to lead the group off the first tee. I felt that hole 1 is a layup shot, but there was no way I was pulling a 5 iron that early in the morning with the nerves/excitement flowing through my body, so I pulled out my hybrid. We all had family and friends watching us from the course cameras, so I had to try and put on a good show. My hands and arms were shaking, I couldn’t believe I was that nervous! Fortunately for me I found the center of the clubhead and put a little low draw hybrid in the fairway. Even better for my second shot I had give or take 55 yards to the pin, little pitch coming from short left of the green with the pin front left so I decided to pull my 54 degree and toss it up there. I caught the shot pretty clean, it’s tracking right at the pin and bang, my ball hits the bottom of the pin and ricochets to about 15 feet just behind the pin. When I got up to the green, I saw my ball mark was two inches from the cup. That would have been one hell of a way to start off the trip! Unfortunately, I missed the birdie but had an easy tap in par, little did I know the missed putt would be foreshadowing of what was to come for the weekend. Walking up to the green on #3 and getting the first glimpse of the ocean was absolutely stunning, and really put into perspective what kind of golf experience we were about to have. Unbelievable. No need for a shot by shot write up, but I ended up playing very steady golf with minimal mistakes (regrettably pumped my tee ball on 4 into the pacific) and shot a 79 which is an awesome round for me and my 9ish handicap. I average a round in the 70s one to three times a golf season, so to do that on my very first round was an awesome feeling.

We headed over to Trails for lunch and our second round of the day. I got the brown rice bowl and it was delicious. Just enough to fuel me up for the afternoon round. By this time, the sun was out and temps had reached mid-50s. It was a sign for me to put on the shorts and take full advantage of the beautiful weather. I had another steady round highlighted by driving #8 to 20 feet but leaving the eagle attempt two feet short. Such a disgrace! I read all the controversy about hole 14, and from experience I’ll just say that being short and right of that green is not the spot to be. That green produced some wild shots from my group. But at the same time, I didn’t think it was unfair. Just must be in the right spots. I took a stupid and sloppy triple on 18 to shoot 81 and miss my opportunity at another round in the 70s. No complaints though. I loved Trails, a lot of the holes felt like some of the courses we have back in the northern part of Michigan but on steroids. Such a fantastic use of the land and layout. We went back to McKee’s for dinner and I got the shepherd’s pie, by far my favorite main dish that I had all trip there. Highly recommend. A bit before we finished up our meals, in walks in Patrick Mahomes. Yes, the Chiefs quarterback. He sat down for dinner with a small group. That was a surprise to see someone like him casually walk into McKee’s, did not expect that. We finished the night with a cigar and a glass of scotch at the Bunker Bar playing some cards. Such a fun spot to relax with the boys.

**Friday:** Another cool but clear morning and we got to start the day at Old Mac. Started with breakfast sandwiches at the Gallery which were very good. I had read about how different Old Mac was and had built up this mindset that it would be too quirky for me, but I was definitely wrong. This course provides so much variety, creativity, and pure fun. I’m saying this even with getting absolutely ejected on and around the greens. I never could get the right feel for the speeds of the greens but that didn’t affect my opinion of the place. This is the course that I would like a second shot at the most, to try and conquer the short game issues. I shot 86 for a little reality check, and I didn’t have any highlights that really stood out (aside from any hole that I two-putted), but I won’t ever forget the climb up to the green on hole 7. What an amazing view that appears beyond the green out to the ocean. That green also provides a good vantage point for the former Sheep Ranch, which is absolutely under full construction. They even had multiple pins out at future green sites. One of the greens will be out on the furthest peak out over the ocean, that will be a sight to see. My caddie informed me that once completed, the new course will have the most holes along the ocean of any course in the US. Not a bad addition to the Bandon portfolio. He also mentioned that there are talks of a four-story hotel to be constructed near the future clubhouse for that course. It seems like Bandon will need the additional lodging once a new course opens.

We then headed back to the main lodge and had lunch at the Tufted Puffin. I went with the rueben sandwich and it was pretty solid. Afternoon tee times at Bandon Dunes. The sun was again shining, mid 50s, and this was our first experience of the wind picking up. What is there to say about hole 4 that hasn’t been said already. We knew it was coming and yet once we turned the corner we were still blown away. 4-6 was such a fun stretch of golf. I was proud of my par on 5, that’s a tough hole with the wind blowing. Highlight of the round at Bandon for me came on Hole 13 the par 5. Downhill and downwind for us, I hit a great drive and only had 160 in to a front pin. I decided to try and give a 9 iron a little extra and ended up pull worm-burning my ball, only to see it disappear over mounds down the left side and to my amazement reappear left of the green, funnel towards the center, run just past the pin, and settle 18 feet away for an eagle attempt. Needless to say, my playing partners were none too pleased given we had a 5 round stableford match going on. Fortunately for them I missed the putt but ended with an easy birdie. Just like I drew it up! Hole 16 also lived up to the hype, minus the construction machine parked on the dune/ravine currently undergoing some renovation. I ended up shooting 85 thanks to some sloppy holes but all in all not too bad. I feel like the bunkering off the tee at Bandon really made me think through where the ideal spot for my tee ball would be. Very enjoyable round with the sun setting as we wrapped up. We had later dinner reservations this evening so we killed some time at the hot tub and having a drink at the Tufted Puffin bar. McKee’s again for dinner and this time I had Uncle Larry’s Burger, highly recommend if a burger is calling your name that evening. We again decided to hit the bunker bar, which we ended up closing down since we did not have a tee time until 11:40 the next morning.

**Saturday:** With the late AM tee time at Pac, a buddy and I decided to grab a cup of coffee and head over to walk the Preserve course which was currently closed for green renovations. I wanted to get a closer look as the views from Bandon of Preserve looked pretty special. I have to say after walking the course, I was that much more disappointed that we were unable to get a round in there as an eight some. There looks to be so much variety and creativity in shots to be played. Assuming I get back, I will be sure to get a round in there. We then headed to Pac Grill for some breakfast burritos and some punchbowl action before our tee time. The weather was already low 50s by the time we teed off with some cloudy skies and a slight breeze, another beautiful day. We didn’t take caddies for this round since it was our second time through, and we all agreed that was the right choice. It was fun seeing a course for the second time around and I felt like I had a better game plan for the round. This time around on Hole 10 we played from the lower tee after playing from the upper tee our first time through, and I much preferred the upper tee both for the views and the shot. The lower tee did create a more difficult approach which was a welcoming challenge. My main highlight was deciding to pull driver and cut the corner on 16, which I was successful with leaving myself a 25 or so foot eagle attempt. Again couldn’t convert but a fun birdie on the card. I’m not sure what it is about Pac Dunes but I had another steady round and finished with a solid 80 on the card. We finished off the afternoon with a 9 hole four-man scramble on the front 9 at Bandon, and after 5 holes with nobody behind us we joined up as an 8some to finish off the round. I loved playing holes 4-6 a second time through, what a fun grouping of holes. We shared so many stories and laughs with all of us together walking down the final fairways of our trip. We couldn’t have drawn it up any better on the 9th hole, in fact one guy commented that it felt like we were in Westworld with how perfect the scenery was. The sun was setting behind us, four deer were walking across the fairway about 150 yards in front of our tee shots, and we were the only group remaining on the course. I won’t ever forget that moment. With the golf wrapped up, we headed to McKee’s one last time. I ordered the scotch eggs as an appetizer and the fish and chips for my meal. One order of the scotch eggs was all I needed to know that I made a huge mistake not getting these every night. They were so delicious. The fish and chips were pretty good as well. After a few final pints, our group couldn’t muster the energy for the bunker bar and headed back to our rooms to pack up and get ready to leave for home the next morning.

**Sunday:** We had flights out of Eugene around 11 AM so we had just enough time to do some quick merchandise shopping in the Bandon pro shop before hitting the road. We soaked in the beautiful sights one last time on the commute back to Eugene while reminiscing on what we had just experienced at Bandon.

For me personally, I’d rank the courses the following: Bandon Trails, Bandon Dunes, Old Mac, Pac Dunes. Trails as a course layout and design was just so good and reminded me of some scenery back home and it didn’t need the ocean to be that special. Bandon had some amazing holes along the coast with views that cannot be beat, Old Mac is so different and unique, and I’d love to play it over and over, and I still loved Pac Dunes but one of the courses had to be fourth by default. I’m still working on an 18-hole composite course of all the courses combined.

As I previously mentioned, coming into this trip I thought Bandon was a once in a lifetime trip but that just cannot be the case. Talking with some of the guys on our flight back, we start discussing where the next big trip would be. Sand Valley, Streamsong, Pinehurst, etc., and each time we kept comparing those to Bandon and asking ourselves can those other places top Bandon? I’m not sure that’s the case. Sand Valley is drivable from Michigan and being a Keiser property that’s a must for me. But there’s just no way I can’t experience Bandon again. I need another crack at Old Mac, I need to see the new Sheep Ranch course, I need a big group round at Preserve, and ultimately I need to get back to Bandon. I appreciate everyone who has posted a review or a trip report previously on Bandon as there was so much helpful knowledge and insight within this forum that helped make our trip as good as it could be.

TLDR: Bandon Dunes exceeded the highest of expectations and this “once in a lifetime” trip will happen again at some point for me in the future, it’s that good!

• Like 2