Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Just got a set of Forged Tec Black One at 38 inches with stock DG AMt White Stiff. One round and not too terrible to get used to EXCEPT I am hitting line drives with the 5 and 6 and not elevating like my normal variable length irons. Is this normal?

Absolutely normal. Shorter shafts, so the loft has to be lower for the same distance.

I am not an expert in SL but I do know that the stock Sterling Irons are only 1/2 degree stronger than stock Ping G400 Irons for the 5/6.

Perhaps the OP is having some difficulty in ball position for his 5/6 iron shots which would be normal.

OK so where would I position the 4/5 to get a bit more elevation? Further up in my stance. Appreciate the input and suggestions. Thanks everyone

Without knowing all your personal swing characteristics the only suggestion I could make is put the ball in the same position that works for all your other SL irons.

My brief experience with Cobra SLI was that I achieved the best results with my 7 iron setup for the GW,7, and 5 irons with the same swing.

if I tried to significantly increase my swing speed for the 5 iron to help the distance I had horrible results.

OK so where would I position the 4/5 to get a bit more elevation? Further up in my stance. Appreciate the input and suggestions. Thanks everyone

Without knowing all your personal swing characteristics the only suggestion I could make is put the ball in the same position that works for all your other SL irons.

My brief experience with Cobra SLI was that I achieved the best results with my 7 iron setup for the GW,7, and 5 irons with the same swing.

if I tried to significantly increase my swing speed for the 5 iron to help the distance I had horrible results.

I hear you. I really went after a couple of shots with the 4 and 5 and hooked them badly

Initial test with a 9i and 5i only 20 range balls as I was short of time, no warm up and about 7*c temperature.

9i. club speed 67. ball speed 80. launch 24.7*. spin 6159. total yards 104

5i. club speed 73. ball speed 92. launch 17.6*. spin 3599. total yards 140.

not my proudest of numbers, but I really just wanted to get a feel for hitting a long short iron and a short long iron.

Numbers taken with a es14.

With more time, a warm up and more practice with the set, ill post some numbers up again...

played a couple rounds last week in mb, actually tried it with only 5 irons and may be seriously going minimalist single length, the sand wedge actually works a bit better than I expected, absolutely love it for full shots also, now if I can just find a putter I can get along with.....

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Got my first two range sessions in with my new F7 OL.  First one was off mats - 8i and GW no problem. GW was flying high as expected. 5i was much higher than expected and had some wicked fade on it. Second day the grass was open. Real happy with the turf interaction. Again, 8i and GW were easy to hit. 5i still had more fade than I like, but it was super consistent, hitting the range green 3/4 of the time.

Nothing earth shattering in the range results. 

Stopped off at a golf store on the way back to the office, and darned if there wasn't a nice used F7 OL SW in the bucket for $29.99. MINE!

36 holes planned for Monday - we'll see how they do. Will also be testing out an new F9 driver against my F8 that day.

I've been offered a great deal on a second hand set of f8 irons 5-GW with an option of the 22* hybrid as well.

My question is, is the 4 hybrid @ 22* much longer than the 5 iron @ 22.5* at the same shaft length (although 4 hybrid is graphite and iron steel)? with a 85mph driver swing speed I imagine my gapping will be an issue above the 6 iron. May be the 4 hybrid would be instead of the 5 iron for me rather than as well as... thoughts?

I wont get to demo them prior to purchase

last year was my first year playing OL, used the F7 5-GW. I added the 22 hybrid late in the year and have really only hit in in the sims. I was thinking even though the lofts were close the graphite shaft and the hybrid head might over a bigger gap. Unfortunately, while I do hit it longer, its not a whole lot longer to warrant taking up a space in the bag. I did just grab a Cobra OL Utility (adjustable loft, graphite shaft) so hoping that might be a better option for that spot since I can turn it down to 21 or so. I think with your speed you could probably ditch the 5 iron and just go hybrid, or vice versa.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

Well after a couple of months extensive work with the Edel SLS-01 irons they just didn't make the cut...

On the range and launch monitors etc... the numbers and performance was great, I just couldn't make them work in a game situation. Hitting little knock down shots, 3/4 cuts or off uneven lies just didn't perform. Really frustrating as I've been driving the ball brilliantly during this time and not being able to convert my opportunities.

Ah-well on we go. Great clubs though... :(

> @Ahotrain said:

> Just started the single length journey. 2 rounds in I'm enjoying the irons. Low ball flight with 4 and 5 as well but gw has given me the most trouble so far

Be patient. When I first got my Edel SLS01 irons...I struggled with the 5 and 6 iron and PW and GW. Once I learned to 'just swing the 7 iron'...all was right with the world.

I really wanted to SMASH the short 5 and 6 irons and tried to take something off of the PW and GW...just trust them and make a good swing, it will work.

• Like 1

these are the best words to heed 7 iron swing for everything

> @OsnolaKinnard said:

> > @Ahotrain said:

> > Just started the single length journey. 2 rounds in I'm enjoying the irons. Low ball flight with 4 and 5 as well but gw has given me the most trouble so far

>

> Be patient. When I first got my Edel SLS01 irons...I struggled with the 5 and 6 iron and PW and GW. Once I learned to 'just swing the 7 iron'...all was right with the world.

>

> I really wanted to SMASH the short 5 and 6 irons and tried to take something off of the PW and GW...just trust them and make a good swing, it will work.

>

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

I struggled almost the entire 1st year with mine. spent too much effort trying to ease the P-GW-SW

and hammering the 5I. The 2nd year,i traded with a guy for the graphite shafts and convinced myself

to do exactly as stated above and just use a 7 iron swing. They are good irons and if I change,it will still be with the One Length system. Maybe Edel,or Wishon or even new Cobras. but will still be one length for sure.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

> @Ahotrain said:

> Just started the single length journey. 2 rounds in I'm enjoying the irons. Low ball flight with 4 and 5 as well but gw has given me the most trouble so far

Me, too. I put them in my bag more than 2 years ago and the GW was the most difficult. Then I checked the specs and realized it had less bounce than my previous GW. That, in turn, reminded me to be aggressive in the swing and that cleared things up.

I also had trouble with the LW when I added it. In fact, I took it out for awhile and recently put it back in. I was shanking everything whenever I opened the face. But the problem wasn't the club; it was me. I was letting my elbow fly (on all my shots), but this club was severe enough to expose it. Fixing that not only rid me of my flop shot shanks, but cut away the over-the-top pulls I was getting from the rest of the bag.

This may not be one length exactly, but after playing OL irons for a few seasons I’ve had this idea of using something like the Wishon 775HS hybrid and building a one length set of 3h, 4h, 5h hybrids at a length of something like 39” and then playing my irons from 6-SW at 37”.

Anyone ever tried something like this in their own bag? And if so, was the gapping playable or did the hybrids seem to all go around the same distance? I guess the closest comparison would be someone playing the Cobra One Length Hybrids in 3, 4, and 5.

JKC said:

This may not be one length exactly, but after playing OL irons for a few seasons I’ve had this idea of using something like the Wishon 775HS hybrid and building a one length set of 3h, 4h, 5h hybrids at a length of something like 39” and then playing my irons from 6-SW at 37”.

Anyone ever tried something like this in their own bag? And if so, was the gapping playable or did the hybrids seem to all go around the same distance? I guess the closest comparison would be someone playing the Cobra One Length Hybrids in 3, 4, and 5.

Pretty sure I have read about people doing something similar. I know for me, I am not getting a whole lot of difference out of the top of the bag. Recently got a Cobra OL Utility and put it against the Cobra OL Hybrid (21 vs 23) and was not seeing a lot of difference yardage wise. Might just be my swing speed. But maybe the longer length just for those would help. The 37" or whatever it is seems to begin to lose gapping and yardage for me no matter the loft at the top of the bag. 39" might help.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

Numbers don't lie...unless you're a politician and need them to. Since moving to the F8 SL's 6 months ago, my index is down nearly 7 shots, GIR is up to 6.5/round, misses are much more playable and my confidence with any iron in hand is way higher. Even the guys I play with who know my swing is the anti Adam Scott have commented on the consistency. The hybrids are gone from the bag though as that's the one adjustment that hasn't worked. Big fan of the SL concept and it's going to take something really special to replace them in the bag.

• Like 1

> @"P.E." said:

> Big day tomorrow!

> Heading to GT with my new (to me) Sterling Irons to see if I can still swing a golf club.

> It is a 4-LW set and I am really interested in seeing if I can get the 4 iron to work in terms of height.

Well I walked into GT and walked out so my swing session was technically a success.

I am recovering from hip replacement surgery on both hips and this explains some things.

I have practically no weight transfer so my swing is all arm swing.

How ever I am a little baffled with some of the results.

PW - Club Head Speed 58 Azimuth -6.25 Carry 109

7I - Club Head Speed 65 Azimuth -5.23 Carry 137

4I - Club Head Speed 70 Azimuth -4.84 Carry 142

The things that really puzzle me are

1) how do clubs that are identical in weight and length have such varying Club Head Speeds with the same swing

2) why is the Azimuth a negative value (club face pointing left at impact) when it appears to me at address to be square to my target line

The Club Head Speed variance may be a reflection of me not wanting to really launch the PW in the hitting bay but why the difference between the 7I and 4I?

Carry distance between the PW and 7I seems ok but how can that be with a 7 MPH difference in Club Head Speed?

Can 4I Carry distance possibly can be explained with the relatively low Club Head Speed?

Is it possible that the negative Azimuth is a combination of playing Ping Irons for 30 years and a lack of rotation in my current swing?

Your thoughts and inputs would be greatly appreciated.

> @g-off said:

> Any of you with edels have to deal with customer service? My 6 iron is separating at the hosel and ferrule, just realized shaft has twisted in the head, anyone else have this happen?

I have had zero issues with my Irons...that being said, give them a call, I'd bet money they'll get you squared away in a hurry.

Still plugging along with my SL's. Trying out a move from CP2 Midsize grips to Jumbo's, hoping to reduce grip pressure and make my right hand more passive.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Got my first few rounds in with my SL 5-G in the cobra black with the $-tapers.

I do like a lot about them so far. I love the change back to forged clubs from playing GI for the past 4-5 years. The biggest things I’ve had issues with is the 5 and 6 irons off the fairway (great off the tees) and just the height of the shots. I’ve also struggled a little bit with the p and g wedges as it just seems like they’re not quite a perfect fit. I seem to hit them a little heel heavy and they go left. Sure some of that is just not used to them yet.

Going to get a bit more practicing in with them. But so far I really like them. I could also see myself maybe adding a little length to the long irons and taking a tiny bit away from the short irons just to make them feel a bit less awkward. I know this kinda defeats the purpose of the true SL concept. But I think that could really make these a game changer for myself.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

> @J-Tizzle said:

> Got my first few rounds in with my SL 5-G in the cobra black with the $-tapers.

>

> I do like a lot about them so far. I love the change back to forged clubs from playing GI for the past 4-5 years. The biggest things I’ve had issues with is the 5 and 6 irons off the fairway (great off the tees) and just the height of the shots. I’ve also struggled a little bit with the p and g wedges as it just seems like they’re not quite a perfect fit. I seem to hit them a little heel heavy and they go left. Sure some of that is just not used to them yet.

>

> Going to get a bit more practicing in with them. But so far I really like them. I could also see myself maybe adding a little length to the long irons and taking a tiny bit away from the short irons just to make them feel a bit less awkward. I know this kinda defeats the purpose of the true SL concept. But I think that could really make these a game changer for myself.

Went through the same challenge at the top and bottom end of the bag. Once you get use to them, which only takes a few rounds, you'll develop trust and it will no longer be something to think about.

• Like 1

I’ll give my update...

I’ve been on SL for about 15 months and consistently play between a 6. I’ve been a good ball striker for awhile and irons are a confidence builder for me - especially 7i and down. That’s what ultimately drew me to the SL concept. My SL set is 4-Gw Cobra Forged Tec Black with Recoils. Going into this I assumed my difficult transition would be the PW/GW and I would absolutely love the mid/long irons. I can comfortably say I was completely wrong - my findings were the complete opposite. The GW/PW are very easy to control the flight and pretty easy to work either way. My only gripe with them is the distance control is more difficult for me - so much for the GW that I feel like I need to add additional wedges to cover. Now for the 4/5/6 irons - I really found these easy to over-swing and ultimately tug. Now if I got in the right mind and put a legit swing on the ball the flight was true and produced a great mid launch mid spin iron.

As this season is getting going I was focusing more on tempo to avoid the over swing. While it is helping on the over-swing it has resulted my miss being a lazy flail right because I didn’t finish my swing. Now I know it’s early in the year but I did pick up a set of new Apex pros to try out. First and foremost it is the inner club ho coming out but i also wanted to put them up against my Cobras.

I will update with my findings - SL vs VL after over a years use or just look out for a add on the Classifieds with either set in the coming weeks lol!

> @mshank said:

> I’ll give my update...

>

> I’ve been on SL for about 15 months and consistently play between a 6. I’ve been a good ball striker for awhile and irons are a confidence builder for me - especially 7i and down. That’s what ultimately drew me to the SL concept. My SL set is 4-Gw Cobra Forged Tec Black with Recoils. Going into this I assumed my difficult transition would be the PW/GW and I would absolutely love the mid/long irons. I can comfortably say I was completely wrong - my findings were the complete opposite. The GW/PW are very easy to control the flight and pretty easy to work either way. My only gripe with them is the distance control is more difficult for me - so much for the GW that I feel like I need to add additional wedges to cover. Now for the 4/5/6 irons - I really found these easy to over-swing and ultimately tug. Now if I got in the right mind and put a legit swing on the ball the flight was true and produced a great mid launch mid spin iron.

>

> As this season is getting going I was focusing more on tempo to avoid the over swing. While it is helping on the over-swing it has resulted my miss being a lazy flail right because I didn’t finish my swing. Now I know it’s early in the year but I did pick up a set of new Apex pros to try out. First and foremost it is the inner club ho coming out but i also wanted to put them up against my Cobras.

>

> I will update with my findings - SL vs VL after over a years use or just look out for a add on the Classifieds with either set in the coming weeks lol!

Thanks for the reply on this! I could definitely see myself over swinging the 5/6 irons and getting very poor contact with them when trying to hit a full shot. When I'm taking extra club and punching through the wind I hit them great.

I do think I'm going to go with slightly longer wedges, but variable length ones for the sand and lob wedges. I'm pretty good around the greens usually, so I don't know if I want to totally revamp that part of my game to fit the SL wedges. Plus, I can't stand watching BAD chip, lol. His crazy stiff armed chipping/pitching just seems to take the feel out of that part of the game, and thats one thing that I actually consider a strength.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22