Colorado WRX 2019

pseudoswede

> @Dancin said:

> Just got an email from Deer Creek with a pretty amazing afternoon deal if you live near there. $300 for April thru Sept free green fees 7 days a week after 2pm and includes 1 bucket of balls a day.

> If you want to ride, $15 cart fee 2-4pm includes 1 drink (soda, gatorade, 16 oz draft beer). $10 cart fee with drink 4pm on. I would assume if you walked then $300 is all you would pay for 6 months of afternoon golf.

I think the bigger question is whether Deer Creek will survive these next six months.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Lol... I literally e-mailed them an hour before they sent that e-mail asking if they were going to do a spring tournament.

I'm seeing if I can apply my foursome from the cancelled scramble to this tournament. Stay tuned. I think that would save us something like $20/person.

> @pseudoswede said:

> Lol... I literally e-mailed them an hour before they sent that e-mail asking if they were going to do a spring tournament.

> I'm seeing if I can apply my foursome from the cancelled scramble to this tournament. Stay tuned. I think that would save us something like $20/person.

Bummer. Won’t be able to join you for this. Have league that day and it’s a Ryder Cup qualifyer

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Just throwing this out there as an idea if anyone might be interested. My wife is going to be out of town 4/20-21 on a girls trip. So I’m planning on playing a bunch of golf, weather permitting.

My first thought was to drive out to NE and play Wildhorse. But the website looks like they’re scheduling aeration around that time.

So I’m somewhat thinking of either driving down South to check out 4 Mile Ranch (anyone know if that is walkable for 36 in a day?) or driving North to try Highland Meadows and maybe some other course up that way.

Im hoping to play 3 or 4 rounds over the two days. Probably drive somewhere Saturday and stay closer to home Sunday. I know this is Easter weekend, so it’s kind of a big deal for a lot of folks... but i thought I’d throw the idea out there for anyone else of the non-religious ilk not celebrating the holiday that might be interested in getting together to play some golf.

> @Gmcourtney said:

> So I’m somewhat thinking of either driving down South to check out 4 Mile Ranch (anyone know if that is walkable for 36 in a day?) or driving North to try Highland Meadows and maybe some other course up that way.

>

You could walk 36 at four mile ranch. It's not the easiest walk especially if playing the tips due to a few hikes up and back to tee boxes, but it's doable. If you're planning 36 two days in a row with that long drive down and back you might want to get a cart for one of the rounds or you could be pretty beat the next day. They haven't aerated yet either, so you'd probably want to check when they are planning on doing that.

I'm glad you said it was Easter weekend. Knowing me, I would have committed without talking to my wife and got in big trouble :lol:

We need to get together for a round this year. It's been a long time since we've played!

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

> @Gmcourtney said:

> Just throwing this out there as an idea if anyone might be interested. My wife is going to be out of town 4/20-21 on a girls trip. So I’m planning on playing a bunch of golf, weather permitting.

>

> My first thought was to drive out to NE and play Wildhorse. But the website looks like they’re scheduling aeration around that time.

>

> So I’m somewhat thinking of either driving down South to check out 4 Mile Ranch (anyone know if that is walkable for 36 in a day?) or driving North to try Highland Meadows and maybe some other course up that way.

>

> Im hoping to play 3 or 4 rounds over the two days. Probably drive somewhere Saturday and stay closer to home Sunday. I know this is Easter weekend, so it’s kind of a big deal for a lot of folks... but i thought I’d throw the idea out there for anyone else of the non-religious ilk not celebrating the holiday that might be interested in getting together to play some golf.

If you do head up North, let me know and I'll see if the wife will let me have the time. Would definitely be up for playing.

> @"seven dewey" said:

> My guess is that they want a season of scores posted within the club to eliminate sandbagging from new members who came in with existing handicaps. But that could be due to previous issues in the past there.

After some discussions with the Club, this appears to be the reasoning. They want to know who you are. I'm frustrated by being banned for being new. I'll have 2 tournament scores in the club this year before the Match Play sign-up deadline. They want a minimum of 3 from last year.

I wish this would have been disclosed before I joined the league. Makes me miss CommonGround more and more. I wish I had time to drive there for the league.

At least it is warm today! Playing 9 and feeling lucky!

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9* 
Callaway Epic 3W 15*
Titleist 818 H1 19* 
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-iron 2* flat KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Srixon Z785 5-P 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff 1/4inch short
50 SM7 F Grind 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
54, 58 SM7 M Grind  2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Studio Select Laguna 2 33' 2*flat

I forgot that 4/20 is over Easter weekend. Given that I'll be gone the two prior weekends, I guess my wife would want me to be more home-bound. I still haven't gotten a response from The Ridge.

Anyone have experience with the Front Range Golf Club? Or any Men's Clubs in the South Metro area?

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9* 
Callaway Epic 3W 15*
Titleist 818 H1 19* 
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-iron 2* flat KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Srixon Z785 5-P 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff 1/4inch short
50 SM7 F Grind 2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
54, 58 SM7 M Grind  2*flat KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Studio Select Laguna 2 33' 2*flat

> @jacobEDGE said:

> I have no family in Colorado, nor celebrate Easter. I could swing that, probably.

>

> Also, I booked 2 spots at the Dunes Sunday, because it wouldn't let me grab just 1 tee time. If anyone wants to go with, it's 2:11pm and only $31 to walk. Otherwise, I'll just call Saturday to cancel one of them.

Might see you there. Got a tee time at 1:32

• Like 1

> @Dancin said:

> > @Gmcourtney said:

> > So I’m somewhat thinking of either driving down South to check out 4 Mile Ranch (anyone know if that is walkable for 36 in a day?) or driving North to try Highland Meadows and maybe some other course up that way.

> >

> You could walk 36 at four mile ranch. It's not the easiest walk especially if playing the tips due to a few hikes up and back to tee boxes, but it's doable. If you're planning 36 two days in a row with that long drive down and back you might want to get a cart for one of the rounds or you could be pretty beat the next day. They haven't aerated yet either, so you'd probably want to check when they are planning on doing that.

>

>

You could also play Sumo Golf club with 4 Mile Ranch. I've never played a Gary Player course, so if you do please report back.

> @ajsmith227 said:

> Anyone have experience with the Front Range Golf Club? Or any Men's Clubs in the South Metro area?

I'm a member of FRGC. PM me with any questions.

> @"Golfing Boiler" said:

> > @Gmcourtney said:

> > Just throwing this out there as an idea if anyone might be interested. My wife is going to be out of town 4/20-21 on a girls trip. So I’m planning on playing a bunch of golf, weather permitting.

> >

> > My first thought was to drive out to NE and play Wildhorse. But the website looks like they’re scheduling aeration around that time.

> >

> > So I’m somewhat thinking of either driving down South to check out 4 Mile Ranch (anyone know if that is walkable for 36 in a day?) or driving North to try Highland Meadows and maybe some other course up that way.

> >

> > Im hoping to play 3 or 4 rounds over the two days. Probably drive somewhere Saturday and stay closer to home Sunday. I know this is Easter weekend, so it’s kind of a big deal for a lot of folks... but i thought I’d throw the idea out there for anyone else of the non-religious ilk not celebrating the holiday that might be interested in getting together to play some golf.

>

> If you do head up North, let me know and I'll see if the wife will let me have the time. Would definitely be up for playing.

Likewise for me, if you’re north a day I might be able to get away.

I > @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > @pseudoswede said:

> > I was going to say 6:30pm is a bit ambitious to make it to an Avs game from HR, then I just saw that puck drop is at 8pm.

>

> Yep. I may head down a little earlier and just see if they have an opening for a single. If they don’t I’ll just go practice somewhere.

>

I ended up just playing in Greeley this morning. Then stopped at South Suburban to see if maybe i could sneak nine in. That place was a zoo. It must be spring break because there were kids all over the place (adults too). I didn’t even ask. I did hit a few putts on the practice green. If that’s what the course’s greens are like I get what everyone talks about. The first putt I hit was about 15’. I thought it was uphill just a touch.....it stopped about a foot short of the hole and rolled almost all the way back to me. I might have 45 putts a round out there.

I am about to pull the trigger on the Green Valley Ranch weekday membership. I've been looking for some where I can play pretty much every off day that I can (some months I could get over 10 rounds in). Unless I am missing something it seems to be the best deal in the Denver area where I can practice and play unlimited amount of times Monday-Thursday. I am not a South Suburban District resident so I do not qualify for their membership. Does anyone know of any other annual pass programs?

> @Skylines1414 said:

> I am about to pull the trigger on the Green Valley Ranch weekday membership. I've been looking for some where I can play pretty much every off day that I can (some months I could get over 10 rounds in). Unless I am missing something it seems to be the best deal in the Denver area where I can practice and play unlimited amount of times Monday-Thursday. I am not a South Suburban District resident so I do not qualify for their membership. Does anyone know of any other annual pass programs?

Where do you live? If you got the cash, you could also do The Ridge. They offer a M-Th pass.

> @pseudoswede said:

> > @Skylines1414 said:

> > I am about to pull the trigger on the Green Valley Ranch weekday membership. I've been looking for some where I can play pretty much every off day that I can (some months I could get over 10 rounds in). Unless I am missing something it seems to be the best deal in the Denver area where I can practice and play unlimited amount of times Monday-Thursday. I am not a South Suburban District resident so I do not qualify for their membership. Does anyone know of any other annual pass programs?

>

> Where do you live? If you got the cash, you could also do The Ridge. They offer a M-Th pass.

I live 20-30 minutes from GVR depending on traffic. I’d be the same distance to the ridge. I also work out of the airport so that makes GVR easier to get to after work.

• Like 1

If you work out by the airport (and have no after work family commitments), then I think GVR is a no-brainer.

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> I > @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > > @pseudoswede said:

> > > I was going to say 6:30pm is a bit ambitious to make it to an Avs game from HR, then I just saw that puck drop is at 8pm.

> >

> > Yep. I may head down a little earlier and just see if they have an opening for a single. If they don’t I’ll just go practice somewhere.

> >

> I ended up just playing in Greeley this morning. Then stopped at South Suburban to see if maybe i could sneak nine in. That place was a zoo. It must be spring break because there were kids all over the place (adults too). I didn’t even ask. I did hit a few putts on the practice green. If that’s what the course’s greens are like I get what everyone talks about. The first putt I hit was about 15’. I thought it was uphill just a touch.....it stopped about a foot short of the hole and rolled almost all the way back to me. I might have 45 putts a round out there.

>

South Suburban's practice green is pretty dumb, IMO. There is no need to have that many ridiculous breaks in a green. More often than not, I'd prefer to practice putts with little break so I can learn to stay on a line and get my speed dialed in. I was really disappointed when they redid the practice green last year but essentially kept it the same.

Edit: On top of that, putts on a practice green shouldn't get to the hole, then roll back to you lol

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

> @thaar said:

> > @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > I ended up just playing in Greeley this morning. Then stopped at South Suburban to see if maybe i could sneak nine in. That place was a zoo. It must be spring break because there were kids all over the place (adults too). I didn’t even ask. I did hit a few putts on the practice green. If that’s what the course’s greens are like I get what everyone talks about. The first putt I hit was about 15’. I thought it was uphill just a touch.....it stopped about a foot short of the hole and rolled almost all the way back to me. I might have 45 putts a round out there.

> >

> Edit: On top of that, putts on a practice green shouldn't get to the hole, then roll back to you lol

I dunno. I think it's just preparing him for #5 on a dry day if the ball is below the hole*--except the ball will roll past you and back into the fairway.

`*` - or if you are above the hole and miss it...or if you miss it on the low side...or if you miss it on the high side...

> So I take it #5 is the hole to be aware of.

>

> Maybe I should just skip this course, holes and greens like that have a tendency to cause my blood pressure to get a little high!

Go play it... it’s a fun course and a pretty nice walk. Also, one of the few around that every hole isn’t winding between houses on every hole.

There are just two greens that are stupid ( hopefully I get the numbers right, I still think I’d them with the 9’s flipped the old way).

5 is one of them... it’s pitched hard back-left to front-right. The problem is there’s not any flat tiers, so the pin is always on a slope. When it gets dry, there’s no way to stop if your putting down the hill. The key I think is to play to the right side of the fairway off the tee, so your approach shot is into the slope. From the tee it looks like the “shorter” way to the hole is over the center bunker and being left. The problem is your hitting then into green sloping hard from the left. If the pin is right that’s ok because the green will feed. But if the pin is left up the slope, I’ve never been able to keep the ball up there. So you’re eine putting 60+ feet up the hill or heaven forbid you miss the green left or long and then your chipping to a slope running away from you.

13? is the other dumb one. It’s a 180 yard par 3 where the green is so sloped from back to front, again there’s no flat-ish spot for a pin. Long is dead because your chipping downhill. Just carry your ball down to the front of the green and place it there, because you’re not stopping it. I’ve played that hole before here I had a 20 foot put up the hill, been 2 ft past, and then barely tapping to miss the comebacker and then having 10-15 ft back up the hill again.

All that said, you’ll probably go play on a soft day after a nice rain and you’ll think we’re all just a bunch of whiners :-)

• Like 1

> So I take it #5 is the hole to be aware of.

>

> Maybe I should just skip this course, holes and greens like that have a tendency to cause my blood pressure to get a little high!

There's also #4, #6, and #9. I also think the rest of the front nine are easy three-putts if you put it on the wrong part of the green.

As much as we moan about the greens, I think it's really a fun course (and I suck at putting). #5 is a very short par 4 with a wide landing area. Therefore, you have a short iron to the pin, and you have to put it in the right area for any chance at a two-putt. I typically hit driver then half LW. I've actually birdied it a few times because I've put my approach shot within 3 feet of the pin (I've also parred many times from that distance).

I'm playing it tonight.

I wouldn't call it a valley, but I guess it is set in one. There isn't much elevation change except for hole #7, which is a sucky uphill climb on a hot day.

> @pseudoswede said:

> I wouldn't call it a valley, but I guess it is set in one. There isn't much elevation change except for hole #7, which is a sucky uphill climb on a hot day.

I’ve only seen that western side where it looks like all the houses are up above. Thats what had me thinking that way.