May 20-23 Mountain Trip - COLORADO

gmetcalf18

I'm ready to go back to CO but this time I'm bringing someone else from MI with me and he's never been! We have our flight and our car booked, we're landing late on 5/20 and leaving at 4:50 PM on 5/23 not a ton of time but we've been known to pack some golf into short time slots.

We're planning to do 36 - 36 - 18 fly home, I've already played; Omni Interlocken in Broomfield, Arrowhead in Littleton, Fossil Trace in Golden, and Bear Dance in Larkspur during a trip I stayed in Broomfield for none of the drives were too long for me and I'd be willing to go a bit farther for the right course.

I'm looking into Airbnb's around south west Denver, Golden, Idaho Springs, and Boulder as well as Colorado Springs but golf down there seems to be lacking behind the Brooadmoor which is out of our price range and social class.

This is a bit of a long list but so far these are the courses I'm considering taking my buddy to; Raven at Three Peaks, Vail, Common Ground, Green Valley Ranch, Colorado National, Riverdale - Dunes, Plum Creek, Murphy's Creek, Fox Hollow, and Evergreen. Quite the list, I've been doing my research and I've come to a conclusion there are too many courses to actually compare them all so I'm trying to be decisive and decide on an itinerary. I know I want to play Bear Dance again, and my buddy was really impressed with the pictures I showed him of Arrowhead, I don't think Arrowhead is a must play but it seems to be the one that peaks his interest the most and I'm not going to say no to going back there, I really enjoyed it even tho the general verdict is overrated. I think going down to Bear Dance playing there first, then driving back north to Arrowhead play that in the afternoon and head back to the undecided Airbnb makes the most sense to do as a day together but that leaves a whole day open for 36, preferably at 2 different courses within a reasonable distance and then another 18 on our take off day. 

Before I get too long winded it's pretty clear I'm looking for suggestions, locals or those familiar with the areas please feel free to give your opinion I'm really looking forward to coming back for 3 more night of Colorado air! 

Callaway XR16 Pro 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 65 S
TaylorMade M1 17* Fujikura Pro 70 S
Srixon Z45h 19* Aldila Rouge Black 85S
Srixon 745 4-P Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Stinger Raw 51*-55*-59* KBS HiRev Tour
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Half Moon Raw 33.5"
Srixon Z Star

Of the list you have provided, avoid Plum Creek. Yes, it's a Pete Dye course and once a TPC facility, but it's a shell of its former self and in awful shape. Riverdale Dunes is a much better Dye course--although I think there are only railroad ties on two holes.

I'll also note that you're coming in during the week. Interstate traffic is truly awful during rush hour. It's to the point where people who live on the north side of town will start commuting to points south on I-25 starting at 5:30am. And it can be a parking lot on I-25 South through the whole Denver metro area from 6:30am-9am. The opposite is true starting around 2:30pm from C470 through downtown on I-25 North. Traffic on I-25 and I-70 around downtown is always heavy now for the majority of the day (including well past rush hour--especially when the Rockies are playing). C470 (the free part) will be under construction, so it adds to the heavy traffic during rush hours. The southwest corner (where it bends 90°) is the starting point. Eastbound and northbound in the mornings, westbound and southbound in the evenings.

On the plus side, heading up into the mountains will be a breeze. Traffic can be very heavy on the weekends.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Of the list you have provided, avoid Plum Creek. Yes, it's a Pete Dye course and once a TPC facility, but it's a shell of its former self and in awful shape. Riverdale Dunes is a much better Dye course--although I think there are only railroad ties on two holes.

I'll also note that you're coming in during the week. Interstate traffic is truly awful during rush hour. It's to the point where people who live on the north side of town will start commuting to points south on I-25 starting at 5:30am. And it can be a parking lot on I-25 South through the whole Denver metro area from 6:30am-9am. The opposite is true starting around 2:30pm from C470 through downtown on I-25 North. Traffic on I-25 and I-70 around downtown is always heavy now for the majority of the day (including well past rush hour--especially when the Rockies are playing). C470 (the free part) will be under construction, so it adds to the heavy traffic during rush hours. The southwest corner (where it bends 90°) is the starting point. Eastbound and northbound in the mornings, westbound and southbound in the evenings.

On the plus side, heading up into the mountains will be a breeze. Traffic can be very heavy on the weekends.

I appreciate the heads up! Do you have any experience with mountain courses during the last two weeks of May? I've read we might be dealing with less than ideal conditions, I'm all over the place if I want to just do 36 at one facility two days, try to drive between the two, or stay in the mountains the whole trip and hit a front range or city course on Thursday on our way out. I played the Arrowhead Bear Dance combo last time on a Wednesday, we teed off at Arrowhead at 7:30 and then played Bear Dance at 1:30 I was warned of the traffic before that trip and I must have gotten lucky because it was tolerable, it was there and present but not parking lot conditions thankfully. We have no problem getting up early and trying to beat the traffic but beating the sun to a course it typically a problem and it's a vacation so I don't want my buddy to feel like we're on a super tight schedule. How late can you typically play in late may would we still have light after 7:30?

Srixon Z Star

Believe it or not, I've lived here for over 18 years, and I've only played one mountain course (Haymaker in Steamboat Springs). I typically only go into the mountains during skiing season (because I'm either golfing in the metro area or out of town). We've had a rather epic season with snowfall, so courses may take more time than usual to dry out. I would definitely look into some backup courses just in case it doesn't pan out.

In late May, the sun sets around 8:15pm, but it's still light enough through 8:30/8:45.

• Like 1

I've only played a couple of mountain courses but they were later in the year. Like Swede mentioned, we've had a ton of snow this season so some backup courses might be a good plan.  If you're going to play Bear Dance, maybe see if someone can get you onto Perry Park since it's very close to BD and a very nice track.  Honestly, I would try to limit my travel to one side of Denver or the other as it can be a crap shooting getting across town.  

• Like 1
Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Mountain courses will be hit or miss, just depends on how warm and how much more snow they get.  Go whitewater rafting!  Should be amazing that week.  Clear Creek is right off of I-70 not far from the Front Range, but if you're willing to drive I recommend the Cache la Poudre outside Ft Collins make sure your trip runs the Upper Mish and Pineview Falls. 

• Like 1

As exciting as white water rafting looks I'm pretty sure that's off the table for both of us, not super adventurous with water activities! I do want to go zip lining again, I went at the Brooadmoor and down in Canon City last summer and it was awesome but pretty pricey. My buddy is trying to keep this trip under 1k on his side of the deal so we have to be delicate with our expenditures. We're working together on trying to pick courses, it's a lot of work deciding where to go and when but it's going to be a blast either way. Has anyone played Vail or Vail Eagle? I know it's in the mountains and could be hit or miss but if weather permits I was thinking a day in the mountains and play Raven and one of the Vail courses, day two go down to Bear Dance play 18 or 36 if we only do 18 play another 18 at Arrowhead and then on take off day play Fossil Trace, Common Ground, GVR somewhere within an hour of the airport. Nothing is finalized, going to have to take a gamble on the weather but if not there are a ton of metro courses we'd be more than happy to play and stay out of the mountains.

Srixon Z Star

Booked an AirBnB in Idaho Springs, wanted to try to stay in a different part of the state and still be able to access the city or the mountains depending on the weather. Looking at course 90 minutes or less from home base, will report back when I have an itinerary to see if anyone has any suggestions!

Srixon Z Star

If all mountain courses are unavailable due to snow, then staying in Idaho Springs will be incredibly inconvenient when trying to go to Denver metro courses. Hopefully the AirBnB in Idaho Springs has a generous cancellation policy (refund except for service fee) and you also look into one closer to town.

I recommend playing in the mountains but be open to where to go. Vail is not worth getting to. It's a flat course in the mountains. You can do a Ravens/Keystone trip. I like the Ranch course but I think most people prefer The River. Don't rule out the Winter Park area. Grand Elk is in a valley, so should be ready to go. Pole Creek would be a good one to pair with it as it has 27 holes. Headwaters would also work but I recommend Pole Creek. I think you mentioned Eagle. The only course there is Eagle Ranch and a good one. That course is in a banana belt and might even be open already. From there though, the second course will be expensive but you could play Vail but might as well keep driving to play Raven. With Bear Dance I'd pair it with The Ridge at Castle Pines or even Red Hawk Ridge. Arrowhead is fine for your buddy as it is a once in a lifetime to play in the red rocks but the golf isn't the best. You'll be fine getting to Bear Dance from Idaho Springs. Just avoid I-25 if necessary by taking C-470 to Santa Fe (hwy 85) to hwy 105. It won't pop up on GPS to take that way but traffic will be limited on 85 and non-existent on 105.

• Like 1

> @irvtrain said:

> I recommend playing in the mountains but be open to where to go. Vail is not worth getting to. It's a flat course in the mountains. You can do a Ravens/Keystone trip. I like the Ranch course but I think most people prefer The River. Don't rule out the Winter Park area. Grand Elk is in a valley, so should be ready to go. Pole Creek would be a good one to pair with it as it has 27 holes. Headwaters would also work but I recommend Pole Creek. I think you mentioned Eagle. The only course there is Eagle Ranch and a good one. That course is in a banana belt and might even be open already. From there though, the second course will be expensive but you could play Vail but might as well keep driving to play Raven. With Bear Dance I'd pair it with The Ridge at Castle Pines or even Red Hawk Ridge. Arrowhead is fine for your buddy as it is a once in a lifetime to play in the red rocks but the golf isn't the best. You'll be fine getting to Bear Dance from Idaho Springs. Just avoid I-25 if necessary by taking C-470 to Santa Fe (hwy 85) to hwy 105. It won't pop up on GPS to take that way but traffic will be limited on 85 and non-existent on 105.

Thank you!

Love some local advice, I hadn't heard of Grand Elk but Pole Creek seems to be in the front running for a day of 36 up there and then head back to Idaho Springs. I've stayed in Broomfield, Golden, and Colorado Springs in the last year so I'm excited to see the I70 track and stay in the rockies this time, being from the midwest the mountains haven't gotten old yet for us but I could certainly do without the hail!

Srixon Z Star

I've got a few possible itineraries, one in the mountains one out of the mountains one the best of both worlds, if there is anything that looks to not make sense please let me know!

NO MOUNTAINS

5/21/19 - Red Hawk Ridge in the AM, Arrowhead in the PM.

5/22/19 - Castle Pines in the AM, Bear Dance in the PM.

5/23/19 - Fossil Trace, Fox Hollow, or CommonGround

ALL MOUNTAINS

5/21/19 - Grand Elk in the AM, Pole Creek in the PM.

5/22/19 - Eagle Vail in the AM, Raven in the PM.

5/23/19 - Evergreen

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

5/21/19 - Red Hawk Ridge in the AM, Bear Dance in the PM.

5/22/19 - Keystone River or Ranch in the AM, Raven in the PM.

5/23/19 - Fossil Trace, Fox Hollow, Colorado National, GVR, etc.

Thanks for everyone's time and contribution I really appreciate all the help!

Srixon Z Star

All look like great itineraries. For the No Mountains one, I would swap courses on 5/21, but not an absolute necessity.

• Like 1

> @pseudoswede said:

> All look like great itineraries. For the No Mountains one, I would swap courses on 5/21, but not an absolute necessity.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be honest with budgeting we can get on Arrowhead after 1 PM for $75 vs the usual $140 where Red Hawk Ridge is only $78 in the morning so I was trying to save some coin by flipping the two. Seems like the more my buddy looks at other course his interest is drifting from Arrowhead so we may swap that out with a different option but it's fun going through all the possibilities.

• Like 1

Srixon Z Star

I'm a huge fan of Copper Creek and/or Keystone Ranch. Breckenridge Golf Club is awesome as well, but for whatever reason, I've found it one of the hardest courses I've ever played.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

Looks like we have finalized a schedule, these are assuming the mountain courses are open, if not we will substitute accordingly!

We're going to start with Evergreen as our warm up then head down to Bear Dance and play 36 between the two, after Bear Dance we are going to clean up and head to Black Hawk and try to loose some money before calling it a night. On the next day we're going to start out at Vail and then head to Raven for another day of 36 in the mountains, head back to Idaho Springs and kick around downtown until we're ready to call it quits our house is right on Colorado Blvd. Finally on our take off day we've booked Fossil Trace at 7:40 AM head to Denver for lunch and then get back to MI Thursday night!

Thanks to all who have spoken up and suggested courses we used your input and took some wants of our own and made what looks like to be a great golf trip in about 7 weeks.

• Like 1

Srixon Z Star

Nice, Have fun. I always love playing Evergreen because you can hit all kind of shots and all kinds of clubs off the tee. I'd check to see if someone can report on conditions at Raven and Vail about a week out though. Depending on your flight time, getting lunch at DIA is always fun since it has a ton of restaurants, breweries, bars, etc.

• Like 1

> @FlounderinDC said:

> I played the Raven last summer, early June I think it was and enjoyed it. However, they had some problems with a few of their greens, especially on the back nine. I thought I heard it was some sort of fungus or something and several of them were eaten up. I hope they got the problem fixed. Great course.

I've been reading some of the course was in rough shape, I know this is a golf site and I love golf but this trip is a vacation that we're also golfing on, my buddy has never been to the mountains so I thought fully immerse him, we're not going to complain about greens if the views and setting are what they are made out to be we will be happy either way!

> @irvtrain said:

> That time of year, I'd only expect Bear Dance to be in good condition. If fact, I can guarantee Evergreen will be in poor shape, Vail and Raven you'll be playing **** shoot. Regardless it'll be fun times.

Like you said we're planning on having fun even if we're playing mudball for the three days it'll be better than being stuck in Michigan for those 3 days! I appreciate the heads up and we will certainly take conditions into consideration if we need to substitute we'll be more metro area courses which I'd think would be better conditions be time will tell, either way we're going to be golfing in Colorado when we're both supposed to be at work, not going to be any bad days out there!

Srixon Z Star

I'm just going off the fact Evergreen is almost never in good shape. But it is one of the most entertaining courses you could ever play. For example, you can try and hit a slice with driver, wood on #4, and you'll need to hit a sweeping on 7 but even then you probably won't be in the fairway. All the holes have a ton of things going on with it and the ball almost never stops rolling in the fairway because you're on the side of a mountain. If they would actually have the scorecard say par 66, it would be the greatest par 66 in the US lol. A ton of fun. Anyway, it'll be a blast and a fun trip! Definitely hit up Tommy Knockers and Beau Jos in Idaho Springs. Two Colorado icons.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like the weather wants to be a pain and not allow us to go up too high in elevation without snow. Vail, Eagle Vail, Breckenridge, and courses in those regions all seem like they're not going to be ready for us. We're still planning on starting out easy at Evergreen on 5/21 in the morning, I have Bear Dance booked on 5/21 at 3:06. We're thinking Keystone River on 5/22 they're running a deal all you can play for $95 and have times for us, Raven isn't accepting times for that date yet but I'm thinking to be fiscally responsible playing 36+ at Keystone saves money and travel time between the course, would anyone say I'd be making a mistake by skipping Raven at Three Peaks and spending a day on Keystone River instead? Grand Elk and Pole Creek are still in the running as well at this point, we're trying to play 36 in somewhat close proximity from either course or at the same course/resort. We're booked for Fossil Trace at 7:40 AM on 5/23 then we're on our way back to Detroit at 4:50 PM from DIA. The days are finally falling off the calendar and this trip is coming up quicker than I thought I appreciate all the help on trying to decide where we should play neither one of us can wait!

Srixon Z Star

I don’t think skipping the Raven is that big of a deal. I used to love that course but their conditioning has really suffered the past few years. I like both the keystone courses. I’m not sure how great of shape they will be in this early in the year. Aerated greens, snow mold damage etc.. But it’s true mountain golf. Pack enough clothes for rain, snow, wind, sun and anything in between. Could be 75 and perfect or 42 with the wind snow flurries.

• Like 1

> @rkrech said:

> I don’t think skipping the Raven is that big of a deal. I used to love that course but their conditioning has really suffered the past few years. I like both the keystone courses. I’m not sure how great of shape they will be in this early in the year. Aerated greens, snow mold damage etc.. But it’s true mountain golf. Pack enough clothes for rain, snow, wind, sun and anything in between. Could be 75 and perfect or 42 with the wind snow flurries.

I've read some reviews suggesting exactly what you mentioned about Ravens conditions. I appreciate the heads up on the time of year and conditions we're at damn near sea level where I'm from so being 9000' up is certainly going to be different for us I'll be sure to be ready for anything! I booked the all day golf there on 5/22 we're teeing off at 9:25 we plan on playing at least 36 we'll see how it goes we're beyond pumped even if conditions aren't great we're looking to fully immerse ourselves in some mountain golf and based on the photos, videos, and discount pricing it seems to check all the boxes for us

Srixon Z Star

Mid May can be iffy deep in the mountains. It is snowing today but could be in the mid 70s (front range) and low 60s (mountains) tomorrow, figuratively. One thing to consider being a sea level golfer, the golf ball carries much farther at 5,000 elevation and even farther at 9,000. Expect about 2% distance gain for every 1,000 feet of elevation above sea level. So The Raven should play around 16%-18% additional carry due to less air resistance. The benefit/detraction will be a little less spin. Out of control side spin will be less accentuated but green stopping spin will also be reduced a little. Have a great time playing in the High Country!

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving tonight for a possibly disappointing trip, weather looks awful but my and my buddies schedule doesn't allow us to change the dates so we're going to push through and see what happens. Keystone probably won't happen on Wednesday with the snow in the forecast, it looks like we'll need to go more south west but we're probably going to get rained/snowed out tomorrow so we'll adjust courses and try to make the most of it. Cross your fingers for us!

Srixon Z Star