Why I play with vintage clubs!

Because I miss the time when we all wow at Jack NIcklaus's one iron carried 227 yards. Now some tour players could do that with a 5 iron.

I miss the days when things were a little bit simple and naive !

Yeah but more than likely that 5 iron is darn near the loft as his 1 iron. Well not quite I think a standard Macgregor 1 iron is about 19* but then some of these jacked loft CB irons the 5 iron is around 23* or so and with today's balls compared to a wound balata--- Aw heck you see my point

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

As I look through my modest stash, I'm going to downsize to a single set of modern players and a single set from the 80's era for when the mood strikes and the body co-operates.

Me too, except I'll have 2 minimalist sets of moderns / mixed vintage, one pure vintage, and one hickory. Plus, my lovely wife has noticed that I have 12 golf bags, so...... The thrift stores are going to get some loads starting next week.

I should point your post out to my wife as I currently have six bags of clubs in the closet, one of which is hers, plus a couple of shipping boxes of random clubs. Things aren't quite as bad as she thinks! ;)

You two barely even qualify to post over here with those modest stashes. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Because I miss the time when we all wow at Jack NIcklaus's one iron carried 227 yards. Now some tour players could do that with a 5 iron.

Yeah but more than likely that 5 iron is darn near the loft as his 1 iron. Well not quite I think a standard Macgregor 1 iron is about 19* but then some of these jacked loft CB irons the 5 iron is around 23* or so and with today's balls compared to a wound balata--- Aw heck you see my point

You're right on the track and I do see the point.

However, there is no denial that today's golfers are taller stronger and faster, like I pointed out that some of these golfers could have played other professional sports a decade or two ago.

• 3 months later...

Getting fitted to clubs and spending $2,500 on a full set of clubs with the latest technology will 9 times out of ten, at least, will improve your game. Any one with the scratch can do that. I like the changes and adjustments you need to make playing clubs from 1890, 1925, 1940, 1955, 1965, 1980, 2008, approx age of my play sets. All take a different approach. Matching your swing to hickory, pyratone, steel, graphit, now that's a challenge. As a 5 handicap I'm a dime a dozen,even as a scratch at times I'm my life where am I going with that. There are a million guys like that. Challenging myself with 140 year old clubs now that's fun as heck.

• Like 1

watching Fowler and boys hitting 6 irons into 225 par 3, swing easy, wtf

I don't buy some of the distances reported on TV. I've seen the club reported incorrectly too many times. And who know how deleted these guys have made their already strong sets.

Shotlink data almost always contradicts what we here on TV.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Adding something to this....

I used to chat with an old MacGregor rep at a 2nd Swing location in this area. This was in the first incarnation of 2nd Swing, when there were locations all around the Twin Cities.

He had a couple stories relating to Jack and distance. The one relevant to this thread was him at a pro am for a Tour event he (Jack) was playing in. Someone had hit a healthy iron shot from over 200 yards (I remember it being 221, but it's been quite a while), and a person in the crowd made a comment. Jack looked over at this guy, gave the "you'll like this, then" comment, and hit his 6 iron on the green.

He had it in him, just chose not to use it. IMHO, it seems silly to worry about distance from modern players when comparing it to distances of guys who intentionally left something in the tank in Ye Olde Days.

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Because I can't leave well enough alone, LOL....

In a couple lovely books about the 1977 Open Championship, Tom Watson's shot on #18 is referenced. Per one of these books, the shot is described as 178 yards to the hole. Watson hit a 7 iron, to about two feet.

Now, this is not a modern 7 iron, one that's really a 5 iron in disguise (or 4 iron if you go back farther in time), but a 1977 vintage 7 iron. It's likely to have a loft somewhere around 38*. In many modern sets, that's an 8 iron, and could be pushing 9 iron.

So.... 8 or 9 iron from 180 doesn't seem all that out of line...

Adding something to this....

I used to chat with an old MacGregor rep at a 2nd Swing location in this area. This was in the first incarnation of 2nd Swing, when there were locations all around the Twin Cities.

He had a couple stories relating to Jack and distance. The one relevant to this was him at a pro am for a Tour event he was playing in. Someone had hit a healthy iron shot from over 200 yards (I remember it being 221, but it's been quite a while), and a person in the crowd made a comment. Jack looked over at this guy, gave the "you'll like this, then" comment, and hit his 6 iron on the green.

He had it in him, just chose not to use it. IMHO, it seems silly to worry about distance from modern players when comparing it to distances of guys who intentionally left something in the tank in Ye Olde Days.

That’s good enough for me . I can always rationalize I left some in the tank!

....and, unfortunately, my "tank" is getting larger by the day....

At least you have a tank...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello , New member here. I have a set of Palmer Perless pittsburgh persimmon woods which I used in the 80's. Had moderate success with them and then had them refinished

Now at 73 , I wish to sell them to a collector. Pics on demand, Is there someone out there who collects?

Doug Linder PS---- I know I cant sell on this site being a newbie (not 75 posts yet). All I want to know is if there are any sites which sell this kind of things

• 4 weeks later...

I've been following Liam Harrison since last fall sometime. He's been known to take a shot at a lot of the modern equipment hype. Here's another example of his irreverent way of looking at these questions with regular golfers.

[youtu.be/YneKSHlr5Fc](

"youtu.be/YneKSHlr5Fc")

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 3 months later...

Please consider the following as my small contribution to this thread:

I started playing in 1964, my first set was 1, 2, 3, 4 Persimmon woods, and a beautiful set of 1957 Hogan Precisions 1-E irons (which I still have in my cupboard).

I have played a lot of various Hogan models, as well as Nicoll o'Leven, MacGregor, Lynx, and later Titleist and Taylormades, but, as I grow older (not necessarily wiser), I have reverted to my old favourites, the 1998 Apex Blades, a set of 2-E i stumbled over at a "going-out-of-business-sale" in Stockholm some 4 years ago - still in their cardboard box, and never hit. They have been reshafted, since the Apex 4 shafts are a bit too stiff for me these days, but I replaced them with KBS C-tapers R, and it was the feeling of "welcome home" from the first swing.

At an age of 68, I still can play these butter knives to a handicap of 9, and I have seriously considered purchasing a set of new Hogan Ft. Worths, only regretting there are no 2- and 3-irons available. My finance minister (the wife) also has some thoughts about why this old geezer should spend $ 1300 on a new set (including Driver and Spoon in the new GS53-series), when I am so happy with my old ones? Sadly some women do not understand such things.

• Like 3

Came home the other day, opened the garage and voila! someone (Probably Santa) had come in and changed my regular bag around, changed beyond recognition that is. In place of the dependable AdamsGolf bag was a small 4-partition MacGregor classic, containing a mix of old favorite clubs that I could actually hit with: TM R7 425 12.5 driver, Cleveland Launcher 4-wood, a Big Bertha Heaven Wood #7 for the fairway on the odd times I land on it, W/S 5 7 9 S, and hiding behind these a Ben Hogan Apex Plus 'E' P-wedge, a hard to hide odd-ball Lovett chipper - my bunker buster and lastly a W/S Harmonized 744 centre-shaft putter. Odd though they might sound, every one of these clubs works for me and I proved it last Friday, out on the course with my brother and nephew. Again oddly enough my nephew uses a TM R7 425 10.5 driver and hits them out of the park and I mean "out". My swing on the day was a cross between Moe Norman and Jerry Lewis - it wasn't a great game for me overall, but some individual holes were not far short of perfect and that's all I ask from a good round of golf. The long tall cold beer at the clubhouse afterwards was worth the walk. To whoever changed my golf bag, thanks, even if the mix lasts a week or two !

mdvdd558hgjz.jpg

• Like 1

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

> @scomac2002 said:

> I've been following Liam Harrison since last fall sometime. He's been known to take a shot at a lot of the modern equipment hype. Here's another example of his irreverent way of looking at these questions with regular golfers.

> [youtu.be/YneKSHlr5Fc](

"youtu.be/YneKSHlr5Fc")

Most of the hits with the old driver were in the meat of the fairway whereas the 450 quid driver sprayed them around a bit. I don't have any modern clubs at all, but I have had the latest TaylorMade woods which sounded as tinny as an Irish 4 pound note - I think the bigger the heads get the more tinny they sound. You can hear them at the driving range and they drive me off my concentration. My theory (and it's as valid as grasshoppers on Mars) is that if you find a club head with a sound you like, as in thwack, thunck, smack, and chunck, you will play well with that club.

• Like 1

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has really got my interest up and getting some old clubs. I see that some of you really don't like the new stuff. I'm slowly becoming one of those too but I have to appreciate where the game has gone and the fact that golf courses are more accessible because of it. I look at it in a couple of ways. First, the hickory shaft and that hand made set of irons and woods were really the early stuff. Everything else after that could be considered "game improvement" irons and woods. So what we like from the 50's, 60's and 70's are vastly different from early clubs. Like today, the irons are vastly different in forgiveness and feel, for better or worse. Yes, it's a game they (the manufactures) all play to us to buy the latest, and a lot of us choose not to, myself included. I build all of my own clubs (Wishon) and I love tinkering with them, I bought them because I felt the love Tom Wishon had for the game, and how he has resisted to go into the modern way of de-lofting irons to make you feel like you hit it "further". But I do want to the industry to thrive, let them buy clubs and let the game live on. When I first started to learn how to play, or hit the ball in the mid 70's I did not see a course until 1981. And I only played then because it was free if you were on the high school golf team, at a 'hoity toity" golf club, or so they thought. My point being, if golf wasn't thriving, we wouldn't have much to choose from as far as courses are concerned, like we do today. I do think it's getting ridiculous, the way the industry is going. It's practically ridiculous with everything else also. It's fortunate that we have the choice to choose what we want to play with! I'm old school. It's to my benefit that vintage stereo equipment is cheaper (and much better) than today's stuff. All of my hunting rifles and shotguns are from the 40's to the 80's, when quality was still in the product for a modest price. I guess it seems right that I would get into older golf gear and go back to feel like it used to. My first set of irons and woods was a "Patty Berg" ladies set. Very flexible and I think it made my slice terrible to worse but I played them. Didn't know who she was for another 30 years.

I'm really unsure of what old irons I should buy, or what ones are good. I know they made cheapies back in the day too. Any help would be great! I see old clubs everywhere, I'd love to pick up a good set and smack'em around the course.

Took some old clubs out to the course today and gave them a good hit on the practice range. The balls are floaters and the lake behind is where you hit them. To the right is an island with flags etc used mainly for iron practice. In particular the Slazenger Jack Nicklaus #4 wood performed the best of them all off a tee and off the deck and I have included this in my bag.

Note the skinny legs - I really do need to bulk up on some hamburgers. If you have a special home-made hamburger recipe, post it here. We make our own with toasted buns, beef patties, tomato, beetroot, cheese, lettuce and onion, tomato sauce or sweet Baby Ray smokey BBQ, pineapple rounds, and sometimes a fried egg cooked both sides. I have a friend up there in Weaverville CA where there is a cafe/bar with hamburgers the size of a small bus!. But I digress. Golf is good, I've got a game booked for next Tuesday.ynpbrchvedtr.jpg

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

> @Breadfan said:

> This thread has really got my interest up and getting some old clubs. I see that some of you really don't like the new stuff. I'm slowly becoming one of those too but I have to appreciate where the game has gone and the fact that golf courses are more accessible because of it. I look at it in a couple of ways. First, the hickory shaft and that hand made set of irons and woods were really the early stuff. Everything else after that could be considered "game improvement" irons and woods. So what we like from the 50's, 60's and 70's are vastly different from early clubs. Like today, the irons are vastly different in forgiveness and feel, for better or worse. Yes, it's a game they (the manufactures) all play to us to buy the latest, and a lot of us choose not to, myself included. I build all of my own clubs (Wishon) and I love tinkering with them, I bought them because I felt the love Tom Wishon had for the game, and how he has resisted to go into the modern way of de-lofting irons to make you feel like you hit it "further". But I do want to the industry to thrive, let them buy clubs and let the game live on. When I first started to learn how to play, or hit the ball in the mid 70's I did not see a course until 1981. And I only played then because it was free if you were on the high school golf team, at a 'hoity toity" golf club, or so they thought. My point being, if golf wasn't thriving, we wouldn't have much to choose from as far as courses are concerned, like we do today. I do think it's getting ridiculous, the way the industry is going. It's practically ridiculous with everything else also. It's fortunate that we have the choice to choose what we want to play with! I'm old school. It's to my benefit that vintage stereo equipment is cheaper (and much better) than today's stuff. All of my hunting rifles and shotguns are from the 40's to the 80's, when quality was still in the product for a modest price. I guess it seems right that I would get into older golf gear and go back to feel like it used to. My first set of irons and woods was a "Patty Berg" ladies set. Very flexible and I think it made my slice terrible to worse but I played them. Didn't know who she was for another 30 years.

> I'm really unsure of what old irons I should buy, or what ones are good. I know they made cheapies back in the day too. Any help would be great! I see old clubs everywhere, I'd love to pick up a good set and smack'em around the course.

A lot of us oldies do tend to drift back to some of the older clubs that we used when we were young with unlimited energy, for the same reasons people like classic cars or any other classics from yesteryear. I would be happy with just about any modern clubs except drivers which to me look and feel like a pumpkin attached to a broomstick, and sound like a rejected Jamaican steel drum (they actually originated in Trinidad-Tobago). Modern clubs are more forgiving of mishits away from the sweet spot but in the early school of hard knocks we learned to hit that sweet spot or pay the price. I wonder what clubs will look like in 50 years time.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

The> @Breadfan said:

> This thread has really got my interest up and getting some old clubs. I see that some of you really don't like the new stuff. I'm slowly becoming one of those too but I have to appreciate where the game has gone and the fact that golf courses are more accessible because of it. I look at it in a couple of ways. First, the hickory shaft and that hand made set of irons and woods were really the early stuff. Everything else after that could be considered "game improvement" irons and woods. So what we like from the 50's, 60's and 70's are vastly different from early clubs. Like today, the irons are vastly different in forgiveness and feel, for better or worse. Yes, it's a game they (the manufactures) all play to us to buy the latest, and a lot of us choose not to, myself included. I build all of my own clubs (Wishon) and I love tinkering with them, I bought them because I felt the love Tom Wishon had for the game, and how he has resisted to go into the modern way of de-lofting irons to make you feel like you hit it "further". But I do want to the industry to thrive, let them buy clubs and let the game live on. When I first started to learn how to play, or hit the ball in the mid 70's I did not see a course until 1981. And I only played then because it was free if you were on the high school golf team, at a 'hoity toity" golf club, or so they thought. My point being, if golf wasn't thriving, we wouldn't have much to choose from as far as courses are concerned, like we do today. I do think it's getting ridiculous, the way the industry is going. It's practically ridiculous with everything else also. It's fortunate that we have the choice to choose what we want to play with! I'm old school. It's to my benefit that vintage stereo equipment is cheaper (and much better) than today's stuff. All of my hunting rifles and shotguns are from the 40's to the 80's, when quality was still in the product for a modest price. I guess it seems right that I would get into older golf gear and go back to feel like it used to. My first set of irons and woods was a "Patty Berg" ladies set. Very flexible and I think it made my slice terrible to worse but I played them. Didn't know who she was for another 30 years.

> I'm really unsure of what old irons I should buy, or what ones are good. I know they made cheapies back in the day too. Any help would be great! I see old clubs everywhere, I'd love to pick up a good set and smack'em around the course.

I would suggest with you starting off do like all of us have done---- Try different clubs to see what fits your eye and style. To be honest some 50 years ago now I was a Spalding man believe it or not. Evolved into a Macgregor man sometime in the late 70s---- One thing about this end of the spectrum if you do not buy super collectable stuff it is relatively cheap to try different stuff---- You can be at a thrift and say find a partial set of Hogan Apex for a few bucks--- Buy them and try them---- I have seen guys play good with all kinds of clubs pro line and department store brand alike. For me anymore it is all about experimentation and finding different stuff. I am extremely lucky in the fact I work for a metal recycling company and find stuff from time to time. Do not be afraid to mix the bag up brand and even era wise. If you read a lot on here and even go back you will find out that we all play different stuff. Me I am a Macgregor man and somewhat Hogan man but you never know Wilson may fit your eye or perhaps Faultless Lee Trevino clubs. Before I found WRX I played older stuff and thought something was wrong with me. I have also learned a lot about clubs made and sold in the European market through our brothers on here from across the big pond. It is whatever makes you happy to play. I know one guy that lives South of me ( not a WRXer) that plays a mix of moderns, hickories and classics in one bag. He has fun. Me I really do not care about the score so to speak I just like the feel and sound of a well struck persimmon or forged blade iron. Now sometimes I will take a set straight off the pile at work and see what I can shoot with them----- The classic club hobby is what you make of it... My .02 FWIW----- BTW from your post I can see where you get the screen name Breadfan from----- Yep I am an old rock and roller myself and a classic example of "You are never too old to rock and roll" Even though the group Bread was not really rock and roll they were good

• Like 1

Actually, I do not get my name from the band named Bread. It’s the name of a song by Metallica. I figured I better clear the air quick on that one! Now my sister loved Bread and I do happen to know practically every single song they wrote from sounds coming through the wall...But I went the other way when I was young. Thanks for the comments, I’ll start looking more closely, I know of a few places that I can start. Ben Hogen always had my attention so I may start there!

• Like 1

> @Breadfan said:

> Actually, I do not get my name from the band named Bread. It’s the name of a song by Metallica. I figured I better clear the air quick on that one! Now my sister loved Bread and I do happen to know practically every single song they wrote from sounds coming through the wall...But I went the other way when I was young. Thanks for the comments, I’ll start looking more closely, I know of a few places that I can start. Ben Hogen always had my attention so I may start there!

I had forgot about the Metallica song. My music tastes vary you may catch me listening to everything between Southern Gospel to Metallica.

> @Breadfan said:

Picking up on your comment on hunting rifles, in the 60's I had 2 x BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) handmade rifles in 30.06 (Majestic) and .243 (Monarch) beautifully finished rifles made by WW2 craftsmen. BSA was sold to India. Also had a Baikal u/o 12g field model, built like a Russian brick outhouse and very reliable.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @Breadfan said:

> > Actually, I do not get my name from the band named Bread. It’s the name of a song by Metallica. I figured I better clear the air quick on that one! Now my sister loved Bread and I do happen to know practically every single song they wrote from sounds coming through the wall...But I went the other way when I was young. Thanks for the comments, I’ll start looking more closely, I know of a few places that I can start. Ben Hogen always had my attention so I may start there!

>

> I had forgot about the Metallica song. My music tastes vary you may catch me listening to everything between Southern Gospel to Metallica.

I'm right there with you. My musical horizons have gotten very wide over the last 25 years!

> @"Nomad Golfer" said:

> > @Breadfan said:

> > This thread has really got my interest up and getting some old clubs. I see that some of you really don't like the new stuff. I'm slowly becoming one of those too but I have to appreciate where the game has gone and the fact that golf courses are more accessible because of it. I look at it in a couple of ways. First, the hickory shaft and that hand made set of irons and woods were really the early stuff. Everything else after that could be considered "game improvement" irons and woods. So what we like from the 50's, 60's and 70's are vastly different from early clubs. Like today, the irons are vastly different in forgiveness and feel, for better or worse. Yes, it's a game they (the manufactures) all play to us to buy the latest, and a lot of us choose not to, myself included. I build all of my own clubs (Wishon) and I love tinkering with them, I bought them because I felt the love Tom Wishon had for the game, and how he has resisted to go into the modern way of de-lofting irons to make you feel like you hit it "further". But I do want to the industry to thrive, let them buy clubs and let the game live on. When I first started to learn how to play, or hit the ball in the mid 70's I did not see a course until 1981. And I only played then because it was free if you were on the high school golf team, at a 'hoity toity" golf club, or so they thought. My point being, if golf wasn't thriving, we wouldn't have much to choose from as far as courses are concerned, like we do today. I do think it's getting ridiculous, the way the industry is going. It's practically ridiculous with everything else also. It's fortunate that we have the choice to choose what we want to play with! I'm old school. It's to my benefit that vintage stereo equipment is cheaper (and much better) than today's stuff. All of my hunting rifles and shotguns are from the 40's to the 80's, when quality was still in the product for a modest price. I guess it seems right that I would get into older golf gear and go back to feel like it used to. My first set of irons and woods was a "Patty Berg" ladies set. Very flexible and I think it made my slice terrible to worse but I played them. Didn't know who she was for another 30 years.

> > I'm really unsure of what old irons I should buy, or what ones are good. I know they made cheapies back in the day too. Any help would be great! I see old clubs everywhere, I'd love to pick up a good set and smack'em around the course.

>

> Picking up on your comment on hunting rifles, in the 60's I had 2 x BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) handmade rifles in 30.06 (Majestic) and .243 (Monarch) beautifully finished rifles made by WW2 craftsmen. BSA was sold to India. Also had a Baikal u/o 12g field model, built like a Russian brick outhouse and very reliable.

>

>

Yea, I really dig the old stuff!

> @Breadfan said:

> Actually, I do not get my name from the band named Bread. It’s the name of a song by Metallica. I figured I better clear the air quick on that one! Now my sister loved Bread and I do happen to know practically every single song they wrote from sounds coming through the wall...But I went the other way when I was young. Thanks for the comments, I’ll start looking more closely, I know of a few places that I can start. Ben Hogen always had my attention so I may start there!

Check out the version recorded by Budgie in 1973.

> @BKN1964 said:

> > @Breadfan said:

> > Actually, I do not get my name from the band named Bread. It’s the name of a song by Metallica. I figured I better clear the air quick on that one! Now my sister loved Bread and I do happen to know practically every single song they wrote from sounds coming through the wall...But I went the other way when I was young. Thanks for the comments, I’ll start looking more closely, I know of a few places that I can start. Ben Hogen always had my attention so I may start there!

>

> Check out the version recorded by Budgie in 1973.

Yes, I've heard it, they wrote it. I really like some of the old bands that influenced them.

> @Breadfan said:

You have excellent taste. That song kicks so much backside. \m/

• 2 weeks later...

> @stevemcgee99 said:

> Sometimes I hit a 6 iron from 30 yards off the green because I see that as the club that will get my ball closest to the hole, if not in it.

I do the same - learned chipping from my first trainer, a Scot named Roy Hallam - and his ideas came from the windblown Scottish courses.

And wasn't it Lee Trevino, who claimed: There are no style points in golf - only the result matters! ?

That said, the majority of European courses are based on traditional English, Scottish and Irish ones - hard to reach the fairway, easy to get on the green, since the greens are not protected by bunkers "Fort Knox style".

• Like 1