New to golf, what irons should I get?

Whattheputt

Hey guys new to golf and new to wrx.

I've been golfing maybe 10 times in my life and I'm quite bad of course. I'm ready to start taking the game seriously. I went for my first coaching session last week and have 5 more lined up later this year.

I've done alot of research on different irons and I was planning on getting a set of forgiving ones but then I thought maybe just pick up a set like the p790s that I can grow into, I'm just wondering if that would be a wise decision or not?

If you're pretty confident you're going to stick with it and you have budget, 790's are an okay choice.. a little on the small side IMO for a high handicap player.

If I were you, I would spend as little as money as possible on the irons. Something like used Rbladez or RSi's for as cheap as humanly possible. Same with basically every club except putter. IMO you can be a no0b but still get a lot of out a good putter that fits you. You don't need a great "swing" to putt well, although it does take practice and natural touch. Suggest maybe buying a used Odyssey or something that you like the looks of, then get a putting lesson, then go get fit on SAM or Quintic to try and dial it in to your natural stroke. Getting a proper putter fitting is already shaving strokes off my score for 2019.

You're going to hack your driver and irons around for a while probably so I wouldn't go spending tons of money on those. Focus on lessons and the flat stick with your $$.

My 2 cents:

Go to Goodwill and assemble the following (mixed if necessary) set of "irons":

56 degree sand wedge

pitching wedge

5-9 irons

19* hybrid

If the grips are worn, regrip the clubs as necessary.

If you don't need to regrip any clubs, you might get away with spending less than $50 total. If you have any talent for the game, it'll show through even with less-than-optimal equipment. So don't worry about being fitted or if the clubs aren't "right" for you. After a season of play, you'll know if you're hooked on the game or not. Then you'll also have the basis for "your" swing. Then you'll be in a better position to determine if you want to spend real money for a new set of shiny irons.

Good luck. It's a great game, but an expensive one. Don't spend the money unless you know you're hooked. There'll be plenty of time later to spend all the money you want on things you'll need (and things you don't even know you need yet and the things you don't need but want anyway).

Travel to Japan and find a HONMA store and get fitted professionally.

Only wear FJ and Titleist attire.. it will give you extra 5 yards per items you have on..

Just kidding..

I would start with any type of game improvement irons.. New or used, depends on what you can afford. Good that you're starting out with lessons, gets you started in right direction.

I agree with going cheap on the first set. Go to Callaway Pre-owned or TaylorMade used and get a cheap but decent set of irons, wedges, driver, putter etc. If you get hooked on the game and get decent quickly, then you may want to progress to a “better” set someday. But your tastes and needs are going to change so much that you may as well just start with something you can be happy with for a couple of years and then decide later if you “need” new clubs based on your new level of skill or taste or whatever.

Local classifieds and used sections in golf shops are your friend. As your game develops your tastes in clubs and what clubs suit you will surely change. Get a decent used set together and get you basics down, once your feeling comfortable with your game start to upgrade stuff as you see fit. You may regret some purchases if you jump right in as your tastes and skills develop. So much stuff available used at a huge discount and alot of it is in great shape as some guys upgrade quite frequently and flip there gear. Literally everything in my current bag exept my hybrid was purchased second hand at huge discounts in excellent shape. I havent gone for any fittings yet because I'm waiting til i feel my game is at a more consistent level. (my own thinking, fittings can certainly help beginners as well)

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

^ That can be true yea, most of my stuff was aquired off "Kijiji" our Canadian online buy/sell app, had you not clipped my quote it included "online classifieds" lol

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Like these guys have said, just get yourself some good second-hand irons to start off with, something like Ping G400. These are great for beginners and also decent players so you’ll not grow out of them. They also hold their value well so when you do sell them on you’ll not lose much. Once you’re getting good and have established a swing that suits you then go for a fitting and get new clubs, won’t be for a couple of years I would suspect.

• Like 1

> @Ferguson said:

> Before new irons, you should consider a new avatar, perhaps a Fernando Rey.

> Irons - hit a bunch and get a used set. It's a small investment and they can be traded again when it's time to go new.

>

That could be tough though @Ferguson, jumping head-on into Fernando Rey, seems you should only use that avatar when you've been around the block and have that suavivity of posting, and the golf history to back it up. Perhaps Fernando Lamas, or Rey Mysterio...

Late to the party - and I second everything that’s been said with regards to buying used. Used clubs give you best value for money and any decent set of game improvement clubs from 2013 and newer would be more than good enough. I would just regrip them and you’re good to go - that’s what I did anyway when I picked up the game again after a 10 year hiatus, and managed to get down to a 10 hcp - had a set of Nike Covert 2.0 irons.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

^ Thanks for the suggestion of beg> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @Whattheputt said:

> > Cool I appreciate the feedback guys I'll get a cheaper set then!

>

> Welcome to WRX by the way Whatthe, hope you feel very much at home here. So much to learn and share, I think you will be very glad you joined :)

Thanks Sixty, very glad already you guys all seem very nice and helpful I really appreciate it.

I'd echo others and say go as cheap as you can. Until you are sure you will want to take the sport up long term it's just not worth spending $$$ on the best equipment. Either buy second-hand or else Amazon will do a bag, trolley, and complete club set for about £250 ($300).

Once you have got over the worst of the initial 'what the bleep am I doing' and decided that you are in for the long haul consider getting game improvement clubs. Personally I favour the Callaway Big Bertha OS series but a complete set with a driver is going to be knocking on for a couple of grand.

Oh and I'd also say (heresy for a lot of members here) that enjoying golf doesn't have to require good scores. Quite a lot of us just enjoy the experience and don't really care whether we win or not :)

WTP, please be aware the shaft is the really important.

I would pick the brand/style of the head you liked and try every different shaft they offer with that head in the used section. be sure to try the DG R300, S300, X100 to start before purchasing a set. One of those shafts will give you the best contact vs the others..

once you know what you like, look online for the cheapest price while putting the ones from the store on hold..

Welcome to Wrx, you're going to run through so many clubs bro its not even funny.

> @Whattheputt said:

> > @vaca22 said:

> > Make sure you post pics of whatever it is you end up with!

>

> Will do I promise. I've been looking on Canadian classifieds and not finding great deals might just have to buy new if the savings aren't right..

I'm also in Canada. You can usually find sets of Taylormade Rocketbladez for pretty cheap (maybe $200) on Kijiji. Get your swing going with those until you start shooting decent scores and get a repeatable swing then get fit. I'm in London there is a nice condition set of Mizuno MP53 around me. I don't think it matters that much at this point. Just get something with decent forgiveness and a pretty neutral shaft.

Ping G series clubs like the G25 would be a wise choice. Go through Pings online fitting app and see what they say in terms of length and lie angle and then go hunting. A set of G25's can be had for $200 USD which is plenty cheap enough. Try to stay within a color code or maybe two of where Ping suggests. The shafts won't matter all that much at this point in your golf career other than I'd stay away from X and A (senior) flex, and stay away from something heavy like Dynamic Gold. Get CFS or AWT shafts in R or S and you will be good to go.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Getting used is a great start and I don't know about your budget but I assume you want it cheap so I suggest Callaways from the 90s to early 2000s. The Big Berthas from the 90s are one of the most forgiving clubs they ever made and Monty won a bunch of tournaments with them. The X-14s are still highly regarded till this day as they're forgiving and tour proven (just ask Annika). So highly regarded they released the XRs a few years ago which is inspired by the X-14s.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

> @Fourrrr said:

> I would look for some used Ping G30 or the G25 irons. You can’t go wrong with anything from Ping in the forgiveness category.

I’m going to echo what Fourrrr said. My little brother is 22 and just wanting to start golfing. We are currently looking for him a good used set of Ping G30’s or similar. Can’t go wrong with these, will make learning the game easier on you.

Might be cool for a beginner to pick up some Ping Eye 2 irons. Quite possibly the most popular irons of all time, and not terribly expensive. I’ve never played them myself, though. Any thoughts?

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/