GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Is the Pro V1 in trouble?

1246
6

Comments

  • BottleCapBottleCap Members  1505WRX Points: 262Posts: 1,505 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #92
    Titleist also has lots of head pros at private clubs on their staff.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD 70 S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP 69 3-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall St. Johns / Jacksonville FloridaMembers  2375WRX Points: 136Posts: 2,375 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #93
    I have found myself trying everything except Tiitleist the last few years. Titleist will always be my standard but... I like an X ball characteristic but dont care for the feel. That being said, I am trying other companies X balls in search of similar performance and a bit softer feel.<br />
    <br />
    Currently trying out the TP5X. Tried Chromesoft X last year and really liked the feel but spun too much on approach shots for me. I also just went back to MB's and gained some spin back along with a higher launch so I may be going back to a non X ball...
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • hgtiger24hgtiger24 Members  87WRX Points: 62Handicap: 12Posts: 87 Fairways
    Joined:  #94
    Right now? No. Tons of the older crowd still buy pro Vs and only pro v. Among younger golfers? Yea, they are. Out of my entire college golf team as well as guys i've met from other programs very few play pro v. I see more srixon than anything partially because of price point. TP5 is coming in hot and theres even a few guys that have stock from the nike rzns. Pro V is still great, but i don't think they're as dominant in the market as they were. $50 is a lot for a dozen balls.
    Posted:
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJMembers  1124WRX Points: 300Handicap: 4Posts: 1,124 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #95
    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.
    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • swgolf12swgolf12 Members  1113WRX Points: 241Posts: 1,113 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #96
    wfrogge1 wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The ProV1x and AVX are on completely different ends of the spectrum from each other so I don't see this happening<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Uhh, what??? They're both in the premium ball category, both have the same price point, not sure how they're "completely different ends of the spectrum"
    Posted:
    XTD 10.5* Pro Launch Blue 55X
    917F2 16.5* Fuji P95X
    Nike VFP 3 Fuji P95X
    T-MB 4 CT130X
    5-PW VR Pro CB/MB Raw Combo CT130X
    National Custom 53/58 CT130X
    Raw Hi-Toe 64* CT130X
    Spider/Cameron
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers  3276WRX Points: 600Handicap: 8.3Posts: 3,276 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #97
    swgolf12 wrote:
    <br />
    wfrogge1 wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The ProV1x and AVX are on completely different ends of the spectrum from each other so I don't see this happening<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Uhh, what??? They're both in the premium ball category, both have the same price point, not sure how they're "completely different ends of the spectrum"<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I think he means performance spectrum;
    Posted:

    Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

    Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

    Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

    Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

    Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

    Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • dkr1269dkr1269 Members  56WRX Points: 26Handicap: 18Posts: 56 Bunkers
    Joined:  #98
    The Pro V1 is a wonderful ball, possibly the best. But their competition from Callaway to Vice and all between now make balls that are comparable. Some people will like one over the other for various reasons. The competition actually did Titleist a huge favor by raising their prices to Pro V1 levels. As long as the price is close, Titleist won't have any problems selling balls.
    Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2793WRX Points: 985Posts: 2,793 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #99
    <br />
    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Getting paid to with his recent Callaway deal
    Posted:
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJMembers  1124WRX Points: 300Handicap: 4Posts: 1,124 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #100
    GoGoErky wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Getting paid to with his recent Callaway deal<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Is there anybody not being paid to play a ball on tour?
    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers  4595WRX Points: 1,623Posts: 4,595 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #101
    <br />
    GoGoErky wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Getting paid to with his recent Callaway deal<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Is there anybody not being paid to play a ball on tour?<br />
    Brooks Koepka and Patrick Reed. May be others.
    Posted:
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members  3449WRX Points: 363Posts: 3,449 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 13, 2019 #102
    I think the stats demonstrate that like drivers, premium golf balls are at or close to their max potential and there is very little difference between the manufacturers. Personal preference and fitting will dictate which ball is best for an individual but overall it seems any edge Titleist had or claimed to have no longer exists beyond what they choose to pay professionals to select their ball over their competitors.
    Posted:
    Driver - Home Callaway Epic Flash   Away Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Apex CF-19 5-SW
    Wedge - PXG 58* 
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Members  1282WRX Points: 218Posts: 1,282 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #103
    swgolf12 wrote:
    <br />
    wfrogge1 wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I heard from inside Titleist, they are switching the characteristics so the ProV1 will be the primary choice, the Pro V will go and the AVX will stay. There is evidence that they are doing this.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The ProV1x and AVX are on completely different ends of the spectrum from each other so I don't see this happening<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Uhh, what??? They're both in the premium ball category, both have the same price point, not sure how they're "completely different ends of the spectrum"<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    One ball spins more off irons and wedges than any other on the market while the other is not even close. The AVX is made for players that come in steep and add a lot of spin. A good player that does not come in steep will have issues with the AVX off the tee and out of the rough (not enough spin for many)
    Posted:
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJMembers  1124WRX Points: 300Handicap: 4Posts: 1,124 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #104
    new2g0lf wrote:
    <br />
    I think the stats demonstrate that like drivers, premium golf balls are at or close to their max potential and there is very little difference between the manufacturers. Personal preference and fitting will dictate which ball is best for an individual but overall it seems any edge Titleist had or claimed to have no longer exists beyond what they choose to pay professionals to select their ball over their competitors.<br />
    <br />
    As usual, very well said.
    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJMembers  1124WRX Points: 300Handicap: 4Posts: 1,124 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #105
    grm24 wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    GoGoErky wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    I believe Molinari just switched to Chrome Soft.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Getting paid to with his recent Callaway deal<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Is there anybody not being paid to play a ball on tour?<br />
    Brooks Koepka and Patrick Reed. May be others.<br />
    <br />
    And Reed switched to the Z-Star and said it is a better ball. LOL
    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • DZ973DZ973 ClubWRX  73WRX Points: 63Handicap: 9Posts: 73 Bunkers
    Joined:  #106

    Mannnn “inside sources” yadda yadda...

    You wanna know why Titleist is going to be #1 forever, especially on tours?

    It’s not because of ball flight characteristics, spin numbers or build..... ITS THEIR QUALITY CONTROL.

    Sure the TP5 is an amazing ball. Punches pound for pound with the pro V1. BUT fill a glass with a ton of epsom salt; put a dot (with a sharpie) on 12 TP5s, and put a dot on 12 ProV1s, and then float them.

    Now, does this matter to average joes like us? Absolutely not, but for the pros it’s a HUGE difference. And as the pros keep using titleists flagship ball (no matter what they call it) titleist will still use their same slogan in the commercials, and guys like us will STILL fork over the dough because we see it in the commercial, and hear the tag line.

    (Off my soapbox)

    Posted:
  • BubbBubb Members  1340WRX Points: 159Handicap: 8Posts: 1,340 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #107

    On -, @DZ973 said:

    Mannnn “inside sources” yadda yadda...

    You wanna know why Titleist is going to be #1 forever, especially on tours?

    It’s not because of ball flight characteristics, spin numbers or build..... ITS THEIR QUALITY CONTROL.

    Sure the TP5 is an amazing ball. Punches pound for pound with the pro V1. BUT fill a glass with a ton of epsom salt; put a dot (with a sharpie) on 12 TP5s, and put a dot on 12 ProV1s, and then float them.

    Now, does this matter to average joes like us? Absolutely not, but for the pros it’s a HUGE difference. And as the pros keep using titleists flagship ball (no matter what they call it) titleist will still use their same slogan in the commercials, and guys like us will STILL fork over the dough because we see it in the commercial, and hear the tag line.

    (Off my soapbox)

    So is Rickie going to see a "HUGE" difference as a result of his recent switch? If not, it's presumably because he has access to balls that have been specially-selected, right? And if the pros have access to specially-selected balls, why would Titleist's quality control be THE difference maker in determining tour usage as you've suggested?

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #108

    In a word yes. Since the beginning of the year it looks like the TP5 is leading in wins. With Titleist and Callaway tied. Bridgestone one or two back. Titleist has never had so much competition as they do now. :

    Posted:
  • Ping ZingsPing Zings Members  845WRX Points: 85Posts: 845 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #109

    Why do you think they brought out the Yellow ball.

    Posted:
  • starrman77starrman77 Starrman Northeast ohioMembers  465WRX Points: 157Handicap: 8Posts: 465 Greens
    Joined:  #110

    Many pro's will continue to play them because they are a good ball and they are free. There are just too many good cheaper options for the rest of us to bother with these at almost $50.00 a dz.

    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue draw 10.5* 44.5"
    Ping i3OS Irons 3 thru UW
    Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
    Ping G #4 crossover
    Titleist Vokey 56* SW
    Ping Cadence Tomcat C putter 34-3/4"
    Snell MTBX
  • backhillbackhill Members  119WRX Points: 76Posts: 119 Fairways
    Joined:  #111

    Three mentions:

    IF you take Rickie's win and very timely switch, Titleist's numbers would look much better with 5 against the field, but the switch was made, and so we have the list we have.

    Most course pro shops (even some retailers) have the PV in stock (not everyone). Sometimes I'm not as certain that I will find a sleeve of what I need on the shelf when I need it regarding the Chrome Soft, TP5, Bridgestones, and Srixons. Outside of the tour trend, the ProV love is still very strong for the people with change in their pocket. I even get excited when I find one out on the course.

    Obviously we are seeing a trend away from the PV on tour. As mentioned before, change is inevitable. When or how that change comes about is unknown. The 2019 TP5(x) numbers make it very interesting for those with high, tour-level, swing speeds.

    Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16840WRX Points: 1,012Handicap: 4-5Posts: 16,840 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 28, 2019 #112

    Who wins with what ball does not define the value of a ball like ProV1. The number of ProV1 users, on the other hand, still beat all other balls. Yes, there are many other balls, but this provides facts. https://is.gd/Dj4lVx "Titleist golf ball players have recorded 120 victories around the world, nearly seven times the nearest competitor with 16. Since its introduction in 2000, the Pro V1 golf ball franchise has been the golf ball of choice for more than 2,900 champions worldwide."

    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i110 "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i110/i125 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX



  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJMembers  1124WRX Points: 300Handicap: 4Posts: 1,124 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #113

    On -, @Pepperturbo said:

    Who wins with what ball does not define the value of a ball like ProV1. The number of ProV1 users, on the other hand, still beat all other balls. Yes, there are many other balls, but this provides facts. https://is.gd/Dj4lVx "Titleist golf ball players have recorded 120 victories around the world, nearly seven times the nearest competitor with 16. Since its introduction in 2000, the Pro V1 golf ball franchise has been the golf ball of choice for more than 2,900 champions worldwide."

    They are almost all being paid to play the ball. Don't fall for their marketing gimmick. They have like a gazillion players under contract to play their ball which is a large part of the reason they have to charge $48/dz.

    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members  4630WRX Points: 972Posts: 4,630 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #114

    On -, @backhill said:

    Three mentions:

    IF you take Rickie's win and very timely switch, Titleist's numbers would look much better with 5 against the field, but the switch was made, and so we have the list we have.

    Most course pro shops (even some retailers) have the PV in stock (not everyone). Sometimes I'm not as certain that I will find a sleeve of what I need on the shelf when I need it regarding the Chrome Soft, TP5, Bridgestones, and Srixons. Outside of the tour trend, the ProV love is still very strong for the people with change in their pocket. I even get excited when I find one out on the course.

    Obviously we are seeing a trend away from the PV on tour. As mentioned before, change is inevitable. When or how that change comes about is unknown. The 2019 TP5(x) numbers make it very interesting for those with high, tour-level, swing speeds.

    Can you provide the numbers that show we are obviously seeing a trend away from the PV on tour?

    Posted:
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members  4630WRX Points: 972Posts: 4,630 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #115

    Here's the latest update for those still interested in this.
    Thus far in the 2018-19 professional golf season, Titleist golf ball players have recorded 35 victories around the world. The nearest competitor has 11 victories. The worldwide golf ball count stands at Titleist with 5,573 and the nearest competitor at 721.

    If this not undeniable evidence that the Pro V1 is clearly in trouble, then I don't know what it. They have got to do something before it is too late or they are toast. Must be a lot of late night meetings taking place.

    Posted:
  • FlyOverFlyOver SoCalMembers  394WRX Points: 108Handicap: 5Posts: 394 Greens
    Joined:  edited Mar 29, 2019 #116

    On -, @rybo said:

    In a word yes. Since the beginning of the year it looks like the TP5 is leading in wins. With Titleist and Callaway tied. Bridgestone one or two back. Titleist has never had so much competition as they do now. :

    The TP5 is played by DJ, Rahm, Rory, Rose, and Fowler. How can they not have the majority of wins. Those are all top 10 players!

    Add Tiger and Day....The TP5 ball has 7 of the top 15 players in the world. Odds are a TP5 ball will win the Masters.

    Posted:
  • GeorgeHWBGeorgeHWB Members  2151WRX Points: 1,590Posts: 2,151 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #117

    More players at the Yucatan Masters used the Titleist ProV1 than all other balls.

    COMBINED!

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 NJMembers  1124WRX Points: 300Handicap: 4Posts: 1,124 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #118

    On -, @FlyOver said:

    On -, @rybo said:

    In a word yes. Since the beginning of the year it looks like the TP5 is leading in wins. With Titleist and Callaway tied. Bridgestone one or two back. Titleist has never had so much competition as they do now. :

    The TP5 is played by DJ, Rahm, Rory, Rose, and Fowler. How can they not have the majority of wins. Those are all top 10 players!

    Add Tiger and Day....The TP5 ball has 7 of the top 15 players in the world. Odds are a TP5 ball will win the Masters.

    Tiger plays a Bridgestone B XS.

    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
    2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
    Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • backhillbackhill Members  119WRX Points: 76Posts: 119 Fairways
    Joined:  #119

    On -, @North Texas said:

    On -, @backhill said:

    Three mentions:

    IF you take Rickie's win and very timely switch, Titleist's numbers would look much better with 5 against the field, but the switch was made, and so we have the list we have.

    Most course pro shops (even some retailers) have the PV in stock (not everyone). Sometimes I'm not as certain that I will find a sleeve of what I need on the shelf when I need it regarding the Chrome Soft, TP5, Bridgestones, and Srixons. Outside of the tour trend, the ProV love is still very strong for the people with change in their pocket. I even get excited when I find one out on the course.

    Obviously we are seeing a trend away from the PV on tour. As mentioned before, change is inevitable. When or how that change comes about is unknown. The 2019 TP5(x) numbers make it very interesting for those with high, tour-level, swing speeds.

    Can you provide the numbers that show we are obviously seeing a trend away from the PV on tour?

    No hard numbers, just subjective optics. I think players on tour are finding more comparable, or better, with other makers. Obviously the PV is still dominating but I think their market share on tour has diminished slightly.

    Posted:
6

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.