2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mizuno ST 190 Driver

flushem

Not correct to portray the new driver as simply a different paint scheme and a few tweaks. I really could not stand how the 180 felt or how it set up. Had nothing to do with the color for me. Really, I liked the contrast of the black face against the blue head for alignment. That was the only thing I liked about it. Sounded weird, felt bad, closed setup. I gave it to my nephew who wanted draw bias and advised he try hot melting it. But he ended up unloading it and is still using an M2.

Mizuno did not engineer this driver from that one at all. Their chief designer said Mizuno thought the 180 was lacking in some areas. They sought a major change in thinking. This was a back-to-the-drawing-board reset and they came up with en entirely new head and construction. A much better head. Lots of guys buy older new stock. I do it all the time. But this year’s head a major step up. Tour pros try everything and what you hear is they think it blows away the 180. No way would you see a guy like Keith Mitchell move away from a TaylorMade to the 180, but he got his first win on any tour with the fixed 190.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Not correct to portray the new driver as simply a different paint scheme and a few tweaks. I really could not stand how the 180 felt or how it set up. Had nothing to do with the color for me. Really, I liked the contrast of the black face against the blue head for alignment. That was the only thing I liked about it. Sounded weird, felt bad, closed setup. I gave it to my nephew who wanted draw bias and advised he try hot melting it. But he ended up unloading it and is still using an M2.

Mizuno did not engineer this driver from that one at all. Their chief designer said Mizuno thought the 180 was lacking in some areas. They sought a major change in thinking. This was a back-to-the-drawing-board reset and they came up with en entirely new head and construction. A much better head. Lots of guys buy older new stock. I do it all the time. But this year's head a major step up. Tour pros try everything and what you hear is they think it blows away the 180. No way would you see a guy like Keith Mitchell move away from a TaylorMade to the 180, but he got his first win on any tour with the fixed 190.

Fair enough, and point taken. Once I get to hit the ST vs GT 180 and decide what works better for me, would it be safe to assume I'd get the same or better from the same 190 head? In other words, if I hit both and absolutely love the GT over the ST in the 180, would that mean the same would probably hold true in the 190 line? As I said, to my knowledge no place around me has Mizuno woods to demo, so would be trying the 190 blind.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

• 3 weeks later...

This driver has really been working well for me. I have the 9.5 st (non adjustable) with Atmos Black ts 6x. Great looks and feel.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

All in on this!

Beat out everything for me, the Epic Flash and Cobra f9 were close but the regular ST190 9.5 turned down to 8.5 beat everything with Tensei White 70TX. Going through a couple swing changes and my numbers aren't perfect but I'm so impressed and it's $150 cheaper than the Epic, Tmags or Titleist, that's REALLY impressive.

Really excited to get this going and beyond the numbers winning it's easily the best looking and sounding driver out this year imo. A total surprise from start to finish but it's the real deal, everyone should try this. n5d4s4eckhvp.jpeg

kgrnh5nonkas.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

@Wdwfreak solid!!!

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

@Wdwfreak ... did you try the 190G to see if you could get the spin down a little more? Solid numbers, love the dispersion chart. How do you find the 190 comparing in ball speeds to what you normally see? Faster for me, just curious if others are seeing the same.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

> @blackngold_blood said:

> For those playing the 190g or has demoed both, do these seem like there is about 30* of loft when soled? The ST190 9.5* head I bought just showed up and man does it look like it has 6 iron loft! Lol

Can’t say that it seems like it’s lofted that high though the rolled black top could promote that appearance. Does it look open to you? The face is square but the top line looks open to me. Haha

> @BlackM00Nlight said:

> > @blackngold_blood said:

> > For those playing the 190g or has demoed both, do these seem like there is about 30* of loft when soled? The ST190 9.5* head I bought just showed up and man does it look like it has 6 iron loft! Lol

>

> Can’t say that it seems like it’s lofted that high though the rolled black top could promote that appearance. Does it look open to you? The face is square but the top line looks open to me. Haha

I actually thought it looks a little closed to my eye. Lol. I like to sole my driver before I take my grip with the driver and when I unboxed it and sat it on the counter it looked like it had massive loft. Not from address but from the side while on the counter.

> @BlackM00Nlight said:

> Anyone here any whispering of a new ST-190 hybrid line by chance? The CLK is several years old already and just curious before filing out $250 if there was an update a smidge behind the driver/fairway.

The CLK can be had for $120 new on ebay all day long...spring for one of those.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @Nixhex524 said:

> @Wdwfreak ... did you try the 190G to see if you could get the spin down a little more? Solid numbers, love the dispersion chart. How do you find the 190 comparing in ball speeds to what you normally see? Faster for me, just curious if others are seeing the same.

Did my testing with a tensei white untipped and I find that helps me bring that down a couple hundred rpms when my completed driver is tipped 1".

I did try the G, saw more ballspeed retention on the 190 as well as slightly more fade biased on the 190 which I don't mind. Lastly I just didn't think I needed the adjustability. The spin wasn't very far off between either model, others may see something different.

The ballspeed was higher than any other driver, no doubt. It was enormous, first thing that jumped out to me in testing

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > @BlackM00Nlight said:

> > Anyone here any whispering of a new ST-190 hybrid line by chance? The CLK is several years old already and just curious before filing out $250 if there was an update a smidge behind the driver/fairway.

>

> The CLK can be had for $120 new on ebay all day long...spring for one of those.

Not in an X flex shaft ??‍♂️

> @BlackM00Nlight said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > > @BlackM00Nlight said:

> > > Anyone here any whispering of a new ST-190 hybrid line by chance? The CLK is several years old already and just curious before filing out $250 if there was an update a smidge behind the driver/fairway.

> >

> > The CLK can be had for $120 new on ebay all day long...spring for one of those.

>

> Not in an X flex shaft ??‍♂️

>

I guess, I got one in S flex for $110 shipped a few months ago. Theyre really not that old...2017 I think?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > > > @BlackM00Nlight said:

> > > > Anyone here any whispering of a new ST-190 hybrid line by chance? The CLK is several years old already and just curious before filing out $250 if there was an update a smidge behind the driver/fairway.

> > >

> > > The CLK can be had for $120 new on ebay all day long...spring for one of those.

> >

> > Not in an X flex shaft ??‍♂️

> >

>

> I guess, I got one in S flex for $110 shipped a few months ago. Theyre really not that old...2017 I think?

Yeah, 2 years. That's seemingly the cycle for everyone's lineup these days. Just don't want to have happen to me like some with the G400 Max, dropping a few months later after the rest of the cycle.

I have located a mint condition X flex but its 1.5" over standard (facepalm). Just as well order a new one with the heavy x-flex shaft upright with shaft logo down and my grip/wraps on it.

> @BlackM00Nlight said:

> I have located a mint condition X flex but its 1.5" over standard (facepalm). Just as well order a new one with the heavy x-flex shaft upright with shaft logo down and my grip/wraps on it.

I was gonna say...just order any head in good shape and in any weird flex then put your own shaft on it lol

I tried the ST190G 9.5 at standard setting with both weights in the middle of the rails a few days ago with a tensei white CK 70g shaft. Trajectory and ball flight was what I wanted as it was similar to my M3 Tour with a Devotion 7 shaft. The question I don’t know if the ball speed. I’m going to have to test it with trackman to see.

> @BlackM00Nlight said:

> > @blackngold_blood said:

> > It is here! Crappy weather today so I didn't get a chance to hit it but hopefully tomorrow is better. kisi4w66u151.jpg

> > 5uodcogd2lr1.jpg

> > o6r91sdqospo.jpg

> > 5y4cz1wwsd1b.jpg

> >

> Make it out today?

>

Unfortunately no. I am on call this weekend and today seemed like the day for everyone's sewer to back up or furnace to quit working. Maybe next weekend!

> > > @blackngold_blood said:

> > > It is here! Crappy weather today so I didn't get a chance to hit it but hopefully tomorrow is better. kisi4w66u151.jpg

> > > 5uodcogd2lr1.jpg

> > > o6r91sdqospo.jpg

> > > 5y4cz1wwsd1b.jpg

> > >

> > Make it out today?

> >

>

> Unfortunately no. I am on call this weekend and today seemed like the day for everyone's sewer to back up or furnace to quit working. Maybe next weekend!

Shucks! I haven’t been out yet either since getting mine Thursday

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

> @gsrjc said:

> Looks good. What made you choose regular over the G version?

I went with the regular for the extra forgiveness. I actually haven’t hit either as of yet, hoping for some nice weather this weekend since I am finally not on call. For me though I am ok with not making out distance for a few more fairways as I play a lot of PW and GW into greens on my current courses anyways.

> > @gsrjc said:

> > Looks good. What made you choose regular over the G version?

>

> I went with the regular for the extra forgiveness. I actually haven’t hit either as of yet, hoping for some nice weather this weekend since I am finally not on call. For me though I am ok with not making out distance for a few more fairways as I play a lot of PW and GW into greens on my current courses anyways.

>

I see on the forgiveness. I will admit the regular does have more forgiveness. let us know how it works for you as i'm still considering a new driver but after this past weekend with the m3 tour gamer, it might be tough to knock that out of the bag.