2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

Openwater22

You are a little over an hour from Streamsong from St. Pete.....A bit of a drive but they have 3 amazing courses. I have played both the Red and Blue and they are fantastic but a bit pricey. If you have that much time to get away its gonna be hard to beat Streamsong.

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

> @kalamazoo said:

> Figured I’d try here since I can’t get the Florida guys to respond: Where would you play around St Pete? I know it’s not a great area for golf, but I’ll be down there all next week and got time to play. Any recommendations from you guys?

Maybe look to the south. Sarasota National, Lakewood Ranch and Esplanade are solid options. Not sure of drive time, but should be around an hour or so.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

I got out and walked a decently quick 9 at ROGC. I practiced lagging and short game a lot otherwise I could’ve been quicker. There was a group of hs or college aged kids in front of me and one of them kept duffing, and running after the ball, duffing/shanking again, running after the ball, etc. and leaving his bag behind. Did this multiple times on a par 5 and had to scurry back 70-90 yards for his bag. Strangest thing I’ve seen in a while, but they were cool and let me play through.> @jcorna01 said:

> Any recommendations for accessing a launch monitor to determine distances with new irons? I know Miles/Carl’s offer gap fittings for $125 or so but wondering if there were other cheaper options.

Don Price at DC Golf Studio in Royal Oak will give you time/fitting for about ~$50-75 on his indoor SkyTrak system. He has a lot of iron shafts (KBS, Modus, etc), but doesn't carry much inventory in heads or woods shafts too if you want to try out a few things.

> @1puttTUT said:

> Well I found a good deal on new irons so I took the plunge: Mizuno 919 forged with Modus 105s shafts. They should be waiting for me when I get back from Florida!

Awesome! Love the feel of Modus, and they spin well for me. I want to jump to Modus from my C-tapers but can't convince myself fully.

> @backhill said:

> Awesome! Love the feel of Modus, and they spin well for me. I want to jump to Modus from my C-tapers but can't convince myself fully.

Way back in '15 when I got fit for my irons, the shafts that were under consideration after testing a lot of different options were X100, C Taper, and Modus 120. All of them gave me decent results, but the Modus 120 was just that little bit more consistent, and also has a smooth feel that I prefer. The 120 has a pretty soft handle, which makes it feel softer than the flex, but I find that it does perform like other x-flex shafts I've used. The 130 is completely different and has a very stiff handle, and for me, it doesn't fit at all. From what I've heard, the 125 is kind of a blend of the two. If you do switch, I'd recommend you do some testing beforehand, if possible to find the model that's best for you.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

> @"3 Jack Par" said:

> > @backhill said:

> > Awesome! Love the feel of Modus, and they spin well for me. I want to jump to Modus from my C-tapers but can't convince myself fully.

>

> Way back in '15 when I got fit for my irons, the shafts that were under consideration after testing a lot of different options were X100, C Taper, and Modus 120. All of them gave me decent results, but the Modus 120 was just that little bit more consistent, and also has a smooth feel that I prefer. The 120 has a pretty soft handle, which makes it feel softer than the flex, but I find that it does perform like other x-flex shafts I've used. The 130 is completely different and has a very stiff handle, and for me, it doesn't fit at all. From what I've heard, the 125 is kind of a blend of the two. If you do switch, I'd recommend you do some testing beforehand, if possible to find the model that's best for you.

>

>

I run C-Taper Lite in Stiff at 110g in my 3-PW. I can get my 6i into the high 90s/low 100s if I'm putting the beans to it at this weight. I came from Burner 2.0s with 85g shafts so this was a huge change. I first used C-Taper S+ 125 and had trouble getting the long irons up.

The catalyst for looking into different shafts was that toward the end of last year I was swaying forward in transition with both the lower and upper body, causing super low stingers with the CTLs. I went to the Modus 105 which felt similar, but had a softer handle than the CTL, but felt really good in the tip. It felt like there was not too much play in the tip and my dispersion (eyeball test) was pretty good. I loved the Nippon 950 and 1050 and without changing anything else, they launched and spun much better with the leaning issue but it was all feel and range sessions without monitors. Since then, my approach to it is it's the indian, not the arrow and I've been focused on keeping my head behind the ball at impact to keep launch/spin up and so far have been successful, but I may still need help optimizing and equipment setup may be the key.

I'm very attached to my 714 AP2s and CTL combo. I bought a set of 718s with AMT White S300s and went on a monitor in January and compared the CTL against the AMT White S300 and to see how the weight progression worked through the iron set. The biggest take away was distance was virtually the same and they spun 700rpm more in the 9i. I didn't focus much on the longer irons because my biggest concern was the impact on my swing at the top of the set and the shaft weight hitting upwards of 127-130g in the 9i and PW, respectively, and being able to load that heavy of a shaft. On the long Irons, my carry was a little longer in 4-6i since they were lighter and easier to whip at speed, but not materially and I was leary of changing up my gapping.

I think I'll be getting fitted throughout the whole bag because to this point my set has been thrown together based on feel and gapping needs with the exception of the driver and 3w.

450 polo's and jackets going to birdie bundle next month! Things are going well...

Super pumped for the season to start as well. I got a few rounds in down in Florida and it's gonna be nice to keep the momentum going. I'll probably play a couple times next week. Already have a Wednesday tee time at Twin Lakes and I might walk nine at Katke on tues or thurs.

> @1puttTUT said:

> > @swizbeatz said:

> > Cut and rolled my home courses greens for the first time, really nice to see the ball roll end over end. Probably an 11 on the stimp already and pure. Made my second albatross with a 3 wood from 260 last week.

>

> ****! Congrats....

Thanks, pretty lucky for sure. I’ve got the 2 along with 4 aces in the last 7 years or so. As you can probably tell I just followed you on IG as well.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

> @swizbeatz said:

> > @1puttTUT said:

> > > @swizbeatz said:

> > > Cut and rolled my home courses greens for the first time, really nice to see the ball roll end over end. Probably an 11 on the stimp already and pure. Made my second albatross with a 3 wood from 260 last week.

> >

> > ****! Congrats....

>

>

> Thanks, pretty lucky for sure. I’ve got the 2 along with 4 aces in the last 7 years or so. As you can probably tell I just followed you on IG as well.

>

Saw that, thanks...good looking swing btw ?

> @1puttTUT said:

> Alright guys, I need a huge favor. The next time you're at Carl's, please request them to carry our brand (Benjamin David golf). I met with Derek, the merchandise VP and he seemed interested, but needed a push, saying if he knew there was a demand he would be in. So next time you're in there ask for us...beers on me!

will do...i stop in there a decent amount as i work across the street!

> @1puttTUT said:

> Alright guys, I need a huge favor. The next time you're at Carl's, please request them to carry our brand (Benjamin David golf). I met with Derek, the merchandise VP and he seemed interested, but needed a push, saying if he knew there was a demand he would be in. So next time you're in there ask for us...beers on me!

Well damn, I was just in there yesterday. Any time I'm in I'll be sure to ask. Either store?

> @1puttTUT said:

> > @backhill said:

> > > @1puttTUT said:

> > > Alright guys, I need a huge favor. The next time you're at Carl's, please request them to carry our brand (Benjamin David golf). I met with Derek, the merchandise VP and he seemed interested, but needed a push, saying if he knew there was a demand he would be in. So next time you're in there ask for us...beers on me!

> >

> > Well ****, I was just in there yesterday. Any time I'm in I'll be sure to ask. Either store?

>

> Yeah either store is fine. I only deal with Bloomfield store, but I don't want anyone to go out of there way.

>

> Also, if anyone wants to borrow a putter for a week or two just to try for fun I'd be happy to get one in your hands. No sales pitch, I just want to get feedback.

Will do. I work west side and pop into the Plymouth store at lunch, but live closer to the Bloomfield store, and go in there for the better selection/range.

> @1puttTUT said:

> > @backhill said:

> > > @1puttTUT said:

> > > Alright guys, I need a huge favor. The next time you're at Carl's, please request them to carry our brand (Benjamin David golf). I met with Derek, the merchandise VP and he seemed interested, but needed a push, saying if he knew there was a demand he would be in. So next time you're in there ask for us...beers on me!

> >

> > Well ****, I was just in there yesterday. Any time I'm in I'll be sure to ask. Either store?

>

> Yeah either store is fine. I only deal with Bloomfield store, but I don't want anyone to go out of there way.

>

> Also, if anyone wants to borrow a putter for a week or two just to try for fun I'd be happy to get one in your hands. No sales pitch, I just want to get feedback.

I will probably take you up on that sometime. I love putters haha

Quick question, any one play the Natural up in Gaylord in the past few years? Need an arrival round for our buddies trip in May that's near Gaylord as we like to snag dinner there and hit up Wally World before making our way to BOYNE to check in. Last year we did the Loon and weren't super impressed with it but it wasn't bad. The two year's before we did Otsego and while I know ownership has changed, I'm not very pumped to go back there again. The other options were Harbor Pointe or Gaylord CC but we got the best deal on the Natural and I've heard good things so that's what we were going with unless anyone has any horror stories/advice otherwise?

> @timbo08 said:

> Quick question, any one play the Natural up in Gaylord in the past few years? Need an arrival round for our buddies trip in May that's near Gaylord as we like to snag dinner there and hit up Wally World before making our way to BOYNE to check in. Last year we did the Loon and weren't super impressed with it but it wasn't bad. The two year's before we did Otsego and while I know ownership has changed, I'm not very pumped to go back there again. The other options were Harbor Pointe or Gaylord CC but we got the best deal on the Natural and I've heard good things so that's what we were going with unless anyone has any horror stories/advice otherwise?

It's a short course that plays thorugh the woods on most of the holes. It's not one I'd go out of my way to play, but it's generally in decent shape. Around Gaylord, given the problems there have been in recent years at Otsego Club and Black Forest/Wilderness Valley, Michaywe is my top recommendation. You might want to consider the Alpine at Boyne Mountain (they might also cut you a deal if you already have a package at the Highlands) or Little Traverse Bay.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

> @"3 Jack Par" said:

> > @timbo08 said:

> > Quick question, any one play the Natural up in Gaylord in the past few years? Need an arrival round for our buddies trip in May that's near Gaylord as we like to snag dinner there and hit up Wally World before making our way to BOYNE to check in. Last year we did the Loon and weren't super impressed with it but it wasn't bad. The two year's before we did Otsego and while I know ownership has changed, I'm not very pumped to go back there again. The other options were Harbor Pointe or Gaylord CC but we got the best deal on the Natural and I've heard good things so that's what we were going with unless anyone has any horror stories/advice otherwise?

>

> It's a short course that plays thorugh the woods on most of the holes. It's not one I'd go out of my way to play, but it's generally in decent shape. Around Gaylord, given the problems there have been in recent years at Otsego Club and Black Forest/Wilderness Valley, Michaywe is my top recommendation. You might want to consider the Alpine at Boyne Mountain (they might also cut you a deal if you already have a package at the Highlands) or Little Traverse Bay.

Thanks! We have a tee time at the Ross right now but some of the guys don't like it because it's hard in their minds, and they didn't want to drive to the Mountain to play either the Alpine or Monument so we were kind of looking for something on the cheaper side since and I quote "$47.70 is too much for the Ross". Needless to say we got the Natural for $29 but it's just so damn hard to please everyone. I thought about Michaywe and LTB too as those were my choices.