2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Over-proliferation of "Boutique" Putter Shops?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just how much money can you make opening one of these custom putter shops? My daughter has a bedazzler somewhere in her closet. I think I could ramp up production pretty quick.

Obviously this is a joke, but it did trigger a parallel thought pattern for me about watches. A lot of people don't know that the popularity of the extra expensive Swiss watch was a result of religious reform (Calvinism) that limited the amount of jewelry a man could wear (sumptuary laws). In essence the rich took to a "bedazzled" look of encrusting the bezels and bands in rare stones in order to show off their wealth due to the fact that the number of necklaces and rings were limited by these sumptuary laws. Decent article here for those so inclined:

https://monochrome-watches.com/john-calvins-austerity-and-the-birth-of-the-swiss-watch-industry/

Most of the historians I really respect pay homage to the Puritanical roots of American history. It's easy to believe this doesn't influence our culture, but having grown up in a very WASPY suburb I would say that some of this still effects our tastes. Most of the golfers' ilk aren't going to wear multiple gold chains, rings, or flashy clothing. So, the "bedazzled" putter and the luxury automobile, Rolex watch, and expensive club membership, etc. has to suffice. It's a matter of taste. It's not that they can't afford jewelry, they just spend that money on a Tyson Lamb ball marker :)

Just how much money can you make opening one of these custom putter shops? My daughter has a bedazzler somewhere in her closet. I think I could ramp up production pretty quick.

Obviously this is a joke, but it did trigger a parallel thought pattern for me about watches. A lot of people don't know that the popularity of the extra expensive Swiss watch was a result of religious reform (Calvinism) that limited the amount of jewelry a man could wear (sumptuary laws). In essence the rich took to a "bedazzled" look of encrusting the bezels and bands in rare stones in order to show off their wealth due to the fact that the number of necklaces and rings were limited by these sumptuary laws. Decent article here for those so inclined:

https://monochrome-watches.com/john-calvins-austerity-and-the-birth-of-the-swiss-watch-industry/

Most of the historians I really respect pay homage to the Puritanical roots of American history. It's easy to believe this doesn't influence our culture, but having grown up in a very WASPY suburb I would say that some of this still effects our tastes. Most of the golfers' ilk aren't going to wear multiple gold chains, rings, or flashy clothing. So, the "bedazzled" putter and the luxury automobile, Rolex watch, and expensive club membership, etc. has to suffice. It's a matter of taste. It's not that they can't afford jewelry, they just spend that money on a Tyson Lamb ball marker :)

So Lefty, sounds like you are a potential business partner. We should select company vehicles first. I’m thinking matching 1971 Ford Pintos. Nothing too flashy. What’s your favorite color?

https://monochrome-w...watch-industry/

So Lefty, sounds like you are a potential business partner. We should select company vehicles first. I’m thinking matching 1971 Ford Pintos. Nothing too flashy. What’s your favorite color?

Always liked the yellow in the Pinto.

First order of business, we gotta drive these guys out... they must be the cheapest looking bedazzled putter on the market. That's our niche...

https://www.americanputtercompany.com/

As someone who's in the market to purchase a basic custom putter, I'm actually struggling because of the many options. I made an attempt with one company and after several months of no progress had to get my deposit refunded. Every time I see something I like I find out that they're having similar issues with not delivering product or responding to people. Others aren't open to new orders. Others just aren't reputable companies that I'd like to trust. Some only offer static set of heads and their customization is only finish and/or stamping. Etc. The few prominent makers that I know I could trust are mostly out of budget for what I'm looking to spend for a very generic build.

Maybe it's just my scenario, but it puts me at a loss of when and where I may ever find the right company that fits what I'm looking for.

As someone who's in the market to purchase a basic custom putter, I'm actually struggling because of the many options. I made an attempt with one company and after several months of no progress had to get my deposit refunded. Every time I see something I like I find out that they're having similar issues with not delivering product or responding to people. Others aren't open to new orders. Others just aren't reputable companies that I'd like to trust. Some only offer static set of heads and their customization is only finish and/or stamping. Etc. The few prominent makers that I know I could trust are mostly out of budget for what I'm looking to spend for a very generic build.

Maybe it's just my scenario, but it puts me at a loss of when and where I may ever find the right company that fits what I'm looking for.

It's interesting that you describe your project as a "very generic build" but eschew a "static set of heads." If you want a custom head milled for you I don't think you can describe that as "generic." Maybe take a peak into the "who mills Byron Morgan's heads" thread. Perhaps a guy milling your putter with a bridgeport is a "true custom" but generally I think a "custom" putter means you chose the neck (by which the toe hang), weight, lie, loft, finish, sight aids and any other stampings / engravings. A custom milled head is pretty rare these days and trying to get in under a small budget sounds like a pipe dream.

Fair enough, I'm probably just not describing it right. What I'm looking for is more a custom neck (heel shafted with zero offset) not a custom milled head. So when I refer to a generic build, I meant the head itself would be whatever standard Anser style head they offer with minimal customization of the head itself. When I said static heads I was referring to some sites that have predetermined head/neck combinations so those are automatically off the table if you don't want a plumbers neck, etc..

I'm not naive, I know a custom putter is going to be expensive, but I need it to be reasonably so.

I know there's plenty of companies that could do it, but I've been having a hard time (with all the options) trying to sift through who's legit, whose within budget, who actually responds to messages, etc. Just an overwhelming endeavor thus far (for me).

Fair enough, I'm probably just not describing it right. What I'm looking for is more a custom neck (heel shafted with zero offset) not a custom milled head. So when I refer to a generic build, I meant the head itself would be whatever standard Anser style head they offer with minimal customization of the head itself. When I said static heads I was referring to some sites that have predetermined head/neck combinations so those are automatically off the table if you don't want a plumbers neck, etc..

I'm not naive, I know a custom putter is going to be expensive, but I need it to be reasonably so.

I know there's plenty of companies that could do it, but I've been having a hard time (with all the options) trying to sift through who's legit, whose within budget, who actually responds to messages, etc. Just an overwhelming endeavor thus far (for me).

This sounds right up lajosi’s alley. With the American dollar strong against the Australian dollar, his prices are very reasonable for what you get. Just takes time for correspondence being he’s on the opposite side of the world.

Lajosi would be a good one to ask. Some stuff like that seems pretty simple, but a real machinist would feel that it needed to be jigged properly and might or might not want to build a jig for a "one off" job. Some of these guys are so used to being beat up by customers that they don't want to quote a weird build because they don't think you'll bite.

Have you reached out to Lumpy at Xenon? I'd guess he'd do it although I don't know what he'd charge.

• 3 months later...

It’s getting a bit crowded for sure. If you think about it they have to make an anser head to pass the smell test, it seems like if you can make a sick looking anser, it’s almost like a benchmark or right of passage. I like these guys at carbon, like you said they are doing more than just putting out anser look a like and getting something new to look at

327-DCA42-AB47-4584-BC52-15-C3-E97-FD0-D5.jpg

online dice rollers

I recently ordered a custom Carbon. I'm sure there's a thread about it somewhere if you are so inclined.

It's a tough gig that's for sure. Any time you enter a "fun" industry you're going to face a bunch of competition. I think a lot of these "boutique" guys think it will be fun to follow their passion using some machining and artistry to make one offs for a well-heeled clientele. But, the truth is often that they suffer due to small margins, difficulties running the business side of the business, and the fact that profit margins are fixed to efficiency in use of labor typically the owner's own time.

The market will clearly correct and many of these guys will be gone in 5-10 years. I think there's a lot of respect out there for the guys that stick around because I guarantee you it's not easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Just because something is boutique doesn't mean it is unique. Maybe everybody wants an Anser 2 with custom stamping and that's what is in demand. I toyed with the idea of getting getting a cheap mill from habor freight and grinding down my own putter. I decided it wasn't worth a finger to make my own putter so I applaud anyone who has went through the effort of building something on there own. If I had access to equipment to safely build my own putter I would definitely try and I can't find fault in someone else trying.

• 1 month later...

The amount of putter start-up companies is almost on a craft-beer level at this point. Seriously, you can only slice the pie so many ways before it's all gone, and many of these entrepeneurs are going to fall short, I'm afraid. If I was in the beginning stages, myself right now, without much notoriety, I'd likely change my mind and pursue another quest. Just my opinion

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick