2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

My 699's arrived the other day. After getting Prosoft inserts and grips installed (ordered in box), I was able to get out to the range with them today. The KBS Tour V 90's are gonna take getting used to, but my overall impression was good. I'm going through some swing changes and struggling not to come over the top. I found it hard to find the club face today. Lots of shots off the chrome at the end of the grooves on the toe. Once I slowed down and stopped over swinging (elbow break-down at the top) by making what felt like a 3/4 swing, I started finding the face. They have more of a high-pitched sound (range balls) than I'm used to, and a little more offset and thicker top line than I would like, none of which I won't be able to get past.

When I found the middle of the club face, they seemed to perform well. Distance-wise, I have no clue. I had them weakened (4-P) to 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, and 45º. The markers on the range are not set up accurately and range balls are notoriously lacking in distance, so I tried to focus on direction and contact. I'll worry about distances once I can get onto grass. I hope to get out onto the course on Friday, weather permitting.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

> @Cruisin1966 said:

> Mine arrived the other day. After getting Prosoft inserts and grips installed (ordered in box), I was able to get out to the range with them today. The KBS Tour V 90's are gonna take getting used to, but my overall impression was good. I'm going through some swing changes and struggling not to come over the top. I found it hard to find the club face today. Lots of shots off the chrome at the end of the grooves on the toe. Once I slowed down and stopped over swinging (elbow break-down at the top) by making what felt like a 3/4 swing, I started finding the face. They have more of a high-pitched sound (range balls) than I'm used to, and a little more offset and thicker top line than I would like, none of which I won't be able to get past.

>

> When I found the middle of the club face, they seemed to perform well. Distance-wise, I have no clue. I had them weakened (4-P) to 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, and 45º. The markers on the range are not set up accurately and range balls are notoriously lacking in distance, so I tried to focus on direction and contact. I'll worry about distances once I can get onto grass. I hope to get out onto the course on Friday, weather permitting.

Nice. This is for the CBs right? Real golf balls and turf conditions will definitely be a good test.

> @Armour248 said:

> > @Cruisin1966 said:

> > Mine arrived the other day. After getting Prosoft inserts and grips installed (ordered in box), I was able to get out to the range with them today. The KBS Tour V 90's are gonna take getting used to, but my overall impression was good. I'm going through some swing changes and struggling not to come over the top. I found it hard to find the club face today. Lots of shots off the chrome at the end of the grooves on the toe. Once I slowed down and stopped over swinging (elbow break-down at the top) by making what felt like a 3/4 swing, I started finding the face. They have more of a high-pitched sound (range balls) than I'm used to, and a little more offset and thicker top line than I would like, none of which I won't be able to get past.

> >

> > When I found the middle of the club face, they seemed to perform well. Distance-wise, I have no clue. I had them weakened (4-P) to 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, and 45º. The markers on the range are not set up accurately and range balls are notoriously lacking in distance, so I tried to focus on direction and contact. I'll worry about distances once I can get onto grass. I hope to get out onto the course on Friday, weather permitting.

>

> Nice. This is for the CBs right? Real golf balls and turf conditions will definitely be a good test.

No, not the CB's. For the 699's. I'll edit my post to make it clear

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

> @Armour248 said:

> > @LowDime said:

> > I like the idea for sure. The price point for a 3-pw cb iron set with a shaft i play and my grip choice was close to 900 bucks though. So that is kinda tough for sure.

>

> I have to assume the apples-to-apples comparison would be $1400 or so from most OEMs though right?

>

That is probably a pretty accurate estimate on them yes. Unless you can get a deal on them

> @Armour248 said:

> > @Cruisin1966 said:

> > No, not the CB's. For the 699's. I'll edit my post to make it clear

>

> Ah I was thinking it was the CBs based on the lofts you described. It looks like the listed lofts for the 699s are 21.5, 24, 27, 31, 35, 40, 45.

You are correct. I had the lofts adjusted to the list I gave. If they're too strong it's more difficult to fill the bottom of the bag for me

> @Cruisin1966 said:

> > @Armour248 said:

> > > @Cruisin1966 said:

> > > No, not the CB's. For the 699's. I'll edit my post to make it clear

> >

> > Ah I was thinking it was the CBs based on the lofts you described. It looks like the listed lofts for the 699s are 21.5, 24, 27, 31, 35, 40, 45.

>

> You are correct. I had the lofts adjusted to the list I gave. If they're too strong it's more difficult to fill the bottom of the bag for me

That makes sense. I heard they may be working on a "pro" version of the 699 that would have a thinner top line...but it's early in the process and if it does end up going to production it wouldn't be available until 2020. Same technology just a bit more of a players look from a top line and offset standpoint I think.

> @Armour248 said:

> > @Cruisin1966 said:

> > > @Armour248 said:

> > > > @Cruisin1966 said:

> > > > No, not the CB's. For the 699's. I'll edit my post to make it clear

> > >

> > > Ah I was thinking it was the CBs based on the lofts you described. It looks like the listed lofts for the 699s are 21.5, 24, 27, 31, 35, 40, 45.

> >

> > You are correct. I had the lofts adjusted to the list I gave. If they're too strong it's more difficult to fill the bottom of the bag for me

>

> That makes sense. I heard they may be working on a "pro" version of the 699 that would have a thinner top line...but it's early in the process and if it does end up going to production it wouldn't be available until 2020. Same technology just a bit more of a players look from a top line and offset standpoint I think.

I'd be interested in that, for sure.

> @Cruisin1966 said:

> > @Armour248 said:

> > > @Cruisin1966 said:

> > > > @Armour248 said:

> > > > > @Cruisin1966 said:

> > > > > No, not the CB's. For the 699's. I'll edit my post to make it clear

> > > >

> > > > Ah I was thinking it was the CBs based on the lofts you described. It looks like the listed lofts for the 699s are 21.5, 24, 27, 31, 35, 40, 45.

> > >

> > > You are correct. I had the lofts adjusted to the list I gave. If they're too strong it's more difficult to fill the bottom of the bag for me

> >

> > That makes sense. I heard they may be working on a "pro" version of the 699 that would have a thinner top line...but it's early in the process and if it does end up going to production it wouldn't be available until 2020. Same technology just a bit more of a players look from a top line and offset standpoint I think.

>

> I'd be interested in that, for sure.

Same here, I would buy those

Titleist '23 T200 5-G / T350 4 Iron
Taylormade MG3 52 /56 & 60 TW

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 3 Wood Smoke Black

Taylormade Stealth+ 2 Driver Diamana ZF 60

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12.5

Titleist ProV1X Left Dash

Titleist Linkmaster

• 2 weeks later...

> @"T.B." said:

> I am interested in this company. the clubs look great and the shaft options aren't that bad even with the slight price increase. Looking forward the demo them

They can get you shafts that aren't listed on the site as well. Right now the irons/wedges are parallel shafts only so that's the only real limitation

• 2 months later...

> @Thats_OB said:

> Any updates from the owners in this thread?

I'm still checking in from time to time. I don't want to be spammy or anything though so I'm really only responding to any questions that come up. Our MB and MB+ irons just got added. 699 irons are back in stock and the 639 CB irons should be back in stock in two weeks or so. Things are going well and we think people are starting to understand we aren't some gimmick or cheap golf club brand. At the end of the day we think the stuff performs similar to anything else out there and we're having a ton of fun working with other passionate golfers. If you have any questions just let us know

oqsn55zasizj.jpg

utwmuxf1wdpz.jpg

7wh2jmc7f16z.jpg

The blades finally came in 2 weeks ago and I love them! To have an entire set for under $700 is incredible..... and these play better than my old p770's. For a blade these are actually forgiving and very easy to hit. Very accurate also. Limited play with them so far but they are quite easy to work either direction and flight lower if needed, which obviously is a key point to blades.

I had Srixon z965s for some of last year and id put them on the same level in terms of feel and control. Customer service with Sub70 is top notch and they put out amazing product. These irons will be in my bag for a long time

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

> @"T.B." said:

> I am interested in this company. the clubs look great and the shaft options aren't that bad even with the slight price increase. Looking forward the demo them

They certainly are getting a lot of good reviews. Just know that, if you decide to order a demo club or clubs, then you will need to speak with a Sub70 rep before you can return them. Most people have no issue with that, some do.

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

> @nlk10010 said:

> > @"T.B." said:

> > I am interested in this company. the clubs look great and the shaft options aren't that bad even with the slight price increase. Looking forward the demo them

>

> They certainly are getting a lot of good reviews. Just know that, if you decide to order a demo club or clubs, then you will need to speak with a Sub70 rep before you can return them. Most people have no issue with that, some do.

That is true, primarily because they have to send the paid return label to you. It's not a very "salesy" conversation. It's more just to ask for any possible feedback and making sure the return label gets sent over.

> @Armour248 said:

> > @nlk10010 said:

> > > @"T.B." said:

> > > I am interested in this company. the clubs look great and the shaft options aren't that bad even with the slight price increase. Looking forward the demo them

> >

> > They certainly are getting a lot of good reviews. Just know that, if you decide to order a demo club or clubs, then you will need to speak with a Sub70 rep before you can return them. Most people have no issue with that, some do.

>

> That is true, primarily because they have to send the paid return label to you. It's not a very "salesy" conversation. It's more just to ask for any possible feedback and making sure the return label gets sent over.

Well, no, Ben Hogan and TourEdge manage quite nicely to send the return label without insisting on talking to you. Whether it's a Warrior-type call or simply an informal inquiry I have no way of knowing, but I'll take your word for it that it's benign.

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

I just demoed their 739 GI iron. It was really solid. I’ve demoed most every GI the past few months and they held their own with any of them. I had my choices down to 2 but with these costing about half what I was planning on spending and similar performance I am going to give these a try.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

> @nlk10010 said:

> > @Armour248 said:

> > > @nlk10010 said:

> > > > @"T.B." said:

> > > > I am interested in this company. the clubs look great and the shaft options aren't that bad even with the slight price increase. Looking forward the demo them

> > >

> > > They certainly are getting a lot of good reviews. Just know that, if you decide to order a demo club or clubs, then you will need to speak with a Sub70 rep before you can return them. Most people have no issue with that, some do.

> >

> > That is true, primarily because they have to send the paid return label to you. It's not a very "salesy" conversation. It's more just to ask for any possible feedback and making sure the return label gets sent over.

>

> Well, no, Ben Hogan and TourEdge manage quite nicely to send the return label without insisting on talking to you. Whether it's a Warrior-type call or simply an informal inquiry I have no way of knowing, but I'll take your word for it that it's benign.

Yeah that makes sense. I think part of the issue is that there isn't necessarily a hard cap on how long people can hold onto the demos...so part of the call is "have you had enough time to hit them"...and if the return label gets sent out and then not used then it can expire. I'm sure you can request a return label through email or social media as well. It's all very laid back

• 1 month later...

More people should give Sub 70 a look. I bought a set of irons from them a little over a month ago and they were great to deal with. I went to their facility to be fitted. I met a few of the employees including the owner Jason who did my fitting and they are very passionate about what they are doing. While I was doing my fitting Jason had to step out a couple of times so I took a look at some of their clubs lined up against the wall. It was all quality stuff and sharp looking. Unfortunately I haven’t had much of chance to use my new irons because of eye surgery but results the first couple were very positive.

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

> @Markrip said:

> More people should give Sub 70 a look. I bought a set of irons from them a little over a month ago and they were great to deal with. I went to their facility to be fitted. I met a few of the employees including the owner Jason who did my fitting and they are very passionate about what they are doing. While I was doing my fitting Jason had to step out a couple of times so I took a look at some of their clubs lined up against the wall. It was all quality stuff and sharp looking. Unfortunately I haven’t had much of chance to use my new irons because of eye surgery but results the first couple were very positive.

Which model did you go with?

I bought the 739s. It’s their GI iron. They’re best for my skill level. I did hit a few with their 639 CB. They felt great great and I actually hit them okay but a smaller head freaks me out.

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW