Could you please recommend good Junior instructors in Houston?

My daughter is 8 years old, and has played about one year. She drives the ball around 110 yards now. I taught her myself, but I am not a very good player.

She became really interested in golf now, and wants to learn more. Could you please recommend some good Junior instructor in Houston? We live in Katy area. Thanks!

Very hard to find a good instructor with tournament experience when you start out. The list golfingdawg gave you is a good start. Do your own internet searches. Just make sure the instructor you have has either a certification like PGA or TPI or is a former player that played a few times at very high level (eg pga tour, D1 college , etc) . The US Kids certification is ok because it means they work with kids but I wouldn't use is as the sole reason to go to a guy.

Check the internet for their tournament scores and verify the certifications. Some guys just work under a PGA certified pro if there name are not listed they are not certified. You are looking for a class A PGA pro to direct the teaching. You would be surprised by the number of junior coaches who have no certifications, Never played at a high level and have a hard time breaking 90. Let those guys teach 50 year olds with back problems.

Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

- tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

- Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

- For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

> @fallbrookgolf said:

> Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

>

> A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

>

> mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

With respect to teaching being a Class A is meaningless. Class A is simply a full member rather than an apprentice. A ton of the top teachers have no PGA affiliation and that number is growing.

> @fallbrookgolf said:

> Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

>

> A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

>

> mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

Class A just means they completed training from the PGA. They have to pass a test on their paying ability. It's good thing to have if they don't have proof they played at a high level.

With Girls or Boys it doesn't really matter if the are female or male. With girls sometimes they like taking lessons from women but that is a personal thing in my opinion. Interaction with the instructor is what is important.

Have no clue about Deb Vangellow. Does she have videos online? Have your daughter watch them and see if she can follow them. You can also call and ask if she works with juniors.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> >

> > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> >

> > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

>

>

> Class A just means they completed training from the PGA. They have to pass a test on their paying ability. It's good thing to have if they don't have proof they played at a high level.

>

>

> With Girls or Boys it doesn't really matter if the are female or male. With girls sometimes they like taking lessons from women but that is a personal thing in my opinion. Interaction with the instructor is what is important.

>

> Have no clue about Deb Vangellow. Does she have videos online? Have your daughter watch them and see if she can follow them. You can also call and ask if she works with juniors.

What does playing at a high level have to do with being able to teach? I know a lot of football, basketball, and golf coaches that played at a high level that can't teach proper fundamentals of the game. John Wooden is arguably the best college basketball coach of all time and never played the game. You think Bill Bellicheck played the game at a high level? He is talking about selecting a coach for a young kid so he doesn't have to do it anymore. Playing ability has nothing to do with it.

I know Class A Professionals that are crap and I know guys with out a PGA teaching card that are fantastic.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. We actually took a few lessons from class A pro, but I felt that the pro cared more about finishing the lesson on time, and collect money. I could not feel that the pro cared about any long term development.

I wish Dan is close by, and I can just go to him. One crazy idea, can I just use Dan's online lesson now, instead of finding a local pro?

Most people here don't recommend lesson before 12. But I feel that I am not good enough to keep my kid on the right track.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> > >

> > > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> > >

> > > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

> >

> >

> > Class A just means they completed training from the PGA. They have to pass a test on their paying ability. It's good thing to have if they don't have proof they played at a high level.

> >

> >

> > With Girls or Boys it doesn't really matter if the are female or male. With girls sometimes they like taking lessons from women but that is a personal thing in my opinion. Interaction with the instructor is what is important.

> >

> > Have no clue about Deb Vangellow. Does she have videos online? Have your daughter watch them and see if she can follow them. You can also call and ask if she works with juniors.

>

> What does playing at a high level have to do with being able to teach? I know a lot of football, basketball, and golf coaches that played at a high level that can't teach proper fundamentals of the game. John Wooden is arguably the best college basketball coach of all time and never played the game. You think Bill Bellicheck played the game at a high level? He is talking about selecting a coach for a young kid so he doesn't have to do it anymore. Playing ability has nothing to do with it.

>

> I know Class A Professionals that are **** and I know guys with our a PGA teaching card that are fantastic.

>

>

If you picking a random person off the street It means a lot. Plenty of bad coaches out there too.

I know you know who Don Law is. For a random kid who needs a coach he is and his academy is very good. Don is PGA pro and I pretty sure passed the PAT test. He a perfect example of what type of instructor you should look for if you have a junior who you want to take lessons and just starting out. I can't say enough good things about his school too.

Would you send your kid to a school without teaching accreditation? If someone is charging people to take lessons is this too much to ask for? At the very least I would think they at least played at a high level of amateur golf. Can someone be successful and not have that sure of course they can but usually those guys have a track record.

> @fallbrookgolf said:

> Thanks again for everyone's feedback. We actually took a few lessons from class A pro, but I felt that the pro cared more about finishing the lesson on time, and collect money. I could not feel that the pro cared about any long term development.

>

> I wish Dan is close by, and I can just go to him. One crazy idea, can I just use Dan's online lesson now, instead of finding a local pro?

>

> Most people here don't recommend lesson before 12. But I feel that I am not good enough to keep my kid on the right track.

You had a bad pro. This why you have to find someone who works with juniors.

Don't do online lessons. If you're really uncomfortable with private lessons do group lessons. Usually instructors who offer group lessons have programs that make it easier for you kid to practice and learn golf. These are the best instructors for juniors some them have very affordable practice times and include play time for not much money.

Also the long term development part is your job. A good instructor will give you advice but most of them will not be able to see your kid enough to really guide them every step of the way.

Here’s my 2 cents for that age in Houston. Jim Murphy used to have a junior clinic on Sundays at Sugar Creek from about 2-3pm. It was a walk up that cost around $30. I thought it was good for my son when he was younger. Jim is a good guy. Neil Wilkins will teach some young kids, he’s at Sienna Plantation and very good. I would expect that the clinics and instructors at Mike McGetrick’s location at Golf Club of Houston are very good. I don’t know Deb, but I understand she is highly regarded. Also, Max Garrett has an indoor facility at SmartGolf near dairy ashford and I-10 and teaches a lot of junior golfers. I think Max is very good too.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> >

> > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> >

> > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

>

>

> With respect to teaching being a Class A is meaningless. Class A is simply a full member rather than an apprentice. A ton of the top teachers have no PGA affiliation and that number is growing.

This is pure B.S. most teachers and golf courses have PGA affiliation for a good reason.The only instructors I have ever said it was meaningless don't have PGA certification.

The top teachers who don't usually played at a very high level which is not the same as random guy who decides he can teach golf.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> > >

> > > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> > >

> > > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

> >

> >

> > With respect to teaching being a Class A is meaningless. Class A is simply a full member rather than an apprentice. A ton of the top teachers have no PGA affiliation and that number is growing.

>

> This is pure B.S. most teachers and golf courses have PGA affiliation for a good reason.The only instructors I have ever said it was meaningless don't have PGA certification.

>

> The top teachers who don't usually played at a very high level which is not the same as random guy who decides he can teach golf.

You’re right what would I know? Who said anything about a random guy? Fact is good number of the top teachers are not PGA affiliated, especially the younger ones.

You’re confusing club pros and teaching pros. The PGA literally offers zero value for a good teaching pro. Plenty of PGA pros will acknowledge it’s worthless, especially if you’re only job is teaching. But please tell me how you know more about the golf instruction industry than me.

Btw I worked for and teach multiple PGA pros who were on National Board and one who was nearly PGA President. They didn’t care one bit that I’m not a PGA member, in facts it’s never been an issue at any point of my career

> @iteachgolf said:

>

>

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > > > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> > > >

> > > > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > > > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > > > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > > > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> > > >

> > > > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

> > >

> > >

> > > With respect to teaching being a Class A is meaningless. Class A is simply a full member rather than an apprentice. A ton of the top teachers have no PGA affiliation and that number is growing.

> >

> > This is pure B.S. most teachers and golf courses have PGA affiliation for a good reason.The only instructors I have ever said it was meaningless don't have PGA certification.

> >

> > The top teachers who don't usually played at a very high level which is not the same as random guy who decides he can teach golf.

>

>

> You’re right what would I know? Who said anything about a random guy? Fact is good number of the top teachers are not PGA affiliated, especially the younger ones.

>

> You’re confusing club pros and teaching pros. The PGA literally offers zero value for a good teaching pro. Plenty of PGA pros will acknowledge it’s worthless, especially if you’re only job is teaching. But please tell me how you know more about the golf instruction industry than me.

>

>

> Btw I worked for and teach multiple PGA pros who were on National Board and one who was nearly PGA President. They didn’t care one bit that I’m not a PGA member, in facts it’s never been an issue at any point of my career

A someone who pay for lessons I have a huge issue with guys who can not score low and then claim they can teach kids to score low. Tell me why as a paying customers I should chose someone who has no level of PGA certification vs someone who actually has it or played in at a very high level especially when it the same price?

The reason I say this is because I had the bad luck of finding a bad teacher who basically was just a guy who made a business card. Total scam since I found he couldn't break 90 either. Lots of bad teachers out there.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> >

> >

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > > > > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> > > > >

> > > > > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > > > > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > > > > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > > > > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> > > > >

> > > > > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > With respect to teaching being a Class A is meaningless. Class A is simply a full member rather than an apprentice. A ton of the top teachers have no PGA affiliation and that number is growing.

> > >

> > > This is pure B.S. most teachers and golf courses have PGA affiliation for a good reason.The only instructors I have ever said it was meaningless don't have PGA certification.

> > >

> > > The top teachers who don't usually played at a very high level which is not the same as random guy who decides he can teach golf.

> >

> >

> > You’re right what would I know? Who said anything about a random guy? Fact is good number of the top teachers are not PGA affiliated, especially the younger ones.

> >

> > You’re confusing club pros and teaching pros. The PGA literally offers zero value for a good teaching pro. Plenty of PGA pros will acknowledge it’s worthless, especially if you’re only job is teaching. But please tell me how you know more about the golf instruction industry than me.

> >

> >

> > Btw I worked for and teach multiple PGA pros who were on National Board and one who was nearly PGA President. They didn’t care one bit that I’m not a PGA member, in facts it’s never been an issue at any point of my career

>

> A someone who pay for lessons I have a huge issue with guys who can not score low and then claim they can teach kids to score low. Tell me why as a paying customers I should chose someone who has no level of PGA certification vs someone who actually has it or played in at a very high level especially when it the same price?

>

> The reason I say this is because I had the bad luck of finding a bad teacher who basically was just a guy who made a business card. Totally scam he couldn't break 90 either.

>

Bad teachers are everywhere. Why do you assume that a guy who isn’t PGA can’t break 90? That’s one of the most ignorant things I’ve heard. Again the PGA does nothing for teaching, even worse 15-30 years ago. Judging how good a teacher is based on PGA Status is about as relevant as judging a teacher based on eye color.

You’re trying to base an entire industry off of one experience you had. I can name hundreds of PGA members who shouldn’t be allowed to teach, and you don’t have to be able to teach to be a Class A. It’s just as likely the horrible teacher you had could of had a PGA logo on that business card. You not doing research is your own fault.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > > > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> > > >

> > > > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > > > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > > > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > > > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> > > >

> > > > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

> > >

> > >

> > > Class A just means they completed training from the PGA. They have to pass a test on their paying ability. It's good thing to have if they don't have proof they played at a high level.

> > >

> > >

> > > With Girls or Boys it doesn't really matter if the are female or male. With girls sometimes they like taking lessons from women but that is a personal thing in my opinion. Interaction with the instructor is what is important.

> > >

> > > Have no clue about Deb Vangellow. Does she have videos online? Have your daughter watch them and see if she can follow them. You can also call and ask if she works with juniors.

> >

> > What does playing at a high level have to do with being able to teach? I know a lot of football, basketball, and golf coaches that played at a high level that can't teach proper fundamentals of the game. John Wooden is arguably the best college basketball coach of all time and never played the game. You think Bill Bellicheck played the game at a high level? He is talking about selecting a coach for a young kid so he doesn't have to do it anymore. Playing ability has nothing to do with it.

> >

> > I know Class A Professionals that are **** and I know guys with our a PGA teaching card that are fantastic.

> >

> >

>

> If you picking a random person off the street It means a lot. Plenty of bad coaches out there too.

>

> I know you know who Don Law is. For a random kid who needs a coach he is and his academy is very good. Don is PGA pro and I pretty sure passed the PAT test. He a perfect example of what type of instructor you should look for if you have a junior who you want to take lessons and just starting out. I can't say enough good things about his school too.

>

> Would you send your kid to a school without teaching accreditation? If someone is charging people to take lessons is this too much to ask for? At the very least I would think they at least played at a high level of amateur golf. Can someone be successful and not have that sure of course they can but usually those guys have a track record.

An 8 year old that barely knows the game I would send to whoever will teach them.

Don Law isn't for some one new or that young. Don is an acquaintance of mine as well as a couple of guys that run one of his academies.

oh man another typical tiger response where do you get this from?

For an 8 year old anyone who works well with kids is good. You need someone to teach them the basics to get them started teach them to love the game. You asked if male/female matter I think it depends on how the coach relates to your daughter. I have a daughter in that age range and we always had female coaches due to how they have related to her. Class a mean nothing if a matter if they can teach or not. Depending on the skill of your 8 year old most teachers can teach them something new each time. Only thing I will add make sure they work well with juniors as to keep it fun, and stay close but not overstep as you will want to use the same verbiage when guiding your young one along the way. It's Fun and best of luck.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > > > > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> > > > >

> > > > > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > > > > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > > > > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > > > > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> > > > >

> > > > > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Class A just means they completed training from the PGA. They have to pass a test on their paying ability. It's good thing to have if they don't have proof they played at a high level.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > With Girls or Boys it doesn't really matter if the are female or male. With girls sometimes they like taking lessons from women but that is a personal thing in my opinion. Interaction with the instructor is what is important.

> > > >

> > > > Have no clue about Deb Vangellow. Does she have videos online? Have your daughter watch them and see if she can follow them. You can also call and ask if she works with juniors.

> > >

> > > What does playing at a high level have to do with being able to teach? I know a lot of football, basketball, and golf coaches that played at a high level that can't teach proper fundamentals of the game. John Wooden is arguably the best college basketball coach of all time and never played the game. You think Bill Bellicheck played the game at a high level? He is talking about selecting a coach for a young kid so he doesn't have to do it anymore. Playing ability has nothing to do with it.

> > >

> > > I know Class A Professionals that are **** and I know guys with our a PGA teaching card that are fantastic.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > If you picking a random person off the street It means a lot. Plenty of bad coaches out there too.

> >

> > I know you know who Don Law is. For a random kid who needs a coach he is and his academy is very good. Don is PGA pro and I pretty sure passed the PAT test. He a perfect example of what type of instructor you should look for if you have a junior who you want to take lessons and just starting out. I can't say enough good things about his school too.

> >

> > Would you send your kid to a school without teaching accreditation? If someone is charging people to take lessons is this too much to ask for? At the very least I would think they at least played at a high level of amateur golf. Can someone be successful and not have that sure of course they can but usually those guys have a track record.

>

> An 8 year old that barely knows the game I would send to whoever will teach them.

>

> Don Law isn't for some one new or that young. Don is an acquaintance of mine as well as a couple of guys that run one of his academies.

When I said Don Law I meant him or someone under his guidance. Either way he is a example of type of instructor who most people should look for when starting out learning golf. His academy is perfect for kids starting out.

Even if he doesn’t teach your kid personally he is small enough operation and he cares enough to make those who are teaching are doing things correctly.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > > > > > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > > > > > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > > > > > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > > > > > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Class A just means they completed training from the PGA. They have to pass a test on their paying ability. It's good thing to have if they don't have proof they played at a high level.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > With Girls or Boys it doesn't really matter if the are female or male. With girls sometimes they like taking lessons from women but that is a personal thing in my opinion. Interaction with the instructor is what is important.

> > > > >

> > > > > Have no clue about Deb Vangellow. Does she have videos online? Have your daughter watch them and see if she can follow them. You can also call and ask if she works with juniors.

> > > >

> > > > What does playing at a high level have to do with being able to teach? I know a lot of football, basketball, and golf coaches that played at a high level that can't teach proper fundamentals of the game. John Wooden is arguably the best college basketball coach of all time and never played the game. You think Bill Bellicheck played the game at a high level? He is talking about selecting a coach for a young kid so he doesn't have to do it anymore. Playing ability has nothing to do with it.

> > > >

> > > > I know Class A Professionals that are **** and I know guys with our a PGA teaching card that are fantastic.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > If you picking a random person off the street It means a lot. Plenty of bad coaches out there too.

> > >

> > > I know you know who Don Law is. For a random kid who needs a coach he is and his academy is very good. Don is PGA pro and I pretty sure passed the PAT test. He a perfect example of what type of instructor you should look for if you have a junior who you want to take lessons and just starting out. I can't say enough good things about his school too.

> > >

> > > Would you send your kid to a school without teaching accreditation? If someone is charging people to take lessons is this too much to ask for? At the very least I would think they at least played at a high level of amateur golf. Can someone be successful and not have that sure of course they can but usually those guys have a track record.

> >

> > An 8 year old that barely knows the game I would send to whoever will teach them.

> >

> > Don Law isn't for some one new or that young. Don is an acquaintance of mine as well as a couple of guys that run one of his academies.

>

>

> When I said Don Law I meant him or someone under his guidance. Either way he is a example of type of instructor who most people should look for when starting out learning golf. His academy is perfect for kids starting out.

>

> Even if he doesn’t teach your kid personally he is small enough operation and he cares enough to make those who are teaching are doing things correctly.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

You make my head hurt sometimes. There is honestly not one piece of advise you have posted in this thread that I would take.

• Like 1

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > @fallbrookgolf said:

> > > > > > Thank you so much for the comments! This is the first time that I have posted in the forum, even though I have registered for a long time. I have learned a lot from you guys in the last a couple years!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > A few follow up questions, if you don't mind:

> > > > > > - tiger1873, what does class A PGA mean? Does it mean that their golf education and playing ability is better than other PGA member? Sorry if it is a dumb question. I did a search online, but could not find a definite answer.

> > > > > > - Following golfingdawg's advice, I found out Deb Vangellow is not too far from us. Has anyone taken lessons from her?

> > > > > > - For girls, is it important to have a female instructor? I guess not, but want to get some feedback from you.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > mbbrewer, thanks for letting me know your good experience with Tonya. I'd appreciate if others have good experience with other instructors in Houston area.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Class A just means they completed training from the PGA. They have to pass a test on their paying ability. It's good thing to have if they don't have proof they played at a high level.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > With Girls or Boys it doesn't really matter if the are female or male. With girls sometimes they like taking lessons from women but that is a personal thing in my opinion. Interaction with the instructor is what is important.

> > > > >

> > > > > Have no clue about Deb Vangellow. Does she have videos online? Have your daughter watch them and see if she can follow them. You can also call and ask if she works with juniors.

> > > >

> > > > What does playing at a high level have to do with being able to teach? I know a lot of football, basketball, and golf coaches that played at a high level that can't teach proper fundamentals of the game. John Wooden is arguably the best college basketball coach of all time and never played the game. You think Bill Bellicheck played the game at a high level? He is talking about selecting a coach for a young kid so he doesn't have to do it anymore. Playing ability has nothing to do with it.

> > > >

> > > > I know Class A Professionals that are **** and I know guys with our a PGA teaching card that are fantastic.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > If you picking a random person off the street It means a lot. Plenty of bad coaches out there too.

> > >

> > > I know you know who Don Law is. For a random kid who needs a coach he is and his academy is very good. Don is PGA pro and I pretty sure passed the PAT test. He a perfect example of what type of instructor you should look for if you have a junior who you want to take lessons and just starting out. I can't say enough good things about his school too.

> > >

> > > Would you send your kid to a school without teaching accreditation? If someone is charging people to take lessons is this too much to ask for? At the very least I would think they at least played at a high level of amateur golf. Can someone be successful and not have that sure of course they can but usually those guys have a track record.

> >

> > An 8 year old that barely knows the game I would send to whoever will teach them.

> >

> > Don Law isn't for some one new or that young. Don is an acquaintance of mine as well as a couple of guys that run one of his academies.

>

>

> When I said Don Law I meant him or someone under his guidance. Either way he is a example of type of instructor who most people should look for when starting out learning golf. His academy is perfect for kids starting out.

>

> Even if he doesn’t teach your kid personally he is small enough operation and he cares enough to make those who are teaching are doing things correctly.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

[![Everything you've said...](https://i.imgur.com/pj9zyjR.jpg)](

)
  • Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.