Tobacco Road Golf Course

cgm808

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go, go, go.

Last I played it they still had bent greens and they were just in ok shape. I actually asked the super as he was out running around about converting to an ultra-dwarf and he kind of poo-pooed the idea.

Anywho, my take, get a yardage book or look on-line and develop a game plan. Don't let the visual trickery get you. Some of it designed to lull you to sleep and over estimate your abilities, some of it just the opposite, looks hard but plays easy actually. If you are just going to play for fun on a buddies trip my recommendation is play match play. On your first play you are going to end up in the wrong spot a few times. Don't worry about your actual score but I found it to be actually be an easy course to score on. I shot below my handicap pretty significantly. I could see a match play with teams or partners or a scramble being darn fun there.

I am trying to get out to the other Strantz courses. Dude was an artist whose medium was golf courses, not just an architect of courses. TR is unexpected and artistic but very, very playable.

> @balladm said:

> I used to get the Sandhills golf capital card just for the TR rates. I want to say the card was $50 and then it was about $50 to play TR, it may be more these days though. It pays for itself in the first use.

The Capital Card rate is now $75.00. The rack rate on their website is $185. Not worth it in my opinion....

> @TexasTurf said:

> What do you mean just in ok shape regarding the greens? What time of year were you there? Summer or recently?

Back when the greens were still bent, at least 6 years ago IIRC. Like I said, I brought up that I was surprised that they had not converted and he kind of scoffed and said they had never lost the greens in summer. I was there in August (of that year) and the greens were in the kind of shape you expect bent greens in the south to be in August, a little stressed and a little soft. Certainly playable and by far from the worst I had ever played on. You could just tell they had had a bunch of traffic on them.

Now that they are bermuda I bet they are top notch.

I think I payed right around $45 - 18 w/cart during the week several years ago. I didn't know what kind of bargain I was getting.

Ive played TR every May since 2011. Only 1 year would i have said the greens were just in ok shape. Especially now, that they are bermuda. They are in fantastic shape every year.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @smashdn said:

> > @TexasTurf said:

> > What do you mean just in ok shape regarding the greens? What time of year were you there? Summer or recently?

>

> Back when the greens were still bent, at least 6 years ago IIRC. Like I said, I brought up that I was surprised that they had not converted and he kind of scoffed and said they had never lost the greens in summer. I was there in August (of that year) and the greens were in the kind of shape you expect bent greens in the south to be in August, **a little stressed and a little soft. **Certainly playable and by far from the worst I had ever played on. You could just tell they had had a bunch of traffic on them.

>

> Now that they are bermuda I bet they are top notch.

>

That's the reason that so many courses in the area have changed to some of the newer varieties of Bermuda, the bent grass greens required significant water during the hot summer months, so they often got a bit soft, and tended to show the wear in periods of high traffic. The Bermuda greens are much more tolerant of the heat, show very little wear, so can be kept in fast firm condition all year round.

• 3 months later...

I love the course. Played it a dozen times or more but I cannot stand the green complex on 13. Too many times has a shot come up a half club short or long and been lost in the 3 ft grass. It is the one gimmick hole . (maybe 16 too). What do people think? I'd vote for cutting the grass down fairly close to the edges of the green so you have a better chance. Or taking bits of mound out such that there is more fringe.

> @httr said:

> I love the course. Played it a dozen times or more but I cannot stand the green complex on 13. Too many times has a shot come up a half club short or long and been lost in the 3 ft grass. It is the one gimmick hole . (maybe 16 too). What do people think? I'd vote for cutting the grass down fairly close to the edges of the green so you have a better chance. Or taking bits of mound out such that there is more fringe.

13 is a dumb hole. I can handle the mounds in front of the green but then make the green have more depth. 16 isnt too bad. However most times ive played the pin is on the top tier which makes that shot a lot harder.

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

I rather like both of those holes. On 13, you shouldn't have any more than a little flip wedge to the green, I have no problem with a really small target. And you always have the opportunity to hit it through the gap, if you can bring yourself to play away from the flag for safety. And 16, its a lay-up off the tee, another fairly short second, you just have to understand how the elevation difference influences your club selection.

@davep043 @spineshank :: It is a testament to Mike Strantz' design. Even if the course pisses you off for "unfairly" punishing you for a bad short wedge it leaves you coming back and wanting more. There aren't too many other courses that are as memorable and enjoyable to me as Tobacco Road. My mate who is a golf architect aficionado hates 15, but I rather like it. But we can all agree most are spectacular and fun.

> @httr said:

> @davep043 @spineshank :: It is a testament to Mike Strantz' design. Even if the course pisses you off for "unfairly" punishing you for a bad short wedge it leaves you coming back and wanting more. There aren't too many other courses that are as memorable and enjoyable to me as Tobacco Road. My mate who is a golf architect aficionado hates 15, but I rather like it. But we can all agree most are spectacular and fun.

Blind tee shots aren't for everyone, and that one on 15 in particular. The right line depends on the pin position, at least there's a sign near the tee to help you out.

> @davep043 said:

> > @httr said:

> > @davep043 @spineshank :: It is a testament to Mike Strantz' design. Even if the course pisses you off for "unfairly" punishing you for a bad short wedge it leaves you coming back and wanting more. There aren't too many other courses that are as memorable and enjoyable to me as Tobacco Road. My mate who is a golf architect aficionado hates 15, but I rather like it. But we can all agree most are spectacular and fun.

>

> Blind tee shots aren't for everyone, and that one on 15 in particular. The right line depends on the pin position, at least there's a sign near the tee to help you out.

I dont mind 15. I just generally try to hit it over the trees.

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

• 5 months later...

Love it. So many wild holes. It is more visually challenging than tricked up. Most greens have room in front or behind when you have to get to a pin, some exceptions (No. 13).

Strantz often uses templates— cape, punchbowl, redan, double plateau — which is a nice touch.

Get the yardage book if you have never played it. The conservative play often seems to be the right play and he gives you plenty of room to hit to safe spots. The overall yardage is deceiving because there is a lot of elevation.

The flyover animation on their website is insane. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry while watching it.

I think everyone should take a look at this actually....

(Click on "Take The Tour") About Our Golf Course | Tobacco Road Golf Club | Sanford, NC

Also, picking apart their yardage guide is making my brain numb.

Definitely try to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen if you play in the summer. Theres not a lot of cover at all.

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW

Word to the wise, use the TR app on your phone and/or the yardage book they give you. It's a course that definitely requires a few rounds under your belt before you have any idea where you should be aiming. Couple examples:

#4: if you can put your tee ball just next to the corner of the sand area left of fairway (classic cape hole) you can easily get home in two.

#13: a solid 3-wood or driver over the trees on the right makes this an easy two-shot to the green.

#15: way more room right than you can see from tee box, but depending on flag you may have a blind shot into green.

Great course and you will never play anything like it again. Got the chance to spend Memorial Day Weekend there last year and camped on the driving range and played 72+ in 3 days at TR, not including night golf and a par 3 challenge from their "El Camino" tees.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

I have only played it a few times and only had one slow round. The first time I played it was cart path only due to wet conditions. There were several groups ahead of us that had some really older seniors playing and it took forever for them to get around.......6 hour round. Last time I played, the round was like 3.5 hours.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

These are from 2009.... glad I lost a little weight since then, geesh.

VT2TA8KW24IS.jpg

5K40R3X27VZO.jpg

76GGQE2XEQMU.jpg

C00W5CC6TUCQ.jpg

KCYUXNTNEWPM.jpg

LDCEL33AQF5A.jpg

BDS5A1WJQ3ZT.jpg

UUQYQKDIAKYY.jpg

KVQ9R2U80W9N.jpg

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I played it just after Thanksgiving, and I honestly can't remember. I believe the fairways were green, I think it was overseed (not paint), but I can't be sure. It certainly played just fine, firm fairways and great putting surfaces. Based on my recent experience, I'd rather not have overseeded fairways at that time of year, dormant Bermuda seems to play just fine, and the paint gives a nice look.

For anyone who's interested, the most recent issue of the Golfer's Journal has a good article about the beginnings of Tobacco Road, along with some interesting photography:https://www.golfersjournal.com/current-issue/