Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

Signed up a few weeks/a month ago and played Persimmon at Anthem and Seville course in Phoenix.

Enjoyed both rounds and staff and staff were really friendly, along with members I got paired with.

Then played Dinah Shore and Palmer at Mission Hills in Palm Springs, also totally fun.

Dinah much more so than Palmer, but still fun.

Tomorrow, I head to OKC, playing Oak Tree on Friday, Trails of Norman on Sat and The Greens on Sunday.

Weather looks a bit sketchy but better than the snow and rain here in Mn.

Will post reviews next week.

So far, I'm very happy with the Travel membership.

I get a lot out of my travel membership and while attending a conference in Dallas I hit Las Colinas CC, the Tower Club and the La Cima club. Unless you are interesting in dining reviews, if you are let me know, but I will review Las Colinas.

My wife and I had a very nice experience at Las Colinas CC. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by the Pro Shop Staff and everything from the range, lockers, first tees, and etc. was pointed out to us. My wife had to borrow clubs and she was given a set of TaylorMade. This is clearly a nice benefit when you do not feel like traveling with the clubs. And when we returned the clubs they were generally interested in our experience and spent some time chatting with us.

This course is set in a housing development with some holes close to a freeway. I never felt like the houses encroached on the course and they were set back a nice distance. Frankly the first several holes I struggled to get used to the course. It is set upon rolling land with some nice hills. On the first tee I did not pay attention to the way the fairway rolled to the right and ended up in the trees. After a few holes I guess I woke up.

I really like the routing of this course and the way it flows. Never felt like I was playing the same holes or up and back private golf, if you understand. Not a lot of sand on the course but the designer did use trees and water to protect many of the greens. I did feel some of the trees encroached on shots that should not have but maybe I did not understand or pay attention to the strategy of the hole. I did feel like the course was well signed either for where the next hole was or if water was at the end of a fairway. Distances to the water were marked on the tee. Water is prominent on several holes and influences the strategy of playing the hole and missing in the correct spots. But I felt there was always a route around the water if that play made more sense. I think this course suits all levels of players. They even have a family set of tees.

Conditioning. Overall good, not great. I felt some of the tee boxes could have been better and some of the greens were not as smooth as they could be. But then when I was leaving I noticed a sign that they are re-doing the greens and the tee boxes. Good.

I forgot to mention the range. It was very nice with plenty of targets and lots of amenities.

Overall a nice experience for my cart fee!

I played both Canyon Gate and Bear's Best last year. Different experiences; Canyon Gate is private and Bear's Best is public and like a resort course. Therefore Bear's Best can get busy at times and the round may be longer. Pace was decent when I played, but different from Canyon Gate. Bear's Best is a collection of Jack Nicklaus holes, but most of them are desert courses so they fit into the desert. Canyon Gate is still a desert course but is more lush and has some water features. Canyon Gate is inside a gated community. Conditioning was good last year for each.

Frankly I enjoyed both courses and you cannot go wrong. If you have any specific questions send me a message.

• 2 weeks later...

> @Trying4Better said:

> I have played both Wind Watch and Willow Creek. I would argue both courses are in better shape than any of the full private courses I have seen for Club Corp. The layouts are a lot of fun and definitely challenging, but both very different. Go on their site and you'll see why.

>

>

>

> I am not sure of the others, but you cannot go wrong with them. If you do trek to Willow Creek further out on the island, do yourself the favor and drive a bit more and play Montauk State Downs. Its phenomenal and hidden gem for a very inexpensive rate. And, of course there is always Bethpage, another inexpensive but outstanding round.

I’d go WWatch if you had to pick one in LI. 100% agree on Montauk tho. I’d play there over either CC course. Amazing track I decided to play one day while I was in the Hamptons.

Ditto on Mission Hills...tho the Pete Dye challenge course there is the sh!t. Brutal, but so much fun.

Coto do Caza in Orange County is pretty sweet - we prefer south course.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> I played Vista Vallarta (Nicklaus) last month and it was very nice. Good service, good condition, and a great layout.

> The Hills at Lakeway is also a great course.

>

Yes both the Flintrock and Signature courses at The hills of Lakeway are great. Flintrock is one of my favorites.

All three Orange County courses in Southern Cal are good. Old Ranch, Aliso Viejo and Coto de Caza.

* Old Ranch is flat but challenging with water and fast & undulated green. It feels like resort course. located in Seal Beach so perfect for summer golf.

* Aliso Viejo is ok. Fun, hilly but inconsistent greens.

* Coto de Caza is the premier place. RTB designed 36 holes. North is harder than South but both courses will challenge you every bit of your game.

Shadowridge and Bernardo Hills in SD area. IMO, they both are disappointment compared to OC courses. They felt like privatized muni courses. La Costa is a resort but much nicer than those private clubs.

Bear's best is well spoken previously. It is one of my favorite courses in LV.

Lastly, Pinehurst #9. Nicholas designed. I must say good door-opener at Pinehurst. awesome condition in late May.

> @flushem said:

> All three Orange County courses in Southern Cal are good. Old Ranch, Aliso Viejo and Coto de Caza.

> * Old Ranch is flat but challenging with water and fast & undulated green. It feels like resort course. located in Seal Beach so perfect for summer golf.

> * Aliso Viejo is ok. Fun, hilly but inconsistent greens.

> * Coto de Caza is the premier place. RTB designed 36 holes. North is harder than South but both courses will challenge you every bit of your game.

>

> Shadowridge and Bernardo Hills in SD area. IMO, they both are disappointment compared to OC courses. They felt like privatized muni courses. La Costa is a resort but much nicer than those private clubs.

> Bear's best is well spoken previously. It is one of my favorite courses in LV.

> Lastly, Pinehurst #9. Nicholas designed. I must say good door-opener at Pinehurst. awesome condition in late May.

I played Shadowridge and Morgan Run in the SD area. Shadowridge had some great greens but that's where it really ended. it was ok. Morgan Run I did not like at all. I would rather pay to play Aviara again before going back there.

> @defnotapro said:

> > @flushem said:

> > All three Orange County courses in Southern Cal are good. Old Ranch, Aliso Viejo and Coto de Caza.

> > * Old Ranch is flat but challenging with water and fast & undulated green. It feels like resort course. located in Seal Beach so perfect for summer golf.

> > * Aliso Viejo is ok. Fun, hilly but inconsistent greens.

> > * Coto de Caza is the premier place. RTB designed 36 holes. North is harder than South but both courses will challenge you every bit of your game.

> >

> > Shadowridge and Bernardo Hills in SD area. IMO, they both are disappointment compared to OC courses. They felt like privatized muni courses. La Costa is a resort but much nicer than those private clubs.

> > Bear's best is well spoken previously. It is one of my favorite courses in LV.

> > Lastly, Pinehurst #9. Nicholas designed. I must say good door-opener at Pinehurst. awesome condition in late May.

>

> I played Shadowridge and Morgan Run in the SD area. Shadowridge had some great greens but that's where it really ended. it was ok. Morgan Run I did not like at all. I would rather pay to play Aviara again before going back there.

check out www.underpar.com for So Cal deals. sometimes you will find awesome deals. but never like our CCT

So far played South Florida courses. 1) Lago Mar , high quality course , fun to play , great conditions, warm welcome from the staff, 2) Monarch, high quality course, very good conditions , 3) Boca Pointe, toughest to get tee times, good layout, young greens that do not hold the ball, fun layout , 4) Boca Lago , good layout but so so conditions especially greens, 5) PGA national , played squire and enjoyed a lot eventough greens were just all right, welcome sub-par

I am from Tulsa so I get down to Oak Tree often. Love both courses. Pete Dye design and challenging.

I have also played the Oaks course at Golf Trails of the Woodlands and Lake Windcrest. Both were decent designs and not bad for early April. I would say with the exception of a few clubs, most are just mid tier courses. Oak Tee, The Woodlands CC, and other comparables are really what make this membership worth it.

I also used my free meals two nights in a row at the Houston Club and was extremely impressed. They had pictures on the wall of both President Bush and W. Bush there which was really cool!

> @oneunderbogey said:

> Thoughts of Vegas? Bears best vs canyon gate?

Completely different tracks. Canyon Gate is a pretty typical CC private club (IMO). An average course with good conditioning, welcoming friendly staff and, in my 3 rounds, great pace of play compared to daily fee options. If I'm golfing in Vegas, I usually throw this on my schedule as my warm up round.

As mentioned, Bear's Best in semi-private, so you can get caught on pace of play. I have played here twice, and loved it the first time, but the novelty wore off for the second round. With the "best of" design elements, the course does have good flow and feels disjointed. Conditioning has been good when I have been out there, so it's definitely worth checking out once, even if it's to see some of the amazing homes that have been built on the course.

Well I played both bears best and canyon gate this week. I think bears best is the better course but the experience at canyon gate was great. I had pace of play issues at bears best (back 9 took almost 2.5 hrs on a Wednesday afternoon). Cruised around canyon gate in a little over 3 hours.

Bears best greens were just ok. Layout was fun but definitely a little disjointed due to the “best holes” concept. Some real good par 3s though, 4th hole with the black sand and 15? with the elevated tees and views of the strip. 18 and 1 are both nice holes, only ones with water if I remember correctly.

Canyon gate was very well maintained. They had punched greens I’m guessing in the last week or two so that was a little disappointing but it happens. Rest of the course was in great shape and I’m sure the greens will be too soon. Layout was nothing special but enjoyable, 9/18 and the short par 4 on the back were my favorite holes.

Had lunch at canyon gate as well which was good.

Anyone have an experience booking tee times around the holidays? I know the holidays themselves you cannot. Wondering if the days around the holidays are blacked out too. Using most of my vacation time on 3 weeks in Europe in September, so think a golf trip this winter will need to be around one of the holidays. Was thinking Palm Desert. Want to start looking at tickets but am curious if I'd have trouble getting tee times.

Th> @defnotapro said:

> All the courses at Mission Hills were solid, but the Dinah Shore is my favorite Clubcorp course. Indian Wells CC is solid as well. Couple of boring hole before a great finish.

>

>

>

> The Dye Club at Barefoot is solid. Wachesaw Plantation Club was awesome in my opinion. Really enjoyed that course, and it dries up really quick after rain.

>

>

>

> La Costa is also a solid value in San Diego as well as Shadowridge. Did not like Morgan Run at all, on the bottom of my list

>

>

>

> Tuscon National was a steal and Oro Valley is great as well. Solid 3 courses in Tuscon.

>

>

>

> Anthem CC has two great courses. Ironwood overall was better but loved the finishing hole at persimmons.

>

> Seville was solid as well with great greens. Didn't play Gainey Ranch

>

>

>

> Dallas obviously has a hot bed of course. Stonebridge Ranch Dye course is the best. The may be debated now that the have bought TPC Craig Ranch which is solid as well. Gleneagles is great along with stonebriar. Both solid. Trophy club gets overlooked, but the only Hogan designed course is a treat to play. The Clubs of Prestonwood hills course was great.

>

>

>

> You could easily make a great golf trip out of Gleneagles, The trails of Prestonwood, Stonebridge, Stonebriar, and the addition of TPC Craig Ranch. 8 courses within 30 minutes.

>

>

>

> Austin has some sold courses near the lake. The hills of lakeway flintrock will test your game. The signature used to host a champions tour back in the day. Lost Creek won't see me again.

>

>

>

> Houston is another hotbed, and where I play. The golf trails of the woodlands and the woodlands country club are very solid. The clubs of Kingwood island and deerwood (tin cup us open scenes were filmed on deerwood) are solid. Lake Windcrest is one of my favorites. If you are heading to the beach, Magnolia Creek is a solid links course on the way to Galveston. I personally play at Falcon Point and enjoy it. If you hate houses or water stay away, they are everywhere.

>

>

>

> Again, staying in the woodlands you could play Woodlands CC, Trails of the Woodlands, Lake Windcrest, Kingwood country club for a total of 7 rounds and not 30 minutes apart.

>

>

>

> San Antonio has two enjoyable courses at Fair Oaks Ranch. Some elevation change. They go good with TPC San Antonio and La Cantera (only Fair Oaks is clubcorp)

>

>

>

> Couple of New Mexico courses. in Albuquerque The Canyon Club is an old course that has great conditions. It plays and feels like a different era. Picacho Hills is one of my favorites in Las Cruces. Solid course and a lot of fun.

>

>

>

> PGA National, what a steal! Coupled with Lago Mar. TPC Eagle Trace discount is ok. Worn down a bit.

>

>

>

> The Golden Bear Club outside Orlando was awesome. I'll be back to this one. Discount at Celebration was good.

>

>

>

> Plan on visiting a lot more but if you have questions about any of these, especially in Texas I will be glad to answer. I also started a golf blog last year. I won't post it so I won't get in trouble again but you can see it in my profile. Some of these aren't on there as I played them before I started the blog and didn't take the necessary pictures.

Thanks for sharing this information. I travel to the DFW area a few times a year for work and will definitely be taking advantage of the CC ONE benefits.

Out of the 3-4 clubs you recommend, is there one in particular you were impressed with from a dining perspective (e.g. ambiance, food, service)?

Kind regards,

Michael

> @Rodmike10 said:

> Th> @defnotapro said:

> > All the courses at Mission Hills were solid, but the Dinah Shore is my favorite Clubcorp course. Indian Wells CC is solid as well. Couple of boring hole before a great finish.

> >

> >

> >

> > The Dye Club at Barefoot is solid. Wachesaw Plantation Club was awesome in my opinion. Really enjoyed that course, and it dries up really quick after rain.

> >

> >

> >

> > La Costa is also a solid value in San Diego as well as Shadowridge. Did not like Morgan Run at all, on the bottom of my list

> >

> >

> >

> > Tuscon National was a steal and Oro Valley is great as well. Solid 3 courses in Tuscon.

> >

> >

> >

> > Anthem CC has two great courses. Ironwood overall was better but loved the finishing hole at persimmons.

> >

> > Seville was solid as well with great greens. Didn't play Gainey Ranch

> >

> >

> >

> > Dallas obviously has a hot bed of course. Stonebridge Ranch Dye course is the best. The may be debated now that the have bought TPC Craig Ranch which is solid as well. Gleneagles is great along with stonebriar. Both solid. Trophy club gets overlooked, but the only Hogan designed course is a treat to play. The Clubs of Prestonwood hills course was great.

> >

> >

> >

> > You could easily make a great golf trip out of Gleneagles, The trails of Prestonwood, Stonebridge, Stonebriar, and the addition of TPC Craig Ranch. 8 courses within 30 minutes.

> >

> >

> >

> > Austin has some sold courses near the lake. The hills of lakeway flintrock will test your game. The signature used to host a champions tour back in the day. Lost Creek won't see me again.

> >

> >

> >

> > Houston is another hotbed, and where I play. The golf trails of the woodlands and the woodlands country club are very solid. The clubs of Kingwood island and deerwood (tin cup us open scenes were filmed on deerwood) are solid. Lake Windcrest is one of my favorites. If you are heading to the beach, Magnolia Creek is a solid links course on the way to Galveston. I personally play at Falcon Point and enjoy it. If you hate houses or water stay away, they are everywhere.

> >

> >

> >

> > Again, staying in the woodlands you could play Woodlands CC, Trails of the Woodlands, Lake Windcrest, Kingwood country club for a total of 7 rounds and not 30 minutes apart.

> >

> >

> >

> > San Antonio has two enjoyable courses at Fair Oaks Ranch. Some elevation change. They go good with TPC San Antonio and La Cantera (only Fair Oaks is clubcorp)

> >

> >

> >

> > Couple of New Mexico courses. in Albuquerque The Canyon Club is an old course that has great conditions. It plays and feels like a different era. Picacho Hills is one of my favorites in Las Cruces. Solid course and a lot of fun.

> >

> >

> >

> > PGA National, what a steal! Coupled with Lago Mar. TPC Eagle Trace discount is ok. Worn down a bit.

> >

> >

> >

> > The Golden Bear Club outside Orlando was awesome. I'll be back to this one. Discount at Celebration was good.

> >

> >

> >

> > Plan on visiting a lot more but if you have questions about any of these, especially in Texas I will be glad to answer. I also started a golf blog last year. I won't post it so I won't get in trouble again but you can see it in my profile. Some of these aren't on there as I played them before I started the blog and didn't take the necessary pictures.

>

>

> Thanks for sharing this information. I travel to the DFW area a few times a year for work and will definitely be taking advantage of the CC ONE benefits.

>

> Out of the 3-4 clubs you recommend, is there one in particular you were impressed with from a dining perspective (e.g. ambiance, food, service)?

>

> Kind regards,

>

> Michael

>

I haven't dined at any of the courses. I did dine at the La Cima Club which is near Las Colinas Country Club. It is has a nice view and the service and food was very good. I would guess Gleneagles would lead in the dining experience over the other clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

Played Riverside in Portland a couple weeks ago. Very flat parkland course. No houses. Bordered by a prison on one side which was cool. Didn't hear any shankings. Also there was a barn on the other side of the property with what I think was a mule in it. The mule was losing its mind.

I liked the course. Flat, but in good shape. Good mix of dogleg lefts and rights. They have lots of pushies if you like to walk.

It was an easy walk and there were some REALLY big pine trees dotted around the place. Staff was very nice. Great match play poster in the locker room (camera was not out of focus. The poster was printed out of focus):

![](https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/L9GP0Y0zpjBINDwEvpIk6wQkBdOKssvoDsvkiyUnEFaj2_xUNerVXlvSIFIHrgTL37nyAYl3uonPXzT1KNC97MDLVuPdx80-crlu00Fv7P5a-QZVxpmsFx33-erdNl7jZblyXiC-N2QUpY4-aRnv3RGTR6xSAV1wDGXPrvJiircu6bQUs1BXHML3eOYXg_E2L5ewGv-MthfDx6gnafrBLunDEUKT6xgD14NOzsIrC9XwYaDA7CzwpL6zBB3rEWTU2oXo1z0uem3c3Gl9sCOheA4F_b_9n4Fa5EQiJV2d2L7r2aL1UoSV9mffYejgLzHOQmS5CzVygUSrOf85b3D0Hwq4QpoT6DrjhWGIJnKkWDlqzfFh9cF9Qm5eJV1_BHsLwGyyxoEJwhOnFsgckQKyMg_KMNviZGEGEmodQ_Q2RWdjlonec1ieTr42XTwFj0doF3piVQBSGSzPGfbqPkvpppKeKDmGRIHnhqz7DeBdvi_28lgvhsF8BKCBFlh3r5NG-2GL8TqHK8zDY8nwQk_Wh-Gxt-cSPpV8lTIFjIG0rrQLghig83nx9c92jz2LZUBisWXGICBwPbH2f7R1P8pk500Vh4qXKgtITCmNCvPoA3xZ-Fxd9CRr9tYIa4nYk1BZLLXYGK0LR3XotkFp_VZDIKbUi8KvfGO2=w1271-h953-no-tmp.jpg "")

AMA! I have been to over 200 courses in this network! Happy to help anyone.

My top clubs providing access or cart fee only in the network (*notates affiliate vs ClubCorp owned)

Mission Hills (Palm Springs)

Firestone (Akron)

Indian Wells (Palm Springs)

Coto de Caza (orange County)

The Woodlands CC (Houston)

PGA National (Palm Beach)*

Haig Point Club (Daufuskie Island; not free, but access)*

Breakers West Country Club (Palm Beach; not free but access)*

Omni Barton Creek (Austin; discount on golf packages; all courses here are top notch)*

Pinehurst No 9. (access to other course w/o overnight stay)*

Anglebrook Golf Club (Westchester County; 1hr N of NYC)*

CC of the South (Atlanta, mens locker room is insane)

Anthem CC (Phoenix)

Dye Club Barefoot Resort (yes, it is private. Barefoot's other 3 courses are not private: Fazio, Love, norman)*

Tucson National*

CC of the South (Atlanta)

White Columns CC/The Manor (Atlanta)

Bear's Best Las Vegas

TPC Craig Ranch (Dallas/McKinney

Stonebriar (Dallas/Frisco)

The Club at Porto Cima (Lake Ozarks, MO)*

Gleneagles CC (Dallas/Plano)

Traditions Club at A&M (College Station, TX)*

Somerby Golf Club (Rochester/Byron, MN)*

Greystone Golf & CC (Birmingham, AL)*

Currituck Golf Club (Outer Banks, NC) (Also have Nags Head Golf Links, not in my overall top but nice course)

Vista Vallarta Club de golf (PV, Mexico; both Nicklaus and Weiskopf)

Oak Tree Country Club (OKC)

The Territory Golf Club (Duncan, OKC)*

Golf Club Indigo Run (Hilton Head)

Seabrook Island Club (s. Charleston)*

The Hills Country Club (Austin, both Flintrock Falls and Signature)

Timarron CC (Dallas/Southlake)

Bishops Bay CC (madison, WI)*

Golden Bear Keene's Point (Orlando)*

Lago Mar CC (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)*

Seven Canyons Club (Sedona; not free, discounts)

Have any recommendations for the Toronto area? I am headed to the area for work. Going to stay a few days after and be able to get 2-3 rounds in. Think Glen Abbey looks like a must. But going off of google rating there are a bunch of other highly rated courses in the area as well. On google there are 14 courses Club Corp Travel has access to in the area that are rated 4.4 or higher. Not that google reviews are a great source. Realize a lot of reviews on there are for the food or people who have been to weddings at the course.