2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Moving to Pittsburgh

cbfizznores

Hello Everyone,

I am moving to Pittsburgh in early 2017 from Chicago. I am a pretty avid golfer and would love to continue playing once I make the move. However, my wife is from Pittsburgh so I don't know the area really at all and am wondering if anyone can offer suggestions on good value courses? Here is some general info if this helps:

1. We will be living in the Baldwin area and it would be awesome to keep the commute under an hour to a course.

2. I regularly walk courses in Chicago so I am very open to playing walkable courses in Pittsburgh as well. (I know it is much hillier in Pittsburgh but I find walking to be a good way to save a few bucks and get in some exercise.) However, I am open to recommendations for courses that are significantly better experiences by riding.

3. I currently play about once per week but have a new baby so I anticipate that number decreasing.

4. I am around a 16 handicap.

5. I would love to keep cost under $50 if possible.

I have done some research on my own but thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has recommendations they could share.

Thanks so much!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the neighborhood. I currently live in Whitehall which is right next door and in the same school district. It's a really nice neighborhood and there are a tone of options for golf within the 1/2 hr to 1hr drive. I'm gonna assume you mostly are interested in public courses, but south hills country club is walking distance to my house and a pretty nice course. I'm not a member but always consider it cause I have kids now too and it would save me a ton of time. It's pretty affordable if you golf more than twice a week compared to the greens fees you would be paying. Almost every course within an hour in any direction is in the $40-$60 range on weekends with a cart. Most course won't let you walk on weekends in the mornings if they are busy. You can play most courses around $20-$30 during the week. If you leave your house and drive south, you will start running into course in about 20 minutes. Riverview, Butler, Victory Hills and Cedarbrook are all within about 10 minutes from each other all off the same main road. All about the same price and condition. Will just come down to what you prefer. About 20 minutes further is Madison Club. Definitely worth the drive in my mind as it's a notch above the previously listed ones and costs the same. Lindenwood is another nice one that's within a 1/2 hr of our house but is closer to $65 which is one of the pricier ones around.

Totteridge is my favorite reasonably priced course in the area. About an hour east and is only $50 on weekends. I would not consider that course walker friendly and quite frankly, not sure if they even give you the option. I have never been asked when I check in if I wanted to walk. Course is links style, long if you play from the back and in good shape most days.

Quicksilver is a really nice course by the airport but I only play in early spring and late fall when prices are reduced to around $40. It's around $75 during peak season.

Mystic Rock is a must play but it's about 1hr 20 mins and expensive. Used to have $99 specials but I haven't seen any this year.

Olde Stonewall is about an hour north and almost as nice as Mystic Rock. It's about $100 and I would call it a must play at least once.

Tons of other course within an hour but these are most convenient/best value I could think of within the hour range.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

Thanks so much for such a detailed response! I appreciate your feedback as someone who is new to the area and hoping to get good bang for my buck. I admit I did not give South Hills Country Club much thought (particularly as someone who will be working at a public high school in the area) but maybe it is worth a second thought if it is a better value.

If you are ever looking for a playing partner I'd be happy to join you.

Welcome to the neighborhood. I currently live in Whitehall which is right next door and in the same school district. It's a really nice neighborhood and there are a tone of options for golf within the 1/2 hr to 1hr drive. I'm gonna assume you mostly are interested in public courses, but south hills country club is walking distance to my house and a pretty nice course. I'm not a member but always consider it cause I have kids now too and it would save me a ton of time. It's pretty affordable if you golf more than twice a week compared to the greens fees you would be paying. Almost every course within an hour in any direction is in the $40-$60 range on weekends with a cart. Most course won't let you walk on weekends in the mornings if they are busy. You can play most courses around $20-$30 during the week. If you leave your house and drive south, you will start running into course in about 20 minutes. Riverview, Butler, Victory Hills and Cedarbrook are all within about 10 minutes from each other all off the same main road. All about the same price and condition. Will just come down to what you prefer. About 20 minutes further is Madison Club. Definitely worth the drive in my mind as it's a notch above the previously listed ones and costs the same. Lindenwood is another nice one that's within a 1/2 hr of our house but is closer to $65 which is one of the pricier ones around.

Totteridge is my favorite reasonably priced course in the area. About an hour east and is only $50 on weekends. I would not consider that course walker friendly and quite frankly, not sure if they even give you the option. I have never been asked when I check in if I wanted to walk. Course is links style, long if you play from the back and in good shape most days.

Quicksilver is a really nice course by the airport but I only play in early spring and late fall when prices are reduced to around $40. It's around $75 during peak season.

Mystic Rock is a must play but it's about 1hr 20 mins and expensive. Used to have $99 specials but I haven't seen any this year.

Olde Stonewall is about an hour north and almost as nice as Mystic Rock. It's about $100 and I would call it a must play at least once.

Tons of other course within an hour but these are most convenient/best value I could think of within the hour range.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely do not walk Totteridge, but it is certainly a must play! Good re-play rates too if you have time for 36 in a day.

Quicksilver is a fun public course, very much your typical Pittsburgh public course but worth the trip.

Olde Stonewall is maybe the most over-priced golf course of all time. I think the prices are around $150 these days and it is not even worth 100 IMO.

Honestly, the cool thing about the area is that there are so many courses that you can play a lot of different tracks and pick the ones you prefer. There are not a ton of WOW-type public courses, but there is some really solid courses for prices I have found to be much cheaper than similar-condition courses in other major city.

Another course you should check out, even though it is a good drive is Birdsfoot. Links-style course, not too difficult but such a cool area out there with some decent views, and you can GolfNow it for probably like 30 bucks. Greens are usually really nice too.

The thing with the area though is that a lot of times you will have to take a decent drive to get to some other courses but almost always worth it!

I live west, out near the airport, but I have played all the courses Browne11 has mentioned.

In the south hills, I'll add Scenic Valley to the list. It's short and hilly, but you'll get lots of pars the second time you play it!

Lindenwood has 27 holes, there are deals to be had there, but they are pretty costly at rack rate. I really like that course.

Most of Pittsburgh is hilly, and some of the courses are more "walkable" than others. (I wouldn't walk Scenic). There is a 9 hole course Frosty Valley, that is southernish and walkable. We'll sneak down there weekdays for a fast cheap lap.

You can walk South Park economically, and it's no tee times so you can play as a single and get hooked up with other players. You'll meet lots of like minded neighbors that way.

Anyway, welcome to the Burgh! I think you'll love it here!

X________________________________ Sign Here

I live west, out near the airport, but I have played all the courses Browne11 has mentioned.

In the south hills, I'll add Scenic Valley to the list. It's short and hilly, but you'll get lots of pars the second time you play it!

Lindenwood has 27 holes, there are deals to be had there, but they are pretty costly at rack rate. I really like that course.

Most of Pittsburgh is hilly, and some of the courses are more "walkable" than others. (I wouldn't walk Scenic). There is a 9 hole course Frosty Valley, that is southernish and walkable. We'll sneak down there weekdays for a fast cheap lap.

You can walk South Park economically, and it's no tee times so you can play as a single and get hooked up with other players. You'll meet lots of like minded neighbors that way.

Anyway, welcome to the Burgh! I think you'll love it here!

It's funny. I feel maybe I'm biased cause they were the courses I grew up playing but I do not like Lindenwood at all. The layout is good but the soft furry greens have always bothered me and they are pretty expensive for the area. And I grew up 5 minutes from scenic valley and not a fan at all. I feel it's almost a pitch and putt. Me and my buddies will do Friday happy hour golf there for the convenience and short drives home but will never play there on our good Saturday or Sunday matches. I actually may like the muni South Park for $12 better than both of them. Layout is decent but their greens are terrible too.

Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S

Definitely do not walk Totteridge, but it is certainly a must play! Good re-play rates too if you have time for 36 in a day.

Quicksilver is a fun public course, very much your typical Pittsburgh public course but worth the trip.

Olde Stonewall is maybe the most over-priced golf course of all time. I think the prices are around $150 these days and it is not even worth 100 IMO.

Honestly, the cool thing about the area is that there are so many courses that you can play a lot of different tracks and pick the ones you prefer. There are not a ton of WOW-type public courses, but there is some really solid courses for prices I have found to be much cheaper than similar-condition courses in other major city.

Another course you should check out, even though it is a good drive is Birdsfoot. Links-style course, not too difficult but such a cool area out there with some decent views, and you can GolfNow it for probably like 30 bucks. Greens are usually really nice too.

The thing with the area though is that a lot of times you will have to take a decent drive to get to some other courses but almost always worth it!

I agree. I am a fan of Birdsfoot. It's challenging and long but very fair. They also have some great outings you could get into. They have a November Big Cup scramble that is awesome. 2 different weekends that both fill up. They cut the hole to 4x size of normal hole and it's usually pretty cold so only people that really like golf make it. They sell out quick but put out 36 teams of 4 for day each each weekend. Prizes are unbelievable and spread out throughout the field. For example 9th place team, all 4 got scottys this year. Really fun. I'm playing in there st pattys day scramble on March 18th that sounds great. Jameson in every drink for the day that is included and a legit sounding Irish dinner after

Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S

I just moved to Pittsburgh as well, just on the Wilkins TWP/Monroeville border. The courses closest to me are 3 Lakes, and Grandview. 3 Lakes looks like a good layout but Grandview appears to be mountain target golf. Does anybody have any feedback on either of these courses? I will also definitely consider Totteridge which is about 35 mins east of me.

As for driving ranges, how is Mcdains? That is only 10 mins down the road and I think I'll take advantage of the spring like weather this weekend.

Cobra Fly Z+ Diamana D+ 60s
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3W 14.5 Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 80s
Adams Pro Hybrid 18*
Titleist 913H 21*
Mizuno MP 32 4-PW S300
Odyssey Versa Works #1W
Vokey SM5 F Grind 52, SM5 M Grind 58
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1293204-turberticus-witb-2016/"][color=#000080]WITB 2016[/color][/url]
[url="https://www.gamegolf.com/player/turberticus"][color=#000080]Gamegolf[/color][/url]

I just moved to Pittsburgh as well, just on the Wilkins TWP/Monroeville border. The courses closest to me are 3 Lakes, and Grandview. 3 Lakes looks like a good layout but Grandview appears to be mountain target golf. Does anybody have any feedback on either of these courses? I will also definitely consider Totteridge which is about 35 mins east of me.

As for driving ranges, how is Mcdains? That is only 10 mins down the road and I think I'll take advantage of the spring like weather this weekend.

3 Lakes is fun. It was formerly a country club, I grew up minutes from that course. Join their Email club as they send out quite a few specials. It's a hilly/sloped track, but the conditions and greens are usually maintained nicely.

You won't like Grandview until the 3rd time you play it. So very hilly with lots of blind shots and lost balls. Once you figure out where the targets are (and have put the driver away) you can relax and enjoy the course. The conditions are nice, the layout is funky, the views are grand.

In my book a range is a range and I hate whacking balls. That said, McDains is nice.

Based on your location, it sounds like you are 30 seconds away from the old abandoned Churchill Country Club. I still cry when I drive past there.

Welcome to Pittsburgh! (Yes, we even embrace Patriot fans) :)

X________________________________ Sign Here

3 Lakes is fun. It was formerly a country club, I grew up minutes from that course. Join their Email club as they send out quite a few specials. It's a hilly/sloped track, but the conditions and greens are usually maintained nicely.

You won't like Grandview until the 3rd time you play it. So very hilly with lots of blind shots and lost balls. Once you figure out where the targets are (and have put the driver away) you can relax and enjoy the course. The conditions are nice, the layout is funky, the views are grand.

In my book a range is a range and I hate whacking balls. That said, McDains is nice.

Based on your location, it sounds like you are 30 seconds away from the old abandoned Churchill Country Club. I still cry when I drive past there.

Welcome to Pittsburgh! (Yes, we even embrace Patriot fans) :)

I played in a couple of junior events at Churchill Country Club back in the day. Kind of a quirky course, but it was in good shape.

Green Oaks CC is right around there too. There are some great views from a couple of holes there.

I like the layout at 3 Lakes. It is pretty fun.

I really like Birdsfoot. I've also liked the Links at Spring Church the couple of times I have played there (although it has been years and it is a bit of a drive).

• 2 weeks later...

Great feedback everyone. I actually played Lindenwood last Saturday and had a real positive experience. (Playing for $18 doesn't hurt either!) My list of playing partners in the area is very limited since I am so new so if you guys ever need someone to round out your group (with a handicap around 17 is my best guess) feel free to reach out.

• 3 months later...

I'm in the Plum/Murrysville area... not too many great options within 15 minutes of me, but some decent options within 40 minutes to an hour away. I do frequently play at Meadowink out of convenience, but they have about the worst greens in western PA, layout and conditions off the greens are decent. The courses I would recommend that haven't been mentioned are Apollo Elks, Latrobe Elks, Champion Lakes, Donegal Highlands, and Pheasant Ridge. I can agree with Totteridge, Madison Club, and Quicksilver. Practice facility wise, not much better than Totter's set up. Outside of that, at least out east, mostly everything is old balls off of mats. Perhaps Stoney Creek could be considered a decent range. Hope you're all enjoying your Western PA golf.

A drive east of Pittsburgh will take you to Champion Lakes, near Latrobe, PA which is just a great course. Mr. Dick Groat owns the the facility and Mr. Palmer and Mr. Mediate share the course record. Great place, and best of all, Mr. Groat is a gracious and welcoming host. Excellent scenery of Chestnut Ridge too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Olde Stonewall might be overpriced but it's a seriously fun golf course. Outrageously scenic and the conditions have always been outstanding when I've played there...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

• 1 year later...

I have not posted in awhile so I am not sure if this will garner any sort of response. However, I was wondering if anyone has ever played courses between Pittsburgh and DC. I am heading to DC to visit a friend in a few weekends and was thinking about trying to play a round along the way. I did some quick searches on towns along I-76 and I-70 but could not find much. Any insight you may have (preferably walkable courses) is appreciated!

I have not posted in awhile so I am not sure if this will garner any sort of response. However, I was wondering if anyone has ever played courses between Pittsburgh and DC. I am heading to DC to visit a friend in a few weekends and was thinking about trying to play a round along the way. I did some quick searches on towns along I-76 and I-70 but could not find much. Any insight you may have (preferably walkable courses) is appreciated!

Probably one of the best courses in that area off the turnpike is Bedford Springs. It is pricey however but I’m not sure of their early season prices. It’s an old Donald Ross design and the greens are quick.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

• 2 weeks later...

> @cbfizznores said:

> I have not posted in awhile so I am not sure if this will garner any sort of response. However, I was wondering if anyone has ever played courses between Pittsburgh and DC. I am heading to DC to visit a friend in a few weekends and was thinking about trying to play a round along the way. I did some quick searches on towns along I-76 and I-70 but could not find much. Any insight you may have (preferably walkable courses) is appreciated!

Worthington Manor and Whiskey Creek are two really solid options not far off interstate 270. You can't go wrong with either of them.

I live in Mount Lebanon a suburb of Pittsburgh about 10 minutes from Baldwin (OP location) and 6 miles South of the city.

I didn't see anyone recommend Cranberry Highlands which is a nice public course about 20 miles (all highway) North of the city.

Lindenwood, already mentioned, isn't bad.

Since you are close to Mt. Lebanon another option might be (9 hole course) Mount Lebanon golf course. I think last year it was $13 for Lebo residents and a couple bucks more (if they even still ask) for people outside of Lebo. Kind of hilly but, you can't beat the price.

North Park and South Park both have a 9 and 18 hole course that can get crowded (read slow) but, are very reasonable.

Lastly, if you can somehow get on Oakmont country club, it's amazing.

> @diablocrusher said:

> cbfizznores wrote:

> I have not posted in awhile so I am not sure if this will garner any sort of response. However, I was wondering if anyone has ever played courses between Pittsburgh and DC. I am heading to DC to visit a friend in a few weekends and was thinking about trying to play a round along the way. I did some quick searches on towns along I-76 and I-70 but could not find much. Any insight you may have (preferably walkable courses) is appreciated!

> Probably one of the best courses in that area off the turnpike is Bedford Springs. It is pricey however but I’m not sure of their early season prices. It’s an old Donald Ross design and the greens are quick.

There has to be 25 within 5 miles of interstate ... Sure im missing one but Id tell you to play in driving order rt down 70/270 ... Lakeview, Rocky gap, Md national, Musket ridge, Worthington manor, Blue mash ... all great, open & right now DRY ?

> @BogeyPutt34 said:

> Olde stonewall was a fun challenge. I believe it’s regular rate is $150, I ended up going late fall, by chance, and it was $100. I wouldn’t recommend walking it though.

I played Olde Stonewall last fall for the first time and it was a great course. Very hilly on the back 9. Conditions were great, but I just happened to play the day it rained all day long. We are planning on going up again this summer when it's actually to nice day to get the full experience.

3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54

> @diablocrusher said:

> > @BogeyPutt34 said:

> > Olde stonewall was a fun challenge. I believe it’s regular rate is $150, I ended up going late fall, by chance, and it was $100. I wouldn’t recommend walking it though.

>

> I played Olde Stonewall last fall for the first time and it was a great course. Very hilly on the back 9. Conditions were great, but I just happened to play the day it rained all day long. We are planning on going up again this summer when it's actually to nice day to get the full experience.

If you go again make sure you go to the tips on 16, if nothing else just for the view. We weren’t playing those tees but went up there for a picture and ended up playing a ball up there. Good times!

> @BogeyPutt34 said:

>

>

> > @diablocrusher said:

> > > @BogeyPutt34 said:

> > > Olde stonewall was a fun challenge. I believe it’s regular rate is $150, I ended up going late fall, by chance, and it was $100. I wouldn’t recommend walking it though.

> >

> > I played Olde Stonewall last fall for the first time and it was a great course. Very hilly on the back 9. Conditions were great, but I just happened to play the day it rained all day long. We are planning on going up again this summer when it's actually to nice day to get the full experience.

>

> If you go again make sure you go to the tips on 16, if nothing else just for the view. We weren’t playing those tees but went up there for a picture and ended up playing a ball up there. Good times!

>

I agree, and yes we actually went to the tips on 16 to play our tee shots from there. The view is spectacular from up there, and when we were about to tee off on one the started pointed out you can see #16 tee box from #1 tee if you look up into the trees.

The view from up there is so great one of the guys in the group actually had to leave and walk back down to the other tee boxes, he said he was scared of heights and the view from up there was making him nervous and nauseous.

3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54

• 4 weeks later...

I also live in the South Hills and Quicksilver, Lindenwood, Totteridge, and Birdsfoot are the 4 publics I'd recommend. There are lots of others that are either in horrendous shape (South Park), bad layouts (Hickory Heights), or too expensive (Olde Stonewall). Mount Lebanon is a good 9-hole track with 2 bad holes (4 & 5). The rumor was at some point they were going to flatten out the fairway on 4 and make #5 not a blind par 3 so if that ever happens it would be gold.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 7X
Big Bertha 3WD 15* / Anser Hybrid 20*
SLDR 4-PW KBS Tour C-Taper 90
Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 35"
Srixon Z-Star Divide