Switching to Graphite

IamMarkMac

> @cardoustie said:

> Maybe playing the tips with the young bucks is the problem?

That could definitely be it! :smiley:

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @IamMarkMac said:

> Yeah I wish it was easy to test multiple graphite shafts but the stores around me don't stock the 110g graphites. What I can find pretty easily is SF 95 but I already know that that wouldn't be one of my choices. I'm ok with Recoil 95 but I do really want to test 110 before making a decision.

Why do you already know that won't be choice? What are your swing characteristics? I went from DG300S to i95 S with very little issue. The shafts don't play that differently, and the steelfibers definitely provide some damping.

> @gripandrip said:

>

> Why do you already know that won't be choice? What are your swing characteristics? I went from DG300S to i95 S with very little issue. The shafts don't play that differently, and the steelfibers definitely provide some damping.

I was already able to try that shaft in a recent fitting and even in the past, I haven't done great with it.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I had a match play tournament yesterday and my regular Sunday game today. The pain in the right elbow has cranked up a couple of notches (I can play but I worry about how much it can get worse) and the pain in the left elbow is definitely there. Last week I got a fitting at Club Champion and found that I hit Steelfiber 110, Recoil 110 and Mitsubishi OT 105 just as well as my current CTaper Lites.

I'm wondering though if I should also go ahead and try to get used to lighter shafts. I wouldn't be able to test that though as we tried so lighter shafts and I didn't hit those well so I would have to invest the time to practice with them.

> @IamMarkMac said:

> So lately I've developed pain in the right elbow and today I'm sensing the beginning of left elbow pain. I'm thinking it's the right time to switch to graphite but is it just a like for like swap for weight and stiffness?

> My current shaft is cTaper Lite Reg. I think it's about 110g so would the 110g UST or Steelfiber shaft be the right move? I could try to get something lighter (because graphite) but frankly I like the weight of my club now.

If i were you i would find a set of 95 gram recoils in f3 and swap them directly into your irons! They swing weight much better in my opinion than the recoil 110 or steelfiber 95 and 110. The 110's were difficult to swingweight. Recoil 95 has been a direct swap in the 2 sets ive done and both sets are playing at D3 which is exactly what they played at when they were steel. Graphphite is def helping my right elbow and hands!

> @indianalawnguy said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > So lately I've developed pain in the right elbow and today I'm sensing the beginning of left elbow pain. I'm thinking it's the right time to switch to graphite but is it just a like for like swap for weight and stiffness?

> > My current shaft is cTaper Lite Reg. I think it's about 110g so would the 110g UST or Steelfiber shaft be the right move? I could try to get something lighter (because graphite) but frankly I like the weight of my club now.

> If i were you i would find a set of 95 gram recoils in f3 and swap them directly into your irons! They swing weight much better in my opinion than the recoil 110 or steelfiber 95 and 110. The 110's were difficult to swingweight. Recoil 95 has been a direct swap in the 2 sets ive done and both sets are playing at D3 which is exactly what they played at when they were steel. Graphphite is def helping my right elbow and hands!

>

That's literally what I was thinking about. Even though, during my shaft fitting, I didn't do well with the 95g shafts, I feel like I can learn to hit at that weight.

> @IamMarkMac said:

> > @indianalawnguy said:

> > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > So lately I've developed pain in the right elbow and today I'm sensing the beginning of left elbow pain. I'm thinking it's the right time to switch to graphite but is it just a like for like swap for weight and stiffness?

> > > My current shaft is cTaper Lite Reg. I think it's about 110g so would the 110g UST or Steelfiber shaft be the right move? I could try to get something lighter (because graphite) but frankly I like the weight of my club now.

> > If i were you i would find a set of 95 gram recoils in f3 and swap them directly into your irons! They swing weight much better in my opinion than the recoil 110 or steelfiber 95 and 110. The 110's were difficult to swingweight. Recoil 95 has been a direct swap in the 2 sets ive done and both sets are playing at D3 which is exactly what they played at when they were steel. Graphphite is def helping my right elbow and hands!

> >

>

> That's literally what I was thinking about. Even though, during my shaft fitting, I didn't do well with the 95g shafts, I feel like I can learn to hit at that weight.

From my experience (build a few sets with the 110 F4's and F5's), the recoil 110's swing weight just as nicely as the recoil 95's. It's only the steelfiber i110's that tend to be problematic at standard lengths. From what I've heard, even the steelfiber fc115's are not as problematic as the i110's.

But as to 'adjusting' to something that's not really a good fit - It's possible but risky. I wouldn't recommend it. It's not impossible and some people can adjust, but many can't. In one case, 2 years wasn't enough time for me - now I don't waste any more time trying. But that's me. However if you're still not convinced, some times going heavier with the swing weight can help compensate for a static weight that's a bit too light - but it's not the same and can only help so much.

> @gripandrip said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > Yeah I wish it was easy to test multiple graphite shafts but the stores around me don't stock the 110g graphites. What I can find pretty easily is SF 95 but I already know that that wouldn't be one of my choices. I'm ok with Recoil 95 but I do really want to test 110 before making a decision.

>

> Why do you already know that won't be choice? What are your swing characteristics? I went from DG300S to i95 S with very little issue. The shafts don't play that differently, and the steelfibers definitely provide some damping.

Funny you mention that shift.

About 2 weeks ago PGATSS made me an offer I couldn't refuse. LOL They had a set of Epic Pros, 5-PW with pured Steelfiber i95s. So I had to hit them into the sim and got pretty good results so I bought 'em - figured this was one set I could actually recoup my $$$ if I had to put 'em on eBay. LOL

Played my 4th round with them today and finally finding the sweet spot fairly consistently but they seem to be a full club longer than my AP-1s with DGS300 and I'm having a bit of trouble clubbing myself.

When I got seriously into golf in the early 90s I played a set of Lynx Parallax with graphite shafts. Graphite back then was very inconsistent and I switched to steel, played a LOT more consistently, and have been playing steel ever since. We'll see..........

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @gripandrip said:

> > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > Yeah I wish it was easy to test multiple graphite shafts but the stores around me don't stock the 110g graphites. What I can find pretty easily is SF 95 but I already know that that wouldn't be one of my choices. I'm ok with Recoil 95 but I do really want to test 110 before making a decision.

> >

> > Why do you already know that won't be choice? What are your swing characteristics? I went from DG300S to i95 S with very little issue. The shafts don't play that differently, and the steelfibers definitely provide some damping.

>

> Funny you mention that shift.

>

> About 2 weeks ago PGATSS made me an offer I couldn't refuse. LOL They had a set of Epic Pros, 5-PW with pured Steelfiber i95s. So I had to hit them into the sim and got pretty good results so I bought 'em - figured this was one set I could actually recoup my $$$ if I had to put 'em on eBay. LOL

>

> Played my 4th round with them today and finally finding the sweet spot fairly consistently but they seem to be a full club longer than my AP-1s with DGS300 and I'm having a bit of trouble clubbing myself.

>

> When I got seriously into golf in the early 90s I played a set of Lynx Parallax with graphite shafts. Graphite back then was very inconsistent and I switched to steel, played a LOT more consistently, and have been playing steel ever since. We'll see..........

I swap between my regular set of clubs with i95s (Srixon 745s) and a travel set with DG300s (Ping S57s). When I made the original shift I was a bit longer with the i95s as well, but figured it was more related to the difference in lofts. But strangely, after playing the i95s (and some swing improvements), I am also hitting the Pings longer as well. Soooo many variables.....

Good luck with the new sticks.

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > @indianalawnguy said:

> > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > So lately I've developed pain in the right elbow and today I'm sensing the beginning of left elbow pain. I'm thinking it's the right time to switch to graphite but is it just a like for like swap for weight and stiffness?

> > > > My current shaft is cTaper Lite Reg. I think it's about 110g so would the 110g UST or Steelfiber shaft be the right move? I could try to get something lighter (because graphite) but frankly I like the weight of my club now.

> > > If i were you i would find a set of 95 gram recoils in f3 and swap them directly into your irons! They swing weight much better in my opinion than the recoil 110 or steelfiber 95 and 110. The 110's were difficult to swingweight. Recoil 95 has been a direct swap in the 2 sets ive done and both sets are playing at D3 which is exactly what they played at when they were steel. Graphphite is def helping my right elbow and hands!

> > >

> >

> > That's literally what I was thinking about. Even though, during my shaft fitting, I didn't do well with the 95g shafts, I feel like I can learn to hit at that weight.

>

> From my experience (build a few sets with the 110 F4's and F5's), the recoil 110's swing weight just as nicely as the recoil 95's. It's only the steelfiber i110's that tend to be problematic at standard lengths. From what I've heard, even the steelfiber fc115's are not as problematic as the i110's.

>

> But as to 'adjusting' to something that's not really a good fit - It's possible but risky. I wouldn't recommend it. It's not impossible and some people can adjust, but many can't. In one case, 2 years wasn't enough time for me - now I don't waste any more time trying. But that's me. However if you're still not convinced, some times going heavier with the swing weight can help compensate for a static weight that's a bit too light - but it's not the same and can only help so much.

>

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on the new shafts but I'm thinking you could be right. I did a third session today hitting graphite shafts and every time, the lower the weight, the lower my swing speed. I've been hitting 70-80g shafts at about 74mph, 100-110g at 78mph and 125g at 80-82mph (testing mostly Steelfiber and Recoil). Since this has been consistent over a couple of weeks now, it serves as a good baseline. I'm now trying to see if I can bring up my swing speed and distance with the lighter clubs.

It's going to cost a good amount to reshaft into graphite so I really want to make sure I get it right.

The 110 steelfiber are a funny duck. The are re-known for not working well. I think Freddie is the only name pro using them

The 95 and 125 both feel great and perform well

i95 used for years by Sneds and cheapo Kuch

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Fwiw I've played recoil 110 f4, recoil 95 f4, sf 95 stiff ssx2, accra 80i+ lead tape (current backup set) and recoil 95 f3 (current set). Forgot...also recoil 780 es smacwrap f4 (too light, but good).

I liked all of them, they will all be easier on your body. I pulled back from recoil 110s because I'm not getting younger and had adjusted down over a period of years from steel weight, so 95s with decent swingwts are fine, can feel the club no problem. On the other hand, I don't like going much lighter. I'm not decrepit, mid 80s iron ss, up to low 90s when I want.

Couple of thoughts...graphite helps but what if the elbow root cause is a swing problem?

Secondly, if you get a set of used ping or mizunos with recoils, you'll get most your money out of them if you dump-em later, low risk trial. Anyway, good luck.

I know this is a bit off topic, but ultimately it is relevant. I have struggled with elbow pain and made the attempt to use graphite to help. It did in fact help, but my they were not a great fit for me and my ball striking suffered. I then made the decision to commit to the tyler twist exercises using the flex bar and that has helped me more than the switch to graphite. I am back to steel shafts and playing much better than before. Can't recommend it enough.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Took a look at the flex bar. That seems to be a rehab device. Is it supposed to be preventive as well?

> @gripandrip said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @gripandrip said:

> > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > Yeah I wish it was easy to test multiple graphite shafts but the stores around me don't stock the 110g graphites. What I can find pretty easily is SF 95 but I already know that that wouldn't be one of my choices. I'm ok with Recoil 95 but I do really want to test 110 before making a decision.

> > >

> > > Why do you already know that won't be choice? What are your swing characteristics? I went from DG300S to i95 S with very little issue. The shafts don't play that differently, and the steelfibers definitely provide some damping.

> >

> > Funny you mention that shift.

> >

> > About 2 weeks ago PGATSS made me an offer I couldn't refuse. LOL They had a set of Epic Pros, 5-PW with pured Steelfiber i95s. So I had to hit them into the sim and got pretty good results so I bought 'em - figured this was one set I could actually recoup my $$$ if I had to put 'em on eBay. LOL

> >

> > Played my 4th round with them today and finally finding the sweet spot fairly consistently but they seem to be a full club longer than my AP-1s with DGS300 and I'm having a bit of trouble clubbing myself.

> >

> > When I got seriously into golf in the early 90s I played a set of Lynx Parallax with graphite shafts. Graphite back then was very inconsistent and I switched to steel, played a LOT more consistently, and have been playing steel ever since. We'll see..........

>

> I swap between my regular set of clubs with i95s (Srixon 745s) and a travel set with DG300s (Ping S57s). When I made the original shift I was a bit longer with the i95s as well, but figured it was more related to the difference in lofts. But strangely, after playing the i95s (and some swing improvements), I am also hitting the Pings longer as well. Soooo many variables.....

> Good luck with the new sticks.

Thanks.

I'm not a "swapper" in that I don't typically alternate irons from round to round or just when I feel like it.

That said, for many years my personal "record" for keeping a set of irons was ~2 (nothing lasted more than 2). In 2012 I bought a set of Ping G20s with DGS300s and used them until the middle of last year; 6 full seasons and played some of the best golf of my life. I did change to C-Tapers for about 8 months around 2015 or so but then put the DGS300s back in.

Last July I got a set of Titleist 716 AP-1s with DGS300. Always loved the Ap-1 series irons. Hit them pretty well,,,,,,,, until I didn't, and just recently, on a whim, decided to give these i95s a twirl. The don't feel "loose" at all and don't feel too light either. I don't feel like my swing is "waving" the club around in all differents ways (as lighter clubs sometimes do) and, of course, the wind can play havoc with shots as well even on courses where you "know" the wind. But these are borderline uncontrollable and I'm not sure exactly why. Went back to the Titleists this past Monday and hit them much better (again).

I'm thinking this is a short term experiment gone bad. ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X