New 2019 Bushnell Pro XE

If you don't travel and need altitude adjustment and if you're asking yourself this question, go with the cheaper one.

leaning towards that but I do play in Houston and Scotland so very different places!

Leupold

how to complicate things!!!

If you play all over I can see going with this new one, otherwise I'm going Leupold and their lifetime warranty all day every day.

Leupold is a 2yr warranty on rangefinders.

If you don't travel and need altitude adjustment and if you're asking yourself this question, go with the cheaper one.

leaning towards that but I do play in Houston and Scotland so very different places!

Leupold

how to complicate things!!!

If you play all over I can see going with this new one, otherwise I'm going Leupold and their lifetime warranty all day every day.

Leupold is a 2yr warranty on rangefinders.

Dang, must be a new thing. Lots of posts here on the board about a lifetime warranty in the past. I had one that was ~5 years old replaced with a new model no questions asked.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

well 80% sure I am going to order one tomorrow, seems its April 1 release date.

a little bit of me still wants to spend less money on the Precision Pro but my last laser is still going strong after 10 years; Bushnell 1600 Pro.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

• 2 weeks later...

> @Redbird said:

> Looks like mine shipped today. Gonna put it to the test on Sunday.

Where did you order from? I thought mine would ship yesterday and not heard a thing yet.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @Redbird said:

> > @scott_Donald said:

> > > @Redbird said:

> > > Looks like mine shipped today. Gonna put it to the test on Sunday.

> >

> > Where did you order from? I thought mine would ship yesterday and not heard a thing yet.

>

> TGW

I was DD.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Well just got told this -

I just spoke with Bushnell and unfortunately they didn't have as many on hand for the launch as they wanted, so this order got backordered to May 10. I'm very sorry about the delay.

Yeah I'm sorry, they overpromised on inventory and this was to ship to you directly from Bushnell. That date is probably pretty solid.

Not happy at all. I got such a good price, heading home to Scotland to golf for a month and wanted it for then.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Does anybody know if you can calculate the altitude to where you live? I live at 4500', and I believe these are reading everything at sea level. I can click on the top of a building, and it reads 114 yards with a +19%, and play it at 119 yards. I'm hoping you can change in the settings to 4500' so it will say play it for 136 yards. Still not positive if it's taking into consideration the temperature or not either.

> @Chubbydog said:

> Does anybody know if you can calculate the altitude to where you live? I live at 4500', and I believe these are reading everything at sea level. I can click on the top of a building, and it reads 114 yards with a +19%, and play it at 119 yards. I'm hoping you can change in the settings to 4500' so it will say play it for 136 yards. Still not positive if it's taking into consideration the temperature or not either.

09qr14giwhw6.png

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

> @Laznasty said:

> 09qr14giwhw6.png

>

Thank you! That's what I was hoping to change. Looks like this will be nice if you live at sea level, and know how far each club goes at 0' elevation. At altitude, it's showing you what yardage to play it for based on the sea level elevation though.

Example: If my yardage is 150 yards, it's saying play it for 140 yards here based on the elements. I normally play a 9 iron 150 yards at 4500', and where it's a little colder than usual, I'd be playing it for about 155 at this elevation. I only play at sea level for 2 weeks out of the year. If I turn off the elements, then it's basically the same as my Leupold. I was hoping I could set the 4500' elevation to my home setting, and it would compensate from there, instead of sea level.

> @scott_Donald said:

> Well just got told this -

>

> I just spoke with Bushnell and unfortunately they didn't have as many on hand for the launch as they wanted, so this order got backordered to May 10. I'm very sorry about the delay.

> Yeah I'm sorry, they overpromised on inventory and this was to ship to you directly from Bushnell. That date is probably pretty solid.

>

> Not happy at all. I got such a good price, heading home to Scotland to golf for a month and wanted it for then.

>

Clearly they shipped enough out of fulfill the retail outlets, didn't have enough on hand for themselves or for places like DD who will ultimately drop ship the item.

So after 1 round, I'd say it's a decent range finder. Very easy to lock on to the pins, and very bright. A little disappointed with the element feature as I stated before. Not sure it's going to help anybody not playing at sea level on a regular basis. It's a great idea, and people who travel allot will enjoy that feature. If you know your distances 0' elevation, then it's awesome. I like the magnetic feature to stick on the cart. Other than that, it's no real upgrade over my GX4I.

as i understood it, it takes temp and air pressure into consideration, therefore it should give a reading other than at sea level. with the leupold, you have to manually set the temp and elevation into the unit. this bushnell is supposed to automatically calculated based on temp and barometric pressure.. so it should give a more accurate reading through the round

I picked it up yesterday. Came from the pro x 7. It was clear to me that it’s faster then my old one. I was impressed how fast it gave me distances as I sat in my truck shooting trees, fence posts, and cars. It was boom boom boom. And the magnet included is strong enough to stay put on the cart frame. I like the play as feature and it seems to work as yesterday was overcast and cool and I was given a play as to a fence post on my same plane with a 3 yard increase as opposed to the actual yardage.

Just picked mine up today at Roger Dunn in Mission Viejo - just arrived in store yesterday. (They had about 6-10 behind the counter.)

Won't be able to test it on course until the weekend but here are my initial observations vs. the Pro X2 I've been using for the past month.

**Similar/Negligible Differences**:

1. Display quality and brightness. At low light, the red display washes out on both.

2. Target acquisition speed.

3. Tactile feel/ruggedness/size.

4. Diopter adjustment wheel.

**Differences** (Pro XE ____ vs Pro X2 ____)

1. Red only display vs. ability to toggle between black and red display.

2. Built in sensors for temp & barometric pressure (which can be turned off without turning off slope) vs. slope only.

3. Magnet vs. No magnet. The Pro XE magnet is decently strong. I'd still be concerned about leaving it on a cart bar. I estimate the magnet's pull force as around 25-30lbs (compared to a 44lb magnet hook I had). It took a bit of effort to pull off, but can quickly detach by lifting one edge of the unit (like most magnets...). This has me concerned about jostling on a cart or inadvertent bumps.

4. Slope switch requires more effort vs. easy slide. This is good if you're concerned about inadvertent activation of the slope function.

5. Dedicated mode button on top, also turns on the temp/baro gauge feature vs. side button for display toggle and setup access.

6. Slimmer case that closes with a bungee strap - similar to Leupold's vs. Harder case with bungee strap & zipper.

7. Case back has 2 velcro flaps lengthwise to wrap around a belt or other things. Outside flap still has loop to feed another strap through. vs. Loop to feed a strap. Both have carabiner clips.

8. 7x vs. 6x display. It was noticeable difference.

> @Chubbydog said:

> So after 1 round, I'd say it's a decent range finder. Very easy to lock on to the pins, and very bright. A little disappointed with the element feature as I stated before. Not sure it's going to help anybody not playing at sea level on a regular basis. It's a great idea, and people who travel allot will enjoy that feature. If you know your distances 0' elevation, then it's awesome. I like the magnetic feature to stick on the cart. Other than that, it's no real upgrade over my GX4I.

>

You seem to be overthinking it a little bit, it gives the distance for whatever temp and air pressure you're at, not at sea level. Otherwise the elements feature would be useless.

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw

> @Laznasty said:

>

>

> You seem to be overthinking it a little bit, it gives the distance for whatever temp and air pressure you're at, not at sea level. Otherwise the elements feature would be useless.

I hope you're right, but I'm afraid the element feature is going to be useless for people who don't know there distances at sea level. If I'm at 4500', and it says 150 yards to the pin with a +5% for slope, and to play it at 140 yards when it's 50 degrees outside doesn't seem right to me. IMO, it should read play it at 155 or so. Now if I went down to sea level, and it said 150 yards to the hole, I was hoping it would let me set my home elevation to 4500, and tell me play it for 165 yards or so.

> @Chubbydog said:

> > @Laznasty said:

> >

> >

> > You seem to be overthinking it a little bit, it gives the distance for whatever temp and air pressure you're at, not at sea level. Otherwise the elements feature would be useless.

> I hope you're right, but I'm afraid the element feature is going to be useless for people who don't know there distances at sea level. If I'm at 4500', and it says 150 yards to the pin with a +5% for slope, and to play it at 140 yards when it's 50 degrees outside doesn't seem right to me. IMO, it should read play it at 155 or so. Now if I went down to sea level, and it said 150 yards to the hole, I was hoping it would let me set my home elevation to 4500, and tell me play it for 165 yards or so.

>

I agree, that you might be overthinking this. I just got off the phone w/ bushnell tech support and discussed this elevation question. he told me that this unit with temp and barometric pressure that's how elevation is calculated. of course, no unit on the market is going to be 100% accurate each minute of the day, but if its good for 99.9% of all the pga tour players, it must be good enough for us.

> @"Ti-Cip " said:

>

> I agree, that you might be overthinking this. I just got off the phone w/ bushnell tech support and discussed this elevation question. he told me that this unit with temp and barometric pressure that's how elevation is calculated. of course, no unit on the market is going to be 100% accurate each minute of the day, but if its good for 99.9% of all the pga tour players, it must be good enough for us.

>

I agree with the idea. I think it's great. Just doesn't work good for people who live at elevation already. I just tried it again with the element feature on. I pointed it up to the top of a house across the street. Says 124 yards to target with a +5% for slope. Play it at 117 yards. I turned the element feature off, and it's saying to play it at 130 yards. This is at 4500' elevation. I'm sure it's thinking if I hit it a club 124 at sea level, then play it at 117 here. That sounds about right. If I play it for 117 here though, I'm gonna come up 13 yards short saying I hit the shot I'm trying to hit.

> @"Ti-Cip " said:

> that sounds about right,, at 4500', uphill 5% your 124 yds plays at 117.. if you turn elements off it doesn't know you are at 4500' so your same 124 yd shot with 5% uphill will play at 130 yds.. makes sense to me. that's the whole reasoning behind the slope and elements feature.

Which is a cool feature for the people who live at sea level, and know what club they hit 150 yards. For people who don't know how far they hit there clubs at sea level, the element feature is kind of pointless. I guess I was hoping you could set it to a default elevation where you live, & know how far each club goes. Then when you travel down to sea level, it would say play your 150 yard shot like it's 160 yards. Take the math out of it for us.

I guess im not understanding your point, or you are not understanding the principles with this unit. if you are at sea level with this unit, with the elements on, it will calculate based on air pressure and temp to give you an accurate measurement. same if you are at 4500'.

but I guess your other option is to just get a leupold, and set your elevation to 4500' manually, then back to 0' when you go to sea level.

> @Chubbydog said:

> > @"Ti-Cip " said:

> > that sounds about right,, at 4500', uphill 5% your 124 yds plays at 117.. if you turn elements off it doesn't know you are at 4500' so your same 124 yd shot with 5% uphill will play at 130 yds.. makes sense to me. that's the whole reasoning behind the slope and elements feature.

>

> Which is a cool feature for the people who live at sea level, and know what club they hit 150 yards. For people who don't know how far they hit there clubs at sea level, the element feature is kind of pointless. I guess I was hoping you could set it to a default elevation where you live, & know how far each club goes. Then when you travel down to sea level, it would say play your 150 yard shot like it's 160 yards. Take the math out of it for us.

It **IS** taking your elevation into consideration, there's nothing you have to set on the device other than the elements feature being turned on. It's literally doing **exactly** what you said you wanted it to do. If it says 140yards, then hit whatever you would hit 140 yards at YOUR elevation. Plain and simple.

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw

> @Laznasty said:

> It **IS** taking your elevation into consideration, there's nothing you have to set on the device other than the elements feature being turned on. It's literally doing **exactly** what you said you wanted it to do. If it says 140yards, then hit whatever you would hit 140 yards at YOUR elevation. Plain and simple.

I don't think your understanding me. It's 150 yards to the hole at 4500' with a +5% up hill for slope. With the element feature on, it's saying to play it for 140 yards. If I play that for 140 yards, I'm coming up 13 yards short. It's thinking I normally play at sea level, and what ever I'd hit 140 there, then play that club. I'm not sure what I play 140 yards at sea level though. I have to turn the element feature off, and it says to play it at 155 yards, which is correct. What I'm saying is the 2nd number you see in the range finder isn't even close to the correct # with the element feature on, and if you are playing at elevation all the time. It's only good for people who are playing at sea level most of the time, and travel to a higher elevation. Then it does what it's supposed to do. Tell you what yardage to play for at that elevation.

> @"Ti-Cip " said:

> I somewhat disagree with you, with this scenario you are saying, if you hit your 140 yd club, you will be on the green. ie, it will travel 150 yds because you are at 4500' and +5% uphill. that seems right. either figure it out for yourself if this is gonna work for you or just return it and get another rangefinder

I play at 4500' 99% of the time. My 140 yard club is normally a PW at this elevation. My 150 yard club is normally a 9i at this elevation. If I'm 150 yards to the pin at 4500', and it's saying to hit it 140 yards in the range finder, I'm coming up short. Especially if I have a +5% uphill for slope. 13-15 yards short makes for a long birdie putt if you actually hit the shot you intended to hit. Now if I were playing at 8k' elevation, then it may be correct.