Sever's Disease

Was wondering if anyone has had to deal with this situation and their Junior golfer while going through puberty?  If so, how long did it take what did you do to ease the pain?  Right now he is at 3 months dealing with it and have had to withdraw from 5 tournaments.

For those of you that don't know, Sever's disease effects the growth plate in the heel of the foot.  It can effect one or both feet.  The heel bone can grow faster than the Achilles tendon that attaches at the back of the growth plate.  This can cause stress on the growth plate making it inflamed and irritated.  It is very painful and the golf motion puts a lot of stress on the feet which makes it worse.  It only lasts through puberty and doesn't have any long term adverse effects.

As I am the first to post in this section since the update, I will add that the new look of the WRX forums is horrible.  I liked the old and always have because it was visually more appeasing than sites like Hackers Paradise and The Sandtrap (guy who runs SandTrap is a ****** anyway).  This new look is the worst of the 3 right now.  Hope it gets better soon.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

We've already chatted about this but I'll throw out for those that aren't familiar that this is predominant in a lot of athletic kids.  There are quite a few things you can do to alleviate the pain but it really just has to run its course.  Some kids will deal with it for 2 months while others are unable to compete for upwards of 18 months.  In gymnastics you'll see a lot of kids with the XBrace while others swear by Cheetah Cups or the AchilloTrain.

Hope it subsides quickly for your boy.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

leezer99 said:
We've already chatted about this but I'll throw out for those that aren't familiar that this is predominant in a lot of athletic kids.  There are quite a few things you can do to alleviate the pain but it really just has to run its course.  Some kids will deal with it for 2 months while others are unable to compete for upwards of 18 months.  In gymnastics you'll see a lot of kids with the XBrace while others swear by Cheetah Cups or the AchilloTrain.

Hope it subsides quickly for your boy.

Only thing relieving pain right now is stretching, ice, and not golfing.  He can run, ride a bike, shoot baskets, putt, chip, workout, and several other activities where he isn't jumping or cutting on the foot.  Podiatrist told us the golf swing may be the most demanding on the tendon and heel because of the motion.  Have been doing a lot of reading and the only thing that makes sense to me is to stretch the hamstring through the calf to relieve the pressure of the achilles on the growth plate.  I am growing impatient.

my kid went through it, missed most of his 8th grade football season, was good by Spring track.  They just have to grow through it.  We did get inserts from the Dr, but he doesn't use anything anymore, all good.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is going through this right now. It really hurt her through basketball season and we got ahead of it before golf season knowing 18 holes would be very rough. Our Dr put her in a boot outside of all basketball practices this Winter, but it didn't help. We ran into another parent who has a talented basketball player(w/Severs) and they suggested the following:

1) Stretch calf and arches before every practice

2) Roll arches with golf ball

3) Roll calf(back & sides) with foam roller

Repeat those after practice and ice.

4) Wear gel inserts everywhere

Realistically, we stretched/rolled/iced after each practice and always had gel inserts in. Nearly impossible to roll before practices with our schedule. Once we started this routine(you need to be diligent), it really helped.

She made it thru basketball fine, now is running track and walking the course is no problem. She mentions her heel hurts every once in awhile, but I think it's mostly b/c I'm asking. This is a huge improvement from 4 months ago where she was limping everywhere.

I really believe you need to get rid of the initial inflammation and then PROTECT it best you can with inserts and rolling.

So far, so good. I don't see it affecting golf this season as long as we stay on top of the above. For reference, she is on it a LOT. Track everyday after school and golf 3-4x a week.

> @thelefthandedgolfer said:

> Mine is going through this right now. It really hurt her through basketball season and we got ahead of it before golf season knowing 18 holes would be very rough. Our Dr put her in a boot outside of all basketball practices this Winter, but it didn't help. We ran into another parent who has a talented basketball player(w/Severs) and they suggested the following:

> 1) Stretch calf and arches before every practice

> 2) Roll arches with golf ball

> 3) Roll calf(back & sides) with foam roller

> Repeat those after practice and ice.

> 4) Wear gel inserts everywhere

> Realistically, we stretched/rolled/iced after each practice and always had gel inserts in. Nearly impossible to roll before practices with our schedule. Once we started this routine(you need to be diligent), it really helped.

> She made it thru basketball fine, now is running track and walking the course is no problem. She mentions her heel hurts every once in awhile, but I think it's mostly b/c I'm asking. This is a huge improvement from 4 months ago where she was limping everywhere.

> I really believe you need to get rid of the initial inflammation and then PROTECT it best you can with inserts and rolling.

> So far, so good. I don't see it affecting golf this season as long as we stay on top of the above. For reference, she is on it a LOT. Track everyday after school and golf 3-4x a week.

It has been just a little over 3 months to this point. Went back to the doc yesterday and he told us it could be up to 9 months. Told us the only thing that would make it go completely away is for the growth plate in the heel to fully calcify. He can play basketball, run, ride bike and work out with little to no problems. His pain comes from the force of using his feet and ground to create speed. The lateral movement he uses makes the pain unbearable to swing the club more than a few times. He works putting and chipping and that is it. A full swing now and then. Can't wait until this is gone. The only good spin I have on it is that he is going through a growth spurt with raging hormones and he is getting stronger and faster.

We have a lot of tween/teen soccer players with the same thing.

Only thing that has helped at all is inserts ... And waiting till they outgrow it.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @Tannerbug33 said:

> My son started complaining with ankle pain 1 week ago. This week is spring break and we have played almost everyday and the back 9 is killing him. We playing 36 hole tournament this weekend hope he holds up till we got back home to see his Dr

That stinks. How old is he?

Ask him where it hurts. My son told me he rolled his ankle playing basketball. He didn't roll it at all. The foot pain is on the sides of the foot and in the back above the heel where the Achilles is. The golf motion is the worst on it because of the strain of the calf along with the side to side motion. What you are describing sounds like Sever's. My son thought he could make it at The Honda Junior Classic and lasted 4 holes. Pain became too unbearable to even walk. Everything was done with the trail foot on his tip toe to reduce the strain. Fortunately, we knew one of the official there and he took care of him when he had to withdraw. I had never heard of Sever's before we took him to the podiatrist the following week.

Just as a suggestion, get him a compression sleeve for his foot/ankle. Get him gel inserts to wear in his shoes. Always have him wear shoes around the house. Make sure he ices it 20 minutes several times a day and I would put BioFreeze on it for the rounds. Take 2 Alleve in the morning and 2 in the evenings.

Hope he is OK.

> @Tannerbug33 said:

> Well we played Sat had a great front 9 then started falling off on the back 9. Nearly in tears at the end of the round. Withdrew from Sunday's round got home at a decent time last night and off to the Dr this afternoon. Hope we can get it figured out for sure and on the road to a quick recovery.

Hate to hear that. It really stinks. Mine actually player about 24 holes this weekend. Most he has played in 3 months. Podiatrist told me it could be 2-9 months and the only thing to make the pain go away is for the growth plate to calcify. Keep us updated and good luck.

> @"Matt J" said:

> Maybe a good opportunity to take a step back from full swing golf and just practice putting and short game?

> Could be his secret weapon down the road.

> I had it as a kid. Basically, what has been said, RICE, tons of preventative stretching and massage, and keep the inflammation down, let it run it's course.

You are correct. My kid goes up to the course to putt and chip almost every day for a couple of hours. Amazing how good he has become at chipping.

• 3 weeks later...

> @Tannerbug33 said:

> Well we played Sat had a great front 9 then started falling off on the back 9. Nearly in tears at the end of the round. Withdrew from Sunday's round got home at a decent time last night and off to the Dr this afternoon. Hope we can get it figured out for sure and on the road to a quick recovery.

How is your boy?

He's doing better. We got him pain free for the most part. And have really been working hard on stretching his whole body. He still complains a little bit but I have discovered that good shoes and stretching goes along ways.

Hopefully it stays away and we can manage it well. He was really playing some of the best golf he's played when it hit. Keeping fingers crossed.

How's your son doing

> @Tannerbug33 said:

> He's doing better. We got him pain free for the most part. And have really been working hard on stretching his whole body. He still complains a little bit but I have discovered that good shoes and stretching goes along ways.

> Hopefully it stays away and we can manage it well. He was really playing some of the best golf he's played when it hit. Keeping fingers crossed.

> How's your son doing

Two weekends away from playing in his firs tournament in 6 months. Keeping fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Palmetto Golfer" said:

> Keep us posted on how he is doing. Thank you for sharing this. My younger son...non-golfer...is very active with football, basketball, baseball..etc...and has complained of foot pain in the heel before. Sounds like i need to take it seriously.

Played 36 holes this weekend. No issues with the Sever's. Issues were fatigue and blisters on the back of the feet. He has only been walking and playing 3 weeks. It has been 6 months since his last tourney. Didn't play great, but was pleased that he grinded it out both days.

• Like 1

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @"Palmetto Golfer" said:

> > Keep us posted on how he is doing. Thank you for sharing this. My younger son...non-golfer...is very active with football, basketball, baseball..etc...and has complained of foot pain in the heel before. Sounds like i need to take it seriously.

>

> Played 36 holes this weekend. No issues with the Sever's. Issues were fatigue and blisters on the back of the feet. He has only been walking and playing 3 weeks. It has been 6 months since his last tourney. Didn't play great, but was pleased that he grinded it out both days.

That is awesome. Glad to hear he is doing better and back at tournament golf.

• 1 month later...

My son was a baseball player during his Severs "era". Lasted about 1 - 1.5 years from age 9.5 - ~11. Nothing you can do about it except for ride it out and try to alleviate the pain and minimize the flaring. What we did:

1) ortho heels - we constantly switched brands / heights / cushioning levels. for some reason, each different set would work for a couple weeks but then the pain would return. so we'd switch them out and the pain would subside but then return a couple weeks later. required patience but by constantly switching, we were able to help the situation

2) aggressive stretching - before and after games / practice. i'm not actually convinced this really helped, but the pain was so excruciating at times we were willing to try anything

3) ice, ice baby - we would constantly ice his feet to reduce the inflammation. before, after practices and games. randomly when he was at home.

Good luck! Unfortunately, Severs just goes away when it decides to go away.