We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

App

Pomps ·  
PompsPomps  916Members Posts: 916

Can anyone explain what is going on with the App? Is there a way to make it work or are there still kinks?

Posted:
TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2 9.1* - Tensei AV Blue 75TX (D7)
Titleist 915f 15* - Diamana Ltd D+ 80x 43" (D6)
Titleist 915hd 20.5* - Diamana D+ 90s 40.5" (D6)
TaylorMade p790 UDI 2 Iron - Project X Hzrdus Black 85 6.0 (D4; 2* flat)
Srixon z785 4-9 - Nippon Modus 125x; 2* flat 
Srixon z965 PW - Nippon Modus 125s 2* flat
Vokey SM6 F-Grind 51* (D5; 2* flat); Vokey SM7 S-Grind 56* (D5; 2* flat) & TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* (D7; 2* flat) - DG Tour Issue s400
TaylorMade Spider Tour Diamond 33.5"

Answers

• SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ Winnipeg 9678ClubWRX Posts: 9,678

The app is gone. You can delete it from whatever you have it on. It is not coming back. The new format will be/is friendly with smart phones and pads.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • hoselshot82hoselshot82 Major Winner Wisconsin 792Members Posts: 792

Again, I appear the only user that finds it absurd to not have an app

Posted:
  • GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CA 26978Rules Official, Administrator Posts: 26,978

Want can an app do that mobile skin cannot? Why support multiple platforms for a forum? Apps have their place but are not mandatory.

Posted:
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
    BST AD Help
    If you have a general help question, post here:
    GolfWRX Website Help Desk
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North Texas 6597Members Posts: 6,597

@GolfBum82 said:

What specific features do you believe can be accomplished in an app but not in the browser?

An app requires supporting multiple versions, as folks won’t always be updated...less ability to make quick changes on back end the may cause issues with users on various versions of and app...for IOS version, having to deal with Apple and the App Store. I’m sure there are more downsides.

Posted:
  • The_TimmyThe_Timmy Faith is everything! Northern Virginia 699Members Posts: 699

Ref to the WRX app...I have lost everything. I am no longer showing any of my subscriptions or Inbox messages. If I go on a desktop computer, I see it. Do I need to do something?

R,
    Tim

Posted:
    R,
    TimR

#farandsure
    #vetgolf
    #itsmorethanjustagame
    #playlikeachampion

Twitter: @timr_vetgolf
    Instagram: @timr_vetgolf

Driver: TaylorMade M5
    Fairway Wood:  TaylorMade M5 (3W)
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M3 (2H)
    Irons: TaylorMade P790 (4 - AW)
    Wedge (56*): TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 Black
    Wedge (60*): TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 Black
    Putter: TaylorMade MySpyder

Veteran Golfers Association: http://www.vgagolf.org
  • tips09tips09  310Members Posts: 310

The app hasn’t been supported in years. With the recent update it’s made it irrelevant. Just use the mobile site when viewing from something other than a computer

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6X
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    Srixon Z565 3 UST Recoil 125 F4 Prototype
    Srixon U45 23* Nippon SPB X
    Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon SPB X
    Cleveland RTX 3 48* 54* DG S400
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58* DG S400
    Cleveland HB #1
    Srixon Z Star

Advertisement
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker  2336Members Posts: 2,336

Absolutely unfortunate..... The old app, even in its "unsupported" state, was head-and-shoulders above viewing the site from a "mobile browser". I and many others will completely discontinue mobile usage without it, the platform was so simple to use. Thread "load errors" were more tolerable than the mobile skin that's available now.

Posted:

Titleist 915D2 10.5*, Fujikura Pro 70X 43.5"
    Ping G SFT 16*, Matrix 8Q3-X 41.5"
    Ping OG Rapture 2-U, DG XP - R300
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

B330-RX

With the app I was constantly logged in, one click away from 'My Content'/'My Messages'/'Newsfeed'/'BST' etc. Now, I've got to force a password on a mobile browser platform, wait for it to load and have good service to read the threads I have recently accessed. With the app, in poor service areas I could still access much of my recently viewed content in an 'offline' style format. Not only this, but dealing with the 'forward and back' function in the mobile skin doesn't always jive with the mobile browser function of the same type. I spend half my time navigating back to the GolfWRX homepage using the browser address bar. Apps segregate data in a good way, are much more concise, and are completely dedicated to usage within a specified format/boundary. Mobile skin access is like attending a K-12 school, everyone gets lost in the shuffle, kindergarteners mixing with seniors, mass confusion and very little organization. Having to constantly reload all of the mobile data when I access my web browser slows the whole experience down. The app was great, I hope you seriously consider creating a new one.

Posted:

B330-RX

Clearly you need to spend a little time with the site on a smart phone. I have no problem. GolfWRX is saved as a favourite and one click and I'm on the WRX Forums page. Touch my Avatar and I have instant access to my notifications, bookmarks, profile and messages. Scroll to the bottom and I can access the Discussions and everything else on the desktop site. I find it as easy or easier than the app and it actually works unlike the app which only did some of the time.

Get over it. The app is never coming back.

Posted:
    MCC Align Midsize

I stand by my statement, the app was superior. I guarantee others will agree, but that is no longer up for debate. Maybe once the site is through the full upgrade the mobile navigation will be as seamless, I'll withhold judgement until the site is completely integrated.

Posted:

B330-RX

@A.Princey said:
    I stand by my statement, the app was superior. I guarantee others will agree, but that is no longer up for debate. Maybe once the site is through the full upgrade the mobile navigation will be as seamless, I'll withhold judgement until the site is completely integrated.

Agreed. As far as I can see, they aren't even completed Phase I and there was a reference to Phase II. And since we haven't seen any sponsor ads yet, this is far from done.

Posted:
    MCC Align Midsize

Advertisement

@GolfBum82 said:

I think you either have one or the other. The time to manage 2 separate platforms would be daunting. I'm sure most would want the functionality of the full site over an app that doesn't do what a full site does.

Posted:
    MCC Align Midsize

• PMACGolfPMACGolf  61Members Posts: 61

App Usage was quicker to use and allowed me to find what I need on the app fairly quickly.

RIP GolfWRX mobile app, you will be missed!

Posted:
  • ccupike23ccupike23  95ClubWRX Posts: 95

@Gxgolfer said:
    Want can an app do that mobile skin cannot? Why support multiple platforms for a forum? Apps have their place but are not mandatory.

Hi @gxgolfer, you asked a question that I’m not sure if you’re ready to hear answers from your members. The site is nice but many of the members that I know access Everything buy a phone. Apps are MUCH easier to navigate than a HTML5 site. The bookmarking features were better and when clicking into then out of an ad the app would keep a person at the exact place the were. There are many other advantages of your old app but don’t feel like I need to get into every detail of the differences here. Most all companies have both a wessite and mobile app, which is what most all people are used to using. Amazon and other retailers, all banks (major and regional), social media sites, PayPal, and many others. In my humble opinion, your traffic may be down due to this choice of not creating/supporting an app with this refresh.

I’ve been with you for more than 10 years and will continue to be an active member. I just wanted to voice my opinion which I know many others share.

Erik

Posted:
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6045Members Posts: 6,045

@ccupike23 said:

@Gxgolfer said:

Hi @gxgolfer, you asked a question that I’m not sure if you’re ready to hear answers from your members. The site is nice but many of the members that I know access Everything buy a phone. Apps are MUCH easier to navigate than a HTML5 site. The bookmarking features were better and when clicking into then out of an ad the app would keep a person at the exact place the were. There are many other advantages of your old app but don’t feel like I need to get into every detail of the differences here. Most all companies have both a wessite and mobile app, which is what most all people are used to using. Amazon and other retailers, all banks (major and regional), social media sites, PayPal, and many others. In my humble opinion, your traffic may be down due to this choice of not creating/supporting an app with this refresh.

I’ve been with you for more than 10 years and will continue to be an active member. I just wanted to voice my opinion which I know many others share.

Erik

While I'm no internet expert (far from it) the difference between an "app" and the website is that an app is basically a customized browser. All the browsers (Chrome, Safari, Opera, etc.) work essentially the same way. The site gets the browser's request via URL, collects the information requested, sends back the page and the browser displays it.

The APP does the same thing BUT the app is a set of programs designed specifically for that website. An app for one site cannot display anything from a different website (nor would it even be able to try).

So an app, for this new site, most likely requires a brand new set of software written specifically for it, i.e. done from scratch, to display exactly what the users want to see & how they want to see it. This costs $$$, sometimes (often ?) quite a LOT of it.

The entities you describe have big pockets and IT budgets. Smaller hobby sites like this tend not to have those same financial resources. That's most likely why the WRX App hasn't been supported (i.e. program changes) for 2 years or so as well.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

I used the app a lot, but if I had a choice of using the app or using the full site, I used the full site every time. I've used the new site on my iPhone and I have had no issues. Certainly way better than it was (using the site on a phone) and I can only see it being better once it is 100% up and running.

There are a few sites I prefer to use their app on (eBay, Amazon) and some the app leaves much to be desired. I think it really comes down to how many different things you want to be allowed to do on an app. And if you want it to do a lot of things, you better have really deep pockets to invest in the app and be in it 100%. I'd rather WRX spend their time and money on the full site being great than also trying to run an app and do it poorly.

Posted:
    MCC Align Midsize

Advertisement
  • GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CA 26978Rules Official, Administrator Posts: 26,978

We intend to make a mobile theme that equals or betters any app or mobile.

Please post specific examples and functions with screenshot and device type.

Posted:
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    BST AD Help
  • Scooter McGavineScooter McGavine  293Members Posts: 293

Probably the wrong place to put this, but since the update a couple of weeks ago I have not been able to see any of the topics in the Style and Accessories forum on the app. Is anybody else experiencing the same problem?

Posted:
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXAS 6297Members Posts: 6,297
    Posted:
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec
  • CDMCDM  1895Members Posts: 1,895

Since the monitors are saying the app is gone. How long to fix the site should be the real question?? This is honestly crazy that you have your customers telling you what is wrong with the site. On that note two things since no app is coming.....

When using my phone (IphoneX) all bookmarks are gone. I hit the BELL icon just so I can see IF people have posted in threads I am interested in and it shows like 1/16 of an area you can t scroll without going backwards based on the limited space

Posted:

We should see mobile updates this week and working with developers.

Posted:
    BST AD Help

Advertisement
  • ballpilotballpilot  23Members Posts: 23

@CDM said:
    Since the monitors are saying the app is gone. How long to fix the site should be the real question?? This is honestly crazy that you have your customers telling you what is wrong with the site. On that note two things since no app is coming.....

When using my phone (IphoneX) all bookmarks are gone. I hit the BELL icon just so I can see IF people have posted in threads I am interested in and it shows like 1/16 of an area you can t scroll without going backwards based on the limited space

Does seem odd. I would think the seller of the new platform would have provided direct service staff to GolfWRX to ensure a smooth transition. Time will tell.

Posted:
  • ballpilotballpilot  23Members Posts: 23

Here is what a screen shot looks like on my phone- The Shark is in the background and the green "News" in printed on top of "been" for the Bettinardi piece.

Posted:
  • bobbydazzlewazzlerbobbydazzlewazzler  231Members Posts: 231

Really unfortunate the app is dead now.. the app has been my go to way of reading Golfwrx for the past 4 years and makes my iPhone feel almost redundant without it.. will have a look at the site through my phone browser but i fear it wont provide the same experience. Thanks for enlightening me, thought it was a problem with my phone or my acc had been deleted or something...

Posted:
  • pollock21pollock21  735Members Posts: 735

Apps are overall better for use on mobile phones in every way. All that being said, the new site is functioning pretty well for mobile use. It’s still a bit more cumbersome and not as convenient. I’m a user that prefers apps everywhere possible, others may not.
    I’m hoping that an app returns at some point.

Posted:
    Driver: Ho
    Fairway: 16M2 15* & 18*
    Irons: Ho
    Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 50* PXLZ 6.5, 54* & 60* PXLZ 7.0
    Putter: Scotty Newport 2
  • BB28403BB28403  3883Members Posts: 3,883

The app was working for me before the redesign. And yes now is completely dead. Dunno if some programmer can reconnect it? Apps are handy!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • lopey986lopey986  2329ClubWRX Posts: 2,329

App never worked for larger threads, always "page cannot be found". It's been dead for a long time though it was still partially functional.
    Just save a shortcut to the forums on your phone, it'll be just like clicking an "app" but it'll just open the mobile website which is all that is being worked on now.

Posted:
  • patrickb16patrickb16 Patrick Berube Ontario Canada 16Members Posts: 16

Whats the deal with no iPhone X support on the app? it has been over a year now.

Posted:
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXAS 6297Members Posts: 6,297
    Posted:
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

Advertisement
  • ronsterronster  460Members Posts: 460

I would think they will code a new app using the Vanilla iOS app as a base one day. Right now the focus I assume is to shore up the bugs on the forum.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.