Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Mizuno ST 190 Driver

Comments

• bbfifasbbfifas Members Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭

My ST190 with Tensei White X came in! Only had chance to go to range but had very good results. Tight dispersion with the X flex, never played X before, but it did not seem boardy. Based on my fitting I did with Flight Scope and also my first range session I can say that my ball flight seems much flatter. I'm enjoying the feel of the club and seems to be producing good ball speeds all over the face. I will report back after a using it on the course.

Mizuno St190, 8.5*, Tensei White 70X shaft
    Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
    Taylormade V-Steel 5 wood, stock stiff
    Cobra F7 Hybrid 20* stiff Fuji Pro 75
    Cobra Forged Tec 5-PW, KBS C-taper lite stiff
    Cleveland CBX 50*, 115g DG
    place holder - currently 56* ATV wedge
    Vokey 58M
    Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34"
    Bridegstone Tour BX

• bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,269 ClubWRX

@JimGantz said:
    Got fit for the ST190 w/ Atmos TS Black 6x in sub 40 degree weather and a headwind. It just got delivered last Thursday. Bad weather all weekend, but we're looking at 70s and sunny this weekend. Excited to get it in play in decent conditions.

Great combo

Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Titleist TS3 19 hybrid
    Titleist T200 4-gap
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • aquapigaquapig Members Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

This has become my favorite club in my bag.

After years of using 910 D2, I wasn’t sure i would find anything that matches the feel, sound and performance. This driver has all of those things I loved about my 910, but with more distance.

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

how much more distance? I play a 910 D3 and have tried to replace it many times but nothing out there is worth the $$$. picking up 3-5 yards and spending $500 doesn't compute......if its 20 yards, then I'm thinking the cash might be worth the upgrade.> @aquapig said:

After years of using 910 D2, I wasn’t sure i would find anything that matches the feel, sound and performance. This driver has all of those things I loved about my 910, but with more distance.

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@tsecor said:
    how much more distance? I play a 910 D3 and have tried to replace it many times but nothing out there is worth the $$$. picking up 3-5 yards and spending $500 doesn't compute......if its 20 yards, then I'm thinking the cash might be worth the upgrade.> @aquapig said:

Since COR & whatever the other term for it is (I always forget it) has been maxed out since well before 2010, the only road to more distance, or rather "higher average controllable distance" is maximizing your launch conditions via the shaft & clubface attributes (maximizing forgiveness AND speed OFF of the sweet spot of the FACE of the club).

And those have been improved, IMO, a fair bit since 2010.

My beloved Fusion is on the bench right now because of similar control and ~10 more yards on average. Only played 3 rounds with my new Epic Flas Sub Zero so the extra 10 yards is a little up in the air right now as wind (direction & intensity) and ground conditions are sometimes difficult to assess) so things can change but right now the EFSZ is in the bag.

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

you have me curious now. I'm going to the PGA store to see what this is all about. it looks really nice> @nsxguy said:

@tsecor said:

Since COR & whatever the other term for it is (I always forget it) has been maxed out since well before 2010, the only road to more distance, or rather "higher average controllable distance" is maximizing your launch conditions via the shaft & clubface attributes (maximizing forgiveness AND speed OFF of the sweet spot of the FACE of the club).

My beloved Fusion is on the bench right now because of similar control and ~10 more yards on average. Only played 3 rounds with my new Epic Flas Sub Zero so the extra 10 yards is a little up in the air right now as wind (direction & intensity) and ground conditions are sometimes difficult to assess) so things can change but right now the EFSZ is in the bag.

• mpmz71mpmz71 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

I played my first round with the ST190. I love the sound and feel, but I keep hitting it on the heel. I have a Atmos TS Blue 6S tipped 1/2" and is 1/2" short of stock length. I thought that would help, but still can't find center of face consistently. What could be the cause of that? Poor swing path? Crappy swing in general? Or could it be the shaft?

@tsecor said:
    you have me curious now. I'm going to the PGA store to see what this is all about. it looks really nice> @nsxguy said:

@tsecor said:

ALL of the new drivers, IMO, are as long as any other. The choice is about "What fits ME best ?"

I've written about this is other threads but not all shaft/head combinations are alike. e.g. My Hzrdus Black works fantastically werll with my Fusion (by accident). The H Black did NOt work at all with the EFSZ. When I tried the H Yellow with the EFSZ it worked fabulously well. Of course I had to try it with my Fusion and that combo did NOT work at all.

It's a very time consuming and often frustrating effort to get it right - and I'm still not quite sure as I had excellent results with a few other shafts (Tour AD BB-6, Rogue 100 MSI I/O, and even the Diamana D+).

Also wrote about a ridiculously poor hit that went a ridiculous distance (if you're interested),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18835549#Comment_18835549

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Titleist AVX
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight IowaMembers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’d echo the above post, all of today’s drivers are so close that it’s all about personal preference WHEN YOU’RE PROPERLY FIT.

That’s the key point in today’s age imo :)

Mizuno ST-190G Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno ST-190TS 15* Tensei White 70X
    Mizuno CLK 19* 3 Hybrid Speeder Evo HB 95X
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4-P C-Taper 130X (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno S18 50, 55, 60 C-Taper 130X soft stepped (plus 1/2" 3 up)
    Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,208 ClubWRX

Going to try my trusty Proforce V2 in the head this week.... looking for a little more feel and launch compared to the Atmos TS... Looking forward to more experiences with these drivers... they are super impressive and has been the only thing to bench the G400 so far.

Taylormade M2 9.5* Tensei CK Orange 60s
    Titleist 917f2 15* Diamana S+ 70s 
    Titleist 915h 21*  Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT  SS1x
    Titleist SM5 50/12, 56/10
    Taylormade Spider Tour red 34"

• ProjectX_MizunoProjectX_Mizuno Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

To those who have hit the ST190 did you find it to be more fade or draw bias?

• evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 3, 2019 11:33pm #133

OK thanks cadman88 for the posting pics on this updated site tutorial! Here you go guys sorry for the imagur links earlier...

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX919F 4-9iron Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX919T PW Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• reider69reider69 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProjectX_Mizuno said:

I was fit to 8 degrees and 1 degree toe up and it is neither fade nor draw bias imo. I started out today hitting fades...then hit a few high draws....then my swing got going and I was hitting everything dead straight and long. My last hole today I hit it 315 and with wet conditions there was little to no rollout. In contrast, on the first hole I faded one around 265-270. Conclusion....its all in your swing. Get fit and learn the nuances of your driver/shaft combo. I really like this driver and am super excited to get to know its characteristics better this summer. On a side note, I played a beach course over spring break and some sand got in my head cover and scratched the crown. So dang mad.....does anyone know how to fix scratches on a carbon crown?

Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had mine built to 45” with Atmos black 6x and had a great driving day today. Pretty long but really forgiving.

M5 Kiyoshi Purple
    TM M4 16.5 VA Composites Drago 75
    Epon AF901 19*/22*
    Mizuno 919 Forged or MCFliHi 5, MP69 6-P
    Scratch 1018 53/58
    Xenon Flowneck

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@reider69 said:

@ProjectX_Mizuno said:

I was fit to 8 degrees and 1 degree toe up and it is neither fade nor draw bias imo. I started out today hitting fades...then hit a few high draws....then my swing got going and I was hitting everything dead straight and long. My last hole today I hit it 315 and with wet conditions there was little to no rollout. In contrast, on the first hole I faded one around 265-270. Conclusion....its all in your swing. Get fit and learn the nuances of your driver/shaft combo. I really like this driver and am super excited to get to know its characteristics better this summer. On a side note, I played a beach course over spring break and some sand got in my head cover and scratched the crown. So dang mad.....does anyone know how to fix scratches on a carbon crown?

I couldn't agree more with this post. Well stated.

For the scratch depending on how deep it is:

1) First, use a microfiber wax sponge with some swirl remover (automotive, I like Zymol and Maguire's), let that sit then remove after a few minutes with a clean microfiber tool
    2) Second, use another wax sponge with some auto polish, let sit and remove after a few minutes with a clean microfiber towel
    3) Last, use a finishing wax (Maguire's Gold Class or Nano Wax), let sit for a few minutes and then remove with a clean microfiber towel

Try that first. If its deeper than the clear coat ind into the carbon (which I cant believe with sand), then PM me and I can help with a super high number wet sand).

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Mizuno JPX919F 4-9iron Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX919T PW Nippon SPO S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC

• reider69reider69 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@evoviiiyou said:

@reider69 said:

@ProjectX_Mizuno said:

I couldn't agree more with this post. Well stated.

For the scratch depending on how deep it is:

1) First, use a microfiber wax sponge with some swirl remover (automotive, I like Zymol and Maguire's), let that sit then remove after a few minutes with a clean microfiber tool
    2) Second, use another wax sponge with some auto polish, let sit and remove after a few minutes with a clean microfiber towel
    3) Last, use a finishing wax (Maguire's Gold Class or Nano Wax), let sit for a few minutes and then remove with a clean microfiber towel

Try that first. If its deeper than the clear coat ind into the carbon (which I cant believe with sand), then PM me and I can help with a super high number wet sand).

Would P21s polishing soap work? It is a German metal polisher that makes my irons look brand new after I use it. Very fine grain polisher.

Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto

If anybody's interested in a used one of these (NOT mine, just in a store I know) shoot me a message.

It's $349. Atmos Black (?) 6S Tour Spec. The shaft is white with 3 different shades of grey bubbles on the shaft just under the grip. I believe, but am not sure, that is an Atmos BLACK shaft.

The face is fine with some ballmarks. The crown has 2 small scratches that aren't really noticeable at address unless you go trying to find them.

LMK

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Titleist AVX
  • TheBear95TheBear95 Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 4, 2019 2:59am #139

I've had my ST190 for a bit now, but I was just able to hit it recently as I'm rehabbing from a broken arm.

Can't judge it from a performance standpoint as I'm far from being 100%, but the acoustics are perfect. The sound definitely matches the look. Extremely pleasing.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Titleist 917 F3 16.5*
    Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC/SC (4-PW)
    Scratch FIT 52*, 58*
    Kingston KP1 GSS
  • NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@evoviiiyou said:
    OK thanks cadman88 for the posting pics on this updated site tutorial! Here you go guys sorry for the imagur links earlier...

That speeder tr is really good. I have the 569 in x and it works well for me.

M5 Kiyoshi Purple
    TM M4 16.5 VA Composites Drago 75
    Epon AF901 19*/22*
    Mizuno 919 Forged or MCFliHi 5, MP69 6-P
    Scratch 1018 53/58
    Xenon Flowneck

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......
  • bbfifasbbfifas Members Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question about the ST190 hosel and the upright adjusting. Can you adjust -1 loft and +1 upright? Or can you only change the upright setting with the stock loft?

Mizuno St190, 8.5*, Tensei White 70X shaft
    Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
    Taylormade V-Steel 5 wood, stock stiff
    Cobra F7 Hybrid 20* stiff Fuji Pro 75
    Cobra Forged Tec 5-PW, KBS C-taper lite stiff
    Cleveland CBX 50*, 115g DG
    place holder - currently 56* ATV wedge
    Vokey 58M
    Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34"
    Bridegstone Tour BX

It will change loft in upright too.

Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

great post. I read you other post and found it to be REAL as it can get. I think we are in the same boat as far as distances go....sometime it seems I can hit it 275 by the course markings, but when I get on a track man it says different. thanks> @nsxguy said:

@tsecor said:

@tsecor said:

ALL of the new drivers, IMO, are as long as any other. The choice is about "What fits ME best ?"

I've written about this is other threads but not all shaft/head combinations are alike. e.g. My Hzrdus Black works fantastically werll with my Fusion (by accident). The H Black did NOt work at all with the EFSZ. When I tried the H Yellow with the EFSZ it worked fabulously well. Of course I had to try it with my Fusion and that combo did NOT work at all.

It's a very time consuming and often frustrating effort to get it right - and I'm still not quite sure as I had excellent results with a few other shafts (Tour AD BB-6, Rogue 100 MSI I/O, and even the Diamana D+).

Also wrote about a ridiculously poor hit that went a ridiculous distance (if you're interested),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18835549#Comment_18835549

• blackngold_bloodblackngold_blood Golf Ball Whacker Guy Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bbfifas said:
    Question about the ST190 hosel and the upright adjusting. Can you adjust -1 loft and +1 upright? Or can you only change the upright setting with the stock loft?

I was sent this adjustment chart from Mizuno costumer service. I was also told the adapters are the same as before just labeled differently. They also said that every loft adjustment will affect lie angle and face angle.

WITB

Work in progress and will be updated after St. Andrews!!

Ball: OnCore Elixr
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tried the G today with my current gamer shaft Devotion 7. I was hoping it was going to be great as I heard stories about it and I had previously hit it at a driving range with a tensei white. Unfortunately the ball speeds weren’t there and spin was just okay. It couldn’t keep up with my M3 tour with the devotion shaft. It is also a very heavy head at an E swing weight.

• blackngold_bloodblackngold_blood Golf Ball Whacker Guy Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gsrjc said:
    Tried the G today with my current gamer shaft Devotion 7. I was hoping it was going to be great as I heard stories about it and I had previously hit it at a driving range with a tensei white. Unfortunately the ball speeds weren’t there and spin was just okay. It couldn’t keep up with my M3 tour with the devotion shaft. It is also a very heavy head at an E swing weight.

I'm guessing that the devotion shaft just pairs better with the m3 than the st190g for you. I am never a big fan of using the same shaft in different heads for comparison.

WITB

Work in progress and will be updated after St. Andrews!!

Ball: OnCore Elixr
  • gsrjcgsrjc TOC Members Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 5, 2019 1:42am #148

@blackngold_blood said:

@gsrjc said:

I'm guessing that the devotion shaft just pairs better with the m3 than the st190g for you. I am never a big fan of using the same shaft in different heads for comparison.

I tried other shafts at club champion also and just couldn’t get the ball speed to work out. The head feels good I’ll give it that and I really wanted it to work but just didn’t happen. Forgiveness was good and sound was nice.

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,208 ClubWRX

Not going to work for everyone, but good that you do have something that does. FWIW, I weighed the 190G and my G400 heads, the 190G was around 198g and the Ping at 201G. I was surprised as I felt the 190 felt heavier in my hands, I was sure it would be the heavier of the two...

Paired it with a Proforce V2 today and the feel is much improved for me over the Atmos. I will see how it actually performs on the course tomorrow.

Taylormade M2 9.5* Tensei CK Orange 60s
    Titleist 917f2 15* Diamana S+ 70s 
    Titleist 915h 21*  Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT  SS1x
    Titleist SM5 50/12, 56/10
    Taylormade Spider Tour red 34"

• grumpy84grumpy84 Members Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

So tired of waiting for mine to come in...ordered almost 2 months ago. Supposedly it's on a truck somewhere en route.

That sucks. Mine was 4 days after ordering on a Saturday. :(

Mizuno TP Mills #5
    Titleist Pro V1 X

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file