2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

To Those playing Multiple Ball Brands

RainShadow

A question inspired by the "Your ball 2019?" thread answers:

Do you keep track of your scores with each brand of ball?

I'm just curious, since most tour type balls have similar characteristics regardless of brand, How do you decide which ball works better for you?

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have given up on searching for a new ball in 2019 and I've gone back to sale ProV1's. I've tried almost all of them and I give up. Went back to purchasing previous year ProV1's on sale. I'm cool with paying under $38 for a box.

For me, its softness and feel around the green, spin, distance/ball flight off the tee and irons, cover durability and price. Titleist checks all those boxes for ME personally, but only at sale prices. I'm obviously just more comfortable with the ProV1 and I really like it all around. If they could improve ANYTHING, it would be durability. They would be worth the $50 if they held up a little better with wedges and scuffs. I would love to get 3-4 rounds out of a ball.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @LUMA said:

> I have given up on searching for a new ball in 2019 and I've gone back to sale ProV1's. I've tried almost all of them and I give up. Went back to purchasing previous year ProV1's on sale. I'm cool with paying under $38 for a box.

>

> For me, its softness and feel around the green, spin, distance/ball flight off the tee and irons, cover durability and price. Titleist checks all those boxes for ME personally, but only at sale prices. I'm obviously just more comfortable with the ProV1 and I really like it all around. If they could improve ANYTHING, it would be durability. They would be worth the $50 if they held up a little better with wedges and scuffs. I would love to get 3-4 rounds out of a ball.

I personally love the FG Tour from Wilson Staff, but they are difficult to find. I've settled mostly on Chrome Soft (on sale)

I like the feel of ProV1's most years, but they spin a bit too much for me, although may help with the hard greens down here in the desert SW.

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

If the ProV is spinning too much, have you had a go with the AVX? I like that ball too, but not enough spin and launch angle for *ME*.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist 716 MB PW-6i / T100 4i-5i Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @LUMA said:

> If the ProV is spinning too much, have you had a go with the AVX? I like that ball too, but not enough spin and launch angle for *ME*.

I was concerned the AVX wouldn't spin enough around the greens.

The things I like about the FG Tour are: Soft feel off all clubs, Great Greenside feel and control ( Spin) , good spin off mid/short irons and putt's like a dream. Chrome Soft is close, but would like a bit more spin on short to mid irons shots.

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

> @RainShadow said:

> I was concerned the AVX wouldn't spin enough around the greens.

> The things I like about the FG Tour are: Soft feel off all clubs, Great Greenside feel and control ( Spin) , good spin off mid/short irons and putt's like a dream. Chrome Soft is close, but would like a bit more spin on short to mid irons shots.

I like the FG Tour as well, but they're often hard to find (even online). Plus, they are still pretty expensive. I also like the Q-Star Tour and Wilson Duo U/Duo Pro, but they do lose quite a bit of spin off the irons (similar to the AVX). It's not a huge deal, but I seem much more likely to get fliers with them. I loved the original Chromesoft, but have liked each newer version less. That plus the price hike turned me off on it. I recently tried the Cut Blue, and just thought it sounded too hard and clicky. I've got some of the new Mizuno RB Tour coming today, and plan to try them soon.

To be honest, I don't find that much difference between any of the Urethane covered balls around the greens. My strike is more variable than the spin between the balls. As long as I like the feel of putting and chipping with them, I could play most of them. The big thing that I do notice is that the more budget Urethane balls (except Cut) tend to spin about 1000RPM less off full iron and wedge shots. That can gain me a few yards of distance, and/or generate a flier on occasion. But not something that really worries me when I play.

My game does not warrant a tour ball but I do prefer a softer, lower compression ball. I can play a number of golf balls but at times I chooses a specific ball. For example, if the greens are a bit fast I like the DT Trusoft; if the course is soft I like a ball like the Supersoft or Softfli since I can carry and roll them further. My needs are fairly simple due to the caliber of my game.

> @arbeck said:

> To be honest, I don't find that much difference between any of the Urethane covered balls around the greens. My strike is more variable than the spin between the balls. As long as I like the feel of putting and chipping with them, I could play most of them.

This sums up my feelings on balls in general: as long as it has a urethane cover and isn't too hard I'm good to go. The strike is what determines outcome for me and I've yet to play any urethane tour ball that performed poorly. I usually shoot somewhere in the range of 80 so maybe if I was better I'd have a different opinion.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

ive played a lot of brands to try and figure out which ball i like at the right cost point.

i dont judge a ball by the score of the round, but instead, more about the results of my shots.

like am i getting the usual distance, how it feels around the green, how it feels of my driver, wedges, and irons.

ive recently settled on the Titleist Tour soft but i have tons of balls ive bought the last couple years that i need to make my way through. i did like the prov1 but its too expensive. i do wish the Tour Soft was a bit less.

if i am playing a difficult and narrow course, i will go to the Bridgestone e6 soft.

i did like the snell MTB black when it was on sale but at regular price, i prefer the Tour Soft.

but yeah, its less about the round score for me than it is about how the ball plays.

I've probably got 10 different balls in the basement where I store my golf gear. I was practicing putting indoors yesterday and comparing my gamer Snell MTB Black against a Bridgestone e12 Soft. Interesting to note that you could easily tell that the e12 was softer off the putter face. One thing that I really liked about the e12 was that it was much easier to lag putts than with the MTB. Not sure if this was a combination of the putter I was using and the ball or just the ball. I'm going to compare these two tomorrow when I play. Curious whether a softer ball, as far as compression goes, will give me more distance without affecting performance around the green.

Normally use 2 balls. Windy days AVX; quiet days TP5.

I have used PV1 and X but not the 2019 ver.

There is not a whole lot of difference for me between all the top urethane balls for me to latch on to one and say "this is it".

If the Srixon was a little softer I would like to play that, however I find them too hard. And Q-Star Tour launches too high for my liking.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

> @RainShadow said:

> A question inspired by the "Your ball 2019?" thread answers:

> Do you keep track of your scores with each brand of ball?

> I'm just curious, since most tour type balls have similar characteristics regardless of brand, How do you decide which ball works better for you?

>

>

This is actually a great suggestion. I usually play Pro V1’s but like playing different balls when someone gives me some or there’s some on sale. I’m going to log it this season.

I get out for a lot of practice on the course at our club. Have been trying various balls and really just seeing how they come off the club with different shots. Finally tried the new Project a yesterday. I used to love the "seamed" old Project a. After trying different balls for about 6 months I finally figured the ball that consistently performs the best for me is the Z Star. I will probably try the new Snell ball this year. But, other than that, I'm putting boxes of Z Star on the shelf in my home office... Most of my time on the course is not keeping score, but working and experimenting. (I'm an engineer and a geek)

I've tried basically all of the Pro V1x equivalents from the major ball brands, and in most cases, I see no difference in performance. The current exception is the TP5x, which I found does not spin enough around the greens for me. I basically use what I can get for around $30/dozen. My current stock consists mainly of the Tour B X and the Tour Preferred X, which I loved, and which was why I was very disappointed when I tried the TP5x. But I can easily play the Pro V1x, Chrome Soft X, Z-Star X, and I don't notice any difference in how I score.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I currently have 4 different balls in my shag bag for testing.

Snell MTB Black

Bridgestone Tour B RX (my current gamer)

Bridgestone e12 soft

Callaway ERC

I've played the ERC on a couple of practice holes previously and not been impressed, but I want to test it again by comparing it in some practice sessions - mostly short game stuff around the green and putting.

I watched a video last night where a guy was comparing a Srixon Z Star to two really cheap balls. Off the driver, they were 1 yard apart. Long irons were very similar in distance except for the spin. One of the cheap balls was within 800 rpm of the Srixon and one had dropped off quite a bit. Distance differences was negligible. Putting and chipping were not significant either.

After watching this video, I'm not expecting to see much difference between these balls so I'm going to go with the one that just gives me that warm fuzzy feeling,.

> @arbeck said:

> > @BB28403 said:

> > How are balls hard to find? Order them online

>

> Try finding the 2019 FG Tour even online. It's not that easy. You might think you're getting the 2019 ball but then realize you're paying full price for the older model.

> @arbeck said:

> > @BB28403 said:

> > How are balls hard to find? Order them online

>

> Try finding the 2019 FG Tour even online. It's not that easy. You might think you're getting the 2019 ball but then realize you're paying full price for the older model

What’s the difference in the 2? How do you tell? I’m up for a challenge lol..

I can play pretty much any urethane covered ball, once I play a few holes to know how it spins. I recently switched to Vice Pro as the performance is close enough to on par with CS-X that I usually play to not be able to justify the price of the CS-X.

I've tried pretty much every major and some minor brand 'tour' balls, and go with what works best in the wind and feels the best to me.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I've found that I like lower compression balls with urethane covers (eg, Q Star Tour, Project A, Chrome Soft). Once I figured that out, I decided to stock up on the best deal, which at the time was the Q Star Tour performance packs that came to ~$16/doz. I think that sticking with one ball that works well for you, whether or not it is the absolute best ball for you, is a good idea as you get familiar with how the ball performs which leads to consistency. This also frees up some time to work on more important aspects of your game (ie, short game).

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> I've found that I like lower compression balls with urethane covers (eg, Q Star Tour, Project A, Chrome Soft). Once I figured that out, I decided to stock up on the best deal, which at the time was the Q Star Tour performance packs that came to ~$16/doz. I think that sticking with one ball that works well for you, whether or not it is the absolute best ball for you, is a good idea as you get familiar with how the ball performs which leads to consistency. This also frees up some time to work on more important aspects of your game (ie, short game).

Yeah, the Q Star Tour is a great ball.

> @tsecor said:

> bring back the TM Lethal.....best ball ever invented

TP Red LDP was TM's best ball IMO. Didn't really like the Lethal that much. Each to their own :-)

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I intend to work through my back stock of balls I've collected over the past couple years when i wanted to try stuff but get the deals of buy 3 get 1. My goal for this year is to not buy any new balls and get through the ones i have and then in future years buy and play the same ball all year to see what the consistency of the ball can do for me.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade My Spider Tour Stability Carbon

Taylormade TP5X 2024

> @GSDriver said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > bring back the TM Lethal.....best ball ever invented

>

> TP Red LDP was TM's best ball IMO. Didn't really like the Lethal that much. Each to their own :-)

TP Black LDP was my favorite ball of all time.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade My Spider Tour Stability Carbon

Taylormade TP5X 2024

> @n_rones said:

> > @GSDriver said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > bring back the TM Lethal.....best ball ever invented

> >

> > TP Red LDP was TM's best ball IMO. Didn't really like the Lethal that much. Each to their own :-)

>

> TP Black LDP was my favorite ball of all time.

I liked the TP Red LDP over the black, because it didn't spin quite as much for me, so it was longer and still great around the greens.

I was almost 10 years younger then, too. LOL

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58