2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro Series.

vanya

> @rxk9fan said:

> > @dmeeksDC said:

> > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > @IamMarkMac said:

> > > > QQ: The Pros apparently are the same lofts as the Hot Metal. Does this mean they're supposed to go the same distance?

> > >

> > > The couple side by side tests I’ve seen on YouTube or read online put distance neck and neck between the regular HM and the Pro model.

> > >

> > Everything I’ve seen says the HM may be ever so slightly longer than the HM Pro — like 1-2 yards —owing to a slightly deeper COG that boosts launch, but not much difference. And the Forged is only slightly behind either of them, but is a smaller head and therefore deemed to be a little less forgiving. May or may not be true for any given player. Forged could cost you a little more on mishits, but it does have a CNC reverse-milled cavity so it has more tech than the 900 version, which I thought was pretty forgiving. Probably not noticeable except in the 919 Forged long irons vs the HM or HM Pros.

> >

> > For me it would be all about the Forged vs the HM Pro. The Forged is visibly more compact, but not in a major way. They all look very playable. The offset in the HM long irons is pretty notiiceable but probably helps most players. It looks fine to me in the Forged or the HM Pro. I have played Ping i200 and I believe it is higher offset. But I found what I noticed in a store faded quickly on the golf course. Seemed to make the i200 4-5 irons really easy to launch so I don’t worry about offset too much unless it is really extreme.

>

> I have looked at these a couple of times side by side and can't agree that the forged is more compact than the HMP. To my eye the HMP was visibly more compact than the forged, with the forged blade being longer. I really want to like the forged but I just can't get use to looking at a club that long. Just like the Bridgestone J40 DPC, great club but too long for my eyes.

That’s interesting. Someone should measure them. I did not see much difference between the HM and the HMP besides less offset in the HMP and it was a bit more compact, not a massive difference to me. But I thought the overall shape of the forged looked smaller than either one.

I actually like the look of the Forged more than the Hot Metals. I’d need to get another good look at the Forged vs the HM Pro. I have only seen the HM Pro once and I thought it looked good. The HM did look a little longish heel to toe. Out on the course I probably would not notice. Always a fine line to get that right. I also dont like really long heel to toe looks, but I do want enough length so it does not look intimidating.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Mizuno gives you the measurements.

https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Dang, I was just plain wrong then!! My bad...and my old eyes :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

> @JDMRN81 said:

> > @noodle3872 said:

> > Mizuno gives you the measurements.

> > https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

> Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

>

>

I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

> @"hd.softail" said:

> > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > Mizuno gives you the measurements.

> > > https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

> > Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

> >

> >

>

> I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

I’ve never had issues with how my irons have performed based off the offset. It’s honestly the last thing I look at when considering irons.

> @JDMRN81 said:

> > @"hd.softail" said:

> > > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > Mizuno gives you the measurements.

> > > > https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

> > > Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

>

> I’ve never had issues with how my irons have performed based off the offset. It’s honestly the last thing I look at when considering irons.

Fair point. I hit the HM Pro quite a bit and really like the performance. I'm a huge Mizuno fan, currently play Miz irons. The HM Pro just doesn't fit my eye but I'm sure they will look good to many. Can't argue they are great performing irons though.

> @"hd.softail" said:

> > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > Mizuno gives you the measurements.

> > > https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

> > Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

> >

> >

>

> I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

The horse is long dead! Mizuno had the HMP in the works from the beginning. The fact they are being played in the long irons by Tour guys is a happy outcome for Mizuno. Arguably, the Forged fills the forged distance players spot in the line-up. Mizuno clearly wanted a player distance CAST club to go up against their competitors’.

P790 6i has 0.118” of offset with a 79 mm blade length.

HM Pro 6i has 0.122” of offset with a 81.2 mm blade length.

919F 6i has 0.142” of offset with a 80.1 mm blade length.

The offset and blade length differences are so small. P790 is bulbous looking from the back to me in comparison to the Mizuno clubs.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

off set only becomes an issue for most players in the long irons. as long as the offset isn't too outrageous ie callaway rogue x, i never heard of anyone picking a set of long irons based on offset. performance, top line and sole interaction seems to trump on how much offset a particular long iron might have.

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @"hd.softail" said:

> > > @JDMRN81 said:

> > > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > Mizuno gives you the measurements.

> > > > https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

> > > Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

>

> The horse is long dead! Mizuno had the HMP in the works from the beginning. The fact they are being played in the long irons by Tour guys is a happy outcome for Mizuno. Arguably, the Forged fills the forged distance players spot in the line-up. Mizuno clearly wanted a player distance CAST club to go up against their competitors’.

>

> P790 6i has 0.118” of offset with a 79 mm blade length.

> HM Pro 6i has 0.122” of offset with a 81.2 mm blade length.

> 919F 6i has 0.142” of offset with a 80.1 mm blade length.

>

> The offset and blade length differences are so small. P790 is bulbous looking from the back to me in comparison to the Mizuno clubs.

>

>

Other comps:

i210 6i has 0.12 offset

i500 6i has 0.10 offset

I'm finding the HMP longer and a bit easier to hit than the i210, I didn't like the feel of the i500, do like the HMP so far.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Posted this in another thread but I just ordered the HMP with the C Taper Lite X flex shaft and I am just a wee bit excited about it.

My iron shots are draws when hit well and hooks when not hit well...which is most of the time. Then of course there's the odd push when I am trying not to hook it. I have literally spent hours and hours hitting everything in Rodger Dunn's inventory and its the same thing over and over. Out of 10 balls maybe 2 or 3 would find the green and the rest would be way left of target.

I was fitted into the these and was really surprised when the Shaft Optimizer suggested a X flex if I wanted a lighter weight shaft and was even more surprised when the fitter put on a X flex shaft and I was repeatedly hitting the green 180 yards out.

I hope to god this works out for me.

> @Tizod said:

> Posted this in another thread but I just ordered the HMP with the C Taper Lite X flex shaft and I am just a wee bit excited about it.

> I was fitted into the these and was really surprised when the Shaft Optimizer suggested a X flex if I wanted a lighter weight shaft and was even more surprised when the fitter put on a X flex shaft and I was repeatedly hitting the green 180 yards out.

> I hope to god this works out for me.

Congrats. Sounds great. I like that shaft. What is your SS? Always like to know for certain shafts that I like. Thanks

> @dmeeksDC said:

> Congrats. Sounds great. I like that shaft. What is your SS? Always like to know for certain shafts that I like. Thanks

>

>

It's in the mid 80s with a 7 iron but I am not really convinced anymore that SS is the be all, end all. My driver SS is in the 90s and I've always been told that, based on my SS I could go with either S or R but my transition, especially with my irons, is very quick and my right hand gets too active closing down the face.

At least this is what I have been told by a number of people I have taken lessons from or have had look at my swing.

I've picked up a few X shaft clubs here and there in the past and always felt they were a bit too heavy and too stiff but it never occurred to me to consider going with a lighter weighted shaft with an X flex.

• Like 1

> @Tizod said:

> > @dmeeksDC said:

>

> > Congrats. Sounds great. I like that shaft. What is your SS? Always like to know for certain shafts that I like. Thanks

> >

> >

>

> It's in the mid 80s with a 7 iron but I am not really convinced anymore that SS is the be all, end all. My driver SS is in the 90s and I've always been told that, based on my SS I could go with either S or R but my transition, especially with my irons, is very quick and my right hand gets too active closing down the face.

> At least this is what I have been told by a number of people I have taken lessons from or have had look at my swing.

> I've picked up a few X shaft clubs here and there in the past and always felt they were a bit too heavy and too stiff but it never occurred to me to consider going with a lighter weighted shaft with an X flex.

You got good advice. Tempo matters a lot. And a 115g X flex is not like a 130g X flex. I was just curious. I find the CTL X flex to be quite playable. I soft-stepped them once in a set of 965’s and liked it a lot. Precise performer for me.

Just for those reading and looking for a comparison to i500s. I have them both in hand. I was custom fit for both. Using the Mizuno shaft analyzer I fit into CTLite X or PX 6.0. Since I had PX in the Pings, I decided to try CTL in the Mizunos. Based on looks, I would give a slight nod to the Pings. They seem a little more sleek. Feel is hands down to the HMPs. Sound also goes to the HMP. On performance, I would give the nod to the HMP too. The shafts are different so that could be a major contributor but the HMPs launch higher, spin a bit more, hold greens a bit better and seem more forgiving from the limited time I have had with them. The HMP do not seem as powerful and I could chalk that up to sound but even with a higher spinier shot, the HMP are probably a touch longer through the set. The extra spin makes it a good bit easier for me to work the HMPs as well. For those on the fence with the Gap wedge, I love the set wedge. The look isn't as bad as many make it seem. I used some black Testors paint and filled the running bird and the numbers on the bottom. Looks like it matches the set and the performance is very nice.

> @dmeeksDC said:

> > @Tizod said:

> > > @dmeeksDC said:

> >

> > > Congrats. Sounds great. I like that shaft. What is your SS? Always like to know for certain shafts that I like. Thanks

> > >

> > >

> >

> > It's in the mid 80s with a 7 iron but I am not really convinced anymore that SS is the be all, end all. My driver SS is in the 90s and I've always been told that, based on my SS I could go with either S or R but my transition, especially with my irons, is very quick and my right hand gets too active closing down the face.

> > At least this is what I have been told by a number of people I have taken lessons from or have had look at my swing.

> > I've picked up a few X shaft clubs here and there in the past and always felt they were a bit too heavy and too stiff but it never occurred to me to consider going with a lighter weighted shaft with an X flex.

>

> You got good advice. Tempo matters a lot. And a 115g X flex is not like a 130g X flex. I was just curious. I find the CTL X flex to be quite playable. I soft-stepped them once in a set of 965’s and liked it a lot. Precise performer for me.

On the flip side of this I have a 100 mph 7 iron swing and was fitted to CTX. I bought a set of 900 forged off the bay with CTLX and love this shaft. I do play overlength so that is a consideration. I also like to hit the ball with my hands and try to keep my body and legs mostly quiet so a lighter shaft that is xstiff is perfect for me. I think players really need to try a plethora of shafts and see what works best. I think a lot of people would be surprised at the results. I completely lucked my way into CTLX as I would never be fitted to a light shaft with my speed.

Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

Wgy > @nostatic said:

> Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

>

> Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

Why would you want to carry a 7 iron 160 yards and "roll out" to 170 yards? Thats 30 feet from the pitch mark! Maybe im misunderstanding your post???

Personally...i like for my 7 iron to stop within a foot of the pitch mark.

> @indianalawnguy said:

> Wgy > @nostatic said:

> > Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

> >

> > Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

>

> Why would you want to carry a 7 iron 160 yards and "roll out" to 170 yards? Thats 30 feet from the pitch mark! Maybe im misunderstanding your post???

> Personally...i like for my 7 iron to stop within a foot of the pitch mark.

Thats on a sim, and I find it tends to exaggerate the roll. Also I hit a bunch of shots, a couple crept out to 170, for those the carry was closer to 165. I'll have a better idea when I get it out on the course again tomorrow. I'm also still in the midst of a major swing change, so there are a bunch of details to iron out. Right now on my local course I can't stop a wedge within a foot of the pitch mark - I don't think they've watered since the last rain.

> @nostatic said:

> > @indianalawnguy said:

> > Wgy > @nostatic said:

> > > Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

> > >

> > > Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

> >

> > Why would you want to carry a 7 iron 160 yards and "roll out" to 170 yards? Thats 30 feet from the pitch mark! Maybe im misunderstanding your post???

> > Personally...i like for my 7 iron to stop within a foot of the pitch mark.

>

> Thats on a sim, and I find it tends to exaggerate the roll. Also I hit a bunch of shots, a couple crept out to 170, for those the carry was closer to 165. I'll have a better idea when I get it out on the course again tomorrow. I'm also still in the midst of a major swing change, so there are a bunch of details to iron out. Right now on my local course I can't stop a wedge within a foot of the pitch mark - I don't think they've watered since the last rain.

The sim ive been on this winter exagerates the roll out too. Here in the midwest we are just getting on the course for the first time since winter and if you hit it high enough the ball will just embed in its own pitch mark! Ive always been a pretty high spin player, but have noticed that the players distance irons like the HMP and i500 as well as p790 just dont spin very much!

> @indianalawnguy said:

> > @nostatic said:

> > > @indianalawnguy said:

> > > Wgy > @nostatic said:

> > > > Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

> > > >

> > > > Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

> > >

> > > Why would you want to carry a 7 iron 160 yards and "roll out" to 170 yards? Thats 30 feet from the pitch mark! Maybe im misunderstanding your post???

> > > Personally...i like for my 7 iron to stop within a foot of the pitch mark.

> >

> > Thats on a sim, and I find it tends to exaggerate the roll. Also I hit a bunch of shots, a couple crept out to 170, for those the carry was closer to 165. I'll have a better idea when I get it out on the course again tomorrow. I'm also still in the midst of a major swing change, so there are a bunch of details to iron out. Right now on my local course I can't stop a wedge within a foot of the pitch mark - I don't think they've watered since the last rain.

>

> The sim ive been on this winter exagerates the roll out too. Here in the midwest we are just getting on the course for the first time since winter and if you hit it high enough the ball will just embed in its own pitch mark! Ive always been a pretty high spin player, but have noticed that the players distance irons like the HMP and i500 as well as p790 just dont spin very much!

I agree the hotter clubs tend to have spin numbers that are down. That said, some tend to launch higher and have a higher descent angle so that makes up some of it. I'm just starting to put the HMPs into play so I'll see how it goes, but mostly it is looking like I can go a club down from where I am with the i210s (perhaps expected with the stronger loft), and it seems like I can get away with a bit worse strike with the HMP. Or for whatever reason I just think I can hit it better. I'll know better once the rest of the short irons show up.

I month ago I was plugging shots in the fairways and sometimes on the greens. Now they are bouncing and rolling out...and out...and out. By May they'll be proper concrete.

> @clp34vmp said:

> I got my set of HM Pro 5 iron-GW about three weeks ago now. Due to weather and a couple of other commitments, I haven't gotten out a ton since I got them. I've had three nine hole rounds and a couple of a range sessions, and I have to say I'm really struggling. I don't think the issue has anything to do with the HM Pros but instead is more likely the shaft that I chose.

>

> As I think I posted on this thread previously, at my fitting I hit the HM Pro and Callaway Apex each with three different shafts: the C Taper Lite, the Dynamic Gold, and the Project X LZ 5.5, all in Stiff. There was really no standout winner amongst that collection as far the Trackman results. All the measurables were in a pretty tight range with both heads combined with all three of the shafts with the exception of the C Taper Lite, where my ball flight apex was about 10' lower with both heads than what I was getting with the others. With no stand-out winner, I ended up opting for what I thought at the time I felt the most comfortable with, and that was the HM Pro with the Project X LZ 5.5 shaft.

>

> Now that I've received the clubs, I've had a tremendously difficult time hitting them, especially the 5-7 irons. As I get to the shorter irons I seem to fare a little bit better, but even there I wouldn't say the performance has been any better than with my old irons, Ping i20's. In trying to pinpoint what exactly the issue is that I'm having with the clubs, I keep coming back to the feel I'm getting from the shaft. It just feels like a brick in my hands. I don't know if it's too stiff (though I've always had stiff shafts in my irons) or too heavy or quite possibly both, but I just can't hit these. I'm hitting a lot of weak fades short and right, and even the shots where I'm making good contact and producing a nice ball flight are pushed to the right a bit. I'm also hitting a ton of shots fat.

>

> For those more knowledgeable than myself, do these results sound like someone hitting a shaft that is either too heavy or too stiff for their swing? Any feedback would be much appreciated. I'm really feeling so bummed about this. I was really looking forward to getting new, fitted irons after quite a while with my old set. Again, I don't think the issue is with the HM Pro at all - I still feel like it should be a perfect head for me. The guys I played with on Friday said I should absolutely go back to the pro who I did the fitting with (who by the way is really a good guy and very knowledgeable so I don't really want to blame him for this situation) and let him know what's happening. The club should have a vested interest in making sure that its members are happy with their purchase, and let's face it it probably does not serve their fitting program well for other members to know that someone had to sell their new clubs online a month or so after they bought them. I will absolutely check in with him, though I wanted to get a couple more rounds in, maybe one full 18 before I do that.

Last year I was fit for a set of P790's with the LZ 5.5. They were launch monitor beasts. They felt great on artificial turf/mats. Was so excited to get them in but what a huge disappointment. They felt like crap on grass. They were a full club shorter than my 1st generation AP1's with r300 shafts. On center hits felt harsh. I can't hit a fade with my irons to save my life but these were short with a baby fade. They just didn't have the same feeling as in the fitting bays. Had them for about 4 weeks trying to get them to work. Screwed up my swing/tempo/mechanics. Went to a couple of demo days to try different shafts but my swing was shot. Ended up selling them. Took a couple of weeks off and went to another demo days. Got fitted for a set of Ping i200s with Dynamic Gold 105 regular shafts. They worked for the rest of the season.

This year, saw the JPX 919 HM and started to like the looks of them more and more. Tried some out on the monitors and numbers looked good. Tried a few shafts but it came down to the Modus 105 and the KBS C-Taper Lite both regular. Loved the feel of the CTL's. Got a chance to hit them outside on mats and the CTL's were balloning. The Modus had good ball flight. Going to wait for demo days to hit them off grass before make a decision whether to get the 919 HMs. I like the i200's but wished they were a little longer.

Made an expensive mistake with the p790 shafts. Did get to hit a P790 with a CTL shaft in it late in the season last year on grass. Felt great. Had good ball flight. Really made me regret my decision in selling the clubs instead of getting them reshafted.

Just back from a semi-slow 9 holes, mid back is tender so I was trying to take it easy. Hit the HMP 7-iron with the LZ Tour graphite 6.0 3x. First was a par 3 playing 150 with a lot of wind. Hit a 3/4 knock-down with the 7i and it landed about 10' in front of the hole on the green, stopped a foot away right on line. Tap-in birdie. Next was another par 3 playing about the same yardage. Hit the same shot, landed on the green and rolled to the fringe. Lipped the putt, easy par. Last hole I was behind a tree with the ball below my feet and about 170 out. Figured I was set up to hit a hook so I took an easy swing trying to bend it around the tree. Sure enough the ball went right then came back left, short of the green by about 10 yards. Got up and down. If I'd hit a few more greens and had some putts drop it would have been a very good (for me) round. So far really liking the combination, looking forward to getting the rest of the shorter irons.

Just took my new Hot Metal Pro 4-PW with Nippon Modus 105 X to the range. Little back story, haven’t golfed routinely in years so rusty is an understatement. Seemed like the forgiveness was there. Could hear the ground still trying to absorb as much water as possible. So a ball a little chunky became really chunky. Overall, I like the size and feel of the clubs. Hit the long irons better than I expected. Trying to figure out the swing and make it more repeatable. Was going to go with the normal Hot Metal but liked the look of the smaller head shape so switched the order to the Pro at the last minute. Don’t feel like it will affect things a whole lot. Couple more trips to the range with the irons and hopefully the Ping woods will come in and we can give the course a shot.

> @DFDLT said:

> Just took my new Hot Metal Pro 4-PW with Nippon Modus 105 X to the range. Little back story, haven’t golfed routinely in years so rusty is an understatement. Seemed like the forgiveness was there. Could hear the ground still trying to absorb as much water as possible. So a ball a little chunky became really chunky. Overall, I like the size and feel of the clubs. Hit the long irons better than I expected. Trying to figure out the swing and make it more repeatable. Was going to go with the normal Hot Metal but liked the look of the smaller head shape so switched the order to the Pro at the last minute. Don’t feel like it will affect things a whole lot. Couple more trips to the range with the irons and hopefully the Ping woods will come in and we can give the course a shot.

That’s a solid return outing. I usually am pretty awful after a long break, but by session two or three I am getting back into it. I agree you will not notice much in way of forgiveness between HM and HMP. More about which one you like to look at and also have confidence in.

I played mine today for the 1st time. Pretty wet out, as it was cart path only. Hit a some good and hot some bad. Had a 170 par 3 into the wind and hit the 6 iron pin high, but left about 45 ft of the pin. Made the birdie putt. Had some that got up into the wind and ballooned on me. They dont feel as good as the 919 forged, but those had modus 105 stiff soft stepped. I look forward to hitting them more. I like the look at address a lot.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Quick update since I've had these in play (C Taper Lite Stiffs) for about a month now. Love them and have gone from being a high 80's / low 90's guy to my last two rounds being an 82 and a 78 (first time breaking 80!).

Now a lot of this is more about fixing my driver issues than anything, but these irons have been great for the jump as well. Love the 5 iron (still get some bad shots with the 4 but like it more than carrying a hybrid for sure -- since hybrids are hook machines or me -- and a lot of that consistency is just my game needing more work in long iron play).

I will say I was on the fence about getting the "set" GW (the generic 919 50 degree wedge) and I'm very happy with it now. Fits the distance and feel perfectly for me down from the set PW before I get to my 54 and 58 degree MD4s.

Still loving mine. Played 18 Friday and 18 today. Between the heads and the shafts I think they've done a fantastic job controlling the trajectory and spin. I haven't had any ballooning issues. The 4 and 5 iron launch on a mid to mid high trajectory and the mid and short irons a nice mid trajectory. Ex. I had 199 yards to flag on a par 5 today with a left to right wind. I hit 4 iron(it's my 190-195 club). Easily got up in the air on a nice trajectory and the wind really didn't move it much. Had 20 feet. The following hole I had a uphill into the wind 182 yard shot on a par 4. Hit the same club, same shot to about 25 feet. Didn't balloon at all. Frankly the 4 and 5 irons are just awesome. The long irons would be great for blend sets by themselves. But I'm happy with the full set. And I find them to be as forgiving a club as I need. Additionally I'm not having any issues stopping the ball. I came out of T-mb so my spin rates are actually a little higher with these. More spin, but lower trajectory than Tmb mid and short irons. Exactly what I was hoping for with a touch more forgiveness.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

• 2 months later...

Really enjoyed the demo with the HMP's today. Feel a hoing event building...

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant