2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What Wilson Staff wedge is worth a buttload?

dcopp7

boudreau-

"Could you post some pictures of the 57.....,"

...Really?

Check Post #5 of this thread.

Original '58s Dynapowers have parallel frost lines perpendicular to the scoring lines, with both the "Fluid Feel" and the arrow ^ stamps on the hosel.

'58 Walter Hagen Ultra-Powered irons and wedges also have the parallel frost lines. (Good Luck finding a set, or the Wedges)

You can get a '58 Staff Dynapower SW remake relatively easily, but...RH Only.

What adds to the mystique of these clubs is they were used by those Staff Professionals as Utility clubs- not part of the set.

Sarazen, Snead, Hagen, Middlecoff, Boros, Casper, Palmer, Berg, Wright..Staff Dynapowers were their personal wedges.

The '57- '60 + many custom DynaPower SW produced later have about 56-58* of loft, a lot of bounce, significant leading edge progression, a full heel, and high swing weights.

They were designed to hit explosion shots.

Today's wedges are practically all multi-purpose clubs - ground frequently to pick shots clean around the greens.

I remember following Arnold Palmer around during a private country club exhibition during the 1960s. He had no lob wedge - only a Wilson DynaPowered SW in his bag. While never in the sand, he hit 2 or 3 explosion type shots from the rough around the greens with it. Got it up and down every time and shot 67.

I used and collected those wedges for many years. I have about 10 of them made for Tour players - also a couple of other brands that are copies of DynaPowers made for Tour players.

With the advent of custom grind lob wedges, I don't know why everyone doesn't carry a DynaPower style SW for bunkers and rough shots around the greens.

Texsport

Could you post some pictures of the 57, 58 & 59? Also give a brief explanation of their differences. I’d like to keep my eye open and try to find one or two of them.

The ‘58 is just a gorgeous piece of club art. The late great Bob Mendralla was interviewed a long time ago and said that Wilson left the arrow hosel stamp out ton the ‘59 model to save costs. There is a pic floating around the internet of Crenshaw’s WITB for the 1994 Masters and he was using the ‘58 reissue. The re-issue has a narrower sole. The Wilson stamping also differs dramatically.

You must excuse me. I don’t mean to insult anyone or create bad feeling. But I do not see anything attractive about these irons. I also have never struck a ball with one. So simply on the aesthetics of the irons they are rather institutional. I will say the bullet back is much more attractive to me and the rope back is rather nice too.

You must excuse me. I don’t mean to insult anyone or create bad feeling. But I do not see anything attractive about these irons. I also have never struck a ball with one. So simply on the aesthetics of the irons they are rather institutional. I will say the bullet back is much more attractive to me and the rope back is rather nice too.

I totally understand where you're coming from on this one. Personally I love the look of the pre-1960 Wilson offerings but I find most of the 2018 irons to be depressingly gaudy and gimmick-laden, with the exception of several of the new blades. I'm pretty sure the list of irons I "dont" like is way longer than the list of the ones I do like. Ha!

All I know is its a damn good thing we all have different tastes or choosing equipment would be very boring indeed. That and GolfWRX wouldn't exist. Whew! That actually made me shudder! Lol

The Wilson (and Hagen) sand wedges from the 70,s were stupidly good out of bunkers

When I was a kid......of course my memory could be ........

I have a 70s era Wilson sand wedge in the bag and it beat out a Spalding Dynamiter, so I'd have to agree.

I like it for all shots inside 85 yards

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

The vintage Wilson DynaPower(ed) SW had swing weights of D-7 or higher generally.

I played all mine with old, heavy DG S-500 shafts.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Was it the grind or the steel used in these wedges that elevated them into rare air?

Are they still relevant today & does any manufacturer offer something similar or a dead-nuts copy?

Interested as I've been playing various iterations of the Wilson FG Tour wedges for many years.

Thanks in advance.

Yep the older Cleveland 588s are a direct copy---- The 588 even had a meaning the 56* was 58 as in 1958 Staff and the other 8 ment 8* of bounce thus the designation 588.

The Cleveland 588 wedges were introduced in May of 1988. That’s how all Cleveland wedges were numbered, by the month and year they were first introduced. So the 485 series were first introduced in April of 1985, the 900 series was first available in September of 2000, and so on.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

That's a fine stash of Wilson goodness you found there. That late 50's Dual at the bottom is making me drool.

Taylormade picked a good idea to copy - Fluid-Feel makes a difference in my opinion. After all, gotta copy something right? It's, uh... the sincerest form of ummmm... oh yeah - flattery. Yeah... flattery. Ha ha

Bighit-

Those Wilson Staff Dynapower Wedge models you show (Sand Wedge, Dual Wedge, Triple Duty) are considered by some of the

best work their company ever did. Ever.

Their translations to the LH models for the Dual Wedge? Triple Duty?

Simple enough- There weren't any.

These were specialty wedges, like the R61 Sandy Andy model. RH Only.

Yes, there are Wilson LH PWs and Sand Wedges from this period, but

Sir Bob Charles won the '63 British Open Championship with a '62 Walter Hagen Haig * Ultra Sand Iron.

Try finding one of those.

• 2 months later...

> @weeicemon said:

> BIG STU wrote:

>

> p3ga wrote:

>

>

>

> Was it the grind or the steel used in these wedges that elevated them into rare air?

>

>

>

> Are they still relevant today & does any manufacturer offer something similar or a dead-nuts copy?

>

>

>

> Interested as I've been playing various iterations of the Wilson FG Tour wedges for many years.

>

>

>

> Thanks in advance.

>

>

>

>

> Yep the older Cleveland 588s are a direct copy---- The 588 even had a meaning the 56* was 58 as in 1958 Staff and the other 8 ment 8* of bounce thus the designation 588.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> The Cleveland 588 wedges were introduced in May of 1988. That’s how all Cleveland wedges were numbered, by the month and year they were first introduced. So the 485 series were first introduced in April of 1985, the 900 series was first available in September of 2000, and so on.

Close. You're right about the year designation, but the first digit doesn't indicate the month, it indicates the design number. The 485 wedge was Clevelands fourth design introduced in 1985. The 588 their fifth design introduced in 1988. The 691 design 6 came out in 1991, etc.

I’m beginning to think the 1958 Wilson Dyna-Powered irons are the finest set ever produced. The feel is incredible, the leading edge relief is perfect, and the weight distribution create the perfect ball flight for me. I also happen to love the look. The text is very mid-century looking and the frosted lines on the face look cool. I thought I was going to be playing my KZG’s as my front line clubs but my 58 Dyna-Powered’s are firmly in the bag.

Now I am looking hard for that elusive 1958 Dyna-Powered Sand Wedge. Want an original to go with my set. I decided to pick up a 1961 Sandy Andy in the meantime.

0zhayckljchd.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

> @rex235 said:

> Deejaid-

> Ben Crenshaw said the '58 Staff Model Dyna-powered Sand Wedge remake is "...just as good as the Original."

> He won the '95 Masters with his '58 Staff Dynapower remake, and you can find those pretty easily, but remember....

> RH Only.

Might need to find a remake then, although I love the vintage leather grips.

I just received a beautiful full set of 1961 Dyna-Powered woods and irons and the irons head shape is quite different than the 58’s. The 58’s are a much more compact blade than the 61’s allowing for a wider sole which I think is what makes the 58’s so easy to play.

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone I’m new here looking for info on a set of clubs I have. Does anyone know anything about my Wilson staff club set. I’ve been trying to get info on them but haven’t been able to get any. It’s a Wilson pay-off full club set. With a driver, 3 wood and 5 wood Something related to Sam Snead! I can only find info on the payoff putter but nothing about the irons and woods.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

> @usp222 said:

> Hello everyone I’m new here looking for info on a set of clubs I have. Does anyone know anything about my Wilson staff club set. I’ve been trying to get info on them but haven’t been able to get any. It’s a Wilson pay-off full club set. With a driver, 3 wood and 5 wood Something related to Sam Snead! I can only find info on the payoff putter but nothing about the irons and woods.

Since it’s a set of woods, irons, and putter it would seem to be one of Wilson’s sporting goods store sets from the 50’s or 60’s. Snead used a Spalding Cash In model putter. Wilson came out with a similar model but couldn’t call it Cash In, hence Payoff.

• 3 weeks later...

6tkz68cskbhy.jpeg

> @bighitlama said:

> https://www.taylorma...lormade-wedges/

Adrenaline rush....thanks for sharing! I have a couple, the top one is a re-make no doubt, but the others all original.

I have a Haig Ultra from about 1967? 1968? 1969?, will post a pic when I find it.

Question: is it sacrilege to redo these - grooves, chrome?

> @rex235 said:

> Lanzador-

> This is the '73-74 Walter Hagen (W/H Crest in circle) Haig Ultra model.

> If a Sand Iron, it's rare as this was one of the best years for Wilson/Walter Hagen.

> Their RH/LH translation was very good for this model.

> Very Nice!

>

>

Yeah, it's a sand iron, black insert at hosel. I always loved the look, heft, and feel of this club - and I really don't know when or where I picked it up (I probably have more wedges than brain cells at this point). Thanks for the update on the year. I played it for a while, and have a particularly very fond memory with it in the early 1990's at Spyglass Hill...hit my 2nd shot fat on 18, but chipped in from about 50 yards, kept it low, thought I went long, but it was uphill and I was (no doubt) playing a Maxfli HT..it stopped, checked, and rolled in! Nice way to finish (in the days when Spyglass was almost affordable ("almost" being the operative word)).

• 1 month later...

Although not as legendary as some you mentioned, the Wilson Triple Duty wedge was a moderately priced workhorse in the 60s and early 70s.

I used it for sand and for short shots greenside, but had trouble with control on longer shots. Circa 1970, I swingweighted my irons and found the TripleD swingweight was about E9! The golf starter suggested I get some metal drilled out. I walked into a machine shop, and it turned out the machinist had played a little golf. He put the wedge face down into a holder, clamped it, and and used precision chuck to drill out four holes about 3/8" apart. He waggled it a couple of times, said it should be good. He only charged me $1 for customizing my wedge. The next day the swingweight machine registered it at D6 - the TripleD became much easier to handle.

When I switched to MacGregor MT irons in 1974, I sold off TripleD along with my old TopFlite Syncrodyned irons. Gone but not forgotten!

SSQSNJHIAVWF.pngOnline file photo of Triple Duty, with blue circles inserted to represent where the holes were drilled to lighten the head.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• 3 years later...