Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Hobos on the Course?

BeerPerHole ·  
BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole  1328Members Posts: 1,328

Curious if anybody else experiences homeless on their courses. We have a large muni course/complex that has a lot of homeless activities surrounding it. They wonder through. They have a pretty good tent city along one of the fairways - you can see them through the trees. The other night there was one watching my son and I practicing on the range, just watching. He opened up and asked if he could hit a couple with my 8-iron. Had a very good swing, this guy. I bought him a beer and chatted. He'd freeze to death where he was before in Tahoe so came down the hill. I think drugs had destroyed his life, he lost custody of his son and was expressing how nice it was that I take my boy out there and play golf with him (kinda sad...). We joined a CC about a year ago. Very nice place - gated, trees, etc. Well, my buddy found a little camp tucked in next to one of our greens yesterday. So, they're moving into a private course, now. Homeless population has exploded here in Cali over the past year - stats indicating a 50% increase, approx.

So, have you had homeless people and/or camps on your courses? I gotta ask...

Posted:

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Ping G400 5-wood
Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

Comments

• BaitkillerBaitkiller  1751Members Posts: 1,751

Not here but in the late 80s the course in Key West had a few that lived off #2 fairway. They would sell you a bread bag of balls for $10.

Posted:
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin  2382Members Posts: 2,382

Well, my husband and I found a dead homeless guy on our course yesterday. Does that count?

Played yesterday afternoon and above the bunker on the first par three, something was lying in the grass. I thought someone had left a jacket behind and walked up to grab it, and it was a man. Called 911, obviously, but he’d been dead for some time.

Not a typical experience, thankfully, but the course did just install new locks to keep people out of the bathrooms.

My guess is that the OP is talking about Haggin Oaks in Sacramento. I’ve seen play stopped there many times because members of the local homeless community are on the course and there have been physical threats.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1 
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? Winnipeg 9619ClubWRX Posts: 9,619

Finding a dead person has got to be unnerving.

Closest I came to homeless people on a course occurred back in the 80’s. Working the late shift, I was called out to the 5th green by a report of a fire. Found two young women setting up camp and had started a campfire just off the 5th green, just on the edge of a bush. They were hitchhiking across Canada and thought this was a good place to camp. I explained that this wasn’t good and they could expect visitors around 6am (Saturday). They moved off the property and set up camp a little ways away.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 28745Members Posts: 28,745

No but we don't have a lot of homeless people here near golf courses, or in general. Not an easy place to live outside given the climate.

I did hit a ball into the woods once and run into a hiker/hunter type guy (think like Tommie Lee Jones in "hunted") , I was just glad he didn't kill me with a homemade knife.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller  1751Members Posts: 1,751

@MtlJeff said:
    No but we don't have a lot of homeless people here near golf courses, or in general. Not an easy place to live outside given the climate.

I did hit a ball into the woods once and run into a hiker/hunter type guy (think like Tommie Lee Jones in "hunted") , I was just glad he didn't kill me with a homemade knife.

I hear banjo music................

Posted:
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole  1328Members Posts: 1,328

@golfgirlrobin said:
    Well, my husband and I found a dead homeless guy on our course yesterday. Does that count?

Played yesterday afternoon and above the bunker on the first par three, something was lying in the grass. I thought someone had left a jacket behind and walked up to grab it, and it was a man. Called 911, obviously, but he’d been dead for some time.

Not a typical experience, thankfully, but the course did just install new locks to keep people out of the bathrooms.

My guess is that the OP is talking about Haggin Oaks in Sacramento. I’ve seen play stopped there many times because members of the local homeless community are on the course and there have been physical threats.

Good lord! Sorry to hear that. PM me about where that happened. You might be right about the course I'm talking about...just maybe.

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

Advertisement
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill  6965Marshals Posts: 6,965

Yes a homeless was tented about 50 yards from our 7th tee for several months.

Posted:
    WITSMB - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • BIG STUBIG STU  11879Members Posts: 11,879

WOW Seriously! that never occured to me. I guess that is because 99% of our courses here have neighborhoods and houses all around them

Posted:

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana R
    Hybrid Old Adams 22* Pro Force Red
    Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex 2 shafts
    SW Mizuno T-10 forged S-400
    LW Cleveland 588 60*
    Putter (for now) Original Standard Acushnet Bullseye

• Steele47Steele47  1480Members Posts: 1,480

I grew up playing at an Air Force Base. There were actually landing lights blinking (always told never look at them) on our 5th hole so obviously the course was situated very near the runway, hangars, planes landing taking off all the time etc.. Lots of open field except for the golf course itself.

Anyway, one morning probably back around 1984ish we had a very early tee time. When we walked off the 3rd green we noticed a junker type car parked amongst the weeds off the beaten path probably 100 yards or so away from us. As timing would have it just as we were making our way to the 4th tee the occupants emerged naked. A man and a woman stood up looking around stretching and then turned to us (must have heard us walking on path.. metal spikes ya know) and immediately got back in the car embarrassed and or laughing possibly. They looked ragged as heck I remember. Probably been drinking drugging etc.. all night. LOL.. Was just so funny as they started up the car proceeding to ramble across the uneven field, the car being no 4X4. The night before they probably thought it was a cool spot with planes landing so close albeit loud as heck.

Posted:
  • tatertottatertot  4608Members Posts: 4,608

Last year in central Iowa, we had a homeless person murder a college golfer on the course.

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Roseburg, OR 1428Members Posts: 1,428

Yep. They sleep in our driving range.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • greggreg  97Members Posts: 97

@golfgirlrobin said:

Wow, that has got to be unnerving. Police interview you, or anything like that?

Posted:
  • 11forgedblades11forgedblades  562Members Posts: 562

Yes. Homeless problem exploded here in Colorado when pot became legal 5 years ago. I know more states have recreational marijuana now, but we've become a destination for the vanquished. We have a problem with them drinking non-potable water on the golf course.

Posted:
    COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
    TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
    COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
    TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
    BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"
  • highergr0undhighergr0und  10187Members Posts: 10,187

Wow... Never really occurred to me this could be a problem. But I can see that with urban sprawl how the woods around a course could be attractive.

Posted:
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, Ohio 814Members Posts: 814

Wasn't there a show about ten years ago on GC about a down-on-his-luck golfer that lived in a drainage pipe, did odd-jobs trying to get his bag out of hock?

Posted:

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player  1498Members Posts: 1,498

Interesting and sad topic. I'm in San Jose for Hockey Nationals. Lots of homeless around here. I can see why. It ain't cheap......
    But for the grace of ......

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GautamaGautama  817Members Posts: 817

Many years ago I was playing with some friends when this guy, probably mid-40s, came walking up out from the trees on the 16th, clearly homeless and half in the bag. He introduced himself and basically said, hi, this will sound strange but I grew up in that house and used to play a lot of junior golf. I was really good. But I'm an alcoholic and have lost everything. Can I hit your driver? Gave him the club and absolutely smoked it. We walked together for the next three holes or so and I let him use my clubs. I wound up really liking him, just incredibly blunt and honest about how he'd ruined his life. Coolest thing that's ever happened to me on a golf course. He shot level par on those three holes.

Posted:
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 28745Members Posts: 28,745

@mizuno player said:
    Interesting and sad topic. I'm in San Jose for Hockey Nationals. Lots of homeless around here. I can see why. It ain't cheap......
    But for the grace of ......

It gets a bit worse as you head north, San Francisco is bad. Portland has camps

I go to San Jose probably 5-6 times a year and I've never noticed it as much as in SF, Portland or Seattle. I imagine golf courses in these areas would deal with this, especially public ones.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • jholzjholz  1464Members Posts: 1,464

If you want to get the homeless off the golf courses, just have about 40% of your population move from the area and abandon their houses. That's what we did in Baltimore. Lots of places for homeless people and junkies to live. In fact, more space opens up every day.

Posted:
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

@ohioglfr said:
    Wasn't there a show about ten years ago on GC about a down-on-his-luck golfer that lived in a drainage pipe, did odd-jobs trying to get his bag out of hock?

Yeah! I never forgot that show. I occasionally wonder what happened to that guy. Sad show...

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

• JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever I will meet you on that field of battle. And, sir, love will win. PA 387Members Posts: 387

@ohioglfr said:

Sounds like the beginnings of a Gary Player story...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • MychMych  2027Members Posts: 2,027

There are a couple courses where I've seen that here in the Houston area. One had people living under the bridges on the course, but there are a few where it is obvious by the types of trash (pizza boxes, bottles, etc) that people are living in the woods in some of the far edges of the course. I've seen a lot of the cone-shaped water cups in the woods also, too deep in for them to be from the players. Unfortunately, I used to spend quite a bit of time looking for my balls in the same areas, so I saw more of the evidence than better golfers probably did.
    It seems to have gotten slightly better at the courses here (or I just spend less time in the woods). A few years ago it was pretty bad.

Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! Iowa 18628ClubWRX Posts: 18,628

@ohioglfr said:

Yes. Mostly fiction and he didn’t really “live” in the pipe. Not a nice person but GC completely overlooked his criminal background in favor of the sham of a story. Domestic terrorism, no contact order violation, 300 day jail sentence other issues related to ex. Went to Puerto Rico, then tried to cash in on his “fame”, was homeless there for a time, then started suing people (not his first frivolous lawsuits experience, sued CNN, lol, for millions, didn’t last long). May still be in Puerto Rico. His ex was a Cosby accuser and Cosby was counting on Burk’s help, lol, in discrediting her and of course that all went south quickly for poor Bill. Burk was just weird. Couldn't feel sorry for him but I still think he was exploited by the guy that came up with the idea for the show, filmed it and misrepresented so much crap in the "documentary" and GC somehow managed to sell out by putting it on air. For many of us, it was still the train wreck we kept watching!

Posted:
    Post edited by Hawkeye77 on
  • Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Akron, OH 107Members Posts: 107

@golfgirlrobin said:

Did you finish the round after that? Not sure how I’d react to finding a dead person on the course then just continuing to play.

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403  3734Members Posts: 3,734

Probably due to a lack of mental health care. We need much better access for people with mental health problems. They just can’t bear the weight needed to perform in society.

Posted:

@BB28403 said:
    Probably due to a lack of mental health care. We need much better access for people with mental health problems. They just can’t bear the weight needed to perform in society.

I agree with this. We, as a nation, have not done a good job with this. If you speak with these people long enough you usually, quickly, see some problems between the ears. I don't make light of it, either. It's very, very sad to see it. We have a regular beggar near our big muni who's a woman. Breaks my heart to see a woman begging by the stoplight like that. She always has a nice smile to give...

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

Advertisement
  • PZeroPZero  11576Members Posts: 11,576

"Homeless population has exploded here in Cali"

I knew it was Cali before I clicked. Your voters are your problem.

Posted:
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport

@PZero said:

Yes. Not to get political...but I am philosophical. Took the family over to play golf south of Reno, NV this weekend. Had a wonderful time. We plan to leave Cali. Don't want to raise my kids here anymore... This was once one of the most incredible places to live...

Posted:

Ping G400 5-wood
    Ping Anser G putter

Snell MTB-X

• Bonneville85308Bonneville85308  1757Members Posts: 1,757

At a certain muni in Phoenix I often see evidence of homeless people living in the large, overgrown wash that runs through the course, but have never saw an actual person in it during daytime.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • PZeroPZero  11576Members Posts: 11,576

@BeerPerHole said:

@PZero said:

Yes. Not to get political...but I am philosophical. Took the family over to play golf south of Reno, NV this weekend. Had a wonderful time. We plan to leave Cali. Don't want to raise my kids here anymore... This was once one of the most incredible places to live...

Get the **** out of there and don't look back.

Unfortunately, a lot of people from Cali are going to NV and it seems many didn't learn their lesson as to why they left Cali.

Posted:
    R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file