Maltby KE4 Tour TC

Popeye64

> @carcharodon1977 said:

> Anyone put the 14g weight in and cut the shaft to 7 iron length like the Cobra one length hybrid? Wondering if the extra 10g added to the head would keep swing weights the same?

7i weight ~ 268g

Replacing the 4g with 14g would only get the 2h-238, 3h-244, 4h-250, and 5h-256. There are other ways to add weight in addition to the 14g weight that would get you there or close, but then you have to factor in the like angle potentially being off unless you were looking to achieve a flat/ter lie. IMO you are much better off buying a SL as it's set up for this purpose from the jump!

• 1 month later...

> @bigmoneyp said:

> Has anyone tried the new KE4 Tour TC Fairways?

Was thinking of getting one of those myself. Not sure about the look of the face cup on the crown though

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

> @MountainGoat said:

> I've got a 17 degree head, and I'm looking for a shaft. Are you guys all using steel? I was thinking for a head of that loft, graphite would be more appropriate. I was thinking Project X Catalyst, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue or Fujikura Vista Pro. Thoughts? Recommendations?

I had tried both a steel and a graphite in the TC hybrid and I thought the graphite paired up better with the head. It's a pretty personal choice much like an iron shaft.

• 8 months later...

Picked up one of the Maltby KE4 Tour TC drivers from Golfworks after following the posts from @Popeye64 and it arrived today. Really impressed with the look of this head. Nice deep face and sits fantastic behind the ball. Fit and finish is flawless and feels as premium as anything out right now. I ordered the pack and am going to shaft it with a Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black HBP X flex. Of course we're about to get 1-3" of snow here in NC today so it may be a little while before I can actually swing it.
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/465/8VDJO42SOWCM.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/178/9X7KAKA595YI.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/918/9TMWCTA9CPAP.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/059/BMEM8L7WDG6C.jpg[/img]

• Like 2

Does anyone have a contact at GW.....reading through the question section on the TC driver and how JimY is explaining the chart is a bit maddening-

"The listed lofts on the chart shown on this page are all measured with the club face in a square position. Where we are listing face angles we are actually listing the direction the adaptor is rotated in the clubhead to get the face to a square position."

LOL, really?

92Y8VIA6619W.jpgSomething is off! And what an odd way to list loft and f.a. in the chart!

I'm the one that asked that question to get that answer from them. It's definitely weird and doesn't make a lot of sense. If they are listing the angle of the adapter is rotated in the club head then change the chart to say that instead of saying face angle. Hella confusing.

Plus, if the clubhead is 1* open at 10 degrees of Loft stock and that is the neutral setting, then the adapter is not angled at all because it's in the neutral position in the club head. Maybe they are saying that if you set the club head down and it sits one degree open then the adapter is angled one degree to the right or open?

Once you figure out what they are listing it makes sense but I’m not sure why they are listing the specs that way. Basically it’s a 9° square head and follows normal hosel adjustments. Adding loft closes the face.

The x.y° spec is basically saying that for 10.5* you would have to rotate the club 1.5° open to be square. In other words, the face is closed.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

It's just an odd way to explain loft and f.a., and the chart is misleading! essentially it's a closed f.a. club in most settings (if you take his explanation at face value). Maybe that's why they have the chart that way.

I'm curious if those who have played it in this thread could comment on how it sits (naturally soled, not rotated) in the various settings!

Visually assessing whether the club face is open or closed in the various settings is very difficult to obtain. If you lay the club on its sole it look like it's open but that's not how it would lay at address.

This is an answer from Jim on the website. The question was how would you set it to draw.

You would put it in the highest loft setting to get the face slightly closed. In the 11* loft setting the face angle would not be 2* open. That is the direction the adaptor is rotated to get to 11* loft. This driver was designed to create different loft angles when the driver is in a square position. Face angle changes are very minor.

So for myself I cant see any difference in face angle with the settings swapped around.

People may be over thinking the chart that is posted. All I know is that the club flat out works for whoever has hit it.

Will GW no longer off any customization without going through the "custom shop" option? I just had TE forged irons delivered with Dynamic Gold. They substituted taper tips for me also at $349. The same setup would cost much more through the "custom shop", $461.36. Put another way I bought them and am happy @ $349. If I had to pay $461 I don't think I would have ordered.

I posted a question about premium paks on the GW club making forum.

Dave

Depending on the iron set you were looking at, this is a 20-50% cost increase over the previous premium Paks. Considering resale it certainly makes a Maltby set much less desirable vs. a big name OEM and I'm sure they will lose business over this. I understand they are in this to make money but dropping that kind of change on customers with no heads up and nothing in-between the "stock" Paks and Custom Shop is a terrible decision.

Maltby was at the top of my list for my next iron set purchase coming very soon but I am certainly going to re-think that now.

So as it pertains to cost increases for my trade account the increase is a minimal. Probably less than 3% on a custom picked order.. full set of clubs.

When you step back and look at it a lot of guys are mixing and matching which wasnt available with previous paks. So now you can really custom build any way you wish.

I see thier point about a vast majority being sold as the standard paks. Most of the premium paks people were doing substitutions. I for one was doing it often. This is costing them more time than anything for the pickers.

I guess it was a bit out of the blue. Took a lot of people by surprise.

I think this is in response to people being able to make the substitutions they want. In the past you could not change the premium paks. Then they got a bit flexible and allowed changes and charged accordingly. This has to be the easiest option for them. Fill in your order online as you see fit. Then hit send.

It would be nice to see a few more 'standard paks' other than one steel and one graphite.

• Like 1

I agree. I have to imagine two of the more popular steel options would be TTDG and KBS Tour. Would be nice to see these offered as club paks but no changes or subsitutions allowed. This would force the customer to choose between ordering that and doing their upgrades (grips I guess) after they receive them or use the custom shop to get what they want.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I may not usually have great timing, but this time I did.

I ordered TE forged 4-GW with Dynamic Gold R300 taper tip shafts soft stepped 1X with 5-GW bent 1* loft weak on 2/14 for $349. The clubs are awesome. The feel/sound is great, I really like the shafts, and I am getting a good launch. I couldn't be happier with the clubs.

If I had access to someone like Popeye or Dave @ Fit2You Golf for a fitting I would go for it and be willing to pay extra, but I don't. So I self fit. I hope these irons are in the bag for years to come and I'm able to play some really good golf by my standards with A+ feel/sound equipment.

Dave

• Like 1

Why not just stick to their guns and not allow substitutions. I could see maybe allowing taper vs. parallel for the same shaft but other than that?

Oh well, their wood/hybrid shafts available for paks never worked anyway as I play heavyweight; and full sets of irons just don't work for the vast majority.....haven't played a 4 or 5i in years. So no biggie to me, but blows for those that could take advantage of a good deal.

One thing they did improve was ability to order mid or OS grip with the pak vs. standard?