Cut Golf balls

MRL1984

I just finished playing my first round with Cut Blue. First let me say I ordered them after reading these reviews and I might of had unrealistic expectations of this being a "KSig that is actually for sale".

The first wedge and every other wedge after them seemed to dramatically scuff/cut the cover.

The spin around the green was non existent. I had 3 pitches from <30 yards that hit and rolled off the green on the other side.

The one positive was that they were long and straight off the tee.

I would compare these to the Top Flight Gamers. They are not in the same league as a ProV1, Chromesoft, or Ksigs.

Just wanted to share my experience. Take it for what it is worth.

Check #32 which is Cut Blue

Hot-List-2018-Ball-Chart.jpg

Highest spinning ball which is also confirmed by TXG review.

IMO TXG should not be considered a static expert on anything . Unless it’s how to make a GCQuad give long drive numbers for some reason.

I don’t buy that , not for one second.

Feel free to believe what you like though.

Did you not see the Golf Digest chart? Are they making it up too? Are you a world is flat kind of guy?

I played the Cut Blue off and on last year and found it too spinny at times.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I have to say after going through a dozen of these that, while I like them, the durability is just not as good as top-line balls. Yesterday I played a Blue for 9 holes and had to retire it because it was just beat to hell. Yeah, I bounced it of a cypress once, but the damage from my wedges and various small chunks of the cover just coming off rendered it unusable. Interestingly I played the back nine with a Grey (they're now available at the Golf Mart in Seaside, CA) and it faired much better. Perhaps there's an issue with the Blues. Dunno.

This is not to say I'm unhappy with them. I do think they're a pretty good value, and right now my home course is so muddy and the "rough" so long that we're all losing multiple balls pretty much every round. So the fact that they're not as durable isn't really much of an issue today. Once the course dries out a bit and they can start cutting the rough again, I'll likely go back to my "summer" ball.

Got a sleeve of cut blue to try. First thing I noticed is how easily...they cut. Full wedge shot and filleted easily.

I hit 20 pitches with one today (a few each from 15 to 50 yds). I cleaned it up and it looks like new. You using razor blades or something?

even at the 10dz bulk you saved what, $3 a dozen? as long as they stay a $20 dozen it’s still a great deal. let’s hope they work on the durability of the cover

It's still a good value. It's a little more when you figure bulk buys came with free shipping. I was more just giving an FYI for those like me who live in an area where conditions will improve enough over the next month to actually start playing abs they need to pick up some balls. Buying bulk will save me $25 with the free shipping.

True enough. Great if you want to split the 10 dozen with a friend or two. I myself have learned my lesson about ball hoarding though... I get the itch to try a new ball every once in a while, and even though I lose my fair share of balls, and the cover may not be the most durable, it would still take me a while to get through 10 dozen on my own.

Got a sleeve of cut blue to try. First thing I noticed is how easily...they cut. Full wedge shot and filleted easily.

I hit 20 pitches with one today (a few each from 15 to 50 yds). I cleaned it up and it looks like new. You using razor blades or something?

You seem angry. Have a snickers Coach

Nothing to be angry about. I played 18 yesterday with a 2017 TP5 and it was beat up by round's end. So I played 4 extra holes with a Cut Blue and it still looks like new. Just have my doubts about some of the comments folks make in these threads. Would not be surprised if they were Titleist employees.

You seem angry. Have a snickers Coach

Nothing to be angry about. I played 18 yesterday with a 2017 TP5 and it was beat up by round's end. So I played 4 extra holes with a Cut Blue and it still looks like new. Just have my doubts about some of the comments folks make in these threads. Would not be surprised if they were Titleist employees.

Could be! Could be

Played a Cut Blue yesterday and really liked it. Maybe a little more spin than I'm used to on irons, but nothing noticeable off the tee. Feels good off of the putter. For $20, heck of a ball.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

FWIW, I didn't get any sense of anger either

but what I'd really be surprised about is if any Titleist employee even cared about what's going on in this thread much less bothered to read it (and that's from someone who wont even buy Titleist balls). So I'd suggest being a bit more careful about jumping down that "conspiracy theory" road just because someone else's experience doesn't happen to match yours.

Can't speak to outdoor play, but indoors, it's the final clear coat that is less durable than any other ball I've hit against the impact screen - and that list includes Snell, Bridgestone, and Callaway. The difference is easy to both see and feel and is fairly significant, so much that I wont use them indoors anymore. I'll save the rest for when I can get back on the course.

FWIW, I didn't get any sense of anger either

but what I'd really be surprised about is if any Titleist employee even cared about what's going on in this thread much less bothered to read it (and that's from someone who wont even buy Titleist balls). So I'd suggest being a bit more careful about jumping down that "conspiracy theory" road just because someone else's experience doesn't happen to match yours.

Can't speak to outdoor play, but indoors, it's the final clear coat that is less durable than any other ball I've hit against the impact screen - and that list includes Snell, Bridgestone, and Callaway. The difference is easy to both see and feel and is fairly significant, so much that I wont use them indoors anymore. I'll save the rest for when I can get back on the course.

How does the TP5 do indoors? The reason I ask is it behaves just like you describe outside. It looks like hell after a round with no trees/cart paths. Wondering if it has a similar issue to what you describe.

How does the TP5 do indoors? The reason I ask is it behaves just like you describe outside. It looks like hell after a round with no trees/cart paths. Wondering if it has a similar issue to what you describe.

Can't say, haven't tried the TP5's indoors. Generally I stick to the less expensive balls indoors because of the high wear rate. Closest I got was to play around with some Project (a)'s indoors a few winters ago. Don't remember them wearing out any faster than anything else - but I wouldn't really count on that memory as being overly reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add that I also got some of these to test after watching the TXG video. I can't say I saw the large increase in iron spin. I've been hitting regularly this winter at the PGA superstore practice bays. I took only my 5-9 irons and 3 cut Blue golf balls. The balls were very roughed up within the first 30 shots with my AP2 8 and 9 iron that I have played for over a year now. So not even brand new wedges and I was cutting the cover off. I was looking for a little more spin on my long irons, didn't find it and I will be moving on. Could not play these du to the durability. I will test the Grey next and see if they are any better this weekend.

Titleist TSI2 9.0 Tensei 1k White 50 TX
Ping G430 Max 3w Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 19 Hybrid Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist TSI2 4 Hybrid Tenseit White 90x
Titleist T200 5 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist T100S 6-PW PX 6.5

Vokey SM8 49 PX 6.5 SM8 54 PX 6.5
Taylormade Hi toe 60 KBS tour V 115
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I played my first round with cut blue today. A little tip for everyone, the new version is available and in stock on Amazon and qualifies for prime.

The ball performed nicely and has a great feel. The spin is great and the ball handled the wind well. I liked the ball a lot, but the durability of the cover is a concern. My home course has a ton of water and out of bounds so even good rounds usually involve losing a ball or two. Today I didn’t lose any but wound up going through a sleeve because the covers got so torn up. Wedges make the ball dance on the greens but leave their mark on this ball. I think if it was even $5 more a dozen that’d be a deal breaker. For $20 a dozen I think this is a perfectly game-able ball.

I've got a mixed experience with the Cut Blues. The first couple of sleeves I tried weren't the best quality. I would play one or two holes and they would look like this or worse. This specific ball was after two holes.

i83o1ol1on6d.jpegI’ve never had another ball look like this so quickly. It seems the quality is inconsistent as well. Some of them haven't had a mark on them after 9 holes, some have gotten marks like this or worse after one. While I am happy with the ones that are good quality, I probably won't buy any more from them after I run out of these balls.

FWIW, I'm using two year old SM5's (54 & 60) and new JPX900 forged (4-GW). Just my experience. Not a titleist employee either.

> @976-Evil said:

> I've got a mixed experience with the Cut Blues. The first couple of sleeves I tried weren't the best quality. I would play one or two holes and they would look like this or worse. This specific ball was after two holes.

> I’ve never had another ball look like this so quickly. It seems the quality is inconsistent as well. Some of them haven't had a mark on them after 9 holes, some have gotten marks like this or worse after one. While I am happy with the ones that are good quality, I probably won't buy any more from them after I run out of these balls.

>

> FWIW, I'm using two year old SM5's (54 & 60) and new JPX900 forged (4-GW). Just my experience. Not a titleist employee either.

I played the Cut Blue today for 27 holes and ball looks just like picture above. I have a dilemma though, outside of durability it was a very good fit for my game. Just not sure I can live with how chewed up it gets so quickly.

So did something change on these (Blue) from year to year? I was ready to pull the trigger on some but the durability is concerning me. Having read through the whole thread, seems last year everyone loved them but there seems to be an issue now. Did the ball change? I was eyeing the Blue but after reading everything the Grey might the better choice for my game. Are people seeing this same durability issue with the Grey?

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

> @rjr25 said:

> So did something change on these (Blue) from year to year? I was ready to pull the trigger on some but the durability is concerning me. Having read through the whole thread, seems last year everyone loved them but there seems to be an issue now. Did the ball change? I was eyeing the Blue but after reading everything the Grey might the better choice for my game. Are people seeing this same durability issue with the Grey?

The updated the Blue to a new version around last November/December.

• 2 weeks later...

So played my first round on the weekend and went with the Cut Blue so I could use them up. One ball lasted me 12 or 13 holes before I decided to put it away. Putter felt fine, wedges felt fine and stopped great on chips and pitches. On full wedge shots up to 7 irons or so spun way too much I was losing distance, just falling from the sky kinda shots. Didn't have a chance to hit with a driver but assume it would have been fine. The ball had a few scuffs just from irons and wedge shots. No path or tree hits and ground was super soft, so if I played a full 18 the ball would probably have been done.

Going to give the White a try, should spin less and maybe work better for me. But after that round the Blue is clearly not for me. If you need more spin give the Blue a try.

But for $20 a dozen for 3 and 4 piece urethane balls you can't really go wrong, the durability doesn't seem great but again $20 a dozen you can only get so much.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Sadly, I join all of you who posted pictures of Blues that are all cut up. I tried these out in Hawaii last year (obviously last year's model for full disclosure) and thought they were beyond exceptional for the price. I was still primarily playing Snell MTB Blacks, but being the hacker I am, was looking for a slightly cheaper, but still very playable ball. So I ordered the 'New and Improved' Blues and every one of them just got sliced and diced without touching a cart part. I still have about a dozen and a half left, but I'm just going to stick with the MTB-X from Snell that I started playing a few weeks back.3ujw3bvfabu2.jpg