Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

> @Kirasdad said:

> Went out yesterday giving the minimalist setup its first go round. Shot 80,41-39, 6400 par 72.

> Went with nine, although I only used eight. I didn’t use the 5h, which was strange since I think it’s the most versatile club in the bag, of course it’s just one round.

>

> WITB (all clubs graphite shafted except putter)

> Callaway Big Bertha 460 11 degrees

> Ping G10 4 wood 17*

> Sonartec 20* hybrid

> Callaway 5h

> Component 7 and 9 irons

> 50 degree Hogan GW

> 56 degree Cleveland 588 SW

> Ping Anser putter

> Jones canvas one strap bag

>

> I had no issues whatsoever with the lack of 14 clubs, although the course was well suited to fewer clubs. It’s a traditional parkland layout where you can run it up on many holes. A target type of track would have been more problematic I think. The clubs are a combo of my regular bag and a few out of the garage. I’d like to get to 7 or 8 clubs, since 9 strikes me as, well, not “minimalist enough”.

>

>

You're setup is almost identical to mine except I carry a 5 iron rather than a 5h. To get to 8 clubs I drop the 4 wood. For 7 clubs I drop the 50 GW and substitute the 56 with a 54 sand wedge. Must admit I prefer the 8-9 club setup. I miss the 50 too much when I go straight from 9 iron to 54 wedge.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

> @Gotblades said:

> This could be fun. I've seen some guys going hickory, minimal, etc, etc. So many rabbit holes to go down in this game. Good Luck!

I moved primarily to hickories about 10 years ago and over time the ability to play at a suitable level seemed to decline as Mother Nature kept flipping the calendars. Going minimal with "somewhat modern" clubs has allowed me to regain a modicum of scoring ability while still requiring some creativity in manufacturing shots which I enjoyed so much with the hickories.

In any case, Golf is a great game regardless of how many clubs you use or what material is used for a shaft!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

It was very interesting playing with a slightly different setup yesterday.

Lessons I leaned:

I like my driver, I should carry it more.

I hit 3x more bad shots then good with my hybrid, which is why I don’t normally carry it.

I missed my 3 wood

I think I would have preferred having my Miuras with me overall, but there was one bad toe struck 4 iron along some water that somehow carried up close to the right of the green from 200y out....I think if I’d have had my Miuras that one would have been wet as it was a terrible strike and I wash shocked to find it where I did (was hitting through a whispy willow a bit and lost sight of the ball immediately so had to clue how it got to where it did)

The 52 gap wedge I threw in served it’s purpose and got me onto the island green from about 116 out with a full swing. I need to practice dialing in my PW for that distance though as otherwise I think I only hit that club one other time and could have easily used my PW for that one instead.

Other than my 3 wood, I didn’t miss any clubs. So I think I’ll carry a driver for a while and adjust one of my 3 woods to 16* and see how that works out with my set.

Highlights of the round where zero balls lost (sadly a rarity for me) and a great 8 iron shot from 145 out. My 8 is more in the 155-160 range so I was right in between my PW and 8. Water back and right but I knew I had no chance of getting my PW onto the green. So hit a half swing 8 iron that started left edge of green and cut back perfectly giving my a 10’ look at birdie. Didn’t make the putt but had a tap in par and I’ll take it.

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

Thinking a bit more in depth about my round with the nine club bag I’m thinking that simplifying the setup helps me not overthink so much. When you have 14 clubs it’s “well, it’s a hard wedge or a soft 9” or a “stock this or a smooth that” always trying to figure out what club to hit and how I’m going to hit it. Minimalist, on the other hand, it’s pretty obvious what the club is going to be, and for me most of the time it was just hitting the shot as solidly as possible in a place where even if I missed the green I could get up and down for par. It worked pretty well for my brain, which is where golf resides since we have so much time to think.

• Like 2

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

Slightly off topic, but with the new software has there been any energy around a minimalist sub-forum?

Seems like we have discussions going in multiple subs now. Would be nice to have them all in one spot.

And I'm sure this is not real high on the priority list at this time.......

• Like 1

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Driver, 19* hybrid, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9, iron, 50* wedge, 60* wedge and putter is working fine for me for an 8 club setup... When I'm playing with someone I really want to beat (I think we all have a few of these friends), I bring all 14. But I'm having this daydream, something I may have mentioned before, but it's occupying more and more time in my head...

My dream would be to custom order a set of five irons with lofts of 23*, 28*, 33.5*, 39.5* 46* and I would then add a 53* wedge to go with my 60* and 19* hybrid. Icing on the cake would be the new Taylormade mini driver that could function off the deck as well when needed. I would probably have to custom order the irons from someone that could help me figure out the 0.75" shaft increments so the shaft flex and swingweight transition smoothly and I don't get weird bounce angles by bending some clubs strong and others weak from a standard set.

That would give me 10 clubs and I'm positive that would give me all the confidence to carry these 10 at all times. 10 clubs in a Sunday bag is not too heavy for me to comfortably carry either. Custom clubs are expensive though so it's not happening yet, but it's a nice daydream and something high up on my pondering list. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I specd out a custom set once going 23/29/35/42/49/56, so 6* gaps to start then 7* gaps in the latter half. That would basically cover the same range I do now but in one extra club to tighten things up a bit. Definitely has appeal but ultimately it wasn’t worth the expense for me at the time. Someday I might do it though, sure do like the look of those National Custom Works irons!

Titleist 913 D3 / Titleist TSi2 15 / Titleist TS2 19h / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie

> @p3ga said:

> Slightly off topic, but with the new software has there been any energy around a minimalist sub-forum?

> Seems like we have discussions going in multiple subs now. Would be nice to have them all in one spot.

> And I'm sure this is not real high on the priority list at this time.......

I don’t know if there’d be enough traffic for a whole sub forum.... it it would be cool if there was! And this approach definitely seems to be picking up steam. Seeing it here and in the Instagram community.

Curious, what all other threads have you found? This is really the main one I read and the Mackenzie bag on in the bags forum, which isn’t dedicated to minimal but it certainly gets discussed.

> @slide13 said:

> It was very interesting playing with a slightly different setup yesterday.

>

> Lessons I leaned:

>

> I like my driver, I should carry it more.

>

> I hit 3x more bad shots then good with my hybrid, which is why I don’t normally carry it.

>

> I missed my 3 wood

>

> I think I would have preferred having my Miuras with me overall, but there was one bad toe struck 4 iron along some water that somehow carried up close to the right of the green from 200y out....I think if I’d have had my Miuras that one would have been wet as it was a terrible strike and I wash shocked to find it where I did (was hitting through a whispy willow a bit and lost sight of the ball immediately so had to clue how it got to where it did)

>

> The 52 gap wedge I threw in served it’s purpose and got me onto the island green from about 116 out with a full swing. I need to practice dialing in my PW for that distance though as otherwise I think I only hit that club one other time and could have easily used my PW for that one instead.

>

> Other than my 3 wood, I didn’t miss any clubs. So I think I’ll carry a driver for a while and adjust one of my 3 woods to 16* and see how that works out with my set.

>

> Highlights of the round where zero balls lost (sadly a rarity for me) and a great 8 iron shot from 145 out. My 8 is more in the 155-160 range so I was right in between my PW and 8. Water back and right but I knew I had no chance of getting my PW onto the green. So hit a half swing 8 iron that started left edge of green and cut back perfectly giving my a 10’ look at birdie. Didn’t make the putt but had a tap in par and I’ll take it.

Great update...been walking a bunch with my Mini Set and really liking it. Has me rethinking my main bag irons. I play Cally CF16 in my main bag, but scoured the internet/cpo to find X-forged 18 irons for the minimalist. Ended up going Cally UT 27, Xforged 7i, Xforged 9i and MD4 48 and 56. Tell you what, I am loving this mini set of irons. Not sure if its the lofts being closer to my younger day irons or what, but I am hitting all these clubs great and able to work and adjust for shot shapes and different distances fairly easily. For example...short temporary par 3 at 110...just flicked the MD4 48, next iron shot was 120 in and took the same 48 with a bit more on it and hit it to 5 feet. Also, the UT 27 has been great...thinking of picking up another for the main bag in 24.

> @Kirasdad said:

> Thinking a bit more in depth about my round with the nine club bag I’m thinking that simplifying the setup helps me not overthink so much. When you have 14 clubs it’s “well, it’s a hard wedge or a soft 9” or a “stock this or a smooth that” always trying to figure out what club to hit and how I’m going to hit it. Minimalist, on the other hand, it’s pretty obvious what the club is going to be, and for me most of the time it was just hitting the shot as solidly as possible in a place where even if I missed the green I could get up and down for par. It worked pretty well for my brain, which is where golf resides since we have so much time to think.

...You're never in between clubs :)

> @acemandrake said:

> > @Kirasdad said:

> > Thinking a bit more in depth about my round with the nine club bag I’m thinking that simplifying the setup helps me not overthink so much. When you have 14 clubs it’s “well, it’s a hard wedge or a soft 9” or a “stock this or a smooth that” always trying to figure out what club to hit and how I’m going to hit it. Minimalist, on the other hand, it’s pretty obvious what the club is going to be, and for me most of the time it was just hitting the shot as solidly as possible in a place where even if I missed the green I could get up and down for par. It worked pretty well for my brain, which is where golf resides since we have so much time to think.

>

> ...You're never in between clubs :)

If you’re ADD you’re ALWAYS between clubs, (lol) unless you only have a few to pick from.

Ping 3 and 7 woods
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts

> @kiwihacker said:

> > @Kirasdad said:

> > Went out yesterday giving the minimalist setup its first go round. Shot 80,41-39, 6400 par 72.

> > Went with nine, although I only used eight. I didn’t use the 5h, which was strange since I think it’s the most versatile club in the bag, of course it’s just one round.

> >

> > WITB (all clubs graphite shafted except putter)

> > Callaway Big Bertha 460 11 degrees

> > Ping G10 4 wood 17*

> > Sonartec 20* hybrid

> > Callaway 5h

> > Component 7 and 9 irons

> > 50 degree Hogan GW

> > 56 degree Cleveland 588 SW

> > Ping Anser putter

> > Jones canvas one strap bag

> >

> > I had no issues whatsoever with the lack of 14 clubs, although the course was well suited to fewer clubs. It’s a traditional parkland layout where you can run it up on many holes. A target type of track would have been more problematic I think. The clubs are a combo of my regular bag and a few out of the garage. I’d like to get to 7 or 8 clubs, since 9 strikes me as, well, not “minimalist enough”.

> >

> >

>

> You're setup is almost identical to mine except I carry a 5 iron rather than a 5h. To get to 8 clubs I drop the 4 wood. For 7 clubs I drop the 50 GW and substitute the 56 with a 54 sand wedge. Must admit I prefer the 8-9 club setup. I miss the 50 too much when I go straight from 9 iron to 54 wedge.

> I agree, the 50 GW is too essential to scoring to leave out. Next time I’m going to drop the 3h and the 5H, and go with a 4H instead. That would be eight clubs, probably where the sweet spot is, we’ll see. What I really need is a different putter. My first minimalist score would have been 4 strokes better (76) with better behavior from the flatstick. Hey, maybe I putt with my driver and go with seven clubs!!! Oh wait, I tried that once in a four club tournament...not at all pretty...yep, a new putter it is!

• Like 1

Ping 3 and 7 woods
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts

> @Maximilian said:

> Driver, 19* hybrid, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9, iron, 50* wedge, 60* wedge and putter is working fine for me for an 8 club setup... When I'm playing with someone I really want to beat (I think we all have a few of these friends), I bring all 14. But I'm having this daydream, something I may have mentioned before, but it's occupying more and more time in my head...

>

> My dream would be to custom order a set of five irons with lofts of 23*, 28*, 33.5*, 39.5* 46* and I would then add a 53* wedge to go with my 60* and 19* hybrid. Icing on the cake would be the new Taylormade mini driver that could function off the deck as well when needed. I would probably have to custom order the irons from someone that could help me figure out the 0.75" shaft increments so the shaft flex and swingweight transition smoothly and I don't get weird bounce angles by bending some clubs strong and others weak from a standard set.

>

> That would give me 10 clubs and I'm positive that would give me all the confidence to carry these 10 at all times. 10 clubs in a Sunday bag is not too heavy for me to comfortably carry either. Custom clubs are expensive though so it's not happening yet, but it's a nice daydream and something high up on my pondering list. :)

Custom doesn't have to be expensive. I had golfworks build a minimalist set, DBM irons, GW at 50 and 6* gaps up to the 6iron. I skipped the 9iron. You can tell them what length increments lofts, lies, swing weight, etc. Will be cheaper than any eom set.

• Like 1

So the last couple of rounds have been driver, heavenwood, 26*33*41*50*55* and putter. I've played two rounds like this and have been within my hc. I'm toying with the idea of maybe two more clubs for tournament play but I will wait and see how the year pans out.I am really liking the idea of pretty just much pick a club and go with it, it truly eliminates the hard 8/soft 7 issues, oddly my gir has gone up a bit, and now I'm looking for a good sunday stand bag........

• Like 1

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

> @"Dan Drake" said:

> I've got an idea for this, that I can make happen straight outta the current garage mish-mash:

>

> Adams Super LS hybrid 15° w/Aldila VS Proto

> Mizuno Fli Hi Cut Muscle 24° w/Nippon SPB

> Mizuno MP 57 6i w/Nippon SPB

> Mizuno MP 67 9i w/Nippon SPB

> TMAG ATV 54° w/Nippon SPB

> Odyssey White Hot #1

>

> The lofts will be tweaked to get a nice even spread and bend some of the offset out of the 6i & 9i, but I think this is pretty dog gone solid in terms of playability, shot shaping, forgiveness, my 2nd favorite putter in the world, and, of course, the one and only Super LS! Seriously, that thing is like a driver I can hit off the turf for my 2nd shot into par 5's (as long as there's nothing to carry over, lol!).

>

> And again, the best part is, the only thing I looking to actually purchase is 4 ferrules!

So, after thinking it through, I've landed on the following:

TEE E8 beta 12° w/Rogue

Mizuno Fli Hi Cut Muscle 20° w/Nippon SPB

Mizuno MP 57 30° w/Nippon SPB

Mizuno MP 32 40° w/Nippon SPB

Mizuno MP 67 50° w/Nippon SPB

Nike Engage Toe Sweep 58° w/DG S300

Add in a putter and I'm off and running (well, walking)! And I went through the garage again and I don't even have to get the 4 new ferrules, lol. I'm going to be in this project for the cost of some epoxy.

Eventually, I'll put together an entire bag with my Callaway & Odyssey clubs, but for proof of concept, the above set is pretty darn neat, if I do say so myself!

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

My 8 club set for 2019 is almost complete. Waiting for the Taylormade original one mini to be officially announced so I can drop my current Rogue subzero driver. Today a regular > @jt2gt said:

> 0hy0wd32cqjn.jpeg

> Here’s what I have been walkin with lately and really enjoying it. Low stress. Clear mind. Minimalist is way to go especially early season.

Sick bag!

After a rough start to the year I ditched the full bag and cart and walked with 8 clubs in the Swift X today ... First round in the 70s this year on a 72/121 course. Less really is more.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Just started reading about this the last few weeks and since I’m looking for a regular exercise opportunity, I have put a minimalist bag together. Stealing from my regular set it’s Driver, 4 Hybrid, 7-PW, 56 and putter in a Titleist Ultralight.

Been walking nine holes early in the morning at least twice a week. Gonna see if I can get my old bones to go 18 before summer is over.

• Like 1

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

> @Maximilian said:

> Driver, 19* hybrid, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9, iron, 50* wedge, 60* wedge and putter is working fine for me for an 8 club setup... When I'm playing with someone I really want to beat (I think we all have a few of these friends), I bring all 14. But I'm having this daydream, something I may have mentioned before, but it's occupying more and more time in my head...

>

> My dream would be to custom order a set of five irons with lofts of 23*, 28*, 33.5*, 39.5* 46* and I would then add a 53* wedge to go with my 60* and 19* hybrid. Icing on the cake would be the new Taylormade mini driver that could function off the deck as well when needed. I would probably have to custom order the irons from someone that could help me figure out the 0.75" shaft increments so the shaft flex and swingweight transition smoothly and I don't get weird bounce angles by bending some clubs strong and others weak from a standard set.

>

> That would give me 10 clubs and I'm positive that would give me all the confidence to carry these 10 at all times. 10 clubs in a Sunday bag is not too heavy for me to comfortably carry either. Custom clubs are expensive though so it's not happening yet, but it's a nice daydream and something high up on my pondering list. :)

Actually, Ping lets you play around quite a bit with your lofts at no extra charge. You'd be lookin at $100-$175 a club depending on model, shaft and grip you chose.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Changed my set up again. I've gone...

58, 52 and 45 to match my main bag. (Didn't want to get used to different lofts in each bag. My short game needs work as it is with out extra variables!)

then 9i, 7i, 6 wood and my Mini Driver (13*-16*)

So, I am in a predicament....

I am trying to get back into competitive golf. So, I went from my 8 club set (average 76-82) to a full 13 kit and am now averaging 84 to 90 (holy crap)...

I need a come to jesus talk. Do you all feel as though you could step into a handicap competition and not feel as though u sold yourself short?

I have to commit for the rest of the season, one way I feel more comfortable, the other way makes me feel as though I cant complain about a particular instance when the short bag will let me down..

Ivy, got my first tourney coming up later this week I'm going to go with 10 clubs as a maximum and see how it goes, last time I went full bag I was stuck on is this a hard 7 or shaft 8 debate in my head, with the short set its simply a 7 iron shot.

> @Ivyguy said:

> So, I am in a predicament....

>

> I am trying to get back into competitive golf. So, I went from my 8 club set (average 76-82) to a full 13 kit and am now averaging 84 to 90 (holy ****)...

>

> I need a come to jesus talk. Do you all feel as though you could step into a handicap competition and not feel as though u sold yourself short?

>

> I have to commit for the rest of the season, one way I feel more comfortable, the other way makes me feel as though I cant complain about a particular instance when the short bag will let me down..

905t

eye2 becu

> @Ivyguy said:

> So, I am in a predicament....

>

> I am trying to get back into competitive golf. So, I went from my 8 club set (average 76-82) to a full 13 kit and am now averaging 84 to 90 (holy ****)...

>

> I need a come to jesus talk. Do you all feel as though you could step into a handicap competition and not feel as though u sold yourself short?

>

> I have to commit for the rest of the season, one way I feel more comfortable, the other way makes me feel as though I cant complain about a particular instance when the short bag will let me down..

You sound like me a bit. For some unknown reason I play better golf with less in my bag compared to others who use a full 14 club set, been this way since I was a kid. My set now is 12 clubs plus a putter being 13 and for some reason I score better than adding that 14th club. The only thing I can come up with is my decisions on which club to use is more solidified per given shot, I take out the risky shot that I may not be comfortable with and using the club to its fullest potential. I know it's not completely minimalist or half set that maybe a lot of us grew up with but the mentality is similar. As I tell some who ask, it's how I play the best.

• Like 1

Soooo went out today with my 9 club tournament set up, shot the best round of the year so far, here's my set up epic flash driver, steelhead xr heavenwood, steelhead xr 9 wood, edel sls 01 5,7,9,g, hogan tk 58 wedge putter. roughly 7-9 degree gaps throughout the irons seems to work best for me I would like to thing 8* would be perfect. My practice set up is usually 7-8 clubs really liking the minimalist set up so far.

905t

eye2 becu