Wedge testing: MD4 vs SM7 vs Glide 2.0 (with data & updates)

Z1ggy16

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > > Ziggs--- solid testing and posting work man -- awesome. hope those glides workout well for you~!!!

> > > >

> > > > Thank you good sir. Actually... I see you're rocking RTX4's now. How's that heel relief and trail edge relief? Can you open it up to hit some nice high softies out of the rough? I did dig my RTX3 feel but the looks were not awesome. So far the Glides are pretty great and my ONLY criticism is they do go a little too far sometimes with full swings. Don't take many full swings with wedges anymore but every now and again the situation is called for.

> > >

> > > i have high bounce on mine since we have wet/soft turf -- i've yet to have any issues opening it up; either the 52 or the 59. i have had no issues as of yet that were club related -- i've spent a lot of time on my short game in the last week or so. haven't had any issues since i locked in my mechanics.

> >

> > Yeah that's why I ended up going SS in all the Glides... most lies around the area lend to be thicker/wetter than they would be dry/bare. I don't have a compelling reason to ditch my Glides really, I was just curious about Hi Toe since almost all the staffers seem to use one minus Tiger.

>

> i had one, didn't like it. strikes never felt solid to me and always felt...brittle...if that makes sense? always felt like i missed it, even out the middle.

Yeah I've read some people didn't love the feel. Feel is super important to me with these clubs...Usually I can get a sense almost right away if a club will be for me or not just based on that alone. Hopefully I'll get to the green today or tomorrow and see how it performs. The sole design is certainly interesting.

Took the Hi Toe through some sort game paces last night, minus bunker work. Contact felt firm but crisp. Spin seemed pretty high for the short shots I was hitting.

Biggest take away was how easy it was to open up the face. I try to avoid hitting flops at all costs, but this seems to be encouraging how easy it was. I think it will also be very good from the bunkers, once I get on the course, hopefully today after work.

I'll try to get on to the simulator tomorrow to grab some data.

• Like 1

Took the Hi Toe to the Trackman today, has some interesting results:

![](https://i.imgur.com/XtFNNw2l.png "")

I started out trying to hit short 30 to 40 yard chips. I wasn't sure what I'd get so I took my stock 40 yard swing and only got about 30 yards. However, it was very consistent with exception of one shot which I just hit a little fat. So... I was confused as to how dead this club was but very pleased at how consistent it was.

Next was my 50-60 yard shot. Again... Took what would be a stock 60 yard shot and again... I was barely getting past 50 yard carry. This time though, I was all over the place with my consistency. Some 55 some 48 some 53 then randomly back up near 60. Obviously some of that is me but I've been working pretty hard on my short game this season and I don't think I'm that bad. I'm only saying this because compared to the Glides, Vokey or MD4's these just felt very hard to get my distances down on these medium length pitches. I felt like I really had to hit this club more firm to get it to 60 compared to Glides. I remember that the opposite felt true with the Glides months ago though, as I felt they were "too hot", but obviously I've now gotten used to it and I kind of prefer it.

Full shots didn't feel super great as far as softness/firmness, but not mega firm either. Just OK. Was also a little low on the full shot carry, too. Not a huge deal as I almost never hit full lob wedges.

So the real test here is can this thing get me out of various kinds of bunkers. Right now the Glide is an awesome 58* but it's not the most fun to hit from firm sand. I get really anxious over firm sand with that club because of the higher bounce. I try to play those shots with a square face and minimal speed but I'm still a bit squirrel-y with it on those shots. Something that can get me out of firm AND softer sand that inspires confidence would be nice.

If you guys have any experience gaming a Hi Toe to PM grind wedge, let's hear your experiences! Thanks as always for taking the time to read this stuff.

• Like 1

So I gamed the Hi-Toe today for 9 and I'm torn. I can elaborate if people are interested but the short of it is that for ME personally, great from the rough and bunkers, really pops the ball up high and it lands very softly. Did NOT like it at all for pretty much any shot that wasn't a little pitch or chip outside of say 15 yards. Absolutely horrible for me from like 40 out.

For now... it stays. It's just too good out of bunkers and thick stuff to immediately write it off. I'll have to use my 54* more for shots where I used to use the 58*. Club just feels completely dead and like the ball really rides up the face and gets much higher launch.

• Like 1

> @WUGolfer3118 said:

> As someone in the market for new wedges (scratch 1018s from 2011 yikes!), I appreciate the time, money, effort, and diligence you have put into this thread. Thank you.

Sure, I find it fun. I'm fortunate enough to have enough time and the facilities around me to do such things. I'm kind of glad that I settled on the Ping's actually, because there's at least 3 or 4 other wedges that I was planning to buy haha.

So took the Hi-Toe out again for 9 more holes, taking through all the shots I use a 58* for: Bunkers, short chips from the rough and 30-60 yard shots. Gotta say... it is very good from bunkers. However, I just can't get over how bad it is for me on the longer pitches. I took the Glide back out with me and took the same shots right after I hit the Hi-Toe. The Glide just performs so much better for me and feels much better too. Glide definitely doesn't flight up as high but I still don't have much issue getting the ball to stop with these slower greens.

So it basically comes down to which shots do I use the 58* more for... Bunkers, chips out of rough or 40ish yard pitches? For my game, it's chips from rough. I usually don't end up in TOO many bunkers (maybe 1 or 2 per round) and I have a basic chunk and run down pretty good. I can't hit high flopping beauties quite yet, but the low runner usually works well enough. Where I end up most is usually a little short and off the green by 5 or maybe 10 yards. As a current 12hc I'm only hitting 25% of greens. I chip a lot. I just have so much more confidence and feel with my Glide that this Hi-Toe isn't going to take it out of the bag.

Another user here commented to me when I got it that he found it to feel "brittle". After 18 holes of this club and 1 indoor session I can definitely say that "brittle" feeling is a perfect word to describe the feel. Almost like a thin, brittle sort of feeling.

For me the I had the opposite experience, I have badly wanted the Stealth Glide 2.0's to work, but the Hi-Toe is just so vastly better for my swing in terms of feel and performance. They spin about 600 rpm's more per shot. They are so easy to hit any variation of shot that sometimes I feel like I entered some real life golf cheat code. I think your issues have more to do with bounce or lie angle then the club which is why a proper wedge fitting is probably a better use of your time than how you are currently going about this even though I enjoy the thread.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @GolfChannel said:

> For me the I had the opposite experience, I have badly wanted the Stealth Glide 2.0's to work, but the Hi-Toe is just so vastly better for my swing in terms of feel and performance. They spin about 600 rpm's more per shot. They are so easy to hit any variation of shot that sometimes I feel like I entered some real life golf cheat code. I think your issues have more to do with bounce or lie angle then the club which is why a proper wedge fitting is probably a better use of your time than how you are currently going about this even though I enjoy the thread.

I did get wedge fit last November at TXG. However, you can't hit out of rough or bunkers and all the lies are very "firm" on the mat. Based on my swing they said to stay in medium to medium high bounce and use either my current modus 120's or even modus 125, which ever felt best. They also only really fit me using my 54* then gave me gaps from there (said to go 50, 54, 58). Also told me to go 2 flat, which my Glides are. So yes the Hi Toe is technically a little upright and has less bounce, which is maybe why it works well out of this more firm, wet, spring sand but not for other stuff.

All that aside though, it can't change the feel of the Hi Toe much. The MD4 was very firm and clicky but the hi toe is still not that... hard to explain, but brittle is the best explanation I could give. I like how the Glides feel pretty soft and forgiving, where little miss hits on the Hi Toe were very harsh. Maybe that's just me being a no0b because I know 'players' like feed back, but I do enjoy how friendly Glide feels. I could probably toss my Modus 125 wedge shaft in the Hi Toe and give it one more go but I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of the lie and bounce.

Thanks for reading!

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > For me the I had the opposite experience, I have badly wanted the Stealth Glide 2.0's to work, but the Hi-Toe is just so vastly better for my swing in terms of feel and performance. They spin about 600 rpm's more per shot. They are so easy to hit any variation of shot that sometimes I feel like I entered some real life golf cheat code. I think your issues have more to do with bounce or lie angle then the club which is why a proper wedge fitting is probably a better use of your time than how you are currently going about this even though I enjoy the thread.

>

> I did get wedge fit last November at TXG. However, you can't hit out of rough or bunkers and all the lies are very "firm" on the mat. Based on my swing they said to stay in medium to medium high bounce and use either my current modus 120's or even modus 125, which ever felt best. They also only really fit me using my 54* then gave me gaps from there (said to go 50, 54, 58). Also told me to go 2 flat, which my Glides are. So yes the Hi Toe is technically a little upright and has less bounce, which is maybe why it works well out of this more firm, wet, spring sand but not for other stuff.

>

> All that aside though, it can't change the feel of the Hi Toe much. The MD4 was very firm and clicky but the hi toe is still not that... hard to explain, but brittle is the best explanation I could give. I like how the Glides feel pretty soft and forgiving, where little miss hits on the Hi Toe were very harsh. Maybe that's just me being a no0b because I know 'players' like feed back, but I do enjoy how friendly Glide feels. I could probably toss my Modus 125 wedge shaft in the Hi Toe and give it one more go but I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of the lie and bounce.

>

> Thanks for reading!

I had high hopes for TXG given how big a fanboy I am (I plan on making the journey for a fitting at some point), but that's not a real wedge fitting then. If you aren't fitting wedges outside there really is no point other than getting perfect condition base numbers.

I highly recommend messing with the shaft, for me given how much wedges are more tempo than all out speed the feel of the shaft is supremely important to imparting "feel" & "feedback" to the golfer. The Hi-Toe works for me with the stock Hi Rev 2.0 and the Modus 120S, but if you put a dynamic gold in there that isn't an S400 the club usually feels dead to me. The same held true for the Hi-Toe when I tried it, it went to from buttery soft to firm as hell.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > For me the I had the opposite experience, I have badly wanted the Stealth Glide 2.0's to work, but the Hi-Toe is just so vastly better for my swing in terms of feel and performance. They spin about 600 rpm's more per shot. They are so easy to hit any variation of shot that sometimes I feel like I entered some real life golf cheat code. I think your issues have more to do with bounce or lie angle then the club which is why a proper wedge fitting is probably a better use of your time than how you are currently going about this even though I enjoy the thread.

> >

> > I did get wedge fit last November at TXG. However, you can't hit out of rough or bunkers and all the lies are very "firm" on the mat. Based on my swing they said to stay in medium to medium high bounce and use either my current modus 120's or even modus 125, which ever felt best. They also only really fit me using my 54* then gave me gaps from there (said to go 50, 54, 58). Also told me to go 2 flat, which my Glides are. So yes the Hi Toe is technically a little upright and has less bounce, which is maybe why it works well out of this more firm, wet, spring sand but not for other stuff.

> >

> > All that aside though, it can't change the feel of the Hi Toe much. The MD4 was very firm and clicky but the hi toe is still not that... hard to explain, but brittle is the best explanation I could give. I like how the Glides feel pretty soft and forgiving, where little miss hits on the Hi Toe were very harsh. Maybe that's just me being a no0b because I know 'players' like feed back, but I do enjoy how friendly Glide feels. I could probably toss my Modus 125 wedge shaft in the Hi Toe and give it one more go but I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of the lie and bounce.

> >

> > Thanks for reading!

>

> I had high hopes for TXG given how big a fanboy I am (I plan on making the journey for a fitting at some point), but that's not a real wedge fitting then. If you aren't fitting wedges outside there really is no point other than getting perfect condition base numbers.

>

> I highly recommend messing with the shaft, for me given how much wedges are more tempo than all out speed the feel of the shaft is supremely important to imparting "feel" & "feedback" to the golfer. The Hi-Toe works for me with the stock Hi Rev 2.0 and the Modus 120S, but if you put a dynamic gold in there that isn't an S400 the club usually feels dead to me. The same held true for the Hi-Toe when I tried it, it went to from buttery soft to firm as ****.

Yeah unfortunately they don't do outside stuff. I mainly just wanted to get confirmation on my AOA and gap my wedges properly. I went for a full bag fit and the wedges went last and we were running out of time. I don't recommend going to do a full bag at once, if you can swing it do wedges and putter separately from irons and long clubs.

Yeah I mean it'll take me ten minutes pull the stock shaft and pop in my modus wedge shaft. I do know that I prefer heavy wedge shafts and the stick kbs shaft is a loser for me. Feels pretty light and stiff to me, much prefer modus 125 or s400.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So as the season goes on, even though we are getting some decent rain here in NJ, the courses with the higher temps are drying out faster and faster. I've noticed the once wet sand is now thin and firm; the wet sloppy lies are mostly gone and some courses are now starting to firm up.

After watching the recent TXG videos on wedge bounce and how it effects spin, I am contemplating trying out a few lower bounce options specifically for the summer months. I played last Monday and had a firm lie on the fairway with about 60 yards left. That's my stock 50% 54* that carries about 58-63 yards. Hit it normal and hit the shot just a touch behind the ball and my wedge bounced up and I thinned the ball like crazy. Lucky not much damage was done and I still got out with par. Same in the firm bunkers... catch it even a little behind the ball and you get really thin contact. I know some of this is my fault and technique needs to be improved but I can't help but think having a little less bounce or less camber to the sole could help get the wedge sliding under the ball a bit better instead of popping right up. Maybe, maybe not.

So anyway, I'm keeping my eye out for lower bounce lob wedges to get on the sim to post some data here and also do some on course testing. I had a Cobra Trusty 6* lob wedge last year that I loved from firm lies but it was very hard to use in the spring/winter. Honestly might try to find another one...

OH and one last thing... I'm trying to hard to like this Hi Toe wedge but I just can't get on with it for the life of me. It's really good from firm bunkers but the look and feel of it is just not what I want. Maybe it's me, because so many people seem to like it... I'm willing to try and put my Modus 125 in it because I really dislike the stock KBS shaft, too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Small update:

So I've put a SM6 60* in the bag with an M Grind (8 degree bounce) and I'm really liking it for the summer months. I've been finding that the slightly higher bounce of the Glide is just a little too much for when the ground is firm. Also, the summer months tend to have much thicker rough because of all the rain we get here in the north east, so having the extra loft of the Vokey is helping me pop the ball up a little bit more in the air. I really like the 60/08 out of the rough... Easy to open up and be aggressive through the grass and know it's not going to fly too far, which did happen to me a bunch of times with the 58 Glide.

I'm also noticing though with these open faced shots, my contact is very much toward the toe and pretty high up on the face. I've still got the hi toe, although I'm probably going to try getting the PM grind instead since I didn't like how the HT felt. Having those grooves out by the toe might help get just a little bit more spin which would be nice.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Small update:

> So I've put a SM6 60* in the bag with an M Grind (8 degree bounce) and I'm really liking it for the summer months. I've been finding that the slightly higher bounce of the Glide is just a little too much for when the ground is firm. Also, the summer months tend to have much thicker rough because of all the rain we get here in the north east, so having the extra loft of the Vokey is helping me pop the ball up a little bit more in the air. I really like the 60/08 out of the rough... Easy to open up and be aggressive through the grass and know it's not going to fly too far, which did happen to me a bunch of times with the 58 Glide.

>

> I'm also noticing though with these open faced shots, my contact is very much toward the toe and pretty high up on the face. I've still got the hi toe, although I'm probably going to try getting the PM grind instead since I didn't like how the HT felt. Having those grooves out by the toe might help get just a little bit more spin which would be nice.

>

Sounds like what I’m going through in Florida. A vast difference in conditions between rough and fairway with the occasional entirely bare spot everywhere. Fairways are hard, fast, and firm. Rough is THICK where it’s growing due to all the rain.

I hope you like tight fried Bermuda lies.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > Small update:

> > So I've put a SM6 60* in the bag with an M Grind (8 degree bounce) and I'm really liking it for the summer months. I've been finding that the slightly higher bounce of the Glide is just a little too much for when the ground is firm. Also, the summer months tend to have much thicker rough because of all the rain we get here in the north east, so having the extra loft of the Vokey is helping me pop the ball up a little bit more in the air. I really like the 60/08 out of the rough... Easy to open up and be aggressive through the grass and know it's not going to fly too far, which did happen to me a bunch of times with the 58 Glide.

> >

> > I'm also noticing though with these open faced shots, my contact is very much toward the toe and pretty high up on the face. I've still got the hi toe, although I'm probably going to try getting the PM grind instead since I didn't like how the HT felt. Having those grooves out by the toe might help get just a little bit more spin which would be nice.

> >

>

> Sounds like what I’m going through in Florida. A vast difference in conditions between rough and fairway with the occasional entirely bare spot everywhere. Fairways are hard, fast, and firm. Rough is THICK where it’s growing due to all the rain.

>

> I hope you like tight fried Bermuda lies.

Yup, played yesterday and the ball was really nestling down in the thick stuff. Much tougher to get the club to the ball with my thicker/wider Glide 58*. Only issue I was having was in fluffier sand, I have to be much more aggressive with the M grind because it digs a little bit more on me. I'm not that great at playing super open faced bunker shots so I may need to practice a bit more before I get really confident.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > Small update:

> > > So I've put a SM6 60* in the bag with an M Grind (8 degree bounce) and I'm really liking it for the summer months. I've been finding that the slightly higher bounce of the Glide is just a little too much for when the ground is firm. Also, the summer months tend to have much thicker rough because of all the rain we get here in the north east, so having the extra loft of the Vokey is helping me pop the ball up a little bit more in the air. I really like the 60/08 out of the rough... Easy to open up and be aggressive through the grass and know it's not going to fly too far, which did happen to me a bunch of times with the 58 Glide.

> > >

> > > I'm also noticing though with these open faced shots, my contact is very much toward the toe and pretty high up on the face. I've still got the hi toe, although I'm probably going to try getting the PM grind instead since I didn't like how the HT felt. Having those grooves out by the toe might help get just a little bit more spin which would be nice.

> > >

> >

> > Sounds like what I’m going through in Florida. A vast difference in conditions between rough and fairway with the occasional entirely bare spot everywhere. Fairways are hard, fast, and firm. Rough is THICK where it’s growing due to all the rain.

> >

> > I hope you like tight fried Bermuda lies.

> Yup, played yesterday and the ball was really nestling down in the thick stuff. Much tougher to get the club to the ball with my thicker/wider Glide 58*. Only issue I was having was in fluffier sand, I have to be much more aggressive with the M grind because it digs a little bit more on me. I'm not that great at playing super open faced bunker shots so I may need to practice a bit more before I get really confident.

Hi-Toe sand and lob only club? I have heard the thing is damn near magical out of bunkers. Bunker play is one of my best skills so I can basically execute all the needed shots with a 54 or 58, the loft makes no difference with the ability to open or close the face as needed.

Maybe just grab a bucket and hit the bunker instead of the range if you can find a bunker with the sand type you need work in. I legit had a guy come up to me and ask me why I was practicing bunker play, as if he never considered it something you could practice.

Yeah, I've noticed two types of bunker games among the guys at my club.

There are some guys you think, "Wow, he's a natural out the bunker. Just makes it look so easy". You'd think they'd never need to practice. But of course, they're the guys in there for 30 minutes a couple times every week. Their wedges look like crap after three months.

Then there's the guys you think, "Wow, he needs to get in the practice bunker ASAP. He doesn't have a clue!". And that's the ones whose wedges look pristine because the only time they see sand is twice a round hitting out of bunkers on the course.

• Like 1

> @"North Butte" said:

> Yeah, I've noticed two types of bunker games among the guys at my club.

>

> There are some guys you think, "Wow, he's a natural out the bunker. Just makes it look so easy". You'd think they'd never need to practice. But of course, they're the guys in there for 30 minutes a couple times every week. Their wedges look like crap after three months.

>

> Then there's the guys you think, "Wow, he needs to get in the practice bunker ASAP. He doesn't have a clue!". And that's the ones whose wedges look pristine because the only time they see sand is twice a round hitting out of bunkers on the course.

Yeah, that’s why I just go raw finish in wedges now. I got a black finished wedge set a year ago and realized quickly how short that finish was going to last with the frequency of my practice and play. I think the sand wedge lasted 2 weeks before the bottom was just satin again.

Yeah there's two courses by me... wait actually 3, with bunkers to practice from. One has pretty good sand actually but it's alwaaaaysss being used. I've gone to it three times in the past few months (not much, but better than like 95% of recreation golfers I'm guessing) and it was kind of a hassle to deal with. The green will have like 4 or 5 guys hitting to various flags on it and it's just a PITA.

The other one has like... soil in it. It's really firm and soaks in water so after rain it's just like gross mud, not really the best thing but I guess it's better than nothing. Usually don't go there though kind of far away from me. The other one has practically beach sand in it, if you dig it your feet, you might sink 3-4 inches.

It's definitely something I need to work on, and usually the time I practice is when I play alone and there's nobody behind me. I'll play 2 or 3 bunker shots on every hole.

I will admit, the hi toe was awesome out of more medium to firm bunkers, but I really just didn't like it for any thing else. When it starts to get warm out and the greens get really hard, I can no longer play my typical wedge knockdowns (say, 80 yard shot = 50% gap wedge) and instead I need to hit full or more powerful wedge shots. Meaning, the lob wedge usually turns into my 80 yard and below club, instead of my 40 yard and below club. I really disliked how the HT felt and flighted on me. Something with how it felt during the swing... could be stock shaft, who knows.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Yeah there's two courses by me... wait actually 3, with bunkers to practice from. One has pretty good sand actually but it's alwaaaaysss being used. I've gone to it three times in the past few months (not much, but better than like 95% of recreation golfers I'm guessing) and it was kind of a hassle to deal with. The green will have like 4 or 5 guys hitting to various flags on it and it's just a PITA.

>

> The other one has like... soil in it. It's really firm and soaks in water so after rain it's just like gross mud, not really the best thing but I guess it's better than nothing. Usually don't go there though kind of far away from me. The other one has practically beach sand in it, if you dig it your feet, you might sink 3-4 inches.

>

> It's definitely something I need to work on, and usually the time I practice is when I play alone and there's nobody behind me. I'll play 2 or 3 bunker shots on every hole.

>

> I will admit, the hi toe was awesome out of more medium to firm bunkers, but I really just didn't like it for any thing else. When it starts to get warm out and the greens get really hard, I can no longer play my typical wedge knockdowns (say, 80 yard shot = 50% gap wedge) and instead I need to hit full or more powerful wedge shots. Meaning, the lob wedge usually turns into my 80 yard and below club, instead of my 40 yard and below club. I really disliked how the HT felt and flighted on me. Something with how it felt during the swing... could be stock shaft, who knows.

You lower spin than normal? What ball do you play?

I play the Tour BX and even the low flighted spinners hold on really baked out firm and fast greens. I am pretty average with spin, but I can take some off or add some if need be.

I like the Hi-Rev 2.0 as a shaft, but order the X not the stock offering.

Pretty normal on spin, but a lot of the courses I play have main defenses of designing the holes such that even if you hit a fairway you sometimes need to be on the right side of fairway, because they'll place a pin like 4-5 paces over the bunker. Makes playing a 100 yard knockdown PW (my go to for normal shot) very hard. I'd instead probably opt for a 3/4-80% SW but my control is generally not as good with a smoother PW from that distance.

Using ProV1x.

Don't like KBS shafts, I've tried a few, didn't like a single one. Nippon or DG is pretty much the only thing I like the feel of in a wedge. Since I'm not using the 58 right now, I may pull the modus wedge shaft from it and try it in the hi toe to see if that does anything for me. I really do want to like it but it just feels so situational to be worth keeping in the bag. Right now, it's like the equivalent of an ultra low spin bomber 3w that's only useful 1 time per round off the tee and is impossible to get more than 50 feet in the air off the deck, etc.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Pretty normal on spin, but a lot of the courses I play have main defenses of designing the holes such that even if you hit a fairway you sometimes need to be on the right side of fairway, because they'll place a pin like 4-5 paces over the bunker. Makes playing a 100 yard knockdown PW (my go to for normal shot) very hard. I'd instead probably opt for a 3/4-80% SW but my control is generally not as good with a smoother PW from that distance.

>

> Using ProV1x.

>

> Don't like KBS shafts, I've tried a few, didn't like a single one. Nippon or DG is pretty much the only thing I like the feel of in a wedge. Since I'm not using the 58 right now, I may pull the modus wedge shaft from it and try it in the hi toe to see if that does anything for me. I really do want to like it but it just feels so situational to be worth keeping in the bag. Right now, it's like the equivalent of an ultra low spin bomber 3w that's only useful 1 time per round off the tee and is impossible to get more than 50 feet in the air off the deck, etc.

The V1x is my backup, not quite on par with the BX, but a solid back up ball. That said, other than the Hi-Rev 2.0 in X, I haven’t really ever got on with KBS other than C-Taper Lites also in X. I am a Modus fanboy as I pretty much get in with anything they have sans the 105’s.

It really shows how everyone is different. I find the 115g KBS C Taper Lite X flex to be tremendous on any shot, full or partial. If I could only play one shaft, that’s the one. Also think the $Taper is really good.

Also really like Project X and DG 120 X100, soft-stepped.

Nippons are nice shafts but they are not a primary choice for me. The only ones I have really liked are the Modus 125, SuperPeeening Blues and 1150GH. The 120 dispersion is all over the place in my hands. I hated the 105 in stiff or X.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Got the modus 125 wedge in the Hi Toe, taking it to the practice bunker and chipping green today. I'll post thoughts a little later. Just swinging it in hand around my living room, I can immediately tell a difference in weight and feel... much better than the stock KBS hi rev (for me).

![](https://i.imgur.com/Z8WOuIBl.jpg "")

• Like 1

Yeah I'll keep this one short - Putting the modus 125 wedge into the hi-toe has literally transformed this club for me. I knew it was already good out of bunkers but with the extra weight it really kept my tempo in check and I feel like I could just flick the ball out off a wetter/tighter sand lie, or really explode it out if I put it into finer fluffy sand.

It was much better hitting chips and pitches, even full shots I was fine with. It's going in the bag for sure. I just need to remember that when it's played square it tends to dig so any fluffier lies I really need to open it up.

Vokey out... Hi Toe in!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Been a while!!! I pretty much stuck with the Glide 2.0's and the Hi toe since my last post. Pretty good results this year as far as wedge game went, but my HC stalled out at 12 for other reasons. I wanted to update the thread a bit with some data because I have some new wedges; The mizuno T20's. I've only hit them once so the data set is small but man o man these are soofttttt. They felt so nice and even on not so good strikes, the feel was still pretty good, unlike my Glides which I feel get a bit firm/clicky when you don't find middle. The Hi Toe by comparison was a absolute rock... and not in a good way.

I don't have the same shafts in the wedges but I figured for now I'd give a few numbers and my thoughts, maybe answer some questions if it came up. I didn't find any real differences in spin or launch between the 58* T20 and the 58* Hi Toe. My dispersion with T20 was better and peak height on my partial 50 yard shots was a hair lower, efficiency was also slightly better.

The largest difference between the two was full swings, which I don't take many of with the 58*. The T20 was going like... 8 yards further than the Hi Toe. I think this is down to shaft, as I swung the T20 a full 3mph faster and it spun a little bit less. I also hit full and partial 50* T20 and Glide 2,0 and there wasn't much difference. T20 spun a little less and went a few yards more on full shots, and they were about the same on partial 80 yard shots. I'd say maybe the Glides were a little more consistent, but I remember last year testing the Glides and saying how I found them INconsistent and I wasn't sure if I liked them. So this could be down to me having gamed the Glides for many months now and just being used to how they perform. I also think the Glides having more bounce is attributing to the little bit higher spin I'm seeing... The T20's are fairly low bounce, the 50* is about 7* of bounce. If I find they feel pretty good but maybe the spin is a touch low for me, I might look into buying a 46* wedge and bending it weak to 50* and then bending a 52* weak to 54*.

Thanks for reading guys. I like doing this kind of thing so if you have questions, lemme know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the T20's on course yesterday... Color me impressed. I was noticing WAY more spin from the rough than with my glide stealth's. It was also cold and raining too... so whatever Mizuno has done with that groove tech is 100% legit. Maybe it was my new ball (Bstone B XS...fantastic ball btw) but I actually played a 40 yard low checker from the rough... I've never been able to do that before. I thought I thinned it a little bit and I was waiting in agony to watch my ball roll through the green... and it slammed the breaks on about 6 foot from the pin.

Time will tell if the GW and SW stay in the bag or not, I'm not sure how the 7* and 8* bounce will work for me. I'm considering going to True Spec next month for a wedge fitting. I did play a variety of shots with the GW and SW and I felt like I was making contact a little high on the face compared to the LW on my partial shots.