Bandon Dunes Course Strategy

Dsevans8

Ok let me start with a little preface to how things wen't for me... short game was just awful. I mean I wish I could have just thrown it into the Ocean and left it there but in the end I had to make do with what I had. The weather was very nice, just a little rain and a nice steady wind picking up around noon and probably blowing 20-25mph. Now this thread was all about course strategy, and maybe more specifically about strategy and how aggressive to play off the tee. I came in well prepared with my yardage books and notes about distance to hazards, carry lines, and in general trying to play to the safest landing areas. My first thought is that just looking at the books and google earth images does not provide enough insight into truly being able to gauge what shot and where to play that shot. Second is that the wind will be the deciding factor in all club selections. All of my notes were based off of no wind. Obviously that is not a real assumption when you are playing on the coast, but it can be a good reference for you to start at and then decide to add club or take away based on wind direction. Last nothing really matters if you can't hit the ball where you are aiming!! Like I said, short game was just really bad, but in the 7 rounds that I played I scored anywhere between 79-86. I think a caddie would have been good for 3 strokes a round on the greens for sure. One of the biggest things is that you need to avoid the fairway bunkers, those are easily going to cost you a stroke and should be avoided at all cost. On Trails especially, I found myself in more bunkers in the fairway then I even knew where there. I felt like the holes seemed to all slope and funnel your ball to the bunkers on a few of those holes where you can't see the bunkers from the tee box. Also being in some of those massive blow out bunkers on Pacific like the one on #3 and #13 cost me heavily. I don't want to give you a play by play of each hole and my decision, but I would love to discuss course strategy and what I though strategically about each hole. Ask some questions and I will respond and we can get this ball moving. I will post more details and pics in my trip review.

> @Dsevans8 said:

> Ok let me start with a little preface to how things wen't for me... short game was just awful. I mean I wish I could have just thrown it into the Ocean and left it there but in the end I had to make do with what I had. The weather was very nice, just a little rain and a nice steady wind picking up around noon and probably blowing 20-25mph. Now this thread was all about course strategy, and maybe more specifically about strategy and how aggressive to play off the tee. I came in well prepared with my yardage books and notes about distance to hazards, carry lines, and in general trying to play to the safest landing areas. My first thought is that just looking at the books and google earth images does not provide enough insight into truly being able to gauge what shot and where to play that shot. Second is that the wind will be the deciding factor in all club selections. All of my notes were based off of no wind. Obviously that is not a real assumption when you are playing on the coast, but it can be a good reference for you to start at and then decide to add club or take away based on wind direction. Last nothing really matters if you can't hit the ball where you are aiming!! Like I said, short game was just really bad, but in the 7 rounds that I played I scored anywhere between 79-86. I think a caddie would have been good for 3 strokes a round on the greens for sure. One of the biggest things is that you need to avoid the fairway bunkers, those are easily going to cost you a stroke and should be avoided at all cost. On Trails especially, I found myself in more bunkers in the fairway then I even knew where there. I felt like the holes seemed to all slope and funnel your ball to the bunkers on a few of those holes where you can't see the bunkers from the tee box. Also being in some of those massive blow out bunkers on Pacific like the one on #3 and #13 cost me heavily. I don't want to give you a play by play of each hole and my decision, but I would love to discuss course strategy and what I though strategically about each hole. Ask some questions and I will respond and we can get this ball moving. I will post more details and pics in my trip review.

Thanks for the insight. I've read in the forums that a 60 degree wedge is not needed on any of the courses. Is that entirely for sure? How deep is the biggest bunker on the course? If you do end up in a real deep bunker will a super wide open 56 degree get you out of that bunker, or would you need to go with a 60 degree? Of course, the first strategy is to avoid that bunker in the first place.

@bird206 I agree that no it is not needed, but if that your club of preference then go ahead and bring it along. I used mine plenty and it served me well. I actually got into more trouble when I tried to do stuff that I was less rehearsed in, i.e. 8 iron chips or hybrid bumps. I had a hard time judging the distance, especially when coming up slopes and flattening out on the greens. I ended up playing a lot of bump and check shots with my lofted wedges, just was more comfortable form me. And to answer your questions on bunkers... on Pacific there are some bunkers on 3, 6, 13, and 17 that are massive and situated where getting out at all is a chore. My advice is to take your normal game, and then see if you can adapt any other recovery shots on the practice green. Don't feel you have to putt from everywhere or use the hybrid chip if you are not comfortable with them.

> @bird206 said:

> > @Dsevans8 said:

> > Ok let me start with a little preface to how things wen't for me... short game was just awful. I mean I wish I could have just thrown it into the Ocean and left it there but in the end I had to make do with what I had. The weather was very nice, just a little rain and a nice steady wind picking up around noon and probably blowing 20-25mph. Now this thread was all about course strategy, and maybe more specifically about strategy and how aggressive to play off the tee. I came in well prepared with my yardage books and notes about distance to hazards, carry lines, and in general trying to play to the safest landing areas. My first thought is that just looking at the books and google earth images does not provide enough insight into truly being able to gauge what shot and where to play that shot. Second is that the wind will be the deciding factor in all club selections. All of my notes were based off of no wind. Obviously that is not a real assumption when you are playing on the coast, but it can be a good reference for you to start at and then decide to add club or take away based on wind direction. Last nothing really matters if you can't hit the ball where you are aiming!! Like I said, short game was just really bad, but in the 7 rounds that I played I scored anywhere between 79-86. I think a caddie would have been good for 3 strokes a round on the greens for sure. One of the biggest things is that you need to avoid the fairway bunkers, those are easily going to cost you a stroke and should be avoided at all cost. On Trails especially, I found myself in more bunkers in the fairway then I even knew where there. I felt like the holes seemed to all slope and funnel your ball to the bunkers on a few of those holes where you can't see the bunkers from the tee box. Also being in some of those massive blow out bunkers on Pacific like the one on #3 and #13 cost me heavily. I don't want to give you a play by play of each hole and my decision, but I would love to discuss course strategy and what I though strategically about each hole. Ask some questions and I will respond and we can get this ball moving. I will post more details and pics in my trip review.

>

> Thanks for the insight. I've read in the forums that a 60 degree wedge is not needed on any of the courses. Is that entirely for sure? How deep is the biggest bunker on the course? If you do end up in a real deep bunker will a super wide open 56 degree get you out of that bunker, or would you need to go with a 60 degree? Of course, the first strategy is to avoid that bunker in the first place.

interesting i struggled really badly with my 60 also and after a day i just left it in the bag and used my 54. after i got back from my bandon trip last week and i was talking to one of my golf coaches about my struggles with the 60 at bandon, his first comment was also that my first mistake was trying to use a 60 at bandon. that you dont need it.

the caddie i had at bandon was also leaning me more towards my 54 but i kept using my 60 but i gave in after the first day.

when i was in the bunker at bandon and using my 54 instead of 60, the caddie just kept reminding me to swing hard and through with the 54 and that i didnt need as much loft. and he was right.

around the green at bandon where i normally played my 60, my caddie had me try some shots with my hybrid and 8 iron that worked out better than my 60.

@johntchow That's what I love about Bandon. No hard or fast rules about how to play any shots. The high lofted shot off of the tight lies is a difficult and risky shot for sure. That's why I started playing balls off the back foot and hitting the low check shot with my 60. I also used my 55 out of the bunkers plenty, the sand was much softer than my home course so I needed to make sure I was getting the ball out of those bunkers. All that being said overall my short game was just garbage, which is why is probably stuck to my 60 and just left most other stuff in the bag. Pretty comfortable with that so it helped some.

The sand at Bandon is beach sand. Much finer than the 'kosher salt' sand that most are familiar with. There is a different strategy involved in simply getting **out** of those bunkers. You definitely hit closer to the ball and firmer.

And the fairway bunkers there are truly penal. If my ball rolls into one of those (and that happens quite a bit), I'm hoping that I can hit an approach stiff and give myself a chance at par. I consider myself lucky if I have any shot that allows me to advance the ball at all toward the hole.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I feel like trying to overthink it and change your game just for Bandon (I fell victim to this as well) can turn around and bite you in the end. Mainly with the short game, specifically chipping and pitching. Once I went back to shots I normally play, I played much better. The only thing I really accounted for is that you can be a little more creative in where the ball can land to take advantage of some of the slopes. In terms of off the tee, I think they key is, like most have already said, is avoiding the fairway bunkers, even if it means laying back a bit on some holes. One thing that is tough until you play it is that it the undulation in the fairways can dictate what to hit off the tee because you have to factor in some roll or what you might hit that will direct you into the bunkers. The only piece that I really changed in terms of my usual strategy is avoiding the 30-50 yd pitches. Usually I feel confident with these shots but they are tough at Bandon because there are so many more factors to try and judge (slope, wind, bounce, etc.) I found it was better on Par 5's or short par 4's to either get as close to the green as you can or lay back for a full wedge shot that can land close to the pin. Ultimately, play to your strengths, no matter the course and enjoy the beauty of those courses. Counting the days till I go back (16 days :smile: )

@schneidm10 Couldn't agree more with your thoughts. I really wanted to play shots around the green the "Bandon" way and I suffered through some really bad shots. I tried to just do things the way I normally would and that seemed to produce better results. Granted if I had more time and access I would definitely develop better touch with some of my other shots and feel much more confident using them, and knowing when and when not to bring them out. Also you are right in the fact that the number in the yardage book is where you want to end up, not necessarily where you want to let your ball land. Lots of roll out an undulation, coupled with the wind directions make decisions off the tee a little more complex then just a yardage and a club.

I pretty much commit to playing everything within a hundred yards with my 27 degree hybrid from the moment I cross onto the property. Granted, I live pretty close and get over there more than your average Bandonista, but it has served me well over time. A lot depends on your game and what you're playing for.... score, match play, skins, etc.

My commitment to the bump and run started as just a joke of sorts, not to take the scoring too seriously and remember that you're playing "real links" golf. Then it started to improve over time and I found that when giving strokes to higher handicap players I tended to fare better as it typically took double out of play. It takes some practice that's for sure.

I think guys that play a very clean short game with a very low bounce 60 can typically pull off the occasional miracle off of the tight lies, but for the most part I play better with a mid bounce 55 degree as my highest wedge, I can chunk them out of the bunkers pretty effectively and it keeps me from getting too cute and costing myself strokes.

Glad the OP enjoyed his trip. It's a humbling place to bang it around. Sometimes the stars line up and you can link 18 holes together but I find it to be more rare out there on the coast than just about any where I've ever played golf. Between the wind, the sand, the lies, the grainy bumpy greens, the fairway contours, there is a lot of defense. Agreed, though wide generous landings, and short tee to green keeps it playable for the masses.

> @"Matt J" said:

> I pretty much commit to playing everything within a hundred yards with my 27 degree hybrid from the moment I cross onto the property. Granted, I live pretty close and get over there more than your average Bandonista, but it has served me well over time. A lot depends on your game and what you're playing for.... score, match play, skins, etc.

>

> My commitment to the bump and run started as just a joke of sorts, not to take the scoring too seriously and remember that you're playing "real links" golf. Then it started to improve over time and I found that when giving strokes to higher handicap players I tended to fare better as it typically took double out of play. It takes some practice that's for sure.

>

> I think guys that play a very clean short game with a very low bounce 60 can typically pull off the occasional miracle off of the tight lies, but for the most part I play better with a mid bounce 55 degree as my highest wedge, I can chunk them out of the bunkers pretty effectively and it keeps me from getting too cute and costing myself strokes.

>

> Glad the OP enjoyed his trip. It's a humbling place to bang it around. Sometimes the stars line up and you can link 18 holes together but I find it to be more rare out there on the coast than just about any where I've ever played golf. Between the wind, the sand, the lies, the grainy bumpy greens, the fairway contours, there is a lot of defense. Agreed, though wide generous landings, and short tee to green keeps it playable for the masses.

Yeah it is such an amazing place to play. That's why I can't think of a better place to play golf with buddies. Course is playable for all, presents different challenges every time you tee it up. The truth is the more I watched the more I noticed that indeed it was the short game that separated the really good scores and average rounds. Two examples... 11th at Old Mac.... drove it right rough past the gorse bushes had a 9 iron downwind... 3/4 swing lands hole high, hits like a rock, rolls off the left of the green into the collection area. Ball sitting up, hit a nice chip just lacked a little speed and ball rolled all the way back off the green. Now I have an uphill shot with not much green to work with. Caught my pitch a little heavy and ball just climbed to the top of the green, and then it was back at my feet. Determined I played it again and left it to 5 feet, cleaned up for a double. Walked away thinking I didn't really hit a bad shot on that hole, but the contours of the green and slopes gently took 2 mediocre short game shots and killed me. 16th at Bandon playing downwind and tees way up, playing 275 as they were prepping back tee boxes for a upcoming tournament. Hit the ball over the green to the 17th tee boxes. Determined to play it Bandon style, took the putter, I knew I had an easy birdie.... left it short and rolled back down the slope. Hit the next and it barely made it up the fringe to the green, then two putted from there... We can call that a two put bogey hahaha. Bandon is all about the short game, but it can be so difficult to believe or be confident in shots you have never played or practiced. I guess I will just have to get back up there asap to continue my mastery of the courses.

I make a point, for **several **rounds leading up to a trip, to play 'Bandon shots' at my home course at every opportunity, just to shake the rust off of those knockdown long-irons, bump & runs (with everything 7 iron or loftier), hybrid pitches and long putts.

Then I'll spend most of my time on the range once I get to the resort, 1) getting used to the tight fescue for those same shots 2) spending a t least 20 minutes in one of their practice bunkers remembering how to hit out of that fine beach sand 3) reading/rolling some long putts,both on and off the practice green.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 4 weeks later...

> @"Matt J" said:

> Again, I'd recommend a caddie. I get that sometimes it's not in the budget, but after travel, food, and alcohol, if you took a caddie for the first time you played each course assuming you played all 4, that's just $400. Well worth it, especially for a plus 2.

>

> I guess I pushed duff's buttons. Sorry buddy.

>

> There's been a huge propensity for guys to obsess over pre-planning for Bandon. I don't want to stop coming into the Bandon threads, but I'm getting pretty close.

>

> My point is really that you could pre-order the yardage books for $32 - see where the fairway trouble is on each hole, calculate wind on the tee box, and get pretty close to figuring out if you can carry the trouble or not, without ever going on Google Earth.

>

> For all the worry about fairway trouble, a guy who plays off a 7 and hits his hybrid 240 could hit 3 iron off of every tee and save more shots practicing chipping with a hybrid than trying to place perfect drives. My $.02. Have a nice trip.

"Just $400".

Greens fees are $215 at the moment, you can't really get a tee time other than as a single without a room which is a minimum of $100 a night if you share. Food at the resort runs you $25 to $50 per day minimum. So, yes 'just 400' if that seems like a large amount then clearly you're not taking caddies hence not much to discuss, no?

I remember how intimidated I felt the first time I stepped onto the property. I arrived the day before just 3 hours prior to sunset. I got permission to walk with a group teeing off on 10, the further we progressed on the back nine the more I thought what great beauty, style and treachery these holes have. The group I was shadowing were Beavers from OSU, and it didn't matter if our on in two as most three putted. B D is somewhat a shadow of what it was a decade ago. Gorse lined fairways with undulations demanding that you land your tee or second in the right place or your looking at a boogie or worse. Since that time, they have soften the lines and added width to landing areas. I learned to play a punch shot and let the contours be my friend. ( thank you wild man) I learned bogey is a good score. I learned to slow down and enjoy the moment , and the beauty that Bandon offers. I've met people who don't even play the game of golf but, drove out of their way just to see Bandon. I talked with visitors from all over the world and learned to say konichee wa ( thank you in Japanese) and " buggar off ya swell backed old ewe! " from a seventy year old Scottsman. Bandon delivers on so many levels and tests all parts of our game and emotions and if there was one shot anybody should learn it's the lag putt. Walk off any of the four courses knowing ya could of done better and there's always tomorrow to do it. I miss ya Warren Leroy Dow, (shorty) hold my place on your tee.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

When the wind is really kicking, hybrid or putter from anywhere inside 100yds is not a bad play if you can get on or near the green. It's even not a bad idea if it takes you two sometimes depending on where you are and where the pin is. At least you have some sense of where the ball may end up. Think about all the angles and slopes and figure out how to safely give yourself a chance at par or bogey.

Of course if you're an elite player or the wind is down, have at it.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino