Playing in mud

bwbw

Two of three of our US Kids tournaments have been played in horrible conditions. There were very few dry spots throughout the course. However, in these conditions, what do you tell your juniors/what do their coaches have them focus on? I've noticed with both of my daughters that if the conditions are sloppy they become a little more timid about their swing and have a tendency to catch heavy or top it/thin it.

I'm praying for dryer fairways soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winter tournament in our area was horrible. We played in windy downpours with mud everywhere. Everything would just plug, and you would spend time digging for your ball even on the fairways. I almost lost my shoes on one of the holes.

I'd be interested to hear about others as well, but one thing I told my son is that everyone plays under the same condition.

Golf is a fair game.

> @tiger1873 said:

> Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Before teeing off, when you know conditions will be poor, throw mud all over their shoes and pants/shorts.

Sometimes people are tentative because they don’t want to get dirty. It’s subconscious.

A friend of mine was on a moutain bike team, and the coach would do this before they started so they wouldn’t be tempted to try to keep their bikes clean in a race.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

>

> 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

> >

> > 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

>

> I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

I agree. It is something you have to get used to in South Florida.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

> >

> > 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

>

> I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

Leezer, I agree. In wet conditions my son doesn't get affected nearly as bad as some other kids. He is a sweeper.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

> > >

> > > 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

> >

> > I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

>

> I agree. It is something you have to get used to in South Florida.

Yes in Florida you really have to get used of the rain. One of my daughters first tournament in Florida was during a tropical storm last year. I was just happy she didn’t quit that day. Now when it rains she just grabs a rain jacket and keeps going without missing a beat the biggest the biggest problem is trying to putt on flooded greens like below.

pt3j9ud4evy2.jpeg

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

> > > >

> > > > 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

> > >

> > > I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

> >

> > I agree. It is something you have to get used to in South Florida.

>

> Yes in Florida you really have to get used of the rain. One of my daughters first tournament in Florida was during a tropical storm last year. I was just happy she didn’t quit that day. Now when it rains she just grabs a rain jacket and keeps going without missing a beat the biggest the biggest problem is trying to putt on flooded greens like below.

>

> pt3j9ud4evy2.jpeg

Can you utilize Rule 25-1b?

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

> > > > >

> > > > > 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

> > > >

> > > > I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

> > >

> > > I agree. It is something you have to get used to in South Florida.

> >

> > Yes in Florida you really have to get used of the rain. One of my daughters first tournament in Florida was during a tropical storm last year. I was just happy she didn’t quit that day. Now when it rains she just grabs a rain jacket and keeps going without missing a beat the biggest the biggest problem is trying to putt on flooded greens like below.

> >

> > pt3j9ud4evy2.jpeg

>

> Can you utilize Rule 25-1b?

No it wouldn't have helped in this situation. It looks dry in the picture but the hole itself was actually full of water. When courses get this water logged a rain delay would have made more sense. Since we are not playing in the PGA the chance of that happening is slim to none around here unless there is lightning.

I also can't blame the officials either for not calling it because weather delays cause lots of problems for them. After a few holes the sun came up and the conditions improved. Just have to learn to live with it.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @mrshinsa said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

> > > >

> > > > I agree. It is something you have to get used to in South Florida.

> > >

> > > Yes in Florida you really have to get used of the rain. One of my daughters first tournament in Florida was during a tropical storm last year. I was just happy she didn’t quit that day. Now when it rains she just grabs a rain jacket and keeps going without missing a beat the biggest the biggest problem is trying to putt on flooded greens like below.

> > >

> > > pt3j9ud4evy2.jpeg

> >

> > Can you utilize Rule 25-1b?

>

>

> No it wouldn't have helped in this situation. It looks dry in the picture but the hole itself was actually full of water. When courses get this water logged a rain delay would have made more sense. Since we are not playing in the PGA the chance of that happening is slim to none around here unless there is lightning.

>

> I also can't blame the officials either for not calling it because weather delays cause lots of problems for them. After a few holes the sun came up and the conditions improved. Just have to learn to live with it.

I don't know who was running the tournament, but I would think the SFPGA and FSGA would have suspended play. Was involved like this a couple of times and play was suspended by the FSGA.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

> > > >

> > > > 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

> > >

> > > I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

> >

> > I agree. It is something you have to get used to in South Florida.

>

> Yes in Florida you really have to get used of the rain. One of my daughters first tournament in Florida was during a tropical storm last year. I was just happy she didn’t quit that day. Now when it rains she just grabs a rain jacket and keeps going without missing a beat the biggest the biggest problem is trying to putt on flooded greens like below.

>

> pt3j9ud4evy2.jpeg

Last year, right around this time, we had to play in conditions about this bad with it 40 degrees and blowing about 10 mph. I agree, I thought my son was going to quit that day and he just grinded it out like it was nothing. Kid in our group shot a 39! Down here, there is so much rain in the Spring they are very hesitant to call off a tournament. We had no business playing.

My middle daughter is a digger, so playing in mud is hard for her. My oldest is a sweeper who is working on getting a more through and down with irons in particular (she has pretty good height no faster of a swing speed she has). Where it affects my oldest's game is rollout. It leaves her longer than she cares on second shots.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback though. It's tough to get them mentally ready to play. Even the better player in our division, who we were paired with on Saturday, hated playing in it and had a much higher score than normal. They all mentally checked out by hole 10 because of conditions. We're friends with this family, so I had to play the encouraging dad role and just encourage everyone to grind it out and wrap it up.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

> > > > >

> > > > > I agree. It is something you have to get used to in South Florida.

> > > >

> > > > Yes in Florida you really have to get used of the rain. One of my daughters first tournament in Florida was during a tropical storm last year. I was just happy she didn’t quit that day. Now when it rains she just grabs a rain jacket and keeps going without missing a beat the biggest the biggest problem is trying to putt on flooded greens like below.

> > > >

> > > > pt3j9ud4evy2.jpeg

> > >

> > > Can you utilize Rule 25-1b?

> >

> >

> > No it wouldn't have helped in this situation. It looks dry in the picture but the hole itself was actually full of water. When courses get this water logged a rain delay would have made more sense. Since we are not playing in the PGA the chance of that happening is slim to none around here unless there is lightning.

> >

> > I also can't blame the officials either for not calling it because weather delays cause lots of problems for them. After a few holes the sun came up and the conditions improved. Just have to learn to live with it.

>

> I don't know who was running the tournament, but I would think the SFPGA and FSGA would have suspended play. Was involved like this a couple of times and play was suspended by the FSGA.

This was a South Florida PGA tournament. I agree they should have suspended play but they didn't. I even showed an official the picture but we just kept playing. Sometimes you just have to play through it.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @mrshinsa said:

> > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > > > > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > > > > > > Everyone has to play the same conditions. Some kids do much better in bad weather. I think you just need to practice in those conditions. When the weather is bad lowering expectations on score also goes a long way.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > 100% Agree. Everyone had to play the same weather. In my opinion it really separates those that are good ball striker from those that aren't.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I have no evidence but I feel like sweepers would fare better in wet conditions than diggers. I hope it doesn't rain around here for a while, my son's umbrella snapped this weekend when the cart fell over.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I agree. It is something you have to get used to in South Florida.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes in Florida you really have to get used of the rain. One of my daughters first tournament in Florida was during a tropical storm last year. I was just happy she didn’t quit that day. Now when it rains she just grabs a rain jacket and keeps going without missing a beat the biggest the biggest problem is trying to putt on flooded greens like below.

> > > > >

> > > > > pt3j9ud4evy2.jpeg

> > > >

> > > > Can you utilize Rule 25-1b?

> > >

> > >

> > > No it wouldn't have helped in this situation. It looks dry in the picture but the hole itself was actually full of water. When courses get this water logged a rain delay would have made more sense. Since we are not playing in the PGA the chance of that happening is slim to none around here unless there is lightning.

> > >

> > > I also can't blame the officials either for not calling it because weather delays cause lots of problems for them. After a few holes the sun came up and the conditions improved. Just have to learn to live with it.

> >

> > I don't know who was running the tournament, but I would think the SFPGA and FSGA would have suspended play. Was involved like this a couple of times and play was suspended by the FSGA.

>

> This was a South Florida PGA tournament. I agree they should have suspended play but they didn't. I even showed an official the picture but we just kept playing. Sometimes you just have to play through it.

If I were the player I would have called an official to ask for the best relief due to standing water. If there is no relief on the green they have to suspend play. If they told the kid they wouldn't get relief, I would have walked off the course. To much on the line to deal with crap like that.

• 1 month later...

The Midwest has been nothing but cold and mud this season. It’s getting old, I’m not a fan. I would give anything to play a firm fast track again. I’m not sure we are going to get that opportunity this year, sucks.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1