2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Big drivers - why?

At today’s local tournament I saw many young kids playing with full-length adult drivers that they could barely swing properly.

Others appeared to have adult drivers cut down for them or custom made with a shorter shaft.

My kid is using a US Kids TS3 driver that corresponds with height - is there really that much of a difference? Seems like using a club too big would ruin the swing.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 7YO last year played an adult Cobra Fly-Z+ (9*-12* degree) driver with a Flynn Shaft all summer tour. He drove it fine and was as consistent with it as you would expect a 7YO to be with any club. We put it on the shelf last fall and played a Cobra BioCell Junior (11*-14* degree) with 39" Cobra Junior shaft. The Fly-Z+ head without weight installed is ~187g. The BioCell is closer to ~198g or so. The Fly-Z+ is the same headweight as the USKG driver (TS-51" models...not sure about TS3-51" models) clubhead I believe. The only downside in the Fly-Z+ is the loft at maximum 12*.

We actually broke out the Fly-Z+ clubhead today with the Cobra Junior 39" shaft and had our best round as an 8YO at even par with a double on the card. Looks like we'll leave that driver in the bag for a while again.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I actually prefer my kid using a TS3 driver I think it better for them in the long run. I think the smaller head and shorter shafts is actually better for younger kids in teaching them to hit the ball better. At younger ages for girls it doesn’t matter much just showing up and finishing is enough. So we stuck with the US kids driver as long as possible. But that all changes once they get older.

Well once she turned 8 though it was very appearent using US kids drivers is not going be viable if we want to play in tournaments. The OEM drivers are easier to hit and they go farther. So like everyone else I broke down and brought OEM drivers and woods and fit them to her specs.

Okay from your post if they are using adult heads with adult full length shafts that is obviously ridiculous and is going to negatively affect a kids game. However, the overall unanimous feeling among the Junior golf community is mating an adult head to a junior shaft (normally Flynn Golf) that is the appropriate length makes for a far superior driver. The USKids Tour heads are already above 400 cc's so the heads are comparable in size and the technology on the OEM adult heads is just way better. I can speak to the fact that my son's BioCell 3 wood with a Flynn Shaft outflies his USKids TS Driver by a few yards on average and his Callaway XR16 driver with a Flynn Shaft honestly obliterates the TS Driver.

This is also why companies have started coming out with Junior specific drivers. Cobra has a junior F9 driver and Ping has a couple of junior drivers. Junior golf is a hot market right now and companies are starting to tap into it. Most parents use the US Kids chart for length and some use the Ping chart as well. There are some variations on length from one chart to another. US Kids tends to error on the shorter side of things. Parents are going with the longer drivers because they equate the longer shaft with longer distances. This can be true with some kids but not with all kids. The key to any junior club is the weighting of it. The bigger kids can use longer and heavier clubs because they are stronger. So its not always an age thing but more of a size thing that you need to look at.

My daughter is playing the USK TS3 irons, but we just moved her from a Cobra F7 junior to a Cobra women's driver. She gained 20+ yards. Saturday, she drove one ball well over 200 with rollout. Most of her other drives were 180-190.

She's 5'1"-ish and weights a whopping 74 pounds. But, she hits the ball pretty pure with the full length driver.

I only made the change after seeing her swing this club and seeing the accuracy and distance improve. She only missed 3 fairways all Saturday, only one of them to the right. To me, this was the right decision for her game, especially since she is small and playing the distances she is. I think it all comes down the player. But agree that OEM is better than USK for driver.

Most have this though in terms of us kids but the ts3 is a different animal than the older tour series. That said a lot of OEM driver heads actually weight the same as the US kids heads do. Ping prodig head is sub 190, Callaway has a few especially the epic star is sub 190 and a very light weight shaft, TM has some around the 195 range. With kids getting the right overall weight is the most important thing in getting max out of their driver and have high enough swing speed to truly take advantage of the OEM heads is a different story.

> @darter79 said:

> Most have this though in terms of us kids but the ts3 is a different animal than the older tour series. That said a lot of OEM driver heads actually weight the same as the US kids heads do. Ping prodig head is sub 190, Callaway has a few especially the epic star is sub 190 and a very light weight shaft, TM has some around the 195 range. With kids getting the right overall weight is the most important thing in getting max out of their driver and have high enough swing speed to truly take advantage of the OEM heads is a different story.

I like the TS3 especially the new ones much better then past versions. But it doesn't compare with the epic star. I am seeing a big jump with the epic in real world distance probably 20-30 yards and at least 75 to 100 yards difference on mishits.

The ts3 isn't a bad driver it's just doesn't have as big of sweet spot as the Epic Star. There is a noticeable loss of distance on the TS3 on poor hits. I sort of like that on the range but not in tournaments.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @darter79 said:

> > Most have this though in terms of us kids but the ts3 is a different animal than the older tour series. That said a lot of OEM driver heads actually weight the same as the US kids heads do. Ping prodig head is sub 190, Callaway has a few especially the epic star is sub 190 and a very light weight shaft, TM has some around the 195 range. With kids getting the right overall weight is the most important thing in getting max out of their driver and have high enough swing speed to truly take advantage of the OEM heads is a different story.

>

>

> I like the TS3 especially the new ones much better then past versions. But it doesn't compare with the epic star. I am seeing a big jump with the epic in real world distance probably 20-30 yards and at least 75 to 100 yards difference on mishits.

>

> The ts3 isn't a bad driver it's just doesn't have as big of sweet spot as the Epic Star. There is a noticeable loss of distance on the TS3 on poor hits. I sort of like that on the range but not in tournaments.

$699?

No thanks.

> @BertGA said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @darter79 said:

> > > Most have this though in terms of us kids but the ts3 is a different animal than the older tour series. That said a lot of OEM driver heads actually weight the same as the US kids heads do. Ping prodig head is sub 190, Callaway has a few especially the epic star is sub 190 and a very light weight shaft, TM has some around the 195 range. With kids getting the right overall weight is the most important thing in getting max out of their driver and have high enough swing speed to truly take advantage of the OEM heads is a different story.

> >

> >

> > I like the TS3 especially the new ones much better then past versions. But it doesn't compare with the epic star. I am seeing a big jump with the epic in real world distance probably 20-30 yards and at least 75 to 100 yards difference on mishits.

> >

> > The ts3 isn't a bad driver it's just doesn't have as big of sweet spot as the Epic Star. There is a noticeable loss of distance on the TS3 on poor hits. I sort of like that on the range but not in tournaments.

>

> $699?

>

> No thanks.

You can buy them used on Ebay for around $200 . No way would I pay $699 for a driver

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CALLAWAY-GOLF-2017-GBB-EPIC-STAR-DRIVER-12-GRAPHITE-WOMENS/352563940992?hash=item521672ce80:g:bNIAAOSwH2VcNTgs

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> > > @tiger1873 said:

> > > > @darter79 said:

> > > > Most have this though in terms of us kids but the ts3 is a different animal than the older tour series. That said a lot of OEM driver heads actually weight the same as the US kids heads do. Ping prodig head is sub 190, Callaway has a few especially the epic star is sub 190 and a very light weight shaft, TM has some around the 195 range. With kids getting the right overall weight is the most important thing in getting max out of their driver and have high enough swing speed to truly take advantage of the OEM heads is a different story.

> > >

> > >

> > > I like the TS3 especially the new ones much better then past versions. But it doesn't compare with the epic star. I am seeing a big jump with the epic in real world distance probably 20-30 yards and at least 75 to 100 yards difference on mishits.

> > >

> > > The ts3 isn't a bad driver it's just doesn't have as big of sweet spot as the Epic Star. There is a noticeable loss of distance on the TS3 on poor hits. I sort of like that on the range but not in tournaments.

> >

> > $699?

> >

> > No thanks.

>

> You can buy them used on Ebay for around $200 . No way would I pay $699 for a driver

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/CALLAWAY-GOLF-2017-GBB-EPIC-STAR-DRIVER-12-GRAPHITE-WOMENS/352563940992?hash=item521672ce80:g:bNIAAOSwH2VcNTgs

Here's one with a Grand Bassara GB 39 shaft at $279 and no bids and no reserve.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Callaway-Golf-GBB-Epic-Star-12-Driver-Senior-Flex-Grand-Bassara-Graphite-Shaft/192878682238

> @BertGA said:

> Is anyone worried these may be counterfeit?

You must have not noticed that The link I gave was being sold by callaway’s preowned department. I am pretty sure you wouldn’t see callaway selling fake used clubs.

There are probably better deals if you look hard enough. I think most of the bigger sellers sell authentic stuff. Last years clubs are usually a lot cheaper.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @BertGA said:

> > Is anyone worried these may be counterfeit?

>

> You must have not noticed that The link I gave was being sold by callaway’s preowned department. I am pretty sure you wouldn’t see callaway selling fake used clubs.

>

> There are probably better deals if you look hard enough. I think most of the bigger sellers sell authentic stuff. Last years clubs are usually a lot cheaper.

>

>

I did not follow your link. Just saw the eBay domain. Wildcat’s, however, is not Cally certified from what I could tell.

I just recall watching an episode of something re; counterfeit clubs and their prevalence. I think it was made by a major manufacturer, so obviously they are interested in all of us buying new through retail. Mostly just wondered how prevalent phony clubs actually are.

> @BertGA said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @BertGA said:

> > > Is anyone worried these may be counterfeit?

> >

> > You must have not noticed that The link I gave was being sold by callaway’s preowned department. I am pretty sure you wouldn’t see callaway selling fake used clubs.

> >

> > There are probably better deals if you look hard enough. I think most of the bigger sellers sell authentic stuff. Last years clubs are usually a lot cheaper.

> >

> >

> I did not follow your link. Just saw the eBay domain. Wildcat’s, however, is not Cally certified from what I could tell.

>

> I just recall watching an episode of something re; counterfeit clubs and their prevalence. I think it was made by a major manufacturer, so obviously they are interested in all of us buying new through retail. Mostly just wondered how prevalent phony clubs actually are.

>

Not sure of the frequency of counterfeit clubs on eBay. The link I posted appears to be by a seller with a pretty strong feedback rating. I believe eBay has a money back guarantee and if I received a fake that is where I would be headed. Of course, not sure if I would ever know if it is a fake or not. GBB Epic Star is a nice club but I'm also not paying $699 for one.