Private Membership / Neighborhood in Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk ?

Water Hazard

Potentially relocated to the area for work and as we try to evaluate the opportunity, I am having a difficult time finding private membership courses and/or neighborhoods.

My role will put me traveling to Suffolk, Norfolk, and occasionally VA Beach, so we are looking on the west side of Norfolk, Chesapeake, or North Suffolk area.

Any courses you recommend? I would prefer a fully private course over a semi-private but could be convinced otherwise.

Thank you

I played Greenbrier CC (Chesapeake) over Labor Day weekend and was very happy with it. Fun course in good shape. Not sure what the membership fees would be as I got on with my ClubCorp Travel membership.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

My parents are down in the Chesapeake area. Unfortunately, not on a course.. so we play public courses. For me, I play here at Kingsmill in Williamsburg.

Are you familiar with any private courses? I literally can't find any when searching.

I currently live in South Florida and there is a private golf course every mile, so just rare not to find any at all

I live in Virginia Beach.

Here are your fully private course options.

Princess Anne Country Club

Cavalier Yacht and country club

Broad Bay Country Club

Greenbrier country club

Elizabeth Manor (Portsmouth)

I'm sure there are others in Suffolk, Portsmouth area. But these are the ones I know of in VB/Norfolk area.

I've played Greenbrier, Elizabeth Manor and Cavalier. Greenbrier was last January, given it was the dead of winter (low of 28 high of 35 that day) I was really impressed with the condition of the course, as in I would have been happy with those conditions in June (other than it was brown). I've played EM numerous times, I love their greens & bunkers. I played Cavalier in a charity tournament. It was very nice as well, but my understanding it's very pricey and other than a nicer clubhouse I didn't find it that much better than greenbrier.

My understanding is, excluding Greenbrier, all of these courses are a par 70 some are even sub 6,000 yards long from the tips. That being said I absolutely love Elizabeth Manor, if it wasn't a 30-45 min drive I'd be a member there in a heart beat. I'm considering getting a membership at Greenbrier, but it's about 15-20 min drive and there is a nice public course (VB National) that takes me 5 min to get to (which includes the time to load my car, put my shoes on and take a few practice swings on the 1st tee).

Other things to note, everywhere in VB and Norfolk you will have navy jets flying over your head. Get use to it, but some courses are better than others. Greenbrier is pretty decent as far as flight patters go, but Cavalier is right under the landing/take off pattern. So you will frequently get low loud jet noises.

If you go out to Portsmouth/Suffolk it will be much better from a jet noise perspective, but don't be surprised by it either.

Are you familiar with any private courses? I literally can't find any when searching.

I currently live in South Florida and there is a private golf course every mile, so just rare not to find any at all

Jason listed the ones I know of. I'm not to sure there are any private courses in Suffolk then again, I usually stay away from there when I'm down there.

I've played Cahoon (chesapeake) before, it's public but was a beauty

Other things to note, everywhere in VB and Norfolk you will have navy jets flying over your head. Get use to it, but some courses are better than others. Greenbrier is pretty decent as far as flight patters go, but Cavalier is right under the landing/take off pattern. So you will frequently get low loud jet noises.

If you go out to Portsmouth/Suffolk it will be much better from a jet noise perspective, but don't be surprised by it either.

The jets are crazy loud at times, only took me a day or so to get used to them on the course. Greenbrier was pretty quiet when I got to tour it.

When did you play it last?

I played it a couple months ago for the first time (only been here for 3.5 years). It was in ok shape but nothing to write home about. In fact I don't see myself going there again any time soon. The rough was long, but very patchy. Weeds and crab grass has taken over certain parts of the rough, so you don't get much consistency from it. The greens were dying in certain spots. The people I played with had been members there for 5+ years. Apparently the owner always took great care of it, then last year he asked the city to rezone it so he could sell it as commercial real estate. They told him to pound sand and he has cut way back on maintenance according to the guys I played with.

Also being someone who is prone to spraying drives I didn't like that the entire back 9 was lined with houses and OB on one side of the hole, except #10. Oh and #18 but it's lined with water down both sides.

When did you play it last?

I played it a couple months ago for the first time (only been here for 3.5 years). It was in ok shape but nothing to write home about. In fact I don't see myself going there again any time soon. The rough was long, but very patchy. Weeds and crab grass has taken over certain parts of the rough, so you don't get much consistency from it. The greens were dying in certain spots. The people I played with had been members there for 5+ years. Apparently the owner always took great care of it, then last year he asked the city to rezone it so he could sell it as commercial real estate. They told him to pound sand and he has cut way back on maintenance according to the guys I played with.

Also being someone who is prone to spraying drives I didn't like that the entire back 9 was lined with houses and OB on one side of the hole, except #10. Oh and #18 but it's lined with water down both sides.

Oh no! We played it probably about a year ago now... Don't know if I'll go back then! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So cahoon officially closed yesterday.

So yeah you aren't going to go back haha.

Woah, closed for good? Housing?

Don't know, I assume it will be housing or given the area maybe a strip mall of some sort.

I live here. The stripall is already around the corner. It'll be housing as the schools here are all top notch... And why you pay 50k more than you would elsewhere

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

• 2 months later...

I lived there for about 5 years and have been gone a year now. I think the private courses have been summed up well, and none are that great of an option (I'd probably go Greenbrier first). If you aren't sold on any of them, the area has pretty great public golf (most of these are semi-privates with membership options), my suggestions of the best ranked in order:

Riverfront (Suffolk)

Signature at West Neck (VB)

Nansemond River (Suffolk)

Virginia Beach National (VB)

Heron Ridge (VB)

Cypress Point (VB)

Bide-a-Wee (Portsmouth)

• 3 weeks later...

Cedar Point Country Club in Suffolk is your best bet. One of best courses in the area public or private. Has a 9 hole par 3 course on the water as well. Hosted the VSGA 4-ball tournament last year. It's over 7,000 from the tips so it offers a really good challenge and is always kept in really good shape. I used to be a member at Elizabeth Manor but I am now at Cedar Point. I've played all the public and private courses in the area and Bayville is probably the only one that compares when you consider a championship golf course plus dining, pool, and other things you want from a private club experience. DM me if you would like more details. Sorry I'm just now posting, I haven't been on the site in a while.

> @chris42084 said:

> Cedar Point Country Club in Suffolk is your best bet. One of best courses in the area public or private. Has a 9 hole par 3 course on the water as well. Hosted the VSGA 4-ball tournament last year. It's over 7,000 from the tips so it offers a really good challenge and is always kept in really good shape. I used to be a member at Elizabeth Manor but I am now at Cedar Point. I've played all the public and private courses in the area and Bayville is probably the only one that compares when you consider a championship golf course plus dining, pool, and other things you want from a private club experience. DM me if you would like more details. Sorry I'm just now posting, I haven't been on the site in a while.

This is the most accurate advice yet. Probably the 2nd best course in tidewater behind Bayville IMO. I can see Elizabeth Manor across the river from my house and gladly drive to Cedar point to play.

Im am a member at Greebrier County Club...beautiful golf course I love all the amenities that are offer to Greenbrier, great gym...good food, My family love the country club atmosphere and It is a ClubCorp club which offers lots of bonuses...

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max, 10.5 deg,  UST Helium 5F3, Regula

5-Wood - Cobra LTDx Max,  16.5 deg, UST Helium 5F3, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 3 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 4 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 5 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Irons - PXG 0311 XP Gen 3 - 5 thru PW, AW, Mistubishi MMT 70, Regular

Wedges - PXG 0311 Forged, 54* and 58*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 putter, 34* shaft

Balls - Callaway Chrome Soft X balls

• 2 weeks later...

> @parrnj said:

> > @chris42084 said:

> > Cedar Point Country Club in Suffolk is your best bet. One of best courses in the area public or private. Has a 9 hole par 3 course on the water as well. Hosted the VSGA 4-ball tournament last year. It's over 7,000 from the tips so it offers a really good challenge and is always kept in really good shape. I used to be a member at Elizabeth Manor but I am now at Cedar Point. I've played all the public and private courses in the area and Bayville is probably the only one that compares when you consider a championship golf course plus dining, pool, and other things you want from a private club experience. DM me if you would like more details. Sorry I'm just now posting, I haven't been on the site in a while.

>

> This is the most accurate advice yet. Probably the 2nd best course in tidewater behind Bayville IMO. I can see Elizabeth Manor across the river from my house and gladly drive to Cedar point to play.

I was a member at Elizabeth Manor for 15yrs and even lived on the course for 4yrs, left last year after getting tired of ongoing issues and decline of the course conditions. I joined Cedar last May(2018) and couldn't be happier. As Chris(who I actually play golf with out there) and @parrnj mentioned above, outside of Bayville(which is a golf club and not a country club) Cedar Point is hands down one of the best courses in the area, strong layout, really good conidtion, a fun par 3 course, full amenties which will be getting upgraded at the end of the summer. A whole new pool complex is being built, renovation of all of the bunkers on the course, club house and tennis renovations, and other things planned for down the line. There are a lot of strong players, both young and older, lots of groups and games to play in, plenty of club tournaments.

Outside of Virginia Beach which has some nice private clubs but lack land, Greenbrier, Cedar Point and Elizabeth Manor are your private club options, and Elizabeth Manor has fallen behind most of the public courses in the area.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Black 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-6 w/Project X 6.5

Titleist T-100S 7-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

• 4 months later...

Not sure if you're still looking but Elizabeth Manor was recently purchased by a private investor. The word is he will be spending whatever necessary to return the club back to its hey day. May be worth getting in on the ground floor as I believe they will be limiting memberships.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

> @cristphoto said:

> Is Kiln Creek still private? I was there a number of years ago and it seemed nice. It’s in the Hampton Roads area.

Kiln Creek is public. Oj, sorry, "resort." I'm sure it's a resort comparable to Pebble Beach... Sarcasm there, not directed at you Crist. It was OK when I played. But if the OP is living in Norfolk, or especially Chesapeake or Suffolk, it'd be 45 minutes to get to the course each way if the traffic was good; with the HRBT, that's next to never if the sun is shining.

With a lot of the clubs mentioned You can get a full or associate membership.

I just played VB National Sunday and the course is in really good shape. My only issue is the pace of play. Took almost 5

hours and that was no different than Riverfront a few weeks ago. The marshals have to get out there and push people.

G 9 HC HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
TS2 S+ 80x
915f P95x
919 Tour 4-P KBS Tour 130
VR Forged 52/56/60 S400
O Works 3T

• 1 year later...
On 3/29/2019 at 6:33 PM, pduvie said:

Im am a member at Greebrier County Club...beautiful golf course I love all the amenities that are offer to Greenbrier, great gym...good food, My family love the country club atmosphere and It is a ClubCorp club which offers lots of bonuses...

Just joined Greenbrier for a weekday membership. Family schedule doesn’t allow me much weekend golf but looking forward to range and course during the week. I live across the street and could walk there

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide