MEMBERS' CHOICE: Best driver of 2018? Poll added

knudson81

I have tried just about all of them -- 2018 and 2019 -- and nothing has beat out my TS3.

There are two biggies that I still have not tried, however, the Mizuno from this year and, believe it or not, the Ping G400 LST or Max from last year. I just never got around to trying them, but they remain on my to-do list, especially after getting so much love here.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

VOTE: Ping LST, Ping G400, Cobra F8+

I started 2018 with some serious driving issues. As any good golfer would; I blamed my equipment.

I went from my M1 back to my R9. no juice.

I bought a Kuro Kage shaft for the M1. Nope

I cut down the Kuro Kage to 44.5. uh uh.

I went for a driver fitting. Fit into Ping G400 Max - Xtorsion stiff (Cobra F8+ as alternate)

I still was struggling.

Then i figured out my swing flaw. My shoulders were a little lazy and were ganging back on my downswing.

Once i synced my swing, that G400 Max was a fairway finder.

Later in the season I picked up a G400 LST head, and my swing speed increased 1-2 MPH but with the same results (fairways).

Your mileage may vary.

Kcstock

aquapig wrote:

The amount of bull spit I read in this site is always good for a laugh.

I mean really, you're never going to meet 99% of the people who post on here so why try to impress people with loads of ****?

The average swing speed with driver on tour is about 117 and the average on this site is about 120. Same goes for distances.

Laughable at best, sad and pathetic at worst.

If this site bothers you so much then why be here? I know some people like to embellish but that's on them not on you. This site is good for a laugh sure but it also has some good information and has become a go-to for me when I'm in the market for something (which happens too much according to my lady)

Short hitters always crying foul..... Just don't engage. There are a lot of posters with proven above tour average swings speeds. 

The best for 18' was the Ping g400. Take your pick as to which one. LST, MAX, standard, SFT. they are all versions of the same thing. by far the most accurate driver of last year. the G410 seems to be following suite, although i think the field has narrowed considerably. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Peoples thoughts on the Titleist TS Series....... I have hit them and performance-wise the numbers are better than my 917 but the sound kills me, it seems like I'm ringing a cowbell!  This reminds me of the 913 to the 915........ the 915 was tingy as well.... my numbers for 915 to 917 were practically the same but the 917 sounded sooooo much better.  Curious on others opinions.

Cheers!

-Troy

[i]Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Small Batch Hazardous Green Smoke Stiff Flex[/i]
[i]Taylormade SIM 3W w/ Graphite Design ADDI 7S Stiff Flex[/i]
[i]PXG 19 Degree Gen1 Hybrid w/ Graphite Design ADDI Stiff Flex[/i]
[i]PXG 0311P Gen 5 4-W / AMT White Stiff[/i]
[i]Vokey SM 9 52, 56 and 60 Degree Wedges[/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron 009 Prototype Newport 2 / 35"[/i]

I tried to love the G400 MAX, but coming from the G30 LST for some reason it didn't work, even with the same shaft and swing weight. Bought a LST head and the first swing with the G400 LST was like rediscovering a long lost friend, it will be in the bag for a while. Full disclosure, I didn't try any other drivers in 2018.

Ping G400 LST 10°, Rogue Silver 110 70 S
Ping G430 MAX 15° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 MAX 17.5° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 22° Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 S
Ping i210 5-W Recoil Dart 105 S +½" SStep x1
Ping Glide 4.0 50, 54, 58

2022 Scotty Cameron X5 35"
TM TP5X

Fusion 10.5 with Fuji speeder 3 661 Stiff is still number one, g400 max with same shaft got knocked out by the Mizuno 190 10.5 with a speeder v Stiff regular. Fusion head is still best for me. It’s that ultra low go works for my swing. Mizuno has that low hit covers also. F9 was good but ugly, epic flash was ugly and not good for me. Wouldn’t touch a taylormade, Bridgestone, Srixon or Titleist. Wilson either.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Cant find anything better for me than my titleist TS2.

love the look of the Ping drivers, always have, but high spin and ultimately loss of distance rob me with the Pings!!

Not being the longest hitter in the world i need all the distance I can get, TS2 is up there with the best of them...so far.

Currently gaming Titleist 915D2, testing TS2, TS3 and Cobra F9 all with Tensei Ck Pro White 70 S. May try to see if the 60 S works better, but enjoying the heavier shaft so far.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

Guys, a little help please. I am 60 years old, barely hanging on to 14 handicap (mind you I was told I would not use my left arm again 16 years ago ha ha), and hit driver about 200 - 220 yards. I hit a fade and want to upgrade from my G25 and get the G400 LST. I am not after distance just want to keep the dispersion down and was thinking of a 44" stiff shaft (not too stiff, I obviously won't have the club head speed to make it work) of some description. Clearly, I am after something with minimum spin also.

Is my thinking right and what shaft do you guys suggest?

Thanks,

Rob from Sydney

I would not get the g400lst if your looking for better dispersion get the g400 max. Shaft stiffness does not depend on swing speed. Im 67, have a liw swing speed like 85-90 and play a 65 gran stiff. Regular lighter shafts spin to much as im a hitter not a swinger.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

My TS2 is the best driver of 2018 & 2019. It kicked my G400 Max out of my bag and never looked back.

Callaway Paradym 9* as 10* Graphite Design VR 6 S

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   4 - PW  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 55*/11  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 59*/11  Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw S

Titliest Vokey SM9 T-Grind Chrome 61*/ 5   TT DG S200

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

> @toddba11 said:

> Currently gaming Titleist 915D2, testing TS2, TS3 and Cobra F9 all with Tensei Ck Pro White 70 S. May try to see if the 60 S works better, but enjoying the heavier shaft so far.

That's my current setup TS2 at the C4 setting with the Tensei Pro White 60S.....I think its the best driver/shaft combo I have owned.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @agoodmanmbk said:

> > @toddba11 said:

> > Currently gaming Titleist 915D2, testing TS2, TS3 and Cobra F9 all with Tensei Ck Pro White 70 S. May try to see if the 60 S works better, but enjoying the heavier shaft so far.

>

> That's my current setup TS2 at the C4 setting with the Tensei Pro White 60S.....I think its the best driver/shaft combo I have owned.

Playing the CK Pro White in 70S as well. Best driver shaft I've ever used. Great fit for me with the M3.

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

> @"Rob McHugh" said:

> Guys, a little help please. I am 60 years old, barely hanging on to 14 handicap (mind you I was told I would not use my left arm again 16 years ago ha ha), and hit driver about 200 - 220 yards. I hit a fade and want to upgrade from my G25 and get the G400 LST. I am not after distance just want to keep the dispersion down and was thinking of a 44" stiff shaft (not too stiff, I obviously won't have the club head speed to make it work) of some description. Clearly, I am after something with minimum spin also.

> Is my thinking right and what shaft do you guys suggest?

> Thanks,

> Rob from Sydney

As noted above, I'd go G400Max over the LST. The Max is pretty much magic - driver is the most consistent club in my bag now. Shaft length and stiffness depend on your swing, speed is only part of it. Getting a good fitting should give you the info you need.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

For me it has been the G400 with a Ping Tour 80X. I had been gaming a 43.5" G30 with the same shaft and it was a real fairway finder, very consistent. I just never really felt like the ball was going that far, even though i was hitting it lights out. I picked up a G400 3 & 5 wood and knew something was wrong with the G30. The 3w was only about 5 yards shorter, and sometimes longer than my G30. I picked up an M2 for cheap and felt on well struck drives it was 20 yards longer, but I wasn't nearly as consistent with it, and my G30 was back in the bag. After my last round with G30, I came home and ordered a used 9* G400 with the 55X Alta, figured i could use my Ping Tour shaft if i didn't like the alta.

HOLY SMOKES

I got out on the fairway yesterday after work and was able to test the G30 and G400 against each other. The 55x Alta seemed too light/soft and my misses were huge. Put my 43.5" Ping Tour in it, and I was amazed. Into the wind, the less than stellar shots with the G400 went 10-16 yards further than my very well hit G30 drives, with the same shaft. Hit a few shots down wind with both the G30 and G400 and picked up 16, 25, and 55 yards over the G30. It felt just as easy to cut or draw it, although I tend to stay away from a draw on purpose due to my tendency to hook them if I am going after it.

I'm not certain that there isn't something wrong with my G30 head, but it just seems dead. I'll see if I can get on trackman with it for some numbers, but the real world test so far are very promising. The verdict is still out on the G400 being as accurate as my G30, but it feels like its gonna be a very easy switch.

I know I am late to the party, but my G400 Max is absolutely unbelievable.

I know these are famous last words, but I do not see it coming out of my bag anytime soon.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 10.5* Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 60g Stiff

Titleist 917 F2 15* Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff

Tommy Armour 845 Max 19* Tensei Blue CK 85 HY Stiff

Titleist DCI 962 (4-PW) True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Stiff

Cleveland CBX Zipcore (52* / 56* / 60*) Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g

Mizuno MCraft V

Maxfli Tourx

I'm like you CodyJSparks, late to the party. I hit my G30/DiamanaBlue combo so well but then saw review/test with G30 vs newer Ping Drivers and the 400max kicked a** so I just bought one yesterday. Now I'm in search of the right shaft for my 63 year old swing. May have to spend the money on an ultralightweight shaft. I love my Diamana but I'm losing a little swing speed with a 65 gram shaft now.

> @"Bill Guy" said:

> Loads of great and interesting input here. While club head design is important is the shaft used not even more important and what about swing speed so would be really interesting to know driver/shaft/swing speed which I am sure would help match suitability for the reader.

Yes, I think it would help, but everyone does not know their swing speed, certainly shaft and lenght though. I just saw where Brook Henderson plays a 48" shaft. Granted she chokes up about 3 inches on each club, she looks about 5’6”.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

> @"Rob McHugh" said:

> Guys, a little help please. I am 60 years old, barely hanging on to 14 handicap (mind you I was told I would not use my left arm again 16 years ago ha ha), and hit driver about 200 - 220 yards. I hit a fade and want to upgrade from my G25 and get the G400 LST. I am not after distance just want to keep the dispersion down and was thinking of a 44" stiff shaft (not too stiff, I obviously won't have the club head speed to make it work) of some description. Clearly, I am after something with minimum spin also.

> Is my thinking right and what shaft do you guys suggest?

> Thanks,

> Rob from Sydney

Don't get the LST. you need lots of swing speed for that. I am like you, 63 with the same distances. I have used the Ping G30 since it came out. Tried the G30LST and couldn't hit it as far. Just bought the G400max. It's the best Ping driver I have ever owned with the Rapture V2/with Diamana blue shaft and G30 in second place. Get the 10.5 in the stock stiff shaft. It's a nice stock shaft for the 206gram G400max head. I'm flying it around 5 yards farther than the G30 in 55-60 degree weather. It's really a cool club. pun intended

> @Putterboy68 said:

> > @"Rob McHugh" said:

> > Guys, a little help please. I am 60 years old, barely hanging on to 14 handicap (mind you I was told I would not use my left arm again 16 years ago ha ha), and hit driver about 200 - 220 yards. I hit a fade and want to upgrade from my G25 and get the G400 LST. I am not after distance just want to keep the dispersion down and was thinking of a 44" stiff shaft (not too stiff, I obviously won't have the club head speed to make it work) of some description. Clearly, I am after something with minimum spin also.

> > Is my thinking right and what shaft do you guys suggest?

> > Thanks,

> > Rob from Sydney

> Don't get the LST. you need lots of swing speed for that. I am like you, 63 with the same distances. I have used the Ping G30 since it came out. Tried the G30LST and couldn't hit it as far. Just bought the G400max. It's the best Ping driver I have ever owned with the Rapture V2/with Diamana blue shaft and G30 in second place. Get the 10.5 in the stock stiff shaft. It's a nice stock shaft for the 206gram G400max head. I'm flying it around 5 yards farther than the G30 in 55-60 degree weather. It's really a cool club. pun intended

>

Thanks mate!

Rob