2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MacGregor M09 LFF

Dave Wood's take on the LFF - demonstrated by a club owned by collector lastsnowstorm.

DW told me that he thought only increasing the face height in the MO9 LFF didn't go far enough.

Experimentally, Dave made a few prototypes given to select Tour players, like Davis Love III, which had longer faces as well as being 1 7/8" deep.

Actually, this was a forerunner of his Kool Cat driver shape - a persimmon driver with a head size approaching a modern metal wood.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the late 70's, early 80's, I probably bought and sold 200 MacGregor Drivers.

In all that time, I saw exactly 1 LFF. It had a Red Fiber Insert and sweptback soleplate.

Back in those days, most of Drivers I'd run across, were M43/M33 or M85/M75. Every once in a while, I'd see a 945. I very rarely saw a 693 and a good one would bring about $1000 (in 1980 dollars). A quality LFF would bring $1500-$2000 in Japan.

Now LFF's seem to be everywhere.

Just picked up at estate sale along with a red insert 945.

• 2 weeks later...

My M09 Jumbo LFF was supposed to be refinished by a person I had been using but due to issues it was not completed. Here's the LFF in its current state. The concern is the extra weight removed from the bottom of the LFF. I will be sending the LFF to Dave Wood to do his magic and bring it back to the state it should be.

Just thought I'd post a few pictures. I'll arrange to send this to Dave some time this winter.

RobotDoctor - that club looked like that (the removed weight) when John opened it up?

Yes, John told me that is how it was. He was really concerned about it. I am quite certain John was just prepping the driver. We had discussed methods of strengthening the bores, most likely an epoxy blend of some kind. John was just not able to complete the driver. No worries there.

I have also talked to Dave Wood about this and he said a combination of epoxy and saw dust or cork to strengthen. I will weigh the driver as is now to get a rough idea on swingweight so Dave will know what needs to be done.

Any updates? My '50-'51 went back to Dave a second time for reshaft and weight work. He made it sound like he had originally purchased the shaft for a big name player but wouldn't divulge that golfing great. It came back to me feeling perfectly balanced with a D8 swingweight. Still haven't hit a single ball and never have I gotten so much joy from just swinging a club. Fortunate for me I have lightly gamed 3 other LFFs in my collection. I wouldn't want an LFF less than D6 at the very lightest.

edited

Edited by RobotDoctor

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 5 months later...

Dave Wood's take on the LFF - demonstrated by a club owned by collector lastsnowstorm.

DW told me that he thought only increasing the face height in the MO9 LFF didn't go far enough.

Experimentally, Dave made a few prototypes given to select Tour players, like Davis Love III, which had longer faces as well as being 1 7/8" deep.

Actually, this was a forerunner of his Kool Cat driver shape - a persimmon driver with a head size approaching a modern metal wood.

Texsport

The jumbo blonde Texan I recently picked up from CC(along with the green Masters) who got it along with The Australian from someone in Australia. Does this mean that Dave made it for either Norman or Elk I wonder?

The Wood Bros Australian model was originally made for Steve Elkington. It was stamped "The Australian". It a purchased by Dave Wood from

Elk's brother and refinished it. He later sold it to collector lastsnowstorm.

CC had another early Australian + a later version.

The originals had small, hand engraved script - Dave Wood's actual hand writing.

The late versions were stamped simply "Australian" and had larger script that was a custom made stamp -less time consuming to apply.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

The Wood Bros Australian model was originally made for Steve Elkington. It was stamped "The Australian". It a purchased by Dave Wood from

The originals had small, hand engraved script - Dave Wood's actual hand writing.

The late versions were stamped simply "Australian" and had larger script that was a custom made stamp -less time consuming to apply.

Texsport

I was curious about your earlier comment regarding the jumbo blonde Texan. You said Dave made a few as prototypes and I was wondering other than DL3 who might be the other couple top players and how did one end up in Australia? I understand Elk liked more of a compact persimmon head so it wouldn't be him. Did Dave ever mention the players who wanted the jumbos to you?

Texsport

Actually I don’t own any of Dave’s ‘Australian’ works. I currently own the LFF style driver pictured above, but any Australians or super rare THE Australians have eluded me.

lastsnowstorm

My mistake - I apologize - I thought you were the buyer.

I know that Dave sold the restored club a few months ago.

freddiec and I both discussed purchasing it with Dave Wood

Texsport

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Texsport

Actually I don’t own any of Dave’s ‘Australian’ works. I currently own the LFF style driver pictured above, but any Australians or super rare THE Australians have eluded me.

I should have read Texsport's post better. You're the other owner of the LFF Wood Bros. Freddiec is going to email Dave in regards to our WBLFFs and find out the scoop. Hopefully he will post the results here for us all to see.

When I spoke to Dave about his LFFs, he only mentioned Davis Love III, but we were talking about several things and he just skimmed past the LFF.

I'm sure freddiec will learn more.

Tesprt

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

The '50-'51 LFFs are the red fiber inserts.

'52-'53 wbw insert and '54-55 rwr insert.

I thought only the '50 had the M09T L.F.F. toe.

And the '52 & '54 had M09 -LFF- on the toe.

Did the M09T L.F.F. on the toe exist for all 3 models?

I believe the T meant the original grip was leather.

So did the '50 red fiber have an M09 -LFF- model?

Please correct me if I wrong since it's my favorite club.

I have both the w/r/w and w/b/w M09 Jumbo drivers and toe stamps are the same. The T stood for the MacGregor Tourney grip[. proprietary cord-lined grip actually molded onto the shaft. Supposedly lifetime grip. I do not have the secret to removing them. but it is a major under-taking.

Uncle Bob

I have both the w/r/w and w/b/w M09 Jumbo drivers and toe stamps are the same. The T stood for the MacGregor Tourney grip[. proprietary cord-lined grip actually molded onto the shaft. Supposedly lifetime grip. I do not have the secret to removing them. but it is a major under-taking.

Uncle Bob

As mentioned above I was lucky to get the '50 M09 original shaft/grip at an estate sale. I already had 3 '50 M09Ts all DG S300 shafts which would take care of the grip issue on the T drivers. One of these is the incredible restoration done by Dave Wood. My w/b/w is a no T and of the 4 or 5 I've seen this one is as good as it gets(having never seen a nice all original) although also S300 shaft and a great refinish. The only LFF I've never seen in person or picture is the w/b/w M09T. Could you please post a picture Uncle Bob?

Uncle Bob

As mentioned above I was lucky to get the '50 M09 original shaft/grip at an estate sale. I already had 3 '50 M09Ts all DG S300 shafts which would take care of the grip issue on the T drivers. One of these is the incredible restoration done by Dave Wood. My w/b/w is a no T and of the 4 or 5 I've seen this one is as good as it gets(having never seen a nice all original) although also S300 shaft and a great refinish. The only LFF I've never seen in person or picture is the w/b/w M09T. Could you please post a picture Uncle Bob?

I will have to look back in the archives on this site. I posted it along with a couple other Jumbo MacGregor drivers a couple years ago. If I can't find the photos, i will see if I can re shoot it. It is a big Mamoo.

• 8 months later...

edited

Edited by RobotDoctor

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

• 1 month later...

edited

Edited by RobotDoctor

edited

Edited by RobotDoctor

Thanks Fred! I really love how the LFF turned out. It really is a solid driving instrument!!! Thanks to Dave Wood!!!

> @deejaid said:

> Dave Woods work is incredible as usual!

>

> Robot, do you play all the clubs you have Dave refinish or do some become strictly wall hangers? I ask as this LFF looked to be in pretty good playing and cosmetic shape prior to the restore.

deejaid, these are the first two woods I have had Dave Wood restore. I did hit a couple of drives with the LFF when I first got it but wanted it restored. It took me a while to get it done but I finally did and I am thankful I did. I am not sure Dave will be continuing restoration of woods as he has other things he wants to do. As for now, the LFF and 693 drivers I had Dave restore are "wall hangers" and will reside in my MacGregor staff bag so that they can completely cure. With regard to playing these I don't have really any plans on doing so, for either driver. I may hit a few shots with them with a few of the Balata balls I have in my possession but that won't be until late summer at the earliest. I have a M85W driver that Dave refinished for Fred a few years ago that I obtained from Fred. I have hit that one.

While the LFF looked pretty good pre-restoration, the process of restoring it proved to be the right decision as the condition under the sole plate was less than desired. Frankly it was a real mess. Dave repaired that, reshafted the LFF with a period appropriate shaft I had in an early '80s 693 reproduction (and not a dimensional correct reproduction per Dave). Dave put on a tour velvet cord grip on it so I will remove that and add a Neumann leather wrap grip in the near future. I couldn't be any more thrilled with how the LFF turned out. It looks even more stunning in person than what pictures can show. I will take a few pictures in the sunlight today and post them. I am hoping Dave continues to restore woods for at least another year so I can send in a slew of other woods for him to do (pretty much the rest of my collection). We shall see.

Thanks for the comments.

Best regards,

Sam

• Like 1

Very cool Sam. I guess I have you and FreddieC confused. Usually happens when I see an LFF thread. ?

I ask as I am doing more and more persimmon restorations and while I have a long way to go to be at Dave Woods level, it’s where I aspire to reach with my talents. I have followed his instruction and shared my results on a couple of woods I’ve done and the spraying and sanding of poly coats takes much longer than a dipped poly finish, but the results are much more appealing to my eye.

I’ve also come across some clubs where it becomes difficult to decide whether I should give the club a full restoration or more of a tune-up, just epoxy the face insert and sole plate, new whipping, etc. I’ve always loved patina and the wear of old things, the story of the age if you will. Your LFF looks to have similar wear to a 1950’s Mac Toney Penna wood I have. After stripping the clear coat and a light sanding, I was actually a little disappointed I removed the patina from the face insert. It ended up looking good, but I always struggle with the thought of removing the clubs history.

Enjoy your LFF! It’s a real beauty and I hope to have the opportunity to restore and play one one day.

Cheers!

dj

• Like 2

edited

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...