Koepka Down 24 Lbs

Holy Moses

> @"15th Club" said:

> Regardless of the reason for the weight loss, I feel like there's adequate data to judge Koepka negatively based on the fact that he won't answer questions with straight simple answers. What a weird generational thing; where all sorts of photographs and personal information is shared online through social media, but substantive questions about performance in one's profession, from reporters whose lives are devoted to that beat, can't be answered.

>

In my opinion it's nobodies business WHY Brooks lost weight. He lost weight, said he went about it wrong and is working on correcting it. Hell, maybe the guys back or knees was hurting a little bit and he thought some weight loss would help?

> @Jagpilotohio said:

> I think it’s hysterical. The level of stupidity and vanity involved here is off the charts.

> He loses substantial weight just to look cut for a magazine shoot that’s is supposed to celebrate athletes in their “natural” athletic condition. Wouldn’t it make more sense to shoot him at his normal “playing weight”?

Well, his normal playing weight isn’t going to be too attractive naked. He is/was carrying a bit of fat. Decent amount of muscle, but also quite a few soft areas as well. That’s not going to sell magazines or website clicks.

I don’t disagree with you basic premise about weight loss / muscle etc… it’s more the point of Brandel arguing both sides of the same argument without fully understanding either side. For example he’s forever been myopically pushing that players who “bulk up” or “go hard in the gym” impedes player performance - but that’s just utter rubbish. He’s not nuanced or knowledgable enough to argue either side with any real credibility. In saying that, I do agree with him on many other golfing aspects, but this topic is way outside his expertise and lane.

> @new2g0lf said:

> > @"Cool Runnings" said:

> > I wonder if Brandel will now admit that bulking down also negatively impacts a players performance? After all, how often have we heard Brandel myopically push the flip-side position that guys ‘bulking up’ negatively impacts a players performance. I’d imagine he’d stay rather silent on it.

>

> You can lose weight in a slow controlled fashion that minimizes muscle loss but any quick fix diets like Koepka was on will obliterate muscle first, thus the term "skinny fat". Additionally the lose of mass had to change his body dimensions sufficiently enough to impact the feel of his swing. I usually can't stand Brandel, but I've never heard him push for crash diets or anything severe like Koepka did.

• Like 2

> @"Cool Runnings" said:

> I wonder if Brandel will now admit that bulking down also negatively impacts a players performance? After all, how often have we heard Brandel myopically push the flip-side position that guys ‘bulking up’ negatively impacts a players performance. I’d imagine he’d stay rather silent on it.

You can bull> @lopey986 said:

> > @Jagpilotohio said:

> > I don’t understand why so many people mention in their post that they “don’t usually agree with ” or they “can’t believe I’m agreeing with Brandel”.

> >

> > Why? He’s usually right. He can certainly be an annoying Word not allowed, but he’s usually correct.

>

> https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/chamblee-lifting-weights-cost-tiger-many-majors

>

> Well...which is it then? Lifting weights cost Tiger many majors.

>

> Brooks loses weight, costs him many majors.

>

> Brandel's opinion is as fickle as the direction the wind blows, he's just there to say stupid **** and rile people up.

I think all Brandel is saying is that anything that is done too drastically to your body - be it gaining muscle or losing a lot of weight - can mess up your swing.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @lopey986 said:

> > @"15th Club" said:

> > Regardless of the reason for the weight loss, I feel like there's adequate data to judge Koepka negatively based on the fact that he won't answer questions with straight simple answers. What a weird generational thing; where all sorts of photographs and personal information is shared online through social media, but substantive questions about performance in one's profession, from reporters whose lives are devoted to that beat, can't be answered.

> >

>

> In my opinion it's nobodies business WHY Brooks lost weight. He lost weight, said he went about it wrong and is working on correcting it. ****, maybe the guys back or knees was hurting a little bit and he thought some weight loss would help?

It's nobody's business to see a lot of what has appeared on Instagram. Koepka isn't under oath and hasn't been served with a subpoena as far as I know, so yes he is free to decline to answer anything. I thought that much would have been presumed. He can decline to answer any question he doesn't like. And we can make a judgment about what Koepka answers, doesn't answer, and how he answers if he does.

You just posited a perfectly good, understandable reason for a possible choice to lose weight. If Koepka had such a reason, why not supply that to the writers who cover him as a professional? You can say that he is entitled to decline to answer any personal questions and I already acknowledged that. I just think it is weird; so much gratuitous disclosure on social media, but so little disclosure to a sensible question about a professional matter.

But he doesn’t know what “too drastically” actually constitutes. For example he’s often called Rory’s drastic change in body shape as “too muscular” and/or he’s a “gym junkie”, especially pushing this argument when he wasn’t playing too well, but when he started to win again only months later (with the same body shape) BC goes silent on the topic.

He’s often talked about JT & DJ as players that “aren’t gym junkies”, yet they’re in the gym 6 times a week like Rory. BC isn’t nuanced and educated enough about fitness & anatomy for peak athletes, and so he sits behind these wide sweeping generalisations on this topic. Like anything, things can be over-done, but these players aren’t over doing things like he claims. BC doesn’t even fully understand what these individual players are doing in the gym, and he certainly doesn’t understand the huge benefits of what they do and the risks of not doing what they do.

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @"Cool Runnings" said:

> > I wonder if Brandel will now admit that bulking down also negatively impacts a players performance? After all, how often have we heard Brandel myopically push the flip-side position that guys ‘bulking up’ negatively impacts a players performance. I’d imagine he’d stay rather silent on it.

>

> You can bull> @lopey986 said:

> > > @Jagpilotohio said:

> > > I don’t understand why so many people mention in their post that they “don’t usually agree with ” or they “can’t believe I’m agreeing with Brandel”.

> > >

> > > Why? He’s usually right. He can certainly be an annoying Word not allowed, but he’s usually correct.

> >

> > https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/chamblee-lifting-weights-cost-tiger-many-majors

> >

> > Well...which is it then? Lifting weights cost Tiger many majors.

> >

> > Brooks loses weight, costs him many majors.

> >

> > Brandel's opinion is as fickle as the direction the wind blows, he's just there to say stupid **** and rile people up.

>

> I think all Brandel is saying is that anything that is done too drastically to your body - be it gaining muscle or losing a lot of weight - can mess up your swing.

>

• Like 1

David Duval's decline began when he lost a bunch of weight and became a gym rat. The DD who shot 59 was a little on the thick side, but not in any way obese. He had further health issues, but he said he lost some feel. Reading that BK was getting IV's and had no energy made me look up rhabdomyolysis, which is caused in part by extreme dieting. If this was a vanity diet, man, that was a horrible decision. I agree with Jag, athletes come in all different shapes and sizes, they should be photographed in their natural state.

• Like 1

> @lopey986 said:

> > @Jagpilotohio said:

> > I don’t understand why so many people mention in their post that they “don’t usually agree with ” or they “can’t believe I’m agreeing with Brandel”.

> >

> > Why? He’s usually right. He can certainly be an annoying Word not allowed, but he’s usually correct.

>

> https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/chamblee-lifting-weights-cost-tiger-many-majors

>

>

>

> Brandel's opinion is as fickle as the direction the wind blows, he's just there to say stupid **** and rile people up.

There's a middle ground between crash dieting and bulking up.

> @lopey986 said:

> > @Jagpilotohio said:

> >

>

>

>

>

I think where Brandel is coming from is don't change your body when you are playing at a peak, which tiger did by bulking up and Brooks did by cutting. I for most part agree with him but I've also done bulk ups and cuts and didn't really change my game at all. I felt the healthiest during cuts.

> @Steele47 said:

> Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat crap and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @Steele47 said:

> > Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

>

> He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat **** and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

>

>

You find nothing weird about a top player losing 24 lbs for no reason other than a photo shoot and the player says the weight loss has hurt his game in numerous ways?

Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > @Steele47 said:

> > > Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

> >

> > He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat **** and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

> >

> >

>

> You find nothing weird about a top player losing 24 lbs for no reason other than a photo shoot and the player says the weight loss has hurt his game in numerous ways?

It’s not weird they get all kinds of athletes in different sports to do this particular photo shoot and can help advance the game of golf particularly among young people. Golf has had a stigmatizm of being a sport for fat old guys but like I said wasn’t smart to do at the playing peak that he is at for the simple fact you want to just keep it going as long as possible.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > @Steele47 said:

> > > > Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

> > >

> > > He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat **** and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > You find nothing weird about a top player losing 24 lbs for no reason other than a photo shoot and the player says the weight loss has hurt his game in numerous ways?

>

> It’s not weird they get all kinds of athletes in different sports to do this particular photo shoot and can help advance the game of golf particularly among young people. Golf has had a stigmatizm of being a sport for fat old guys but like I said wasn’t smart to do at the playing peak that he is at for the simple fact you want to just keep it going as long as possible.

>

A photo shoot is fine; Brooks was already in great shape and he didn’t need to lose 24 lbs

Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > @Steele47 said:

> > > > > Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

> > > >

> > > > He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat **** and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > You find nothing weird about a top player losing 24 lbs for no reason other than a photo shoot and the player says the weight loss has hurt his game in numerous ways?

> >

> > It’s not weird they get all kinds of athletes in different sports to do this particular photo shoot and can help advance the game of golf particularly among young people. Golf has had a stigmatizm of being a sport for fat old guys but like I said wasn’t smart to do at the playing peak that he is at for the simple fact you want to just keep it going as long as possible.

> >

>

> A photo shoot is fine; Brooks was already in great shape and he didn’t need to lose 24 lbs

For ESPN The Body? I'm not sure about all of that. Sure, Brooks works out and carries more muscle than most golfers, but he typically by no means is defined enough for the standard that magazine sets. If he did stay at "playing weight/playing shape", he would have been the most out of shape (in terms of definition and "being cut") male athlete in the history of those photo shoots.

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > @Steele47 said:

> > > > > Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

> > > >

> > > > He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat **** and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > You find nothing weird about a top player losing 24 lbs for no reason other than a photo shoot and the player says the weight loss has hurt his game in numerous ways?

> >

> > It’s not weird they get all kinds of athletes in different sports to do this particular photo shoot and can help advance the game of golf particularly among young people. Golf has had a stigmatizm of being a sport for fat old guys but like I said wasn’t smart to do at the playing peak that he is at for the simple fact you want to just keep it going as long as possible.

> >

>

> A photo shoot is fine; Brooks was already in great shape and he didn’t need to lose 24 lbs

He wasn’t obese or medically too much body fat but you don’t want to be posing pretty much naked in the state he was in, he was too soft and wouldn’t look all that great. These photos last forever. All the athletes involved in this photo shoot prepare for it in similar fashion. He’s prob put on 25-30 additional pounds in recent years. The problem is he was playing at a peak with that bulk he put on and probably wasn’t smartest to do the photo shoot now. Then again they won’t want him in the magazine when he cools off

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > > @Steele47 said:

> > > > > > Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

> > > > >

> > > > > He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat **** and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > You find nothing weird about a top player losing 24 lbs for no reason other than a photo shoot and the player says the weight loss has hurt his game in numerous ways?

> > >

> > > It’s not weird they get all kinds of athletes in different sports to do this particular photo shoot and can help advance the game of golf particularly among young people. Golf has had a stigmatizm of being a sport for fat old guys but like I said wasn’t smart to do at the playing peak that he is at for the simple fact you want to just keep it going as long as possible.

> > >

> >

> > A photo shoot is fine; Brooks was already in great shape and he didn’t need to lose 24 lbs

>

> He wasn’t obese or medically too much body fat but you don’t want to be posing pretty much naked in the state he was in, he was too soft and wouldn’t look all that great. These photos last forever. All the athletes involved in this photo shoot prepare for it in similar fashion. He’s prob put on 25-30 additional pounds in recent years. The problem is he was playing at a peak with that bulk he put on and probably wasn’t smartest to do the photo shoot now. Then again they won’t want him in the magazine when he cools off

>

Photo. Shop.

Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > > > @Steele47 said:

> > > > > > > Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat **** and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > You find nothing weird about a top player losing 24 lbs for no reason other than a photo shoot and the player says the weight loss has hurt his game in numerous ways?

> > > >

> > > > It’s not weird they get all kinds of athletes in different sports to do this particular photo shoot and can help advance the game of golf particularly among young people. Golf has had a stigmatizm of being a sport for fat old guys but like I said wasn’t smart to do at the playing peak that he is at for the simple fact you want to just keep it going as long as possible.

> > > >

> > >

> > > A photo shoot is fine; Brooks was already in great shape and he didn’t need to lose 24 lbs

> >

> > He wasn’t obese or medically too much body fat but you don’t want to be posing pretty much naked in the state he was in, he was too soft and wouldn’t look all that great. These photos last forever. All the athletes involved in this photo shoot prepare for it in similar fashion. He’s prob put on 25-30 additional pounds in recent years. The problem is he was playing at a peak with that bulk he put on and probably wasn’t smartest to do the photo shoot now. Then again they won’t want him in the magazine when he cools off

> >

>

> Photo. Shop.

I'm sorry, but I don't think any man that works out with any seriousness, and has any level of self respect is going to want to be photoshopped from a soft/smooth body to a defined, chiseled physique like expected in The Body. If that can even be done and look remotely realistic.

> @chris975d said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > > > > @Steele47 said:

> > > > > > > > Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat **** and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You find nothing weird about a top player losing 24 lbs for no reason other than a photo shoot and the player says the weight loss has hurt his game in numerous ways?

> > > > >

> > > > > It’s not weird they get all kinds of athletes in different sports to do this particular photo shoot and can help advance the game of golf particularly among young people. Golf has had a stigmatizm of being a sport for fat old guys but like I said wasn’t smart to do at the playing peak that he is at for the simple fact you want to just keep it going as long as possible.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > A photo shoot is fine; Brooks was already in great shape and he didn’t need to lose 24 lbs

> > >

> > > He wasn’t obese or medically too much body fat but you don’t want to be posing pretty much naked in the state he was in, he was too soft and wouldn’t look all that great. These photos last forever. All the athletes involved in this photo shoot prepare for it in similar fashion. He’s prob put on 25-30 additional pounds in recent years. The problem is he was playing at a peak with that bulk he put on and probably wasn’t smartest to do the photo shoot now. Then again they won’t want him in the magazine when he cools off

> > >

> >

> > Photo. Shop.

>

> I'm sorry, but I don't think any man that works out with any seriousness, and has any level of self respect is going to want to be photoshopped from a soft/smooth body to a defined, chiseled physique like expected in The Body. If that can even be done and look remotely realistic.

He's still getting photoshopped, just not as much as he would've if he didn't lose the weight. It's his career, we're just commenting on how it seems shallow and not well thought out to crash diet for a magazine cover while you're trying to compete at the highest levels of a sport. I can only imagine how the conversation went between him and DJ...

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

> @new2g0lf said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > > > > > > @Steele47 said:

> > > > > > > > > Well he's definitely a member of the selfie generation. Freakin weird dude in my book now.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > He’s a young guy playing a sport and got asked to pose in a popular magazine for a good sum of money, I see nothing weird about that. What’s worse is all the fat guys who eat **** and don’t take any care of themselves. Only mistake he did was doing this when he has been playing so hot.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > You find nothing weird about a top player losing 24 lbs for no reason other than a photo shoot and the player says the weight loss has hurt his game in numerous ways?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > It’s not weird they get all kinds of athletes in different sports to do this particular photo shoot and can help advance the game of golf particularly among young people. Golf has had a stigmatizm of being a sport for fat old guys but like I said wasn’t smart to do at the playing peak that he is at for the simple fact you want to just keep it going as long as possible.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > A photo shoot is fine; Brooks was already in great shape and he didn’t need to lose 24 lbs

> > > >

> > > > He wasn’t obese or medically too much body fat but you don’t want to be posing pretty much naked in the state he was in, he was too soft and wouldn’t look all that great. These photos last forever. All the athletes involved in this photo shoot prepare for it in similar fashion. He’s prob put on 25-30 additional pounds in recent years. The problem is he was playing at a peak with that bulk he put on and probably wasn’t smartest to do the photo shoot now. Then again they won’t want him in the magazine when he cools off

> > > >

> > >

> > > Photo. Shop.

> >

> > I'm sorry, but I don't think any man that works out with any seriousness, and has any level of self respect is going to want to be photoshopped from a soft/smooth body to a defined, chiseled physique like expected in The Body. If that can even be done and look remotely realistic.

>

> He's still getting photoshopped, just not as much as he would've if he didn't lose the weight. It's his career, we're just commenting on how it seems shallow and not well thought out to crash diet for a magazine cover while you're trying to compete at the highest levels of a sport. I can only imagine how the conversation went between him and DJ...

I can’t imagine a conversation with those two consisting of too many words...maybe some animal noises and grunts...

> @Jagpilotohio said:

> Golf parasite? Interesting.

> The level of hatred is very high in this one. ?

Brandel is good at what he does, and obviously the GC is pleased with him, but he strikes you as the guy we all know that knows all, tops every story you tell, and will stand for nothing other than having the last word. Thinking about a co-worker as I type this.

Koepka says it's not affected his game. All this other speculation and quotes attributing it to a loss of distance are odd given that the only person qualified to evaluate his game has stated it's good.

And Brandel is a clown. I still can't believe he's still critizing players who's careers dwarf his. He is not the same as them. He isn't in the same league.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @3jacker said:

> Koepka says it's not affected his game. All this other speculation and quotes attributing it to a loss of distance are odd given that the only person qualified to evaluate his game has stated it's good.

>

> And Brandel is a clown. I still can't believe he's still critizing players who's careers dwarf his. He is not the same as them. He isn't in the same league.

Brooks has bemoaned his loss of distance off the tee, said he has lost his feel, and felt out of sorts. He's trying to take back his own comments a few weeks back.

Ping Vault Arna

I missed the earlier statements when he must've been making them. Oh well, he's never been the sharpest knife. Nor the dullest as long as he hangs w/DJ.

But Brandel's still an idiot.

Titleist 818 H2 21*
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

And the pic in his underwear will last forever.

Move over, Tom Kite. There's a new underwear golfer in town.

hhqeo3nhd1rp.jpg

Titleist 818 H2 21*
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1