2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What’s the deal with Staff Bags

I’ve been on here for a while now 10+ years and there seems to be a negative conetation surrounding staff bags. Everything from they are too big to if you have one you're a poser. I personally don't have one as I walk (with a push cart) sometimes and don't see the need to carry a big bag. But I certainly don't think there's anything wrong if someone wants to have one. It just always stick me as odd the amount of vitrial speech that came from someone of the staff bag threads. I feel like this game is for us to enjoy and if we like staff bags carry em. If we don't care ultimately what we score and aren't good enough to play blades who cares. Interested to see what others think on the subject.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

I alternate between carrying with a small "hoofer" style carry bag, and using my push cart with a big "cart bag" staff bag sized bag. Never had anyone comment about it either way. I guess if you hired a caddy every round to carry your staff bag, I could see the "poser" argument, but if you could afford a caddy all the time I doubt you'd care.

They seem to give them to every first assistant, teaching pro, golf shop attendant in the land, embroidered with their names on them, so there's no shortage of guys using them.

Many golfers are like comedians - there's a lot of hostility bubbling under the surface.

Golfers get on others about lots of things: people who can't break 100 playing $1,400 sets or irons, people who take 10 minutes to line up a five-foot putt, people under 40 who don't walk and carry their own bags, and people who have staff bags.

Under certain conditions, staff bags serve certain functions: for auto trip to course, you have room for all your stuff - although your caddie will urge you to leave certain things in the car trunk. And, your name on the bag helps you find it in the bag-drop pile at a tournament.

The big complaint is that poseurs think they are pros. Well, not even pros do full staff bags anymore. At the Senior PGA in 2013, about half the players had medium-weight stand bags.

I caddied at a Symetra Tour event (LPGA developmental), and most players had stand bags. My player had a Ping hoofer bag that was almost too light (strange for a caddie to say). But, the Hoofer lower pouches were so lightly loaded that the bag legs sometimes wouldn't deploy properly. A contributing factor: even though the players all walked, a courtesy cart accompanied the threesomes; it carried the rules official and the players' extra soft gear.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

We shall see if there is a trend on the Men's Tour to go away from the huge staff bags. I think, as long as the weather is decent, you will see more follow Rickie and use a smaller bag. If that happens, the staff bag will disappear very quickly making the discussion moot.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

We shall see if there is a trend on the Men's Tour to go away from the huge staff bags. I think, as long as the weather is decent, you will see more follow Rickie and use a smaller bag. If that happens, the staff bag will disappear very quickly making the discussion moot.

I’ve noticed some players on the pga tour with stand bags. Not many (probably more due to fiscal reasons). I was just curious what everyone thought as it seems like it can be a heated topic.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

I've noticed some players on the pga tour with stand bags. Not many (probably more due to fiscal reasons). I was just curious what everyone thought as it seems like it can be a heated topic.

Most people are of the opinion that unless you are being paid to play, there is no reason other than ego to have a staff bag or a bag with your name on it. OEM's paying players to use their products will want the largest billboard they can get. Hence the staff bag, but nothing beats being in contention and winning for getting air time on TV.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Never walked and have always had a staff bag. I like all the room and since I din't walk the size of the bag doesn't matter. Don't really care what people think about my golf equipment or anything else that I own for that matter. Don't really care what other people have as well, to each their own.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Most people are of the opinion that unless you are being paid to play, there is no reason other than ego to have a staff bag or a bag with your name on it. OEM's paying players to use their products will want the largest billboard they can get. Hence the staff bag, but nothing beats being in contention and winning for getting air time on TV.

Yes, staff bags do serve as a billboard. Anyone who is a PGA pro - local course up through tour - likely has an equipment sponsor. Tour pros get equipment and $$$$$$$.

For the local club or upscale course, the pro gets some clubs, balls, clothing and a staff bag. The staff bag has the equipment sponsor's name on it, and generally his or her name and club on the front pouch, mid-level.

These ornate bags often set front-and center in the pro shop, next to the clubs up for sale to members.

In reality, many club pros have two bags - the staff display bag with their backup clubs, and a second bag - often a stand bag - that they use in day-to-day play.

===============================

... no reason other than ego... A pre-ESPN clip on big egos and super-staff bags...

==============================

Humorous story on bags - 2004 was an Olympics year, so the pro golf schedule was shoved forward to accommodate Olympic TV broadcast. This meant the Senior Open only preceded The Open Championship (British) by a week, creating choices for pros eligible for both. So, the Senior Open had more club pros and top amateurs in the field than in average years.

I walked a practice round with a California amateur who had ended up in the Senior Open with only about a week's notice. He talked to me some during delays between holes. His son was carrying a hefty staff bag for him, and the two seemed to have trouble finding things in the pouches.

He explained he normally used a stand bag, but his club pro got upset when he suggested taking it to the Senior Open. "He lent me this staff bag, because he wanted me to look like a real golfer."

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

went and measured my old and newer bags. based this on the top openings.

Millers with what I think you are calling staff sizes, ten and nine inch tops.

big and heavy. they hold a ton of clubs and gear.

compare that to a C130, nine inch opening with front and side pockets one can stuff with an enormous amount of lord knows what.

might as well call that staff sized as well.

then there are newer and more streamlined cart bags with eight inch tops but the side balloon out and fronts have

jumbo protruding pockets that stick out from two to four inches.

I'd bet the capacity of those is about equal.

if you don't have a six inch bag with a three or five way top - you may all have staff bags.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Never walked and have always had a staff bag. I like all the room and since I din't walk the size of the bag doesn't matter. Don't really care what people think about my golf equipment or anything else that I own for that matter. Don't really care what other people have as well, to each their own.

I am with you 110% on that--- In the past I have had staff bags but then again I did play Mini Tours and was a Class A at one time-- Lately I have went the small stand bag route because as fellow WRXer Nix Lix puts it be ready to grab and go. The only problem I have had with my Hoofer besides the normal club tangle was the cart attendants around here tend to choke the crap out of them putting them on. This week I bought a non stand older Jones bag. That fits my needs perfectly. Light enough to handle easily and only 3 dividers. I do not carry a lot of stuff even riding so this works out good for me. Like you I have absolutely no problem at all if someone chooses to have a staff bag with their name on it even if they can not break 100. Ain't none of my business what they want to do.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

went and measured my old and newer bags. based this on the top openings.

Millers with what I think you are calling staff sizes, ten and nine inch tops.

big and heavy. they hold a ton of clubs and gear.

compare that to a C130, nine inch opening with front and side pockets one can stuff with an enormous amount of lord knows what.

might as well call that staff sized as well.

then there are newer and more streamlined cart bags with eight inch tops but the side balloon out and fronts have

jumbo protruding pockets that stick out from two to four inches.

I'd bet the capacity of those is about equal.

if you don't have a six inch bag with a three or five way top - you may all have staff bags.

Yeah and some of those old Millers weigh 50 lbs with no gear in them. But then again they were built out of good heavy leather. That is why some of us have some that have survived 30 years or more. Old Burton bags are the same way. And you are correct about some of those cart bags they balloon out on the sides like they are pregnant or something. In fact 2 of the guys I play with use them and it is a tight fit on a cart with them and my Titleist Mini Staff bag.

Going out on a limb here and guess that many of the people who ridicule others for having some type of staff bag themselves wear a golf hat featuring a manufacturer's name.

Yeah you may be on to something there too---- I have bunches of visors courtesy of a dearly departed friend--- I have been known to go on a course with a Ping Visor on and not a Ping club in the bag---- Later on this spring in the height of spring tourist golf season I plan on going to the course with a PXG hat on courtesy of another friend-- He bought the PXGs and got a hat and he can not stand a ball cap hat so guess who got the hat?---- Gonna be funny me with a PXG hat a sorta semi rusty set of KZG irons , a rusty 588 and a rusty Scotty putter--- Ought to be a bag of laughs---- I am one of those guys that does not give two hoots

Going out on a limb here and guess that many of the people who ridicule others for having some type of staff bag themselves wear a golf hat featuring a manufacturer's name.

You’re on to something here. Wearing a “golf hat” while playing golf is not only considered the norm it’s damn near a requirement. Why do staff bags bear the stigma then? This is a curious sociological phenomenon.

And one in which I participate because I’d never ever rock a staff bag but I have all kinds of “golf hats”

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I used one at one time. It sure is a pleasure to easily fit 14 clubs in a bag and have room for rain gear or a jacket.

Modern smaller bags can hold about as much these days. There are staff style bags that don't have logos.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Yeah you may be on to something there too---- I have bunches of visors courtesy of a dearly departed friend--- I have been known to go on a course with a Ping Visor on and not a Ping club in the bag---- Later on this spring in the height of spring tourist golf season I plan on going to the course with a PXG hat on courtesy of another friend-- He bought the PXGs and got a hat and he can not stand a ball cap hat so guess who got the hat?---- Gonna be funny me with a PXG hat a sorta semi rusty set of KZG irons , a rusty 588 and a rusty Scotty putter--- Ought to be a bag of laughs---- I am one of those guys that does not give two hoots

Hey Stu! Great post, my friend. I'd love to be on the first tee when you show up with your PXG hat and semi-rusty KZG irons. That's definitely you LOL. At least you would have the "G's" match up

in the positioning of the letters. If anyone asks, just tell them 1 out of 3 is not bad :D

to add,

I've bought several caps with our course logo and always look for blanks. I've had destination caps and tournament ones that looked pretty good.

I can't recall owning a Titleist or Callaway cap.

was gifted one from the Bellagio last year that I look forward to using this season. nice leather logo badge on the crown.

bought a TEE bag and they gave me a matching branded cap. looked stupid to wear with the bag so it became a lawn mowing hat.

there's an embroidery store close by and I was thinking of getting one or two made up with the TA 845 logo and maybe one for the Hogans.

that would be pretty cool.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

to add,

I've bought several caps with our course logo and always look for blanks. I've had destination caps and tournament ones that looked pretty good.

I can't recall owning a Titleist or Callaway cap.

was gifted one from the Bellagio last year that I look forward to using this season. nice leather logo badge on the crown.

bought a TEE bag and they gave me a matching branded cap. looked stupid to wear with the bag so it became a lawn mowing hat.

there's an embroidery store close by and I was thinking of getting one or two made up with the TA 845 logo and maybe one for the Hogans.

that would be pretty cool.

Well believe it or not in all the Visors my friend left me there is one Ben Hogan Visor that was brand new still in the plastic. It is one from the Spalding days. I rock it when I play my 54 Precisions.

Hey Stu! Great post, my friend. I'd love to be on the first tee when you show up with your PXG hat and semi-rusty KZG irons. That's definitely you LOL. At least you would have the "G's" match up

in the positioning of the letters. If anyone asks, just tell them 1 out of 3 is not bad :D

With what most mainstream golfers think they know I could tell them the KZGs were actually prototype PXGs from days gone by. Yeah it is closer than the Ping deal for sure. And for the record I am officially a non descript bag guy now.I have a Jones Classic

I have a mid size staff that will fit on a cart since I always ride and if that’s the case I’d like to have as much room as I can. I got tired of dealing with faulty stand mechanisms that didn’t even work right that I wasn’t using since I never walk. It’s your money so buy whatever you want if it helps you enjoy your day.

I use a cart bag if riding a cart and a stand bag for walking, seems to make sense. Cart bags are awesome, can fit everything I would ever need then some. I do like staff bags, but they are a bit heavy and sometimes don't fit nicely on carts. I'd never judge anyone if they used one.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

Not sure if this is a USA/Europe thing, but over here in Dubai (and same for Singapore), we get around the course in buggies (on course, not on cart path).

I don't even know of any courses (other than the Par 3 practice courses) here that are walking courses (and I've played almost all of them), and personally use either staff or cart bags for the simple reason that the tops are larger (easier to get clubs in and out), they're built tough and last for years, and no one suffers having to haul my bag around (other than me, having to haul my bag out of the trunk and strapping it to the back of the cart..)

Others may prefer to buy a stand bag, but I don't judge them.

Srixon Z785 w/ PX 6.0 HZRDUS yellow (S) shaft
Srizon F65 3w (15*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
Srixon Z U85 20* driving iron
Taylormade P7TW irons (3-PW) in S400 tour issue shafts
Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 wedges
Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 putter

• 1 month later...

Naturally, there is a stigma about non-tour players who carry a staff bag and/or have their name on their bag. Maybe I should speak for myself, but I automatically think that person must be a tour player of some sort or a college/former college golfer.

I'm all for playing or carrying whatever makes you happy. And if a staff bag is needed or wanted, then go for it - I can see a lot of advantages to them.

With that said, just dont be a tool about your game because you own a staff bag - especially if you cant back it up.

I love my staff bag, but I've never taken it to the course. I mainly walk so it's just not practical to me. If you ride 100% of the time though, nothing beats a bag with a 4-way 8.5"+ top that can store a dead body.

Taylormade M1 9.5°  |  Speeder 661

Ping G 14.5°  |  Aldila NV 75

Titleist T-MB 21°  |  S400

PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW  |  Elevate Tour X100

Callaway MD Forged  |  Recoil 125

Taylormade  |  Spider Tour Black

• 3 weeks later...