How’s your golf going this year?

Since this old body is heading for another hip replacement , I can’t golf yet. Please give me some details about your game so I can dream what the game is like and forget my pain for awhile?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Mine is currently awful, so at least you are spared from the self-loathing that comes from crappy golf ?. I kid...sort of.

Of course I still love it despite the bad golf, and am appreciative that I can play. I lost 3 full seasons in the past 10 years due to surgeries. I literally feel your pain.

Cheer up...you’ll be back out there eventually!

4 rounds in. Up and down so far.

A couple normal scores in the low 80's. A couple bad scores in the low 90's.

Snapped a driver shaft on #18 of my first round. Replacement on the way.

One bright spot, I holed out on a par 4 from 96 yds for eagle last Saturday. Couldn't see it go in but still cool nonetheless.

Hope you heal up soon!

Swimmingly, but that’s only because it hasn’t stopped raining since January.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Just perfect. Snow still on the ground and it is below freezing today. Don't expect to hit a real shot for another 2 weeks.

**So to sum it up, I'm still even par for 2019. I assume my hcp is 0. ;)**

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Sorry to hear about the hip NTL. One of the guys in our group had his done and is going through PT now. He's about 2 months from getting clearance to play. Hang in there...it will get better.

2018 was one of the worst years ever. My index rose dramatically, in our competitions I spent a lot of time DFL and my level of frustration was probably at an all time high. After our season ended, I decided to take a hard look at myself and figure out where I was going to focus on to return to a better form. I looked at everything from equipment, to the mental approach, on course attitude, etc. There were 3 things that stood out, too quick of a tempo, inconsistent iron play and sometimes a rather poor attitude toward myself.

My swing isn't the best but at one point I was as low as a 6 so there had to be some potential there, right. I decided to work on the mental part of the game both on and off course with a focus on fun, which wasn't the case for the majority of 2018. Simplifying everything was the goal. I made a club change and went to Cobra SL irons with the Arccos sensors which have had a positive outcome so far. Every shot has the ball in the same position, every swing has the same thought and it's been on the shot vs the outcome. Have been working on a slow takeaway (for me), keeping my head centered and shortening my swing. GIR has gone from 3 to 7 per round so far with opportunity for improvement. Through 10 rounds, I've gone from .4 to 2.1 birdies per round. Seeing lots of good things so far and very optimistic for the 2019 season.

Thanks for starting this thread because this is now a place where I can come back to remind myself if needed and keep the focus on the process and having fun vs. the outcome.

• Like 1

Pretty normal so far, I've played 18 twice and 3 hole 9 hole after work rounds. Still inconsistent haha, some shots are just so good, then i follow them up with a duff or a top. But cant complain bigger courses are just starting to open around here and the ranges as well, lots of golf to come.

Quick recovery to you OP!

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Three rounds in so far. Though the first one was all-out practice since all 18 greens were temp greens. I did chip-in for eagle on one of those temp greens though, too bad it doesn't count.

The other two rounds were with normal greens. Two birdies so far, some pars, a whole lot of bogeys, and a handful of doubles+. Pretty sore from the walking, but I'll get used to it soon enough.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I feel your pain. I slipped a disc in my back a few years ago and missed three years even after pt, the chiropractor and just general pain. The first two years after I felt better, I was so awful because I was afraid if I want at it 100% I’d hurt my back again. Last year I fixed my swing a little and I’m back out there full bore. I went to the driving range twice and one nine hole round, I’m feeling confident again. Still a lot of rust to knock off from the winter, hit a few chunky irons and sliced a tee shot but a 43 is not something I’m going to complain about. I dropped my handicap to 13.2 last year and I feel like my game is starting off well.

Not as bad as usual for the beginning of the year. First round was a near miraculous 83 for the first time out. ( still not sure how that happened first time out). The last 4 have been 90/92 range. If I can just get rid of the couple of triple bogeys each round I’ll be feeling better about my game.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Played "at golf" a bit over the weekend, didn't keep score, the greens are still punched from last year and are horrible, course needed drying out which is normal, and just babying my elbow and seeing what's what. Went out and played a quick nine kind of after work yesterday, same crappy greens, took the flag out on pretty much anything inside 6 feet (!) and what the heck, one of my best back nines ever! Joined by two friends when they got done with work, went to the front, and didn't play the front quite as well, but shot a who the heck would have guessed that 77! Full disclosure, our course is par 71, should be a par 70 and has a course rating under 70, so you all would probably destroy it and if I come to your course will easily shoot a nice to meet you 85-90+, lol, but still, pretty happy. Elbow felt pretty good, yesterday's philosophy was take 2 more clubs on iron shots and play what I guess you would call controlled knock downs/three quarter shots to the greens with those and with wedges, and was actually hitting greens or at least just off on the fringe. Hit my driver great for a change.

Weather says no golf for about a week, so I'll watch The Masters and I'm sure I'll be out in another 10 days or so and f it all up. Something about those controlled swings and hitting greens seemed to scream "course management lightbulb moment" but I'm sure it will pass.

Edit: 76 Monday evening a week later! BUT . . . . as of Tuesday evening, couldn't figure out where the middle of the club was, got a little frustrated early and had I not picked up on a couple holes because of pace of play reasons, etc. and kept at a reasonable guess what I shot it was in the neighborhood of 14 over. So . . . it definitely all did pass, lol.

• Like 1

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Played "at golf" a bit over the weekend, didn't keep score, the greens are still punched from last year and are horrible, course needed drying out which is normal, and just babying my elbow and seeing what's what. Went out and played a quick nine kind of after work yesterday, same crappy greens, took the flag out on pretty much anything inside 6 feet (!) and what the heck, one of my best back nines ever! Joined by two friends when they got done with work, went to the front, and didn't play the front quite as well, but shot a who the heck would have guessed that 77! Full disclosure, our course is par 71, should be a par 70 and has a course rating under 70, so you all would probably destroy it and if I come to your course will easily shoot a nice to meet you 85-90+, lol, but still, pretty happy. Elbow felt pretty good, yesterday's philosophy was take 2 more clubs on iron shots and play what I guess you would call controlled knock downs/three quarter shots to the greens with those and with wedges, and was actually hitting greens or at least just off on the fringe. Hit my driver great for a change.

> Weather says no golf for about a week, so I'll watch The Masters and I'm sure I'll be out in another 10 days or so and f it all up. Something about those controlled swings and hitting greens seemed to scream "course management lightbulb moment" but I'm sure it will pass.

Where do you play?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @tatertot said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Played "at golf" a bit over the weekend, didn't keep score, the greens are still punched from last year and are horrible, course needed drying out which is normal, and just babying my elbow and seeing what's what. Went out and played a quick nine kind of after work yesterday, same crappy greens, took the flag out on pretty much anything inside 6 feet (!) and what the heck, one of my best back nines ever! Joined by two friends when they got done with work, went to the front, and didn't play the front quite as well, but shot a who the heck would have guessed that 77! Full disclosure, our course is par 71, should be a par 70 and has a course rating under 70, so you all would probably destroy it and if I come to your course will easily shoot a nice to meet you 85-90+, lol, but still, pretty happy. Elbow felt pretty good, yesterday's philosophy was take 2 more clubs on iron shots and play what I guess you would call controlled knock downs/three quarter shots to the greens with those and with wedges, and was actually hitting greens or at least just off on the fringe. Hit my driver great for a change.

> > Weather says no golf for about a week, so I'll watch The Masters and I'm sure I'll be out in another 10 days or so and f it all up. Something about those controlled swings and hitting greens seemed to scream "course management lightbulb moment" but I'm sure it will pass.

>

> Where do you play?

PM on the way!

All the best to OP and a speedy recovery.

I've played 2 rounds in singles competitions - 82 and 87 (I'm an 8 hcp, par 72), and another Greensome round (each take tee shots, then alternate shots from the preferred ball). I've made a lot of pars but there have been too many doubles in there, though I'm level par on par 3s so I know my iron play is good (all GIR too).

I feel like my ball striking is really good. Changed my swing slightly over the winter so now I have a draw. Really having to focus on aiming right of target as my gamer shot was always a slight fade. I've missed quite a few greens left leaving my scrambling to do the work. That is pretty dire at the moment, hence the bad scores. I feel something good will come this season especially having played a few times already. I wouldn't normally have played so much in early April.

Fingers crossed for the rest of the season.

Haven't been out yet, so it's going great... Hope to find time over the next few weeks to chase it around.

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

all over the place, lowest 74 and highest 92. really struggle with shoulder pain lately!!

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

82 - 84 - 90 so far this year with a 13 index. Weather has been pretty iffy in Chicago. Played yesterday in gorgeous 60 deg weather (and shot a lousy 90) and today its flipped to a high of 35 deg and chance of rain. Watch Master's prep on TV and getting really antsy for some decent weather.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

> @rwc356 said:

> 82 - 84 - 90 so far this year with a 13 index. Weather has been pretty iffy in Chicago. Played yesterday in gorgeous 60 deg weather (and shot a lousy 90) and today its flipped to a high of 35 deg and chance of rain. Watch Master's prep on TV and getting really antsy for some decent weather.

Where did you play? Conditions?

> @FlyingLaw1 said:

> Didn't touch my clubs all winter... So still playing catch up. Finally getting back into things but going through a swing change. Some good some bad. Finally broke 80 on Sunday (76) after shooting a couple of *really* bad scores to start the season.

That's awesome! Amazing sometimes how well we can play so early in the year.

8 rounds in this year. I'm still all over the place (two 85's and two 104's) but i feel better about how everything's going so far. I am getting tired of the rain as I've only had one round where it either wasn't raining or the course wasn't absolutely soaked from they day(s) prior. Best thing I've done so far this early in the season is not hitting driver off of the tee every time i could.

First time out, 2019, yesterday and my straight to mild draws were often pull hooks. Any advice would be appreciated. Had 9 pars, one birdie, four triples, four doubles. lol. Rust on the body.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I have played twice with two very different results.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @rwc356 said:

> > 82 - 84 - 90 so far this year with a 13 index. Weather has been pretty iffy in Chicago. Played yesterday in gorgeous 60 deg weather (and shot a lousy 90) and today its flipped to a high of 35 deg and chance of rain. Watch Master's prep on TV and getting really antsy for some decent weather.

>

> Where did you play? Conditions?

@DavePelz4 , I played at the old Waveland Course (Sydney Marovitz) overlooking the Lake. It's still a little muddy in some of the low spots - primarily in the roughs and the bunkers are very rough as expected with no rakes out on the course just yet. Fairways are starting to green up some but don't expect much roll. Greens are in really good shape and surprisingly fast for so early in the season. I love the course, its near my house and great to be able to see the Lake from all the holes.

• Like 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

I’ve worked so much on my short game over the winter, which has definitely improved, haven’t had a 3 putt yet which I contribute to my chipping and pitching improvements.

I’ve always struggled with ball striking so I took a lesson a few weeks ago. Also changed irons this year. So my miss was always fat, and I recently discovered with my new irons that I hit off the toe as well. So my new swing is a vast improvement but for the first time ever I hit 3 shanks off the hosel... on one hole. ?

Also with all this work on irons and short game I hadn’t touched my driver since last year and it quickly became apparent that I have no recollection of a proper swing with the driver as well.

Hopefully my struggles will bring you comfort in knowing you’re not missing much haha. Get well soon and join me in this frustrating game we all love so much, for some reason?!