2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How’s your golf going this year?

I am training at the gym, re did my swing myself. I know that sounds very scary but am having pretty good results so far. The fundamentals were from my coach last season, so it is based on solid stuff. Have never hit it so far and so solid!

Finishing out the bag , ordering things.

A range finder with slope, another month of training hard and grooving my swing to do it without thinking . Then back to lessons after getting as low as I can .

Hope ya heal up quick Lefty,

I've played 5 rounds that have counted, the first 3 were pretty bad. One +20, and 2 +22's. Whole game was rusty, but mostly I had no feel for my short game, and putted like it was my first time on a golf course. Getting it back a little better now, last 2 rounds were both +14. I finished last season as a 14, so with a little more work, I think I can get back to that or maybe lower later in the season.

Mines been somewhat disappointing. Lost almost 20lbs since dec and I think it's messed up my game a little. for a while it felt like I didn't have the same power in my swing but the past two weeks it seems a little better. Played a couple tournaments and haven't played at all like I expect, which is alarming because I'll be at US four ball in May at Bandon. Time to grind on it for the next month.

> @lutomrSC said:

> Mines been somewhat disappointing. Lost almost 20lbs since dec and I think it's messed up my game a little. for a while it felt like I didn't have the same power in my swing but the past two weeks it seems a little better. Played a couple tournaments and haven't played at all like I expect, which is alarming because I'll be at US four ball in May at Bandon. Time to grind on it for the next month.

Hey man , I am also trying to lose weight. Have been reading ALOT of studies and books on losing it. There is one interesting study and it says that most people who lose weight do not eat enough protein and go to the gym a bit to keep those muscles. So basically the study instructs you to work on your muscles and eat some protein (whey protein does the job). And you will not get so weak during weight loss. of course YMMV, but i found it interesting, and as I have lost weight I have loaded down on the protein and I feel stronger than ever.

20 rounds in this year, came back from a broken arm and surgery in October. Just now getting all my strength back. Swing feels good, my iron play is the best in years, probably from not trying to do too much.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

so close to going really low right now. just need to get the putter hot. i've had 2 rounds in a row now where i went 16/18 greens and 13/18 greens. best part is they've been stress-less rounds; it'll come, and hopefully the beginning of May...

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I made some big swing changes over the winter and haven't had much time to get outside to hit balls off grass. I also haven't had a chance to practice my short game outside of carpet putting. My 4 rounds this year have been amazingly consistent: 91, 91, 92, 89. Usually at this time of the year I'm shooting in the mid/high 90's, even low 100's with some disaster rounds, and getting into the mid 80's by the middle of summer.

I've made some silly mistakes (including hitting a couple shots that I shouldn't have hit just because I wanted to try out a new club), gotten a little lazy and lost my mental focus late in the round, and have had to deal with aerated greens, so all in all I'm very pleased with my scores.

I hate to jinx myself, but I feel confident that I'm going to break 80 for the first time this year. My swing changes have me feeling really solid, plus I just feel more aware of my body now. Scoring in the 80's with barely any practice time is a good sign for me.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

Got down to a 1.6 three weeks ago and then developed a case of the shanks trying to work legs into my new swing. I know making changes can sometimes wreak havoc on your game so I am trying to ride it out. I have been able to get around fairly well (not enough to keep the handicap from going back up, but not so bad I want to quit and walk off the course). I do need to get in for a lesson asap and sort out what is causing the shank and see if it is a byproduct of progress or an actual problem.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

3 rounds in so far. First two I was driving the ball well but could not hit a decent iron shot to save my life (a sharp contrast to my game late last year). But I went to the range and corrected it, and yesterday I put together a solid round (for me) of 85. Chipping and putting has a long way to go, lots of 3-putts and duffed chips.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
TEE XCG7 15*
Srixon Z545 4-PW
Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
John Byron DaleHead 2

Going pretty good. I figured my driver out over the winter and I'm bombing it (for me, not WRX). Last year my driver was my 200-220 club. First few times out this year I am hitting much more up on the ball carrying 250-265. Playing a fade this year versus a draw, so not much roll out, but I'm happy with this distance. Short game needs some work, my wedges are kinda crap at the moment.

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

Well mine has been like a bi-polar x-wife. I can go out one day and shoot 68-72 then the next shoot at smooth 76-79. My putting has been good not great. But my wedge game has been awful and that's all i've worked one for weeks now. My biggest issue is the course around me are not great at all. Greens are terrible and way inconsistent. Southwest Oklahoma golf is just terrible. Hopefully we can get some more rain and they can turn the greens around. If not I have a feeling this will be the way this year will go.

One of these days, I hope to set foot on a golf course again.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

So far, pretty good. The big issue for me is my shoulder and elbow issues. Although I tink part of that may be a lower back issue. I plan on going to a doctor after a trip to California in May and try to get to the root of the issue. When my shoulder and elbow feel fine, I play really well most of the time.

My home club is a fair, but tricky design. Last year I would think I was making progress and then I would play my home club and it would knock me down a notch or three.

This year that's been less of the case. And I think working with George Gankas, I'm really starting to figure out my biggest issues with the swing that have plagued me the most over the years and if I can at least avoid those, I've got a fighting chance to break 70.

I like my equipment. My modified EVNROLL is really working well. I love the G400Max. I like the combination of the P790 and P760 irons and I'm digging the TaylorMade wedges. I think the GAPR needs a new shaft.

I think I'm head in a very good direction and a little more reps, getting a little healthier and cleaning some things up in my swing...I can see a strong 2nd half of the year.

RH

Well, the bad news is, haven't even been able to hit a golf shot outside yet (damn snow). Good news is the club I joined last year has a legitimate golf simulator now, so based on the changes I've made I am looking forward to the season! I have a hard time trusting the simulator until I actually see how the ball is flying outside though.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Slowly improving. Rather than my slices of last season, I am battling nasty flip hooks and blocks

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Well, for me, I can't remember a time when I've been this discouraged with golf as I'm feeling early in this season.

I didn't play a ton over the winter, but we had decent weather from time to time and when I played I generally played well. Shot my low round of 2018 right before New Years (77), and had a few other pretty good rounds mixed in. I had been targeting this Spring to get new irons for the first time in 7 years and was very psyched up about that. I did a fitting in March and pulled the trigger on some Mizuno Hot Metal Pros, and it appears I made a terrible choice with the shaft I chose (Project X LZ.) I've just been unable to hit these since the day they came in. I now feel like my swing has totally fallen apart as I've tried to adjust myself to the new irons.

Anyway, we have a tournament at my club every April that I always play and have generally played well in over the years. I made a conscious decision that I would give the new Mizunos a try in a more competitive setting and so played the first round with them this past Saturday. While it wasn't an unmitigated disaster, it was pretty poor and I ended up shooting an 87, the highest round I can remember shooting in this particular tournament over the years. I decided after the round that I'd go back to my old irons (Ping i20's) for the second round and see if that could help me get a halfway not-so-horrendous swing going. Well, that round did turn out to be an unmitigated disaster. The card said I shot a 90, but it felt like it had to be over 100. I fatted so many iron shots it frankly felt embarrassing in front of my playing partners. I don't remember walking off a golf course feeling this discouraged in ages. My swing is now total garbage, I just wasted 1,000 bucks on clubs I can't hit (which may be coming to an ebay near you soon!), and I sort of have a feeling of dread about heading back out on the course.

I did talk to my pro about the situation with the clubs, and his thought was that he'd get me together with the Mizuno rep at a demo day we had scheduled for last week so that I could try the club with some different shafts and, hopefully, one of the other options would click. Unfortunately, the demo day got rained out and now won't be rescheduled until much later in the season. I probably need to just stop sulking about it, figure out the situation with my irons, and get back out there and keep plugging away. I'm thinking maybe take a couple of weeks off to let the funk clear out and try to start back a little fresh with hopefully a new mindset.

• Like 1

The golf gods are not being nice to me this year. So far my one planned round was rained out. Looking at my schedule on days I work it's really nice out, on days when I don't work and can play it's raining or frigid. This weekend being Easter, getting rain. Maybe next week unless even more rain.

Still going to try and play this Thursday cause it's suppose to be warm but cloudy which I have zero issue with.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Getting better. My swing changes don't feel so alien any longer and I'm getting straighter and longer drives (gained about 10%). My short game is improving as well.

Had a so-so competition on Saturday because my swing reverted but I realised what the problem was and eventually got back to form.

Hitting the range tomorrow. I actually took the last 2 years off from golf due to golf boredom, retired in 2006 and played 11 years straight averaging 175 rounds per year, got tired of same old courses , same old golfing buds, jokes and storys

actually I am excited to get back to golf.

Ping Rapture V2 10.5*/ Harrison Saga 70grms
TEE Trilogy 15*/ GD Tour AD
TEE Trilogy 18*/GD Tour AD
Adams Idea Pro 20* VS Proto
Srixon I701 Tour 4-Pw, Project X
Titleist Spin Milled 50*
Fourteen MT28 v5 56*
Taylormade Original itsy bitsy spider 33/370grms

Hope the OP gets sorted out soon and back on the course! I'm two years removed from a serious injury to my left arm, and it still hurts to this day. The last round I shot before the injury was a 1 over on a 9 hole track, with the lone bogey being a three putt GIR. Now, this year, I've played 4 rounds - 94, 95, 99 and finally an 87. Driving and approach are ok, but my short game is absolute pants - just throwing away strokes out of the sand, and chipping into the green. Just last week, I wrenched my back, so it's at least another week before I can swing a club again. Basically, the season here has gotten off to a miserable start, but I am so grateful that I can still swing a club with my arm the way it is.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

Three rounds in — 9, 18, & 16 holes — averaging 88 per 18. I've changed my driver setup for the better, hit 85% fairways last time out. Scoring still comes down to GIR/proximity and putting from 4-8 feet. Just picked up a new Betti, hoping to put some magic on the greens. Cheers!

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/