Looking for slightly more forgiving "player irons"

Z1ggy16

You may want to take a look at the Srixon 785 and 585's. If you like combo sets, these work well together. The z585 definitely launches higher and is great in lower lofter/long irons. Both have excellent feel and little offset/thin top line, to stay with the players look at address.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

> @"Long Shot" said:

> You may want to take a look at the Srixon 785 and 585's. If you like combo sets, these work well together. The z585 definitely launches higher and is great in lower lofter/long irons. Both have excellent feel and little offset/thin top line, to stay with the players look at address.

I liked the Z785's but I hit the P760's better. The 785's seemed a little more forgiving, but they weren't quite as fast and they didn't feel as soft. Never pulled the trigger on 760's because I felt the price was too high and I still felt the spin was a touch low. Touch to pull the trigger on $1300 irons having not seen the flight and results outdoors.

I would take a look at the Bridgestone j40s. I put mine up against the 745s and a few other Srixion sets on a monitor about two weeks ago and the Srixions were 3 yards longer, carry. For the price difference I'd leave that on the table, and I think the j40 DPCs might be the prettiest irons ever made in the bag and at address. Just my opinion. They are cheaper than the Srixions and I think they look better, but they are slightly shorter and larger.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> I would take a look at the Bridgestone j40s. I put mine up against the 745s and a few other Srixion sets on a monitor about two weeks ago and the Srixions were 3 yards longer, carry. For the price difference I'd leave that on the table, and I think the j40 DPCs might be the prettiest irons ever made in the bag and at address. Just my opinion. They are cheaper than the Srixions and I think they look better, but they are slightly shorter and larger.

As far as I can tell, these don't come in LH, which unfortunately is the only way I can hit a golf ball.

Zingy,

You can look at Taylormade preowned, or Callaway preowned websites,

They have irons in " like new " condition, the prices are good and they do

Have accept trade in to lower your price even more. Other OEM'smay do the

Same thing. I think Callaway.com is offering a 50 % trade in trade up special

Take a minute, and look. I have had great experiences from Callaway.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

AP2 is pretty much the standard. I'm looking to save some money so currently have a trial set of 714 and they are fantastic. They are still more forgiving than the 716CB despite above comments. That said, the 714 and especially 716 don't have the same LE grind and they definitely feel a bit sledgehammer-ish through the turf compared to the newer grind. Distance wise they are a wash. I hit the 714 just as well as the 718. I'd get a set of 714 for cheap and then put whatever shaft you like in. They keep up with anything, spin and launch very well, are forgiving as hell out the toe and look great.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > what will your set make up be? > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > Hate that term but it is what it is. Currently in some cb/mb combo's and while I love the feel and just the thought of gaming Miura's... They are pretty unforgiving on my miss, which is a little toey. I still want something classic looking but with just a little more forgiveness and something with fairly traditional lofts so I'm not sacrificing spin. Soft feel is a huge bonus.

> > >

> > > Short list are p750, p760, Apex pro (2014 and 2019), AP2 & maybe 919F or iBlade. I've tested MP-18SC and Z785 and wasn't a huge fan purely because of feel but I did get pretty good results from Z785. Also, am Lefty so that eliminates clubs like 919 Tour, etc. Not opposed to slightly older sets.

> >

> >

>

> I'll probably keep my P790 4i since it's nice off the tee and still lands fairly soft off the deck, so 5-PW on whatever my next set is.

>

> At this point I'm kiiiind of leaning S55 or Apex Pro '14 because there are sets out there for only like $350. Little beat up looking some, but nothing crazy. Unless I found a really good deal on something like AP19 or AP2 for $650 or less, I'd rather try to make an even swap or make some $$ out of this change.

Been playing '14 Apex Pro since they came out, haven't tried the '19 model yet, as don't see the need, the '14s are amazingly forgiving and feel great.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

The 718 AP2 is really special. Way better than previous AP2s.

I've played Wilson FG Tour V1/V2/V4, all were better than the 712/714/716 AP2s they would have been matched against; kinda BS that Wilson Staff Irons don't get the respect they deserve. I went from the FGV2 to the '14 Apex Pro, and the FGV4 knocked the Apex Pros from the bag...

The 718 AP2 is better than all of these. I also have heard insanely good things about the FG Tour V6, but since I no longer get free Wilson gear, I haven't tried them.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

> @Mahamilto said:

> The 718 AP2 is really special. Way better than previous AP2s.

>

> I've played Wilson FG Tour V1/V2/V4, all were better than the 712/714/716 AP2s they would have been matched against; kinda BS that Wilson Staff Irons don't get the respect they deserve. I went from the FGV2 to the '14 Apex Pro, and the FGV4 knocked the Apex Pros from the bag...

>

> The 718 AP2 is better than all of these. I also have heard insanely good things about the FG Tour V6, but since I no longer get free Wilson gear, I haven't tried them.

Tried the '19 Apex Pro's yet? Did you ever game the S55's?

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @Mahamilto said:

> > The 718 AP2 is really special. Way better than previous AP2s.

> >

> > I've played Wilson FG Tour V1/V2/V4, all were better than the 712/714/716 AP2s they would have been matched against; kinda BS that Wilson Staff Irons don't get the respect they deserve. I went from the FGV2 to the '14 Apex Pro, and the FGV4 knocked the Apex Pros from the bag...

> >

> > The 718 AP2 is better than all of these. I also have heard insanely good things about the FG Tour V6, but since I no longer get free Wilson gear, I haven't tried them.

>

> Tried the '19 Apex Pro's yet? Did you ever game the S55's?

'19 Apex Pros certainly look and wear better than the '14's, but didn't feel as soft as the '14s (or the 718AP2). They are longer I felt, but because of higher launch and lower spin... so it depends on what you are looking for. Not sure if they are more forgiving than the AP2, probably about the same? One thing for sure, I LOVE the sole and preworn leading edge on the AP2... so advantage titleist in that department. The whole apex line is great, but I would still take the AP2s.

S55s... well, let me put it this way, I don't think you could pay me to game those. I know there are going to be people who disagree, but I found them uninspiring in every department. Not that long, not very pretty, not forgiving, and feel like total plastic unless you nut them (I guess if you want feedback you got it?). That said, I've just never found a ping iron I liked. Too much offset, not enough feel.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Just got my set of Wilson FG Tour V6 irons and they are sweet. Sold my Mizuno MP 18SC's. The Wilson's are pretty small but seem more forgiving than the MP18's and are buttery soft. Weaker lofts than even the Mizunos but I've picked up distance with the Wilson's. That could also be shaft change though. Unfortunately the Wilson's are hard to find to hit and even 2 years into their production discounts on them are hard to find.

I really like the z785's. I switched from playing blades for 6 years, z965 and Mizunos before that.

I get much lower spin from z785's compared to z965, z forged, and all other blades.

I have hit some awful shots that end up on the fringe hole high for an easy up and down whereas before I'd be 20 yards short in some trouble.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

> @moorebaseball said:

> I have tried all of the irons you are looking at, and for me Titleist AP2 is the clear winner. Best feeling iron for the amount of forgiveness they offer, and I love the traditional lofts and high ball flight. My .02 ;)

> @moorebaseball said:

> I have tried all of the irons you are looking at, and for me Titleist AP2 is the clear winner. Best feeling iron for the amount of forgiveness they offer, and I love the traditional lofts and high ball flight. My .02 ;)

Ive had mutliple sets of AP2s and theyre on the low end of forgiveness as a fellow lefty Ive hit pretty much everything. The older Mizunos like the 53/54, Apex or Apex pro, 919 forged and my personal favorite the PXG 0311. You can get the 0311ts still in LH for gen1.

I've played every AP2 since 714 and the 718 is easily the best looks/feel/forgiveness.

There are so many good options out there.. I dabbled with MP-54 2 years ago and they are sweet sticks as well. Can easily find new or near new sets on the cheap and fortunately they are one of the Mizuno models that are available to us lefties.

• Like 1

AP2 definitely has its fans. I would play Bridgestone J15CB over the AP2’s I have tried, but I have not tried one extensively since the 712 because I don’t love the look and I recall them feeling clicky. (I did hit a few shots with my buddy’s 716’s while at Bandon but not a real test.) I do hear good things about the 718.

The J15CB has a simple,

clean look, tremendous sole and excellent distance. I was surprised how playable they are. Definitely more forgiving than AP2. Nice distance with slightly strong lofts (32 degree 7 iron.) if Kuchar and Snedeker can get it out there with these, they’re long enough cuz those guys are not big hitters. Mid blade length just right for me. For whatever reason, the feel of the AP2 to me is much more like a click at impact. The Titleist CB heads feel great by comparison. Also the J15CB is forged, the AP2 has a forged body with a steel face insert. I don’t care about forged vs multi-material, but I think the J15 has the better feel of these two, more like a Titleist CB.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I recently went to p790. These are great! Not too much offset, great feel, tons of tech, and very forgiving. They really are a great alternative to players irons.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

I'm pretty impressed with my Cobra Mb's. They are the previous model with the tungsten toe plug which I think helps me out when I hit out towards the toe on occasion but it keeps the club face very solid through impact I think. I've been wanting to try either the Srixon Z965 or the new Z-Forged so maybe give one of those a shot as they tend to be a slightly longer blade length which can help you out more when struck out of the toe.

Be sure to hit Ping i210 irons before you buy others. All i200 & i210 go straight and easy to hit. Good luck on your search. : )

Callaway Paradym 9* as 10* Graphite Design VR 6 S

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   4 - PW  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 55*/11  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 59*/11  Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw S

Titliest Vokey SM9 T-Grind Chrome 61*/ 5   TT DG S200

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @gdb99 said:

> > Look at the Maltby Play-ability Chart, and look for something with a higher C dimension.

>

> Yeah I did look at that actually. My Miura are listed and it's C dim is 1.084... pretty heel biased. What's a number to be around? 1.2 to 1.3?

Correct My gamers (588 mbs) are fairly small and the c dim is 1.24. For bigger clubs you would need at least 1.3 to be center.

> @gmacgolfer78 said:

> they sell a million ap2 sets because they are the gold standard that irons should be judged against

Pretty much. The 718 looks much less GI from address - almost indistinguishable from the CB and MB from the top due to the shaving off of the topline. Feels pure when struck well. Perfect turf interaction compared to 716 and earlier. Forgiving. Hard to do better.

I played MP-53s for 7 or 8 years and really liked them. I switched to a combo set of Callaway MBs and XForged. The XF offers some help, but the MBs only have a little forgiveness. I bought a set of Apex Pro 16s, mostly to try the shafts, and really like the forgiveness. My bad shot tends to be a little thin and the Apex Pro have enough weight down low to help. I want to try out the Apex Pro 19s to see if the cup face helps with ball speed on those off center hits.

I unequivocally recommend the mp54! I have played alot of irons in my past. 2 generations of Ap2 and mp59. Those are all good irons but don't have nearly the forgiveness of the mp54. I keep hearing everyone say they flight too high and are short. I disagree. They flight a perfect high trajectory if you find the right shaft. As far as distance yes they are conservatively lofted. My PW goes 135. My 7 iron 165. These are the same gappings I had with ap2 and mp59. Sure I could go buy TM 790 and my 7 iron legit goes 180. But who are we fooling.

• Like 1