Official Callaway Big Bertha V Series Member Testing and Review Thread

[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1412366330' post='10231029']
Played 18 yesterday at my usual course. It was a great day driving the ball with the BBV! I had several drives that were longer down the fairway than I've ever been off the tee box. I tried to get my buddy to hit it all day but he refused. Said he didn't want to hit it good and feel like he had to go out and spend $400 on one. But I could tell my drives were making an impression on him. Funny thing though, he has the green light from his wife to go out and buy whatever driver he wants. I'm sure he will cave and hit it over the next couple of rounds.
[/quote]

So it sounds like when you just play you are hitting it farther, vs testing a couple drivers on the course? EXCELLENT!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I let my brother take mine out for a test run the last couple days. He normally plays an 11 degree FTiZ and hits it pretty good. He definitely had more control with the Vseries but distance wasnt anything special. On a whim he cranked it up to the 12.5 degree setting and wow did it make a difference. By WRX standards he's not overly long, but a good solid drive for me may creep past 250 and he's consistently 15 yards past me. His distance increases were noticeable but nothing outrageous, probly 5-10 yards on average. The really eye opener was how controllable it was for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I did learn something about this driver or maybe the shaft. My last round on the first tee my drive with the BBV was an ugly snap hook. My buddy said what was that? You've been hitting that driver great the last few rounds. Same results on the 2nd and 3rd holes. I was shocked and so was he. The next hole was a par 3 and while waiting for the green to clear he said he thought I was really swinging hard on the previous drives. So on hole #4 I purposely made a slower smoother swing and the ball sailed right down the fairway. So going after it and swinging hard with this driver and shaft does not work, at least not for me. But keep it under control and smooth and the ball flies straight and long. But I still can't get my buddy to try the driver. He's scared to death it will wind up causing him to spend $400.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the BBv with a heavier a shaft - PX 7C3. I normally don't play 70g shafts in a driver but it was the only driver-length shaft I had that didn't have another OEM adapter on it. While this shaft isn't an ideal fit, it did perform better than the stock shaft for my aggressive swing. I still think the head is very good and plan to continue trying new shafts in it, mainly a 60g shaft like I normally play.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

• 2 weeks later...

Still loving this driver! Had my first legitimate 300 yard drive (no help from cart paths or dry ground that was hard as concrete) a couple of weekends ago. Card says 384 from the whites and I hit my tee shot right down the middle of the fairway. My ball was the longest out of the four of us which rarely happens with two of those guys. Get up to mine and the rangefinder says 52 yards to the pin. I couldn't believe it. We were all stunned. The BBV is the real deal. It's crazy how many fairways I can hit now with it too. It's almost automatic.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

[quote name='ajschn06' timestamp='1415196100' post='10399981']
I agree great stick. My brother has it in his bag right now because the performance upgrades he was getting from it were astronomical compared to what I was getting. It's legitimately 15-20 yards longer and more accurate than his FT-IZ. I'm jealous because I was only getting an extra 5-10 yards :(
[/quote]

I think it has to fit your swing. It either works for you or not. I guess that's more the shaft that's in it. The regular flex and a slower swing speed really work well together. Add the more forgiving head and it is a great club. I'm really liking mine.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1415202389' post='10400395']
[quote name='ajschn06' timestamp='1415196100' post='10399981']
I agree great stick. My brother has it in his bag right now because the performance upgrades he was getting from it were astronomical compared to what I was getting. It's legitimately 15-20 yards longer and more accurate than his FT-IZ. I'm jealous because I was only getting an extra 5-10 yards :(
[/quote]

I think it has to fit your swing. It either works for you or not. I guess that's more the shaft that's in it. The regular flex and a slower swing speed really work well together. Add the more forgiving head and it is a great club. I'm really liking mine.
[/quote]

That's the thing, it fits what I like in a driver. Lighter shaft and all, very comparable to my SL290 with a better feel and a little hotter face. My bro has no business swinging a regular flex shaft, much higher swing speed than me, and he pummels this thing straight and with a good ball flight. Huge callaway fanboy throughout the bag and just loves this club...

I was finally able to get an adapter on a 60g shaft (Tour AD DJ-6) to try out in the BBv head. I've only been able to try the combo out on the range but early results have been great. I will need to test it out some more, especially on the course, but it could find its way into the bag. The look, sound, and feel are really great IMO. Hopefully the weather will hold off a little longer so I can get some more time with it.

So for those that have tried it and didn't like it, don't discount trying another shaft in it. Changing the shaft really turned the driver around for me. In the stock form I thought it was a good driver, just not great. With a shaft that better suits me, it seems to be knocking on that really good/great door.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

• 2 weeks later...

I see that the U Design option is available for the V Series.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/mens/drivers/drivers-2015-big-bertha-v-series-udesign.html

I like the color scheme as it is now but for those that don't you have an option now.

Those who got drivers to test, are you still playing it? I am and I can't see it going anywhere now. It's been working so good for me that I am wanting to try the 3W in that series.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

I am not an official tester but would like to chip in with my own observation. First of all I am not a big hitter at all. My usual drive is around 240-250 yards range with the occasional 260-270 if I really try (downhill, downwind & down grain :taunt: ). My current driver is a RBZ stage 2 9.5deg with a speeder 661 s flex. The BBV I tested is a 9.5 deg with speeder 565 S flex.

First thing I observed is that the ball flight is much higher than the RBZ. Too high for my liking in fact. Second thing is a smooth tempo work best, like a lot of people said. In fact, I found that it doesn't work for me at all if I force it. It's pretty accurate though and the ball usually stay on line quite well. The problem for me is that since I cannot force it I am not getting as much distance as compare to the RBZ. This is especially true when playing into the wind due to the high ball flight. My findings on the course was back up by a session at the range with a launch monitor.

Overall I think this driver will suit someone with a smooth tempo looking for a high ball flight. For me though I am staying with the RBZ for the time being. Hope this help.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up a 10.5 V series driver. I am currently playing an X2hot 9* with a Project PXv 6.0 39 gram shaft which has been tipped 1.5 to 2 inches, shaft plays like a soft X.
X2Hot head weighs 185 grams making swing weight C-9, V Series head weighs 187 grams making swing weight D-1with the Project PXv shaft.
The V Series Driver is a lot more forgiving than the X2hot, both heads are long when hit well.
I have to give the edge to the new V series in looks and playability, very forgiving, the head and shaft combination produced a high flat ball flight. Feel/sound was a bit softer than X2hot.
Over all I am pleased with the way the V series driver performs. :smilie_cally:

Can anyone attest to what is a higher spinning head the BBv or BB? I need spin and looking to swap out my RFE for either so I am looking at those 2 heads.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

[quote name='OrangeCrush' timestamp='1417131817' post='10511723']
Can anyone attest to what is a higher spinning head the BBv or BB? I need spin and looking to swap out my RFE for either so I am looking at those 2 heads.
[/quote][quote name='OrangeCrush' timestamp='1417131817' post='10511723']
[/quote]

• 4 years later...

Do you think this driver can still keep up with 2018/2019 models?

I am looking for something below 300 grams total and this is one of the few affordable options out there.

Thanks!

Driver: Callaway Paradym X w/ HZRDUS Silver 50 5.5
5W: Callaway Mavrik Max w/ Riptide 60 5.5
5i: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3 

6i-GW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3
52*: Mizuno S23 S-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
58*: Mizuno S23 D-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
Putter: Yes! Hannah

> @SteelyDan said:

> Do you think this driver can still keep up with 2018/2019 models?

> I am looking for something below 300 grams total and this is one of the few affordable options out there.

> Thanks!

Have you looked into some of the Wilson offerings? D300 especially?

Forever Changing at this point.......

> @SteelyDan said:

> Do you think this driver can still keep up with 2018/2019 models?

> I am looking for something below 300 grams total and this is one of the few affordable options out there.

> Thanks!

Coincidentally, I picked up a used V-Series just yesterday. Had played a G400 for the past 7 or 8 months. Just could never develop an intimate relationship with the G400. I hit some great drives with it. The consistency, though, was not there.

The V-Series has the stock Bassarra regular flex shaft. From just 18 holes, I found the V-Series a tad bit longer than where I had normally been with the G400. The huge difference was the consistency. With the G400, I had a slight fade. A little too quick on the swing and that fade would turn into a bad slice. The V-Series brought notice from my regular playing partners since I was hitting a dead straight, to a slight draw all day long. The sound and feel were fine.

One round is not enough to make a long term analysis. Just saw your post and was interested since I had picked up one.

> @"Papa Johick" said:

> > @SteelyDan said:

> > Do you think this driver can still keep up with 2018/2019 models?

> > I am looking for something below 300 grams total and this is one of the few affordable options out there.

> > Thanks!

>

>

> Have you looked into some of the Wilson offerings? D300 especially?

>

Interesting you mention it - yes I have but could not get past the Vortex Generators on top of the crown. Yesterday, I bumped into a real good offer for its successor D7, which looks awesome. It's very light and supposed to sound and feel real good, too. I will give it a try.

> @willie991 said:

> > @SteelyDan said:

> > Do you think this driver can still keep up with 2018/2019 models?

> > I am looking for something below 300 grams total and this is one of the few affordable options out there.

> > Thanks!

>

> Coincidentally, I picked up a used V-Series just yesterday. Had played a G400 for the past 7 or 8 months. Just could never develop an intimate relationship with the G400. I hit some great drives with it. The consistency, though, was not there.

> The V-Series has the stock Bassarra regular flex shaft. From just 18 holes, I found the V-Series a tad bit longer than where I had normally been with the G400. The huge difference was the consistency. With the G400, I had a slight fade. A little too quick on the swing and that fade would turn into a bad slice. The V-Series brought notice from my regular playing partners since I was hitting a dead straight, to a slight draw all day long. The sound and feel were fine.

> One round is not enough to make a long term analysis. Just saw your post and was interested since I had picked up one.

Thanks for your thoughts. Always good to know that older models can outperform newer ones if the fit is right.

> @SteelyDan said:

> > @"Papa Johick" said:

> > > @SteelyDan said:

> > > Do you think this driver can still keep up with 2018/2019 models?

> > > I am looking for something below 300 grams total and this is one of the few affordable options out there.

> > > Thanks!

> >

> >

> > Have you looked into some of the Wilson offerings? D300 especially?

> >

>

> Interesting you mention it - yes I have but could not get past the Vortex Generators on top of the crown. Yesterday, I bumped into a real good offer for its successor D7, which Looks awesome. It's very light and supposed to sound and feel real good, to. I will give it a try.

thats awesome!

yes the D7 is a good option as well. I have hit it a few times and I enjoy what it sounded like. much better than D300. Didn't know what it's weight was though. Plus clean look from above and bottom. Good luck to you!

> @"Papa Johick" said:

> yes the D7 is a good option as well. I have hit it a few times and I enjoy what it sounded like. much better than D300. Didn't know what it's weight was though. Plus clean look from above and bottom. Good luck to you!

It's in the 280ish grams total weight range, so just a bit more than the D300. Which is also is a bit strange because they say they managed to save some 20g by dumping the adjustable hosel...

> @SteelyDan said:

> > @"Papa Johick" said:

> > yes the D7 is a good option as well. I have hit it a few times and I enjoy what it sounded like. much better than D300. Didn't know what it's weight was though. Plus clean look from above and bottom. Good luck to you!

>

> It's in the 280ish grams total weight range, so just a bit more than the D300. Which is also is a bit strange because they say they managed to save some 20g by dumping the adjustable hosel...

>

They also have much more carbon in the crown i thought right?

Im assuming they added some weight/hotmelt into certain parts of the head to help with sound and make it a tad more draw bias?

> @"Papa Johick" said:

> > @SteelyDan said:

> > > @"Papa Johick" said:

> > > yes the D7 is a good option as well. I have hit it a few times and I enjoy what it sounded like. much better than D300. Didn't know what it's weight was though. Plus clean look from above and bottom. Good luck to you!

> >

> > It's in the 280ish grams total weight range, so just a bit more than the D300. Which is also is a bit strange because they say they managed to save some 20g by dumping the adjustable hosel...

> >

>

> They also have much more carbon in the crown i thought right?

>

> Im assuming they added some weight/hotmelt into certain parts of the head to help with sound and make it a tad more draw bias?

Yeah good point, seems so.