Mizuno ST 190 Driver

flushem

I went to the local demo day today just to hit all the new toys. Love doing it every chance I get :-). Hit a bunch of the newer irons from Srixon, Mizuno, Ping, and Callaway. Lots of great clubs but nothing I felt passionate about changing to. I really had not planned to try drivers, but had the time so hit the XXIO, Ping G410, M6, and Mizuno.

The first Mizuno handed to me was shafted with the Tensei blue stiff 60.

Mine should be here next Tuesday :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

> @rxk9fan said:

> I went to the local demo day today just to hit all the new toys. Love doing it every chance I get :-). Hit a bunch of the newer irons from Srixon, Mizuno, Ping, and Callaway. Lots of great clubs but nothing I felt passionate about changing to. I really had not planned to try drivers, but had the time so hit the XXIO, Ping G410, M6, and Mizuno.

> The first Mizuno handed to me was shafted with the Tensei blue stiff 60.

> Mine should be here next Tuesday :-)

Awesome. Taking mine out this afternoon for first real test ride. I have the Tensei White. Seems like the Tensei White and Blue are solid performers in this club. Did you try any other shafts?

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

I'm enjoying the Atmos TS Black with the 9.5º head

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

> @bbfifas said:

> > @rxk9fan said:

> > I went to the local demo day today just to hit all the new toys. Love doing it every chance I get :-). Hit a bunch of the newer irons from Srixon, Mizuno, Ping, and Callaway. Lots of great clubs but nothing I felt passionate about changing to. I really had not planned to try drivers, but had the time so hit the XXIO, Ping G410, M6, and Mizuno.

> > The first Mizuno handed to me was shafted with the Tensei blue stiff 60.

> > Mine should be here next Tuesday :-)

>

> Awesome. Taking mine out this afternoon for first real test ride. I have the Tensei White. Seems like the Tensei White and Blue are solid performers in this club. Did you try any other shafts?

I honestly did not. The guys running the Mizuno table were fitters from a nearby town that have built me a couple of sets of irons and I have done a couple of Trackman sessions with them. I told them I was still playing a HZRDUS black 6.0 and they handed me this club. I hit a handful of balls and for me just crushed them. Then I tried 3 different brands before going back to the Mizuno guys. I asked to hit it again thinking it was a fluke few balls before. I hit one more and turned around to the fitter and he said "sold" as he laughed (It was perfect trajectory, right where I aimed, and bounced into the fence at the end of the range). I handed it back to him and placed the order. You hear the statement I am about to say around here a lot, but not from me....I could not have hit anything better than I hit this combo. I am 60 years old and my last Trackman session showed pretty average numbers that probably fit well with this pretty average shaft (driver ss average was 105). I have never been a big fan of the look of the Tensei series for some reason but this was the first driver I have ever hit that had a feel that was almost like hitting a forged blade pure. The ball just kind of melted into the face, or at least much more so than my M2(which I went back to after playing an M4 and PingG 400 last year).

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Tried my favorite Proforce V2 for a bit in the 190G head but put the Atmos black back in yesterday and was killing it. Going to stick with this combo now, but an I am impressed with the distance of this club. Z Stars felt amazing off the face. Still loving this driver even the the G400 tries to sneak it's way back in now and then, but I can not take the Mizzy out.

Ping G430 LST 9*  HZRDUS RDX blue pvd 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19*/22* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Ping i230 5-P KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

ST190 is a great head and just as long as anything else on the market. I've hit it on course, side by side with M series, Cally Flash, and TS for reference.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Played my first 9 with the 190/Tensei White combo the other day at unfamiliar course. 20 mph wind so tough to judge, swing was not great all my strikes were low on the face but was very pleased with the straightness/distance of shots in the windy conditions and face strike location.

Hit the range today in a dead headwind of 20 mph with gusts to 30. A little ridiculous.. I hit my 7 iron anywhere from 120-150 yards depending on the gusts. Driver performed really great into the wind a real surprise for me. Not much ballooning at all and kept line very well. For some reason I can't slice this club like I could with my previous drivers. That is a good thing for me. So far very stable feel, straight shots, not ballooning, minimal side movement and the feel is just spot on. Driver is not loud like my previous Ping G that was ear piercing.

Playing Sunday on a familiar course and hoping for some good conditions to get a real comparison.

PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 

Finally got my first round in with the Tensei White/ST-190G and wowza! I think I’m in love ?

First s*** ever was 300 down the middle in front of random peeps. The driver is a monster. In my fitting, I was hitting fades. On the course I was getting straight or draws. And for someone who struggles with height on tee shots in the past, this head at 9* with an 80 gram x flex shaft was launching higher but not too high.

Seriously think I’m in love. Sounds amazing too. Ugh

• Like 1

Long is relative to the player but for my abilities this driver is long and I love the feel!

This one club brought the tips back into play for me. This shaft/head combo has given me a legit 20 yards which is a two club difference for me. I am better with my 7i than my 5i :-)

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Took my G400 out this past round... I don't think it is any more forgiving than the ST190 and I get more roll out of the Mizuno. May be the first driver that pushes me to offload the Ping....

> @Nixhex524 said:

> Took my G400 out this past round... I don't think it is any more forgiving than the ST190 and I get more roll out of the Mizuno. May be the first driver that pushes me to offload the Ping....

I know what you mean. I tried to leave my M2 for the G400 and M3 last year only to come back to the M2. The 190ST caused the M2 to be taken out of the bag and sold. I am sure the 190ST will be replaced but it won't be replaced by anything currently available. First Mizuno driver I have liked even a little bit has become my favorite driver I have ever hit!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

The reviews on the ST 190 seem to be overwhelmingly positive. I am going to demo one of these soon, maybe it will kick the Epic Flash SZ out of the bag!

Ping G410 9* - Tensei Orange 60 S
Callaway Epic Flash 15* - Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Ping G410 19* - Tensei Blue 80 S
Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-Gw - KBS C Taper Lite S
Callaway MD4 Chrome 54* and 58* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115
Too Many Putters to List!
Vessel Lite Black Camo
Titleist Pro V1x

So I went in for a fitting almost completely sure I was going to get a new g410, I just needed help deciding on the shaft. After a while of hitting different combos I decided to try some other heads to make sure the 410 was the best for me. To be completely honest I expected nearly the same results from all heads so I was more concerned about the shaft. Almost the last head I tried by chance was the 190 and after about 4 swings I was blown away, with the same shaft I was hitting it 10-15 yards further than the 410 and it felt/sounded better to me, I honestly couldn’t believe it. I also tried the highly venerated F9 but the 190 beat that as well. Im not sure why but for my swing the Mizuno Just works. I’m a big ping guy but I couldn’t ignore those numbers and I can’t wait for my new driver to come in

• Like 1

I was fitted for my ST190 with the KK70X tipped an inch. I am trying to use more hands in my swing and less body and felt a lighter shaft may help reduce tension in swing. I purchased an Aldila Rogue IO 60x to experiment with and really like the lighter feel. I hit 2 of the longest drives of the season with the new lighter shaft. Looks like the KK70x is going to hit the BST!

Had a fitting last week and the after trying everything out there ST190 with VA Slay Shaft ended up outperforming everything. I usually play a 10.5 driver too, but the 9.5 and Slay combo was giving me optimal height and low spin number fitter was after.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

> @bbfifas said:

> Played my first 9 with the 190/Tensei White combo the other day at unfamiliar course. 20 mph wind so tough to judge, swing was not great all my strikes were low on the face but was very pleased with the straightness/distance of shots in the windy conditions and face strike location.

>

> Hit the range today in a dead headwind of 20 mph with gusts to 30. A little ridiculous.. I hit my 7 iron anywhere from 120-150 yards depending on the gusts. Driver performed really great into the wind a real surprise for me. Not much ballooning at all and kept line very well. For some reason I can't slice this club like I could with my previous drivers. That is a good thing for me. So far very stable feel, straight shots, not ballooning, minimal side movement and the feel is just spot on. Driver is not loud like my previous Ping G that was ear piercing.

>

> Playing Sunday on a familiar course and hoping for some good conditions to get a real comparison.

OK played my usual course yesterday. Confirmed best driver for me over the years, getting fit is for real. Even on the range warming up I hit the back bushes a few times, something I have not down in a long long time. But beyond that this club feels amazing and performance is just there. I only missed 2 fairways! And that was towards end of the round when I got over confident and swung out of my shoes. Early on in the round I was hitting the club low on the face again (my typical miss as I stand up) but even with that the ball was flying straight and out to around 230ish. Very playable and good distance considering the miss hit compared to my previous drivers. I hit 3 drives that were in spots on the course I have not been in over 10 years with a legit ~20 yard gain for me on the course on these well struck shots. So I would say: great ball speeds all over the face and even very low on the face, forgiveness is high, the sound and feel is perfect, ball wants to go straight I have not had any large hooks or large slices, and the looks of the club is subjective but very nice look at set up and confidence inspiring.

PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 

Thank you, very use full. i did not know that setting #7 actually increased the lie angle to 59.5*.

kua1z848p4q5.png

• Like 2

TAY; 7.5* SIM  SPEEDER 57  S.  (44 3/4")

TTL; 13.5* TSI 2 DIA BLU 70 S.  (42 7/8")

SRZ; 18* 85 U STEELFIBER 95I S. ( 39 3/4")

Cal; 4/5i EPIC, 6i-7i MVRK PR, 8i-PW MB  

Cal; 52* X FRG STK W. 
Cal;  ODYSSEY W B/W 

• 2 weeks later...

What shaft are you guys seeing the most success with?

Specifically looking for feedback on the Tensei Orange

Driver: Stealth Plus 10.5* Ventus Red
Fairway: Ping G400 17* Tour AD-DI
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Tour AD-DI
Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 4 and 5 iron Steelfiber i95
Irons: New Level 623 CB Aerotech Steelfiber i80
Wedges: Fourteen RM-4 50*, 56* and 61*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Liking mine with the Atmos black 6 TS, but very interested in trying the Tensei blue.

> @Nixhex524 said:

> Liking mine with the Atmos black 6 TS. . . .

Ditto

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

> @LCGALBERTA said:

> I haven't bagged a driver since 2015, but I finally purchased a ST190 this past weekend...WOW I LOVE IT!!!

> Pros:

> 1. Great look from address

> 2. Great feel and sound

>

> Cons:

> 1. Can't think of any lol

>

> I think we will see more of the ST190 on tour this year, for sure.

Awesome, can't wait for mine to arrive, any day now.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

I started out with the Atmos TS 6x but put a Diamana x17 70x in it and its even better. I dont think its a lot longer but the dispersion is fantastic. Really good. I just picked up a 190G to try as well. Should be even lower spin.

All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

With the stock shaft for the ST190 being the Atmos 5 (~55g), has anybody checked what the swingweight is at standard length with that shaft? I'm a little surprised Mizuno has gone with such a light shaft as the standard offering - chasing the swing speed/distance prize I guess! Anyway, just curious what the sw is with the stock shaft and what it might be with a ~65g shaft like the Atmos 6 or Tensei blue? I contacted Mizuno to see if they offer heavier weights to install in the head, and they said they don't - they said you'd need to apply lead tape to get the weight up. I like to play my driver at 44.5" and D-5 sw, so if it starts at let's say, D-2 at 45", then that's going to take a lot of lead tape! (not to mention the change to the cosmetics of a pretty good-looking driver!). Interestingly, Mizuno doesn't show the sw for the ST190 on their website - it just says Swingweight N/A... Any info you can share would be appreciated!

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5, Grafalloy ProLite S

Mizuno JPX 850 3W @ 13*

Mizuno JPX 850 5W @ 16*

Mizuno MP-20 3-PW, 2* Up, DG 120 S

Mizuno S18 Wedges 50, 56

Putter - always changing!

> @andyville99 said:

> With the stock shaft for the ST190 being the Atmos 5 (~55g), has anybody checked what the swingweight is at standard length with that shaft? I'm a little surprised Mizuno has gone with such a light shaft as the standard offering - chasing the swing speed/distance prize I guess! Anyway, just curious what the sw is with the stock shaft and what it might be with a ~65g shaft like the Atmos 6 or Tensei blue? I contacted Mizuno to see if they offer heavier weights to install in the head, and they said they don't - they said you'd need to apply lead tape to get the weight up. I like to play my driver at 44.5" and D-5 sw, so if it starts at let's say, D-2 at 45", then that's going to take a lot of lead tape! (not to mention the change to the cosmetics of a pretty good-looking driver!). Interestingly, Mizuno doesn't show the sw for the ST190 on their website - it just says Swingweight N/A... Any info you can share would be appreciated!

Theres a thread on this forum where someone has taken out the weight and changed them out. Check it out.

• Like 1

PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB